So what're your kids watching?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

So what're your kids watching?

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:41 pm

This may be a short-lived thread. I'm helping raise twin girls (2 years old, fraternal). They watch too much tv when the sitter-in-law is over (hey, its free daycare).

The shows I approve of are HBO's 'I Spy', and Nick Jr.'s 'Oswald', 'Jack's Big Music Show' (Awesome!), 'Yo Gabba Gabba' (bet the stoners enjoy this), 'Ms.Spider's Sunnytime Patch', 'Olivia', 'Team Umi-Zumi' and 'Blue's Clue's.'

The shows that drive me insane are Nick Jr.'s 'The Fresh Beat Band' (seriously, look up clips), 'Dora The Explorer' and 'Go, Diego, Go.' The latter 2 would be ok, but every bit of dialogue is shouted at top volume. And of course there's good ol' 'Barney.'

That's it, just curious as to what your kids' might watch . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Re: So what're your kids watching?

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 pm

I have a 5 year old daughter and a 19 month old daughter.

Right now the little one goes ape shit for Dora. My older on still likes Dora, but has moved on to shows like Strawberry Shortcake, Little Bear, and yes, the amazingly annoying Fresh Beat Band.
Yo Gabba Gabba is a great show!
I like Oswald too, but its on at more obscure times.

I assume you get the Sprout Channel? That's probably right on point for 2 year olds. Although Sprout does have the MOST annoying show ever: no not Barney, I'm referring to Calliou. I hate that Canadian whiney kid.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Everyone involved w/ the kid rearing is in agreement that 'Callilou' is the worst. I've only heard his whine for about 5 minutes and it was unbearable. My wife says he's an annoying, spoiled brat.

Also, Sprout has that 'Sid the Science Kid' and the animation of the kids creeps me out. Very realistic, roto-scoped or something and they're bouncing around and moving as many body parts as possible.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Also, Sprout has that 'Sid the Science Kid' and the animation of the kids creeps me out. Very realistic, roto-scoped or something and they're bouncing around and moving as many body parts as possible.

You want creepy animation? Look no further than the Australian import Dirt Girl World
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Good LORD. My girls would run away from that . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Nice Marmot wrote: 'Yo Gabba Gabba' (bet the stoners enjoy this)

so sorry wrote:Yo Gabba Gabba is a great show!.

Hmm....

Back to the tread. Sal my 3 year old likes Kipper the Dog, Pingu, Jack's big music show, Olivia. I am also showing her Loony toons and Peanuts cartoons which she enjoys.

Also she cannot get enough Spiderman. Movies, cartoons, whatever. Cannot get enough. She even crawls up on this little ledge we have on the wall and says " Daddy look. Look!" and if I do not say hey Spiderman she gets annoyed with me...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:38 pm

I don't have a child of my own and am also older than 6, so I'm probably not the ideal candidate to field a question like this, but out of principle I hate every kids' show with the "pause to let toddlers scream obvious answers at the screen" format (i.e. Dora & Diego).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't have a child of my own and am also older than 6, so I'm probably not the ideal candidate to field a question like this, but out of principle I hate every kids' show with the "pause to let toddlers scream obvious answers at the screen" format (i.e. Dora & Diego).

Then whatever you do, do NOT watch Blue's Clues. You will punch your tv until your hands bleed.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:05 pm

My (almost 3 years old) son's favorite shows:
-Special Agent Oso
-Handy Manny
-Chuggington
-Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
-Caillou (Yes, it really is annoying. The little bald dude is kind of a little bitch)

He will also watch Sesame Street, and once I got him laughing at a classic episode of Tom & Jerry.

He also likes to watch movies:
-Cars
-All three Toy Story films
-Finding Nemo (my least favorite Pixar)
-The Incredibles
-Madagascar 1 & 2
-Star Wars (Episode IV)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Jakester on Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm

My son (5) loves most of the Nick Jr. shows. He is *really* big into The Fresh Beat Band, and given that in the upcoming season, former Movie Maven at Mania.com, Tara Perry will be taking over as Marina, I don't mind. He is also big into Transformers Prime (and the original Transformers as well), Batman: The Brave & The Bold, Young Justice and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. He also adores the They Might Be Giants "Here Comes..." videos. There's the 1 2 3's, the A B C's, and Science. They are awesome.

My 8 year old daughter watches Doctor Who. She loves The Doctor. She's also into Sarah Jane (natch), Merlin, Sherlock, and Young Justice. She also watches The Middle, but that's not appointment television like The Doctor. Oh, she also really liked that science show "Insectia." She wants to be an entomologist when she grows up.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Jakester wrote:My son (5) loves most of the Nick Jr. shows. He is *really* big into The Fresh Beat Band, and given that in the upcoming season, former Movie Maven at Mania.com, Tara Perry will be taking over as Marina, I don't mind.

A new Marina???? Shit, I wonder how they'll handle this on the show. Ignore it like Darren on BeWitched? Or create a new character to replace Marina.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Jakester on Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I believe they're pulling a Darren. Tara's a (virtual) pal, and it's nice to see a cool (and HOT) movie/comedy nerd do well, so I've started paying more attention to FBB. She's already been out as Marina a few times (they were at Sesame Place on Mother's Day Weekend).
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue May 17, 2011 2:13 pm

The show is dead to me after they replaced Reed. :wink:
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Return to Coaxial