WONDER WOMAN: The TV Show

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

WONDER WOMAN: The TV Show

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:21 pm

From Deadline:
Wonder Woman Returning To TV As Series Written And Produced By David E. Kelley
Nellie Andreeva wrote:This has to be the highest-profile effort to bring Wonder Woman to television: One of TV's best-known creators, The Practice's David E. Kelley, has come on board to write and produce a new series project about the female superhero. The project, from Warner Bros. Television where Kelley is based, and Warner Bros.' DC Entertainment, will be taken out to the networks shortly. Kelley, who has created several female-centered shows, most notably Ally McBeal, had been interested in tackling a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon. He recently met with the DC team who also have been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise. Details on the reboot are being kept under wraps, and it is not clear if the new Wonder Woman aka Diana Prince will keep her signature powers and weapons, including her Lasso of Truth, her indestructible bracelets, her tiara and her invisible airplane. In the comic books, the Wonder Woman character has evolved significantly since she first appeared in a 1941 issue of All Star Comics and recently underwent a controversial makeover.

Warner Bros. TV has brought DC characters to the small screen before, most recently with the CW's Superman-themed Smallville, which is in its 10th and final season, and Fox's Human Target, which returned for a second season. But Wonder Woman has presented a challenge both for feature and TV creators. That's probably because she is the most famous female superhero in the testosterone-dominated comic world. And because she also is a big feminist icon. (Reps for Warner Bros. TV and Kelley declined to comment for this story.)

The most successful screen adaptation of the Wonder Woman comic books was the TV series The New Adventures of Wonder Woman starring Lynda Carter in the title role, which aired from 1975-1979, first on ABC and then on CBS. Carter has since become synonymous with the character. That will certainly present a challenge in casting the role if the project goes to pilot. A notable recent effort to launch a new Wonder Woman series came a decade ago with Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman creator Deborah Joy LeVine as the writer.

On the feature side, a Wonder Woman film has been in development hell for a decade at Warner Bros., with Joss Whedon at one point attached to write and direct for producer Joel Silver. In May, Warner chairman and CEO Barry Meyer confirmed that a new Wonder Woman feature is in development. There has been a concerted effort on part of Time Warner lately to better mine the DC properties across different platforms. The film division is expected to announce a slate of DC movies by the end of the year that would probably include Wonder Woman.

From The Live Feed:
Wonder Woman headed to TV with David E. Kelley

James Hibberd & Borys Kit wrote:Wonder Woman is still heading to the screen, but instead of coming to a theater near you, the Amazon princess is returning to television.

Warner Bros. Television is developing a modern-day reboot of the classic DC comic book heroine and has lassoed an unlikely talent to potentially write and produce the superhero project: David E. Kelley, the showrunner behind legal dramas such as “Ally McBeal,” "Boston Legal" and "The Practice."

The news comes after nearly a decade of attempts by Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver to launch a big-screen version. Actresses ranging from Angelina Jolie to Beyonce Knowles to Megan Fox have thrown their hat in the ring for the starring role at one time or another.

In 2005, Warner Bros. announced Joss Whedon would write and direct the film adaptation. But Whedon said he never ended up being able to finish the draft, and two years later left the project (he's back in the superhero world, though, prepping "The Avengers" for a winter shoot).

"They just didn't like my take," Whedon said at the time. "It's pretty simple."

Any new "Wonder Woman" won't likely have an easy road to the small screen either.

Though the 1975-79 TV series starring Lynda Carter remains the most memorable version of the character in pop culture, major networks have struggled to make female-driven action series work beyond superhero shows work beyond NBC's "Heroes." NBC's "Bionic Woman," which was likewise best known for its 1970s TV version, and could haunt attempts to get a series launch, and Fox's "Dollhouse" struggled during its two seasons on Fox.

But if any place exists for a female-driven superhero series, it would be in TV land not film. While movies like “Daredevil” spin-off “Elektra,” starring Jennifer Garner, bombed on the big screen, the small-screen has been home to “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” a character which first failed as a movie, and “Alias,” the spy series which starred Garner.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Wonder Woman Returning To TV

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 pm

From Variety:
Kelley close to 'Wonder Woman' deal - TV guru close to signing deal for new series
Michael Schneider wrote:Will "Wonder Woman" morph into a quirky Boston lawyer?

In an unlikely matchup, David E. Kelley is close to signing on to adapt a new TV version of the classic DC comic book character.

Warner Bros. TV, where Kelley is now based, will serve as studio. No deal has been finalized, but Kelley could soon be at work sketching out a modern take of Wonder Woman on one of his yellow legal pads.

"Wonder Woman" is part of a long list of other DC comics to be adapted for TV via owner Warner Bros., including the CW's "Smallville."

"Wonder Woman," of course, ran for a period in the 1970s, first on ABC, and then on CBS. That version actually began as a 1974 TV movie, starring Cathy Lee Crosby in the role. Lynda Carter then took over in a series of "The New Original Wonder Woman" specials, followed by the regular series.

Warner Bros. last tried to revive "Wonder Woman" for TV in 1998, when NBC developed a script from Deborah Joy LeVine (and with helmer James Frawley attached to direct). That project didn't make it far in the development process.

More recently, Warner Bros. attempted to adapt "Wonder Woman" as a feature, with stars such as Sandra Bullock rumored for the role.

Based on the 1940s Charles Moulton comic book, "Wonder Woman" centers on an Amazon woman living on a secret island and wearing a belt that gives her superpowers. Diana Prince – her real name -- falls in love with a pilot, Maj. Steve Trevor (played in the 1970s by Lyle Waggoner), after he crashes on her island.

Kelley's no stranger to female characters, having written shows like "Ally McBeal," "Girls Club" and "The Wedding Bells." But he's not known for tackling genre and mythology pieces like "Wonder Woman" – which means his attachment will likely be watched closely by the comic book fandom.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Next Superhero Show after Smallville

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:22 am

This is probably the best tv news in forever. Far too often, we get under-done and rushed superhero movies that don't give us our full serving of superhero goodness. And women especially. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the DC DTV animated films, they're great. But a new Wonder Woman tv show might open up the doors for a few more superheroines. I'd kill for a She-Hulk, Spiderwoman, Dazzler, Supergirl, or Batgirl(Barbara Gordon) tv show or movie.

One consideration is getting the right woman for the part. I'm sure there'll be lots of temptation to sign some bright-eyed, bushy haired, eager beaver(no pun intended) for the role. Getting over Lynda Carter as WW will be a huge hurdle, at least for older viewers who in their youth, were introduced to breasts on tv watching her battle evildoers and in the second season intro as she ran thru the forest.

The second part is staying true to the origin. I think if they try to keep it within the confines of her original origin and not meddle(which comes natural these days) with it, they'll do fine. And for pity's sake, let the story be told, not just treat it as something to endure until the next sex scene or action sequence. Just don't turn Paradise Island into some super secret government facility and have Wonder Woman be a killing machine. This isn't Dark Angel 2.0, people. And please have the origin story set during World War II. It was her starting point, and deserves to be so here.

I know it's early, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for dear life on this.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 am

WWII was 70 years ago. How would you realistically incorporate that into a modern Wonder Woman television series? She never ages? Cryogenics? Time warp? I'd rather they concentrate on making a good show than try to be slavish to an old origin story. Stay true to the spirit of the material and don't worry about the little details that could be troublesome in execution.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:21 am

My only answer to that is I'm personally more comfortable seeing Wonder Woman in a setting during WW2. Also, setting a superhero in the modern day can be a tricky thing. Sometimes it works(Batman), and sometimes it doesn't(Superman Returns). I'm not saying ALL superheroes need to be set in a particular timeframe to work, but Wonder Woman works best in the 1940s. Setting it today would be a mistake, imho. There would probably be way too much temptation for a roomful of asshats to 'reinterpret' her for the modern day, doing everything shy of making her a government agent with a gun, or a kung fu warrior princess ala Xena. What works best is sticking with the source material as close as you can. I'm not saying it needs to be word for word a comic adaptation or even a clone of the Lynda Carter TV series. I just don't want to see little nit-picking things piling up to make the character a mockery of what it could be.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Re: Next superhero show after Smallville: WONDER WOMAN!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:01 am

CHUD RUMOR DU JOUR: COULD A PHOENIX BE AN AMAZON?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Megan Fox getting served by Wonder Woman herself:

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/sp ... an_fox.htm

Do not piss off the Amazon, child. You are not worthy to carry her bracelets.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:25 am

From SuperHeroHype:
Wonder Woman Series Not Coming Soon?
Back in October, it was announced that "Wonder Woman" was heading back to TV in a series from writer/producer David E. Kelley. Now, however, Kelley tells Zap2it that it might be a while before it becomes a real project:

"There's no real deal in place yet, but yeah, my intent is to take a stab at it," Kelley said. "I've been working on it between scripts for 'Harry's Law.' It's a very, very different genre for me, a very tricky beast. I won't know whether I've cracked it or not until I've finished it, but it's going."

He added thtat "I haven't necessarily committed to doing it yet. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out if I can make the franchise work for me."

Still, it doesn't sound like it will be moving full speed ahead any time soon. "The only way I'm truly going to discover if ['Wonder Woman'] is right for me, and I'm right for it, is to roll my sleeves up and close the door and do some work. And that's a challenge, because it's kind of a busy time."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:50 am

From Bleeding Cool:
DC/Marvel Clash Helps Doom Wonder Woman TV Reboot
Mark Seifert wrote:In an situation that would seem to serve as the latest reminder that the competition between Marvel and DC has been redefined on a much broader scale, news is breaking tonight that David E. Kelley’s proposed Wonder Woman Television reboot has been shelved for now due to a combination of bad timing, bad fits, and “a potential DC-Marvel clash”:

Fox and ABC passed, while WBTV’s sister network the CW could not afford it. While the project was never considered a fit for Fox and was taken to the network mostly out of courtesy, the ABC pass was more politically motivated. With its empowered female lead, Wonder Woman seems well suited for for the network, but word is a potential DC-Marvel clash got in the way. ABC parent Disney acquired Marvel last year for $4 billion, and ABC and Marvel have been busy developing Marvel properties, including a Hulk series with Guillermo del Toro and David Eick and an adaptation of a Marvel female superhero, Jessica Jones, with Twilight writer Melissa Rosenberg.

From Deadline:
TV 'Wonder Woman' Not Going At This Time
Nellie Andreeva wrote:The TV reboot of Wonder Woman is being postponed. David E. Kelley's high-profile take on the female superhero has been shelved after not landing a deal at a broadcast network because of what sources called unfortunate timing. The project hails from DC sibling Warner Bros. TV where Kelley is based with an overall deal. The Practice creator Kelley had been looking to do a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon, and at the end of September, he met with the DC team, who also had been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise. Soon after the meeting, Kelley started working on a pilot script, which, like his other recent projects, was written on spec. The script was reportedly taken out to the broadcast networks on Wednesday night. Fox and ABC passed, while WBTV's sister network the CW could not afford it. While the project was never considered a fit for Fox and was taken to the network mostly out of courtesy, the ABC pass was more politically motivated. With its empowered female lead, Wonder Woman seems well suited for for the network, but word is a potential DC-Marvel clash got in the way. ABC parent Disney acquired Marvel last year for $4 billion, and ABC and Marvel have been busy developing Marvel properties, including a Hulk series with Guillermo del Toro and David Eick and an adaptation of a Marvel female superhero, Jessica Jones, with Twilight writer Melissa Rosenberg. This left CBS and NBC in play. I hear the CBS executive team was split, while the fluid situation at NBC where new programming chief Bob Greenblatt is yet to take the reins, made it impossible to get the type of license fee that the studio was seeking in order to do the show Kelley had envisioned. So a decision was made not to go with the show at this time. The script may be taken out again in the future.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: WONDER WOMAN: The TV Show

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 pm

From IGN:
Wonder Woman TV Series Still Alive?
Eric Goldman wrote:David E. Kelley was at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today to discuss his new series, Harry's Law. But it was no surprise that several of us were curious to hear what he had to say about Wonder Woman, on the heels of the news that all of the networks had passed on the project, which Kelley had written for Warner Bros TV.

Kelley started out saying the dreaded, "I've been instructed not to talk about that," but luckily, decided not to stay too quiet. Said the Boston Legal creator, "The bottom line is I had a lot of fun writing it and we're still optimistic that we're going to do it. We've got a script that Warners and DC are very excited about."

Commenting on why he thought they didn't get it picked up right now, as the networks are in the midst of developing their pilots for the fall, Kelley remarked, "It's a huge project and we just sort of rolled it out last week, so it was a bit much to chew off for this next season." Still, Kelley said, "I think everybody is confident that we're gonna see it."

Kelley, who admitted he wasn't a big Wonder Woman comic book reader prior to tackling the project, said his approach was, "A little different." Asked for a quick, one-sentence description of his take, he replied, "It's just too complicated. It's just too complicated to categorize in a sentence. But that was the most fun thing about it for me, was complicating the character and trying to probe a lot of the human dimension of the character and not just the super hero."

Harry's Law has wrapped production on its first season, so I asked Kelley if he'd be re-focusing a bit on Wonder Woman. Said Kelley, "Probably. But it's kind of in Warners and DC's hands now to push that uphill. For now, it's still Harry's Law, because I'm in the editing room and we're still in post, so our emphasis is still there."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:05 am

From The live feed:
David E. Kelley 'Optimistic' Viewers Will See 'Wonder Woman' Next Year
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Veteran showrunner David E. Kelley is optimistic that his vision for Wonder Woman will make it to the small screen next year despite broadcast networks passing on his script this week.

"I think the likelihood is we'll see it next year," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "I'm being optimistic but I don't think I'm being unrealistic."

Kelley noted that the script was "rolled out very late in the game" and said that he would bring the project back to NBC, which reportedly passed. The project reportedly failed to move forward there due to executive reshuffling.

He said that the network, premiering his new legal drama Harry's Law on Monday, which he was promoting at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, would be a "good home for it" under incoming programming chief Robert Greenblatt.

"I like to think of it as a smart script and I know he responds to smart material," Kelley said Thursday of his vision in which Wonder Woman would be explored as a "real complex woman and not just a superhero."

Kelley also mentioned that it's a "possibility" Wonder Woman could land at cable.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm not sure why they're having so much trouble with this project. Xena: Warrior Princess lasted, what, six seasons in syndication? And they don't think they can find an audience for Wonder Woman? It doesn't make sense somehow.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think the problem is finding an audience so much as network politics and budget. ABC won't take it because they're Disney-owned and don't want to do anything for the competition, especially when there is a chance that timeslot could go to a Marvel show. CW doesn't have the scratch for it and the other two weren't prepared to spend that much on pilots. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to make it go for midseason, but its more likely to happen next year if it happens any time soon.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Tanit Phoenix as possible Wonder Woman?

Postby theunforgettablefire on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Don't know if that's true or if the project is even moving forward. But I'm down with that choice. What say you, gents?

http://www.edge.ca/Blogs/Todd/BlogEntry ... D=10189475

(You're welcome).
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 am

From Deadline:
NBC Picks Up David E. Kelley's 'Wonder Woman', Michael Patrick King's Drama
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:Wonder Woman will fly this pilot season after all. New NBC entertainment president Bob Greenblatt capped a day of high-profile pilot pickups with a surprise order to David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman reboot. Additionally, he formally greenlighted another hourlong project from an A-list showrunner, Michael Patrick King's Mann's World. Both shows hail from Warner Bros. TV. Meanwhile, the commitment to the J.J. Abrams/WBTV-produced drama Odd Jobs starring Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn, whose script came in very late, is being rolled to next season when it will be applied to the same or new Bad Robot project. And Greenblatt has passed on the Josh Schwartz/WBTV supernatural drama Ghost Angeles starring Rachel Bilson.

WBTV took Kelley's Wonder Woman spec out to the networks in the first week of January. At the time, NBC was the most interested but, with Greenblatt still on the sidelines, the network couldn't commit to the type of license fee that the studio was seeking in order to do the show Kelley had envisioned, and WBTV decided to shelve the project. With Greenblatt now firmly taking the reins and Kelley just delivering one of the most promising new series for NBC this season, Harry's Law, NBC stepped up to greenlight Wonder Woman. The project is described as a reinvention of the iconic D.C. comic in which Wonder Woman -- aka Diana Prince -- is a vigilante crime fighter in L.A. but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life. "I had a lot of fun writing it," Kelley said of the script at TCA last week when the project had just been put on hold. "It's a huge project, and it was probably a bit too much to ask anyone to try to chew on it for next season. But I'm confident it will still happen. It's a very complicated piece, which is the most fun thing about it."

Mann's World, which King will also direct, is a one hour drama following the complicated life of Allan Mann, a celebrity hair stylist in glamorous Los Angeles as he navigates the complexities of his business, his family life, and his goal to stay relevant in a world that moves quickly. The project is already casting.

The orders for Wonder Woman and Mann's World come hours after Greenblatt greenlighted musical pilot Smash, based on an idea by and executive produced by Steven Spielberg.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:05 pm

From The Live Feed:
David E. Kelley's 'Wonder Woman' Lives on at NBC
Philiana Ng wrote:NBC has picked up David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman to pilot, a source confirms to THR.

Kelley, who is behind the freshman legal drama Harry's Law, had brought the project to the network once before, but NBC reportedly passed due to executive reshuffling.

In an interview with Kelley during the Television Critics Assn. press tour earlier this month, he stated that it was a possibility that Wonder Woman could land on the small screen soon.

"I think the likelihood is we'll see it next year," Kelley hinted to THR in mid-January. "I'm being optimistic but I don't think I'm being unrealistic."

He noted that NBC would be a "good home for it." "I like to think of it as a smart script and I know [new NBC programming chief Bob Greenblatt] responds to smart material," he said, adding that Wonder Woman would be a "real complex woman and not just a superhero.

Sex and the City's Michael Patrick King's hourlong drama Mann's World has also been given a pilot order.

World centers on a celebrity hair stylist living in Los Angeles.

Earlier on Friday, Greenblatt picked up a musical from Steven Spielberg and a romantic comedy pilot. Angela Bromstad announced her exit earlier this week from NBC.

Lesley Goldberg contributed to this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Here's my David E. Kelley impression. Ready?

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:55 am

...musical pilot Smash, based on an idea by and executive produced by Steven Spielberg.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 am

I hope this goes to series. With Smallville ending, I need a new comic-book TV show to try and write for.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:23 am

Chilli wrote:I hope this goes to series. With Smallville ending, I need a new comic-book TV show to try and write for.

you should try The Cape. it's about as comic-book-y as it gets.

and it's better than Heroes :twisted:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Chilli wrote:I hope this goes to series. With Smallville ending, I need a new comic-book TV show to try and write for.

Heroes was my version of 1990s Daredevil. Yes, quality wise it wasn't good... BUT I HAD TO KEEP WATCHING. Because I was a fan. And because there was the possibility something good might happen. It's not my fault nothing interesting happened!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm

McG is going to direct the pilot of this show.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48233

McG's done good work, and even the awful TERMINATOR 4 had great action set pieces.

But honestly, I doubt anybody can make Wonder Woman look like something more than a long Katy Perry music video.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Chilli wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Heroes was my version of 1990s Daredevil. Yes, quality wise it wasn't good... BUT I HAD TO KEEP WATCHING. Because I was a fan. And because there was the possibility something good might happen. It's not my fault nothing interesting happened!

you reallly should check out the Cape though. it's got that same kinda silly comic-book-y tone, though a bit more self-aware about it i think.
whether or not anything interesting will happen or not remains to be seen. but at least you'll be able to look at summer glau in the meantime.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:McG is going to direct the pilot of this show.

McG's done good work, and even the awful TERMINATOR 4 had great action set pieces.

But honestly, I doubt anybody can make Wonder Woman look like something more than a long Katy Perry music video.

so, they really do hate wonder woman after all.
this will probably end up a lot like that charlie's angels movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i bet the lighting will suck, too....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

Ever see the Chuck Pilot? Opening action scene bodes well for MCG on Wonder Woman.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:47 pm

i've never seen a single episode of chuck in my life. the only thing i have to go on where mcg is concerned is his movies.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i've never seen a single episode of chuck in my life. the only thing i have to go on where mcg is concerned is his movies.

His TV stuff tends to be pretty good. Mostly because he's hired to make it quick and shiny.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Finally! We find out if Cheetah wears cherry chapstick!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Have they picked out a Wonder Woman yet?
A few years ago I would have nommed Rhona Mitra for the part. Who will they get?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

From THR:
SAG Awards 2011: Christina Hendricks Dismisses 'Wonder Woman' Rumors
Don't believe those rumors that Christina Hendricks will be playing Wonder Woman in David E. Kelley's reboot.
"No one has talked to me," she said on E!'s SAG red carpet special.

How did the rumors get started? "I think it was some kid n his basement saying, Christina Hendricks should be Wonder Woman," she joked.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

TheButcher wrote:From THR:
SAG Awards 2011: Christina Hendricks Dismisses 'Wonder Woman' Rumors
Don't believe those rumors that Christina Hendricks will be playing Wonder Woman in David E. Kelley's reboot.
"No one has talked to me," she said on E!'s SAG red carpet special.

How did the rumors get started? "I think it was some kid n his basement saying, Christina Hendricks should be Wonder Woman," she joked.

i just pictured her in that outfit and wielding the lasso of truth.
now i'm gonna have to wait 10 minutes before i stand up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Christine Hendricks for Wonder Woman.
Let the campaign begin here!

She would totally own that WW suit.
And any viewing age boy capable of a boner.
Meow.
The Vicar

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chilli on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:46 am

As Buffy-inspired as this script no doubt was, Joss Whedon it ain’t. Can you imagine Whedon having an action scene play out to Beyonce’s Single Ladies?

No Joss Whedon TV show could afford Beyonce's Single Ladies.

And Buffy inspired? Sometimes I think people forget how much Whedon took from comic-books. And, likely, directly borrowed from Wonder Woman content. It's more likely Wonder Woman and Kitty Pryde inspired Buffy than the other way round.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Adrianne Palicki is Wonder Woman!
Source: Warner Bros.
February 16, 2011

Adrianne Palicki ("Friday Night Lights") will star in the title role of "Wonder Woman," a new series pilot from David E. Kelley ("Boston Legal," "Ally McBeal," NBC's "Harry's Law").

The series pilot is a reinvention of the iconic DC Comics title in which Wonder Woman – a/k/a Diana Prince – is a vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.

Kelley and Bill D'Elia ("Boston Legal," "The Practice") are the executive producers. The pilot was written by Kelley and will be directed by Jeffrey Reiner (NBC's "The Event"). "Wonder Woman" is from David E Kelley Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Palicki, who appeared as Tyra Collete in NBC"s acclaimed "Friday Night Lights," will star in the upcoming feature-film remake of Red Dawn. She also starred in the horror film Breaking the Girl and in the recent series "Lone Star."

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Somebody got my letter!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Peven wrote:...is a vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.

I don't know why but that one line summary made me laugh out loud.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:...is a vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.

I don't know why but that one line summary made me laugh out loud.

I read somewhere she also is going to have a third identity as mousy assistant (though looking for a link now I can't seem to find anything.) Put in a couple dancing babies and I'll be happy as a clam about this re-boot. It sounds like one of the worst things ever conceived of.

But Adrienne Palicki is a pretty good choice. She's solid on Friday Night Lights and she also managed to recite a monologue about a dog performing oral sex on her with a surprising amount of dignity (in that Electra Luxx movie). If she can deliver that kind of material with a straight face I think she'll at least get out of this disaster with her credibility more or less intact.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby The Vicar on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 pm

DaleTremont wrote: and she also managed to recite a monologue about a dog performing oral sex on her with a surprising amount of dignity (in that Electra Luxx movie).

Got a link for that?

Whaat? :shock:
The Vicar

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:24 pm

ECCC: DC Nation
George A. Tramountanas wrote:Next up were a couple of questions about DC heroes in media outside comics. To begin with, one attendee asked if the costumes being planned for the Wonder Woman TV show and the Superman movie would resemble the outfits worn by the heroes in the books.

“I haven’t seen anything on ‘Superman,’" Harras replied. “I’ve seen some sketches for the Wonder Woman costume and I will say this today – there is every intent to make them similar. People do these TV shows and these movies because they love the characters. And with DC being able to work much more closely with Warner Bros, I think you’ll be happy with what comes across.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Adrianne Palicki in costume, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

I don't mind it at all. It borrows from the current, alternate-reality comic-book costume, but with more color. Could be worse; could be Cathy Lee Crosby in a warm-up suit.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm

that costume looks like all kinds of ass........and not in a good way. I bet there were better Wonder Woman outfits worn to ComicCon this year

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:02 pm

It's essentially how she's dressing in the current comics, it's got a modern feeling, and it's far more practical than the classic look. Giant granny panties wouldn't go over so well these days, no matter how good they looked on Lynda Carter. The long pants, or at least something like bicycle shorts, make far more sense. The whole thing is too shiny; I'll admit that. And her bewbs are about to fall out, which makes little sense other than for sex appeal. But the costume could be a lot less impressive.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

It looks like a Halloween costume, not a superhero crime fighting outfit. I'm not opposed to the basic design, but the material it's made out of is really cheap and stupid looking.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Yes, the PVC look needs to be dulled down. For all we know, it will be. But I think it also may be intended to convey a fetishistic atmosphere.
DennisMM

Next

Return to Coaxial