The Shadow Line - New BBC Crime Drama

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Shadow Line - New BBC Crime Drama

Postby Hermanator X on Wed May 04, 2011 3:06 am

This sounds quite interesting, and some quality talent attached (Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rafe Spall, and Christopher Eccleston to name a few).
Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype of the article.

Interview with cast and showrunner

Just a shame that the comparisons with the wire are brought up, but I guess thats the par for the course in lazy journalistic shorthand these days....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: The Shadow Line - New BBC Crime Drama

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 04, 2011 5:14 am

Well I'm excited - stellar cast, great auteur(ish) in Hugo Blick and it's BBC 2 so hopefully won't be too over-explained and stuffed with exposition. But I'm trying to go in cold. Roll on thursday.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:44 am

So... did anyone watch this? I never had the chance to catch it broadcast but recently got done with the bluray.
This was a very good show indeed, you may remember I'm a bit of a fan of The Wire and it's realism in direction, editing and cinematography, performances and storylines. Well The Shadow Line is nothing like that. Rather it is a sort of heightened reality with very formally composed shots, rhythmic editing, spare, doomy dialogue and these mesmerising performances from people like Stephen Rea; the absolute standout, terrifying and unknowable and yet he has such a dark undercurrent of wit about him there's terrible moments where you almost find yourself rooting for him. Everyone else from the awesomely old school Antony Sher to a heartbreaking Christopher Eccleston acquits themselves with style as well. Don't expect gritty realism and be prepared for an attention grabbing but deliberately paced and thematically resonant possible future classic.
And if that don't sell you imagine Dennis Potter meticulously interrogating the conspiracy thriller.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 am

TonyWilson wrote:This was a very good show indeed

it is a sort of heightened reality with very formally composed shots, rhythmic editing, spare, doomy dialogue and these mesmerising performances from people like Stephen Rea; the absolute standout, terrifying and unknowable and yet he has such a dark undercurrent of wit about him there's terrible moments where you almost find yourself rooting for him.

I started watching it tonight, about two episodes in and I'm enjoying it immensely. The standout for me so far would be Stanley Townsend. That guy holds the screen like a motherfucker.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 am

I know you saw something. Do you want to know how I know? Because I saw you too.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 am

I enjoyed this a lot. I heartily recommend it to any Sherlock/Luther fans looking for a new crime show to fill the void. Sure, almost every scene is some ridiculously eloquent (bordering on overwritten) speech that would never spontaneously come out of someone's mouth in a million years, and you could play a deadly drinking game with all the close-ups of hands and/or cigarettes being lit, but fuck it, atmosphere is key here and you have to be willing to go along for the ride. I loved the slow pace of the show. That silence coupled with all the strong performances produces an effect that can only be described as mesmerizing, as Tony said earlier. It sucks you in.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

beep.... beep.... beep.... beep

*sneakily opens one eye*

"Beep"

Masterful.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm

I haven't seen much of Christopher Eccleston as I'm not really a Doctor Who fan; I think the only thing I've seen him in ever is Elizabeth. But his performance on this show was fantastic, so restrained and so moving at the same time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:57 am

Yeh I think Eccleston was the emotional centre here. Never has leaving your keys on the table been so ominous and heartwrenching. You should check out any Eccleston stuff you can, especially Shallow Grave and another film called Heart he's flat out brilliant in both.
TonyWilson

Return to Coaxial