Person of Interest

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Person of Interest

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 29, 2011 3:48 pm

This is the new series produced by JJ Abrams and created by Jonathan Nolan. What exactly it's about is a little hard to say at this point, but it looks like a crime show that involves somehow stopping crimes before they're committed. I'm a little skeptical of anything that comes out of CBS, since I'm pretty sure I like exactly zero of their shows -- but it does have a pretty sweet pedigree, including Michael Emerson as a mysterious benefactor.

Also, Jonathan Nolan is American? wtf?

Anyway, links! -

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/person_of_interest/video/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4YuIf2cIg
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Persons of Interest

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 29, 2011 5:19 pm

That has possibilities. Do you think Cavaziel has realized his film career is stalled? It's all I can imagine, between this and The Prisoner. Both it and this new series have some similar themes, though, so perhaps he just likes the idea of working with such themes.

I wish they had played the lead as scruffy and bearded and unkempt, as seen in the subway car. It would be a completely different approach to a character on mainstream television.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Persons of Interest

Postby Fievel on Sun May 29, 2011 5:46 pm

DennisMM wrote:perhaps he just likes the idea of working.

I think that covers it.
As for the series itself..... YES PLEASE!!! Looks good!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Person of Interest

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:13 am

So I tried my best to watch this last night. Just didn't grab me. Not one tiny bit. Caviziel is WAY too subdued. I kept cranking up the volume just to hear what his mumblings were. He's also not convincing as a bad ass. And Ben Linus is....well, he's Ben Linus, only a GOOD Ben Linus. With a limp.

I thought maybe that Mr Finch's ability to track any human on the planet at any given time might have some supernatural underpinnings, but it seems that the answer is simply that he's a billionaire that can somehow tap into every single camera and recording device known to man. This show is fucking BORING. Perhaps with a different lead, that might have been different.

Consider me a Person of No Interest (in this show). Wacka wacka!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:37 am

Have it DVR'd. Was looking forward to it but I haven't heard anything positive about it at all lately . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:57 am

i chose to record the 2nd half of x factor instead of this last night, but it plays again on saturday, so i figured i can record it then. PLANETMADEOFDIAMONDamn thursday has too many shows already anyway!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am

It's on my DVR. I'll eventually watch it and will give it a few episodes, but the "boring" factor has been in most reviews.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 am

alright, so i finally got around to watching it, and guess what... i liked it! it's certainly not perfect yet, but it's got a lot of promise and potential.

it's definitely a mishmash of different things. the premise is like a cross between knight rider and minority report, caviezel's character is like a cross between jack bauer and liam neeson from 'taken', and ben linus's character is like a cross between bill gates, the rich guy from knight rider, and, well, ben linus, but ben linus will always be compared to ben linus because of Lost. but all those component parts make a good mix for a show. and i like the premise, even if the idea of a computer that can tap into every camera/cell phone/computer in the world and essentially predict the future based on that is a bit far-fetched. but i like the ideas it opens up, and the paranoia/conspiracy atmosphere of the show, which if the show continues long enough, i'm sure will build up into a more prominent aspect of the show. the creepiness of the idea that there's a computer somewhere basically watching every thing you say and do. what if that computer becomes skynet, and starts acting on its own somehow? what if someone else taps into that computer the way ben linus does but for more sinister purposes? what is the CIA, or some even more supersecret govt agency, really using that computer for? it's got a lot of possibilities. and at least they didn't drag out the "mystery" of where he gets his list of numbers, and have the audience waiting all season or series long to find out whether ben linus is psychic, a time traveller, or something like that.

caviezel isn't great but i don't hate him either. he's playing a character who is cold and emotionally stunted, and so the portrayal fits. i'm sure we'll see other sides to the character in future episodes. i'm also sure we'll see his number come up on the list before the season is over too. also, i guess i'm just a sucker for a show where a guy goes casually walking down the street of a major city with a mask and a machine gun like it's a casual sunday stroll.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 am

Finally watched the first episode last night. If anything it just felt way too rushed. I expected to wait through at least half of the season before Caviezel and Emmerson's characters actually meet. I don't know how people ever described it as boring though.

The super computer is just ehhhh, OK why not, I accept it. Let's just get on w/ the new #s to follow up on.

I loved seeing the punk kid who threatened Louis C.K. in the diner on Louie get smacked around on the subway.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:38 am

I caught up with the first five or six episodes and thought it was decent, but not great. It's got a bit of upscale New York flavor to it, which is cool. I guess there's something about the Nolans that makes the work they do inherently classy; half the time I feel like I'm watching a Lincoln car commercial. Although it's supposedly grounded in reality, your suspension of disbelief will require some exercise in order to accept the idea that these two guys can somehow access any cell phone conversation, camera, or microphone in the city. My other beef is that you can usually see the "twists" coming a mile away (OMG that innocent-looking doctor is actually the killer, not the victim!), although thankfully they usually deal with that before the episode is halfway over. It's basically a high-concept procedural, so don't expect much in the way of serialized entertainment, but I am interested in seeing where they're going with this "M. Elias" case, and there are some interesting themes of privacy/isolation that they try and work into every script. This isn't an enthusiastic rave by any means, but I'll be keeping tabs on the show for a little while longer, at least.

Quick, spoiler-ish complaint about the procedural format: a recent episode ended on something of a cliffhanger where "Mr. Reese" was trying to decide whether or not to kill a serial rapist. But it ended, and the show seemed to have forgotten that the incident even happened. I'm still not sure whether he let the guy go or not.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 am

So I don't know if I've just gotten used to the rhythms of this show or what, but it seems to me that in the back-end of this season it got a lot better. They dial down some of Reese and Finch's omnipotence (access to every cell phone/camera/etc. in the city), and some of the relationships and subplots that would maybe get 5 minutes an episode pay off down the road. The "M. Elias" storyline particularly, who turned out to be the bastard son of a mob boss looking for revenge, wrapped up nicely. And this isn't something I normally pay attention to, but the cinematography is awesome (every episode but one was shot by someone named Teodoro Maniaci, who I've never heard of before but who it turns out has done a couple movies I like). Michael Emerson's fuzzy sideburns are still weirdly distracting, though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 am

Is anybody else still watching this show? I was on the fence about continuing to watch after season 2, but I think that this new season is much improved. I think all the NSA stuff has helped make the story seem more relevant. The writers take their cue from it right away, mentioning it in the very first episode, and there's a sense of paranoia that wasn't there before.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 am

I watch but I have no clue how far behind German TV is, possibly reruns of season 1 are what I'm enjoying at the moment.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:28 pm

The last episode I watched was about the owner of a data mining company called LifeTrace being targeted by people who really want their privacy back.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial