Lights Out (New FX Show)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Lights Out (New FX Show)

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:09 am

Ex Boxing Champ Patrick 'Lights' Leary may or may not be staging a comeback after 5 years out of the game, Holt McCallany owns the screen, he's utterly convincing, when he gives his daughters new boyfriend a long "look" I felt intimidated.

I was going to post a youtube video or two of the promos that are out there but both are spoilerific (by the looks of things way beyond the first episode) so be warned if you go looking for them.

Stylistically the show is original and fresh which makes up for the somewhat cliché "ageing Ex-Champ" storyline. There's not a bad piece of acting from the cast either, which includes Stacy Keach as his Dad and Pablo Schreiber (Nick Sabotka from the Wire) as his Brother/Manager.

I don't want to spoil too much in trying to entice you to watch this show but I'll give away this little tid-bit, financial troubles see Lights taking a collection job for some Mobster type (and from the looks of the promos there is a lot more violence to come from this storyline).

This show looks to be required viewing, it's adult, gripping, violent, has heart and even made me laugh a few times.

Check it out and spread the word.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Lights Out (New FX Show)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:47 pm

It pulled less people than Terriers so its probably not long for this world.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:00 pm

It's much better than Terriers though, I doubt it'd have much legs past the first season either (early days to say that but still, he's either going to be the champ in the last episode or not, one assumes). As long as they air all the episodes I'll be happy.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:42 pm

John-Locke wrote:It's much better than Terriers though, I doubt it'd have much legs past the first season either (early days to say that but still, he's either going to be the champ in the last episode or not, one assumes). As long as they air all the episodes I'll be happy.

Terriers was the most entertaining show on this fall!!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:07 pm

More entertaining than Boardwalk Empire? Eastbound & Down? The Walking Dead? I did like Terriers but no matter how good it was it was still bound by the restraints of episodic, case of the week storytelling.

Anyways did you catch Lights Out yet?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 am

John-Locke wrote:More entertaining than Boardwalk Empire? Eastbound & Down? The Walking Dead? I did like Terriers but no matter how good it was it was still bound by the restraints of episodic, case of the week storytelling.

Anyways did you catch Lights Out yet?

Planning on catching up with it soon, but I havent watched it yet.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby memphisanid on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 pm

I actually just caught up on all of the episodes that have aired so far and came here to see what everyone was saying about it. I can't believe this show isn't getting more attention.

I'm completely hooked.

The match between Lights and El Diablo was well done I thought. I wasn't expecting an actual match this soon. Big question is, was he on the take?
memphisanid
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial