Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Neil Gaiman's American Gods

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 am

Never got around to watching Hannibal, but from what I read about it here in the Zone, it was pretty damned good. Lets see if the director can do the same with this project.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:59 am

It had its ups and downs, but the directing on Hannibal was always phenomenal
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:03 am

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW | BRYAN FULLER ON ‘AMERICAN GODS’ AND ‘AMAZING STORIES’
Bryan Fuller describes a 'Marvel Universe' of gods and says Steven Spielberg is 'very involved' in 'Amazing Stories.'
William Bibbiani wrote:Crave: Where are you at right now, in the process of producing American Gods?

Bryan Fuller: American Gods is cruising along very nicely. It’s very exciting. There’s conversations in the writer’s room that we are having on this show that I’ve never had in a writer’s room before, because we’re actually given the ability to talk about fate and belief, and the rules which we use to navigate society being challenged in a fashion that is not anti-religion, but not necessarily letting religion off the hook entirely.

So it’s very important to us in the show to not be making fun of anybody for their religious beliefs because we all have some sort of belief-like thing in our brain that could arguably be delusional, whether it’s ghosts or gods or whatever superstition, black cats, walking under ladders, et cetera. So every one of us is prone to a delusion-like belief and that feels like it’s an exciting arena to talk about humanity in a way that I haven’t been able to do before on a show. Not since Star Trek really.
One thing that’s absent from the book is organized religion. We don’t really see any priests, and we don’t really go into any churches. Is that something you’re more free to explore on the show?

Oh yeah, we get into Jesus and the big God as well. You know, so much of the book is exploring the more marginalized gods who are struggling to make their way in modern America without the strength of the believers that, say, Jesus and Buddha and Easter might have because of their public personas. So it wasn’t necessarily a part of the novel but ideally what our goal would be with this series - mine, Michael Green’s, Neil Gaiman’s - would be that the book American Gods is actually the Reader’s Digest version of the story.

Are there different versions of Jesus, or would there only be one, do you think?

Oh there’s as many Jesuses as there are cultures that believe in Jesus.

Do you think you’ll have a scene where they all meet and get in an argument?

I won’t say but stay tuned. That’s kind of your answer. [Laughs.]

"What we’re looking at with American Gods is developing a Marvel Universe, not with superheroes but with gods."

The spin-off of American Gods takes place in its own isolated corner. Do you think there’s room to get to Anansi Boys or include it in some way?

Well, we don’t have the rights to Anansi Boys but we’re hoping that we will eventually. Mr. Nancy is going to play a major role in the series and potentially what we’re looking at with American Gods is developing a Marvel Universe, not with superheroes but with gods. As detailed and integrated as the Marvel Universe is, and doing that with deities is something that excited all of us.

So who knows? In success we may have spin-offs of American Gods that follow lesser gods in greater detail than you might in the main series, but there’s all sorts of potential for this show that we’re very excited about and I hope the audience is as enthusiastic as we are so we can bring those dreams to fruition.

Could there be actual superheroes, since we’re interpreting the idea of godhood so loosely in American Gods?

I think ideally these gods become superheroes in their own right, and I think that is their goal, of trying to reignite belief in them will give them more power to become those heroes that they promised their believers that they will become. So there is a heroic interpretation.

Or are you asking, in the rules of the universe, since the rules hinge on thought form - which is, if you believe in anything enough, it manifests into reality - that if we believe in Superman will we manifest him into reality?

I am asking that, yeah.

It’s an interesting question. We don’t necessarily cross over into those kind of broader superheroes but we do extend the thought form umbrella over other things that Americans believe in and may have manifested into reality because of those beliefs.

Something like urban legends, for example?

Yes, exactly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Mr. Wednesday Has Been Cast!

Love. Love. Love this casting!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Keeping a close eye on this one:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 am

Ribbons wrote:Keeping a close eye on this one:

huh, could be really good or a big mess. they spent some money on it, for sure

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:35 am

I'm a big fan of Bryan Fuller's. Wonderfalls is one of my all-time fave shows, and I always admired Hannibal's artistry and dark heart even if it lapsed into pretentious navel-gazing a little too often for my tastes. So I'd be interested in anything Fuller is attached to, is what I'm saying.

I haven't read the Neil Gaiman book that the series will be based on, but a few Zoners that did enjoyed it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Is 'American Gods' Suddenly Our Most Politically Relevant Show?
The first episode hints at ferocious political messages to come.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:26 pm

It's funny/sad that this property is getting such an underground push compared to The Dark Tower. Both are epic, fantastical journey tales. Neither is particularly mainstream, but King is a household name. And while I consider myself a Dark Tower junkie, I'm finding myself more excited about seeing American Gods on TV than I am seeing The Dark Tower in a theater.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 pm

I certainly know which one I'm actually looking forward to. Spoilers: it's this one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Just downloaded the audiobook for AG - the full cast narration, not the Grover Gardner narration. Gots to check this out.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 pm

They had me at Bryan Fuller
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

They had me at "American"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm

too bad I don't have Starz

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm

They had me.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 am

io9:
Two New American Gods Clips Talk About the Deities Who Live Among Us

io9:
Neil Gaiman Journeys to Iceland to Unveil American Gods' Roots in Documentary
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am

I really enjoyed the first episode. Wednesday and Shadow Moon are cast perfectly. It is so good to see McShane chewing up every second of television screen time again.

It took me multiple tries to get through the book - not because I didn't enjoy it, but it was one of those times where life kept interrupting me. I finally made my way through it a few years ago, enjoyed it, but remember few details. So my take on this is is the view of the most casual of fans.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Fri May 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Fievel wrote:I really enjoyed the first episode. Wednesday and Shadow Moon are cast perfectly. It is so good to see McShane chewing up every second of television screen time again.

It took me multiple tries to get through the book - not because I didn't enjoy it, but it was one of those times where life kept interrupting me. I finally made my way through it a few years ago, enjoyed it, but remember few details. So my take on this is is the view of the most casual of fans.

I did not read the book. I know, I know...the horror. First episode was quite good and just way the f*ck out there. I'll be tuning in for more.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 pm

This show is bonkers, but I love it. There aren't a lot of places you can go for g@y genie sex.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial