Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bryan Fuller's Gritty MUNSTERS Reboot (Now w/ Bryan Sing

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Wow..... to be honest, I thought Izzard would be playing the part of Lily or Marilyn.

Ah well.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 23, 2012 7:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 am

NBC to Air Munsters Reboot as Halloween Special (THR Exclusive)
Matthew Belloni wrote:UPDATED: The network had been trying to figure out a way to salvage its $10 million investment in the pilot.

America is going to get a chance to see NBC's rebooted Munsters pilot Mockingbird Lane after all.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network has decided to air the pricey $10 million pilot, which has been in development for two years, as a Halloween special. Mockingbird Lane will air Friday, Oct. 26 at 8 p.m. before Grimm (Oct. 31 is a Wednesday).

NBC declined to comment.

Based on the goofy 1964-66 CBS comedy series about a Frankenstein-ish dad and his monstrous relatives, NBC's new version is from writer-producer Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies) and director Bryan Singer (the X-Men movies, House) with a cast including Jerry O'Connell as Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as Lily Munster and Eddie Izzard as the Dracula-esque Grandpa.

As THR has detailed, Mockingbird Lane has endured a long, tortured history at NBC, and the network was considering whether to scrap the project altogether. The reboot was originally launched before current chariman Bob Greenblatt came on board in early 2011, but Greenblatt redeveloped it extensively.

Yet Fuller and Singer are said to have had differing opinions about the style of the pilot, and the final version is said to have come in below the network's expectations. With Fuller now busy shooting NBC's 13-episode Hannibal series, he's not able to work on Mockingbird. So NBC has been considering all options to salvage the property.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Well, as a fan of All Things Fuller, that's disappointing. But I'll be DVR'ing the "Halloween Special" at least.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

saw the promo. this thing looks horrible.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 pm

From Deadline:
RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ Returns Low, ‘Mockingbird Lane’ Decent
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:There wasn’t a Friday miracle last night with the premiere of NBC‘s pilot/special Mockingbird Lane, but it didn’t tank either. The hourlong program drew a 1.5/5 in adults 18-49 and 5.4 million viewers at 8 PM. In 18-49, that was only marginally better than the last scripted series premiere in the slot, the now-defunct CBS drama A Gifted Man (1.4 last fall). Mockingbird Lane did manage to finish No.3 for the night in the demo behind NBC’s Grimm and ABC’s Shark Tank, posting NBC’s best 18-49 rating in the hour with non-sports programming in two years.

NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:As for Mockingbird Lane, there are some extra scripts written, so there conceivably could be more episodes, which would amortize the big price tag on the pilot, said to be approaching $10 million. The ratings performance for the pilot does not automatically warrant that, and NBC brass are said to be lukewarm at best on the show’s creative direction, but the special did not crash and burn, and a big DVR boost could help its chances. With NBC’s ratings gains extending to 10 PM where Dateline (1.5/5) was up 15% from last week to top the hour, the network won the night in 18-49, its first outright demo win on Friday with non-sports programming since Dec. 16 last year.

From BleedingCool October 13, 2012:
Bryan Fuller Thinks Munsters Show May Yet Live, Teases Future Episodes
Brendon Connelly wrote:Having spent $10 million on their pilot for Mockingbird Lane, a reboot of The Munsters by writer Bryan Fuller and director Bryan Singer, NBC have decided to screen it as a Halloween special rather than just toss it on the fire. They certainly haven’t decided to commission a full series, however.

But Fuller still holds out hope. Speaking to TV Guide, he says:
If we get a huge number, all the cast are in line to be picked up and to go to series. And that was one of the things that NBC wanted to make sure, that they had all of the cast deals in line — so that if we did get a big number and audiences proved their appetite for this type of show, that they could move very quickly…. But the thing that gives me a lot of hope is that first, I think show is wonderful, I think the cast is great. But also that NBC is putting it on the air. They don’t have to do that.

He also notes that NBC were also considering a run of 5 or 6 episodes for the Spring – so perhaps the Network haven’t been trying to drown these Munsters outright and just can’t find themselves able to commit to an expensive run.

Fuller does have several more episodes planned out already, and he’s been teasing what they would-stroke-might contain:
There’s a great neighborhood watch episode. There’s what happens when the Creature from the Black Lagoon shows up and puts challenges on Herman’s and Lily’s relationship. That’s a tremendous amount of fun… Lily is going through this huge arc of, “I was living my life a certain way because I thought my child was a certain way. Now that my child has changed, do I change?” So she’s having an identity crisis. It’s all about your identity and family. So each of those individual episodes are all family stories about characters trying to find their place within the larger group.

Being cuckolded by the Creature from the Black Lagoon would be one mother of a burn.

Should the magic happen and the figures go through the roof, Fuller thinks that production could get underway again come the Summer:
The idea would be, in success, to start at the beginning of July to go to series. I would complete my work on Hannibal in mid-February and then segue immediately to Mockingbird Laneto get things ready to start shooting by July, should we be so fortunate to go to series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 am

I found the pilot to be promising (of course, all Fuller pilots tend to be promising). But I guess the ratings were kind-of-good-but-also-not, which probably doesn't bode well for the future of a show that already had one foot in the grave. Get it! But seriously, it was an enjoyable "Halloween Special." I think (with all my non-writing expertise) the story probably could have used another werewolf transformation before Herman told Eddie the awful truth. As it is, the truth just... happens. Which is nice, but not terribly climactic. But I enjoy the family dynamic and can easily see this being an entertaining update of The Munsters; however, I also see how expensive that pilot looked ($10 million+, according to some reports) and can easily see NBC wanting to have nothing to do with a money pit that big. So, it's probably destined for the scrap heap; how very Fuller. At least we can take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Eddie Izzard as Grandpa.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm

i thought it was ok. the cast was good mostly. some of the jokes were funny, some .... weren't. looked surprisingly expensive. i liked the heart zipper.
if it were to go to series, i'd probably keep watching since it at least had promise.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Well I have to admit I totally wrote this off as total shit, but you guys are making me think I may have missed something worth sitting thru. I saw the previews, and I didn't honestly like Eddie Izzard's take on Grandpa. And I figured if Jerry O'Connell was in it, it had to be sub par.

Its gotta be on demand or Hulu or something...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 pm

not sure it's really worth going out of your way for. if you happen to run across it though, it's not the worst thing you could spend doing for an hour.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm

I enjoyed it and thought it was fun. But it seemed more akin to The Addams Family then The Munsters. But I liked it.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Jerry O'Connell is surprisingly not a liability, although this was my reaction when he first shows up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZyOWrzaAic#t=22s
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 am

NBC Reveals Why It Passed On MOCKINGBIRD LANE; May Reboot MUNSTERS Again Someday
NBC May Take Another Stab At ‘The Munsters’ Reboot Series: TCA
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:Just 10 days ago NBC passed on its Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane, which had been in the works at NBC for two years under two regimes. But the network is not closing the door to bringing the family of monsters from the classic sitcom back. “I won’t say we won’t do another version of The Muensters again,” NBC chief Bob Greenblatt said after the network’s executive session at TCA. He addressed the reasons for the decision not to proceed with Bryan Fuller’s Mockingbird Lane despite the pilot, which carried a reported $10-million price tag, doing decent ratings business when it aired as a Halloween special in October.

“We just decided that it didn’t hold together well enough to yield a series,” Greenblatt said. “It looked beautiful and original and creative, but it just all ultimately didn’t come together…, it just didn’t ultimately creatively all work.” The pilot featured a cast led by Jerry O’Connell as family patriarch Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as his wife Lily, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, and Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn. “We felt great about that cast,” Greenblatt said. “But we tried to make it not just a sitcom. We tried to make it an hour, which ultimately has more dramatic weight than a half-hour. It’s hard to calibrate how much weirdness vs. supernatural vs. family story. I just think we didn’t get the mix right.”

Ray Richmond contributed to this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Munsters are back!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 am

Deadline August 10, 2017:
‘The Munsters’ Reboot In Works At NBC From Jill Kargman & Seth Meyers
Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
The Munsters are back! NBC is rebooting the 1960s comedy series about a family of lovable monsters with Odd Mom Out creator Jill Kargman and Seth Meyers.

Inspired by the original series, the half-hour single-camera The Munsters, now in development, follows members of an offbeat family who are determined to stay true to themselves but struggle to fit in in hipster Brooklyn. (In the original, the Munsters resided at the famous 1313 Mockingbird Lane address in the city of Mockingbird Heights, a fictional suburb in California.)

Kargman will write the script and will executive produce with Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions’ Meyers and Mike Shoemaker. Universal TV is the studio.

I hear the project originated with Kargman, who came up with a new take on the classic sitcom, which ran on CBS for two seasons from 1964-66. Her team tracked down the rights to Universal TV, where she teamed up with Late Night host Meyers, who has a producing deal at the studio.

NBC and Universal previously took a stab at rebooting The Munsters several years ago as an hourlong series written by Bryan Fuller. It resulted in the big-budget pilot Mockingbird Lane, directed by Bryan Singer and starring Jerry O’Connell as family patriarch Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as his wife Lily, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa and Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn, which aired as a Halloween special in 2012.

While NBC ultimately passed on the project going to series, the network did not close the door to bringing the family of monsters back.

“I won’t say we won’t do another version of The Munsters again,” NBC chief Bob Greenblatt said in January 2013. “We tried to make it an hour, which ultimately has more dramatic weight than a half-hour.”

The Munsters now is reverting to its original half-hour comedy format.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial