Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Bryan Fuller working on a TV remake of THE MUNSTERS? And Guillermo del Toro is rumored to be involved too?

Consider this an early Halloween present from me to you: Pushing Daisies mastermind Bryan Fuller is toiling away on a modern-day reboot of the creepshow classic The Munsters!

So far, NBC, with whom Fuller has an overall deal, has ordered only a pilot. But since the potential series is being described to me as “Modern Family meets True Blood,” I have a good feeling about it.

Not only that, but rumor has it no less than Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) is eyeing a behind-the-scenes role in the project.

So, um, once you’ve picked your jaw up off the floor, let’s see the synonyms for “amazing” you come up with to describe the very notion of this show below.

I think Brad Garret is the first name that comes to mind when we think of an actor for Herman. I also nominate Ken Jenkins as Grandpa!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Re: The Munsters Today...again. With Fuller! (And GDT?)

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Bryan Fuller.

That is all I needed to read.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Good talent behind it, but is this really needed?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Good talent behind it, but is this really needed?

That is a fair question. And of course I would have LOVED to have seen Fuller create something of his own. But this seems like something that could be fun, even if it is unnecessary.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Modern Family meets True Blood

so they are going to faux documentary route but with monsters? For NBC?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 pm

This should be good. Hopefully they keep the Wayans brothers away from this.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

That is a fair question. And of course I would have LOVED to have seen Fuller create something of his own. But this seems like something that could be fun, even if it is unnecessary.

Well he has The Lotus Caves
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I had forgotten, despite the fact that I posted in the thread.

Thanks!

Great news!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:07 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I had forgotten, despite the fact that I posted in the thread.

Thanks!

Great news!

It sounds like a much more interesting project, imho.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:54 am

Well, it's probably not NECESSARY, but I can imagine that this will be a whole different take on The Munsters, that steers far, far away from the classic laugh track sitcom that the original was. Kinda like the Barry Sonnenfeld Addams Family movies relate to the 60's sitcom.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:33 pm

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=16837

So apparently Eddie is gonna eat boyscouts. Sounds good to me.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby buster00 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Utterly unnecessary, but if they're going to bother, they'd better get Brad Garrett to play Herman or they're wasting their time.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:29 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=16837

I don't mind them playing with the tone of the show, taking it into true black comedy territory could be cool, but come on dumbasses, Eddie is a vampire, not a werewolf

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Peven wrote:

I don't mind them playing with the tone of the show, taking it into true black comedy territory could be cool, but come on dumbasses, Eddie is a vampire, not a werewolf

I thought he was a werewolf with vampire tendencies....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:40 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Peven wrote:

actually, i never watched the show regularly, we didn't get that channel :( i don't ever remember him "wolfing out", just that he had the whole vampire hairline and get up and so i always had him classified in my mind as a vampire....as a fictional character of course :wink: ....maybe there was an episode that referenced his wolfiness that i was unaware of?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 am

Peven wrote:
Peven wrote:

actually, i never watched the show regularly, we didn't get that channel :( i don't ever remember him "wolfing out", just that he had the whole vampire hairline and get up and so i always had him classified in my mind as a vampire....as a fictional character of course :wink: ....maybe there was an episode that referenced his wolfiness that i was unaware of?

There wolf ----> woof
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 am

Peven wrote:
Peven wrote:

There wolf ----> woof

right. that is what wiki and imdb is for. always check your references... :oops: :(

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 am

reading about Eddie Munster got me wondering if they are going to keep Marilyn in it the way she was protrayed or will it not be considered insensitive to have the pretty lbonde worried about being considered plain and unattractive compared to the rest of her family?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Rise of The Munsters and Frankenstein

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 pm

From THR:
'The Munsters': 'Pushing Daisies' Creator Takes Second Stab at Remake With NBC

Lesley Goldberg wrote:First Frankenstein now The Munsters? NBC seems to have a thing for big, tall green men.

As first reported by TV Guide, the network is developing a remake of The Munsters with Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

New NBC Entertainment topper Robert Greenblatt is said to like the idea of a remake and has asked Fuller to take another attempt at the project.

Fuller and NBC first made an attempt to revive the 1960s CBS sitcom last year, with the Peacock ultimately passing.

Fuller’s new look is said to be an edgier and slightly darker hourlong take exploring origins of Herman and Lily Munster (Fred Gwynne and Yvonne De Carlo) and how they arrived at the famed 1313 Mockingbird Lane address.

Like NBC’s recent script order for Frankenstein, Universal Media Studios will produce.

The original series, produced by Universal Studios, aired 70 episodes from 1964 to 1966 on CBS. The series has proved strong in syndication, ultimately drawing a spinoff, The Munsters Today, which ran from 1988 to 1991 and lasted 72 episodes. A feature film, Munster, Go Home, and a 1981 NBC telefilm, The Munsters’ Revenge with the original cast, also stemmed from the original property.

It’s been a big week for reboots, with CBS also ordering a script for a Bewitched reboot.

NBC Gives Life to 'Frankenstein' Reboot
Lesley Goldberg wrote:NBC is following in FX’s footsteps and exploring the horror genre, with a script order for Frankenstein.

The script, described as a modern-day take on the legend of Frankenstein, will be penned by House executive producers Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner for Universal Media Studios and BermanBraun.

The script order follows FX’s series order for Glee duo Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk’s “psycho-sexual” horror drama American Horror Story, which FX topper John Landgraf referred to as a “breakthrough commercial piece of television that’s going to be imitated widely if people find it.”

Universal Studios owns the intellectual property rights to Frankenstein, as well as such other classic characters as Dracula, the Wolfman and the Mummy.

The legend of Frankenstein was first told via Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel. The first film project, directed by J. Searle Dawley, came in 1910, with reboots including Universal’s 1931 Boris Karloff starrer. Universal was behind a series of films featuring the classic characters from 1942-48. The character was famously spoofed via Mel Brooks’ 1974 spoof Young Frankenstein.

The story was adapted for TV in 1973 with Leonard Whiting, Michael Sarrazin, James Mason and Jane Seymour. Other takes have included the TNT telefilm in 1993 with Patrick Bergin and Randy Quaid.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Brocktune on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 am

does anybody besides me even remember that piece of shit the munsters today? fuck, i have been trolling comic con for years hoping someone would have a bootleg collection of that crap. im dying to see it again. john Schuck as Hoimin Munster? whatta trainwreck! its funny cuz my brother and i were just talking about how star trek tng was like the only good thing to come out of that era of "the new" style 60's shows revisited. The new leave it to beaver, the new gidget, the new monkees, etc etc...

they should just give the munsters today another chance. it was truly ahead of its time. what a revolutionary piece of television! we're the munsters........ todaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 am

I remember it. (Hence the title of the thread) And I loved it! In all fairness: that was more than 20 years ago and I was under the age of 10, so if you say that it was horrible, I won't argue against it, because there is a chance that you might be right.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 am

Brocktune wrote:does anybody besides me even remember that piece of shit the munsters today? fuck, i have been trolling comic con for years hoping someone would have a bootleg collection of that crap. im dying to see it again. john Schuck as Hoimin Munster? whatta trainwreck! its funny cuz my brother and i were just talking about how star trek tng was like the only good thing to come out of that era of "the new" style 60's shows revisited. The new leave it to beaver, the new gidget, the new monkees, etc etc...

they should just give the munsters today another chance. it was truly ahead of its time. what a revolutionary piece of television! we're the munsters........ todaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

youtube to the rescue!

careful what you wish for though. proceed at your own risk. you've been warned.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I remember it. (Hence the title of the thread) And I loved it! In all fairness: that was more than 20 years ago and I was under the age of 10, so if you say that it was horrible, I won't argue against it, because there is a chance that you might be right.

you know how there was shit from your childhood, and sometimes when you revisit it years later, it still holds up? or conversely there are ties when it really doesnt hold up. of course there are those times where it holds up for you, but you realize that it really IS a piece of shit, yet for whatever reason, you still dig it? one of those scenarios has to apply here!

TheBaxter wrote:
Brocktune wrote:does anybody besides me even remember that piece of shit the munsters today? fuck, i have been trolling comic con for years hoping someone would have a bootleg collection of that crap. im dying to see it again. john Schuck as Hoimin Munster? whatta trainwreck! its funny cuz my brother and i were just talking about how star trek tng was like the only good thing to come out of that era of "the new" style 60's shows revisited. The new leave it to beaver, the new gidget, the new monkees, etc etc...

youtube to the rescue!

careful what you wish for though. proceed at your own risk. you've been warned.

dude! omg!!! but where was that classic theme song? and i dont mean the original! and was that alan eekian from summer school and reuben kinkcaid from the partridge family? you gotta wonder what anybody who actually took that crap seriously was thinking! its like damnation alley or something!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 pm

That theme was soooo dreadful. "We went to sleep, many years ago/and we woke up with a brand new show!" Then them all chanting, "We're the Munsters, TODAY!"

Gods help me for remembering that.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:49 am

DennisMM wrote:That theme was soooo dreadful. "We went to sleep, many years ago/and we woke up with a brand new show!" Then them all chanting, "We're the Munsters, TODAY!"

Gods help me for remembering that.

i grok your pain brother. it has haunted me since my childhood.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:01 am

Bryan Fuller’s NBC Double: ‘Daisies’ Creator Has Two Projects Eyeing Series Orders
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:Within the next month or so, Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller may have two series on NBC. He is behind two high-profile projects, The Munsters and Hannibal, both of them on a script-to-series track. Fuller originally developed a reboot of the 1960s comedy series The Munsters last season and his was one of very few scripts new NBC chief Bob Greenblatt kept in play when he took over the network in January. Greenblatt rolled the project to get it redeveloped by his team. Fuller’s new outline submitted in Septemer was received well (it was the talk of NBC’s pre-Emmy party), and his draft was just delivered on Friday. Word is that NBC, which may pull the trigger on a series order as early as this week, envisions the new Munsters as a potential summer or event series. Like Fuller’s previous series, Pushing Daisies, the project features striking visuals mixed with all the classic Munsters archetypes. Grandpa Sam Dracula is essentially Dracula who assembled Herman because no man was good enought for his daughter Lily, a sexy vamp. Lily’s niece Marilyn the freak is actually normal and Lily and Herman’s only child, Eddie, has his werewolf tendencies surface in puberty, forcing the family to relocate to their famous 1313 Mockingbird Lane address.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:03 pm

TheButcher wrote:Bryan Fuller’s NBC Double: ‘Daisies’ Creator Has Two Projects Eyeing Series Orders
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:Within the next month or so, Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller may have two series on NBC. He is behind two high-profile projects, The Munsters and Hannibal, both of them on a script-to-series track. Fuller originally developed a reboot of the 1960s comedy series The Munsters last season and his was one of very few scripts new NBC chief Bob Greenblatt kept in play when he took over the network in January. Greenblatt rolled the project to get it redeveloped by his team. Fuller’s new outline submitted in Septemer was received well (it was the talk of NBC’s pre-Emmy party), and his draft was just delivered on Friday. Word is that NBC, which may pull the trigger on a series order as early as this week, envisions the new Munsters as a potential summer or event series. Like Fuller’s previous series, Pushing Daisies, the project features striking visuals mixed with all the classic Munsters archetypes. Grandpa Sam Dracula is essentially Dracula who assembled Herman because no man was good enought for his daughter Lily, a sexy vamp. Lily’s niece Marilyn the freak is actually normal and Lily and Herman’s only child, Eddie, has his werewolf tendencies surface in puberty, forcing the family to relocate to their famous 1313 Mockingbird Lane address.

Bring it on. If for no other reason then to see what a sexy vamp Lily turns out to be.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm

I read last night on AVClub.com that Marilyn Munster was inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Huh? Munster was a quietly pretty young thing. About all she had in common with Monroe was blonde hair and the name.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 pm

DennisMM wrote:I read last night on AVClub.com that Marilyn Munster was inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Huh? Munster was a quietly pretty young thing. About all she had in common with Monroe was blonde hair and the name.

And those rocket ship shaped boobs
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 pm

so sorry wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I read last night on AVClub.com that Marilyn Munster was inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Huh? Munster was a quietly pretty young thing. About all she had in common with Monroe was blonde hair and the name.

And those rocket ship shaped boobs

The space program would get piles of new funding if their rocket ships were shaped like boobs.

Come on, rocket scientists! Get going on that! We'd be on Mars now if rocket ships were shaped like boobs!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 am

Bryan Singer To Direct And Produce NBC’s ‘The Munsters’ Reboot
Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE: NBC’s The Munsters will be brought to you by The Bryans. X-Men and Superman Returns helmer Bryan Singer is finalizing a deal to direct and executive produce Bryan Fuller’s reboot of the 1960s comedy, which recently received a pilot order by NBC. Universal Television is producing the project, described as an imaginative reinvention of The Munsters as a visually spectacular one-hour drama. Singer, who had been interested in the project since before it got the greenlight by NBC two weeks ago, will exec produce with Fuller.

After originally developing The Munsters last season, Fuller redeveloped it with NBC’s new executive team this summer and delivered his new script at the beginning of this month. Like Fuller’s previous series, Pushing Daisies, The Munsters calls for striking visuals mixed with all the classic Munsters archetypes, and NBC had been looking for a top director to create the world of The Munsters circa 2011. The pilot for Fuller’s Pushing Daisies also was directed by a feature helmer, Barry Sonnenfeld, who earned an Emmy for his work. The first pilot Singer directed was House, and he continues to serve as an executive producer on the long-running Fox medical drama. Singer has since directed only one other pilot, ABC’s Football Wives, and he served as an executive producer on the ABC drama series Dirty Sexy Money. On the feature side, WME-repped Singer most recently produced X-Men: First Class. As a director, he is in post-production on Jack the Giant Killer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Drama?
DennisMM

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 pm

DennisMM wrote:Drama?

Simply not possible.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:29 am

The only way they could play it straight would be to use monsters as metaphors for various disadvantaged or discriminated-against factions of real society. Vampires like Lily and Grandpa are the equivalent of people with HIV/AIDS, because both are spread by blood and the public is leery around them in a sort of Dumbledore panic. Creatures like Herman are psych patients; they can't help being what they are, but neither can they be forgiven for their potentially destructive behavior. And werewolves like Eddie are racial or religious minorities -- they were born that way, but why can't they act like regular people?

Marilyn, I guess, can read as an enabler/appeaser or a race traitor even.
DennisMM

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 am

minstrel wrote:

Simply not possible.

I think it it going to be a drama like Dead Like Me and True Blood are dramas...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:07 am

minstrel wrote:

Simply not possible.

I think it it going to be a drama like Dead Like Me and True Blood are dramas...

But without all that story-enhancing nudity.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 am

DennisMM wrote:The only way they could play it straight would be to use monsters as metaphors for various disadvantaged or discriminated-against factions of real society. Vampires like Lily and Grandpa are the equivalent of people with HIV/AIDS, because both are spread by blood and the public is leery around them in a sort of Dumbledore panic.

it's Bryan FULLER, not Bryan SINGER
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Yes it is.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Al Shut wrote:Yes it is.

oh yeah. i only read the thread title since i'm not really interested in anything with munsters in it. so i guess maybe it WILL have some Dumbledore subtext to it.

maybe they'll make the whole show about eddie munster moping around and stalking some chick he used to date who's now a mom and engaged to some guy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I think it it going to be a drama like Dead Like Me and True Blood are dramas...

But without all that boner-enhancing nudity.

Fixed
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Simply not possible.

But without all that story-enhancing nudity.

Those programs didn't involve seven-foot-tall greenish guys with stitches around their necks, living amongst the typical people. Unless they tone down the looks of the characters to make them look like everyone else, they will be obvious and so unlikely sources of drama.
DennisMM

Re: Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot (Now w/ Bryan Sing

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Can we get an episode dedicated to Hermans traumatic flashbacks of when he was built and another ep dedicated to Grandpa's shameful acceptance of his non treatable condition?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

I forgot -- Herman should be mixed-race in this one. Different parts of his body from different skin colors. Or Grandpa isn't Lily's genetic father. He's her "sire," who turned her from a human into a vampire. Oooh, edgy.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 pm

And will we, in the fullness of time, be treated to "tonight, on a very special episode of The Munsters.....".
Please Crom, no.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 am

Wow, did some of you people ever watch anything by Bryan Fuller? Other than episodes of STAR TREK: VOYAGER, I mean.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:04 pm

The aura of the Singer is just so overwhelming
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Wow, did some of you people ever watch anything by Bryan Fuller? Other than episodes of STAR TREK: VOYAGER, I mean.

So you think it is going to take place in space??!?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 am

They haven't done "Munsters In Space"?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:12 pm

They're turning The Munsters into Malcolm in the Middle?
fail
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Next

Return to Coaxial