Blackadder (Now w/100% more thread existence & poll!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Which series is the best?

The Black Adder
29%
Blackadder II
43%
Blackadder the Third
14%
Blackadder Goes Forth
14%

Total votes : 7

Blackadder (Now w/100% more thread existence & poll!)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I don't know why we never got around to creating a thread for one of the funniest shows of all time,but now-- it matters not!

Here's the gist for the uninitiated:
Wiki wrote:Blackadder is the name that encompassed four series of a BBC1 historical sitcom, along with several one-off installments. All episodes starred Rowan Atkinson as antihero Edmund Blackadder and Tony Robinson as Blackadder's dogsbody, Baldrick. Each series was set in a different historical period with the two protagonists accompanied by different characters, though several reappear in one series or another, for example Melchett and Lord Flashheart.

Although each series is set in a different era, all follow the fortunes (or rather, misfortunes) of Edmund Blackadder (played by Atkinson), who in each is a member of a British family dynasty present at many significant periods and places in British history. It is implied in each series that the Blackadder character is a descendant of the previous one, although it is never mentioned how any of the Blackadders manage to father children.

Although the character is quite unintelligent in the first series, he is increasingly clever and perceptive in subsequent generations (while decreasing in social status). Each Blackadder though is a cynical, cowardly opportunist concerned with maintaining and increasing his own status and fortunes, regardless of his surroundings.

The lives of each of the Blackadders are also entwined with their servants, all from the Baldrick family line (played by Tony Robinson). Each generation acts as the dogsbody to his respective Blackadder. They decrease in intelligence (and in personal hygiene standards) just as their masters' intellect increases. Each Blackadder and Baldrick are also saddled with the company of a dim-witted aristocrat whose presence Blackadder must somehow tolerate. This role was taken in the first two series by Lord Percy Percy (Tim McInnerny), in the third series by Prince George, Prince Regent, and in the fourth by Lieutenant George, the latter two played by Hugh Laurie.

Each series was set in a different period of British history, beginning in 1485 and ending in 1917 comprising six half-hour episodes. The first series, made in 1983, was called The Black Adder (set in the fictional reign of 'Richard IV'). This was followed by Blackadder II in 1985 (set during the reign of Elizabeth I), Blackadder the Third during the late 18th and early 19th centuries (set in the reign of George III), and finally Blackadder Goes Forth in 1917, set in the trenches of the Great War.

Make the case for your favorite series,and vote in the poll!

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Blackadder (Now w/100% more thread existence & poll!)

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I think the second series was about as brilliant as it gets. I own it. I own the others, but I'm wearing the 2nd series out.
Tom Baker's Captain Rum was hi-larious. Nursie and her udder obsession. Miranda Freaking Richardson. Lord Melchick.
Funny.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

we've certainly have had Blackadder conversations in the Zone before,, but I will happily do it again.

One of my absolute favorite discoveries of the 90s. Love, love, LOVE the entire series. The only mistep may have been that time travelling special.

But if I had to pick one time period, I'd pick the first. That said, the series finale from the WWI series was a tear jerker when they ran over the wall....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 am

I can't answer that, the only thing I'm sure of is that it's not season one. The change in Blackadders character was a huge improvement.

Probably three or four, the last episode of four was brilliant but my favorite single episode (or at least the one I remember the most) was the dictionary one from season three. AARDVARKILASH
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 am

Season 2 Flashheart episode for me, pure magnificant bastadry (yeah I know it's not a real word) from start to finish. The dictionary one comes a close second, and the "Master of Disguise" one aswell.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am

Aw man forgot about Lord Flashheart! The WWI episode with him (behind enemy lines and what not)... brilliant.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

First: Season 2
Second: Season 3
Third: Season 4
Fourth: Season 1

All in terms of Blackadder's deviousness (well 3 and 2 can switch places for that but I prefer 2 to 3 - I had a crush on Miranda Richardson!!!!!)

Can we start a Maid Marion and her Merry Men thread?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby SilentScream on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Series 2 for me 'cause that's when the whole thing finally came together. Best ever episode? the final one set in the trenches of WW1. Poignant, funny and sad. The perfect send off.

Pity Rowan Atkinson went on to do the awful Mr Bean shite.
Jacques Tati he ain't.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Judas Priestly on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 am

Absolutley love Black Adder. Season 2 is probably the best. I miss Atkinson's witty jerk; I hope someday he come's on House as a British doctor with the same attitude.
Judas Priestly
GLIB

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Also re-watching this show on Amazon Prime.

If you've never had the pleasure, I strongly suggest you seek this gem of a series out.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Coaxial