The Cape (like Heroes but slightly better!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Cape (like Heroes but slightly better!)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 am

is anyone here watching the Cape?

i watched the first couple episodes over the weekend. like the title says, it's better than Heroes. and yeah, that's not saying much, but it is pretty good. i liked the first pilot episode. it was an origin story, and not a very original one -- cop stumbles on conspiracy led by head villain, gets framed, nearly killed but escapes at the last second, everyone in the world (including his wife and son) think he's dead, he takes on a new secret identity with the help of an old magician and a 'magic' cape and seeks to clear his name while getting revenge on the bad guy, blah blah blah. i'm sure you comic readers can name 50 comic books that it steals from; i can think of a few myself, and i don't even read comics. but as unoriginal as the premise may be, it's still entertaining. unlike heroes, you actually get to see guys in costumes get into fights with each other. and there aren't really any superpowers, so it's more like batman than spiderman or superman or x-men. the 2nd episode dragged a bit, wasn't as good, but i think the series has potential. i'm not that keen on the lead guy, but he's ok i guess. the supporting cast is pretty good though. keith david as the cape's mentor, summer glau as his brainy technogeek ass-kicking sidekick of sorts (and she's hotter here than she was as a terminator), and the guy who played franklin the freaky insane vampire last season on true blood as the main villain. vinnie jones was also in the pilot, and there's a bodybuilding midget as well, which is always a plus. so yeah, all in all, not a bad show so far.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: The Cape (like Heroes but slightly better!)

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm watching Bax.

At least it's original IP. I too am quite enjoying it - it's getting better the further it goes along as it builds up more of the world.

I'm willing to give it a go.

As a side note, how dumb does your kid have to be that he doesn't recognise his own dads voice or his handwriting. I'd put that kid into some sort of remedial class if I were them.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby geekgrrl on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

I tried to watch the show, but it was too campy for me. Which would have been fine if they were going for campy but they weren't.

http://lostinreviews.com/2011/01/premiere-cape/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm

anyone else watching this? I heard it was crap.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Its schlock but it is slightly watchable schlock....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Its schlock but it is slightly watchable schlock....

sweet. I might give it a shot just for the hell of it. Jebus knows I've put up with schlock before (Heroes, Smallville, The Event, etc)
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Vicar on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:anyone else watching this? I heard it was crap.

The network seems to have cut back on the number of episodes ordered, so I wouldn't get too invested in this one.
Sorry about that, chief.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:anyone else watching this? I heard it was crap.

The network seems to have cut back on the number of episodes ordered, so I wouldn't get too invested in this one.
Sorry about that, chief.

ahhhhhh, very good to know. Chances are I'd watch it, be one of the 12 people in the country who actually like it, and then it would be canceled. Think I'll save myself the trouble.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

how Bax thinks this is better than "Heroes" is beyond me, i am very disappointed in him for suggesting it :-P

for reals, even with its flaws "Heroes" was MUCH better than this cheaply produced, poorly written cheese-fest of a show. even Keith David can't save it...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 am

it's kind of gone downhill since the pilot. i like the campy tone, but they need better stories and villains.
so, maybe not as good as the first season of heroes.... but still better than that show from the S1 finale on.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I've grown to enjoy the show.

At least it's trying out new original material in the comic book world (there is a slight irony to my tone there).

I find it fun to watch - It could have done with a bigger production budget and being a little bit more gritty but other than that, it's still pretty enjoyable.

What doens't help matters is that most of it is pretty predictable with the hero making 'hero like' actions and not developing into a hero as we'd like to see. At least with the reinvention of the batman film series, we saw Bruce as dark who then found the like through even more darkness. The protagonist in this is just too happy to accept that he's Mr Goodwill Ambassador with no decent backstory.

Let's just call him Troy, who used to play football and be done with it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Return to Coaxial