Alphas (on Syfy)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Alphas (on Syfy)

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am

Is there a thread for thus show?

Anyone watching this? It's another team of superheroes show. Not ground-breaking by any means, but pretty entertaining.
And it's much better than Heroes (probably should have started the post with that line).

David Strathairn is the non-powered team leader and does a good job with this role.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Alphas (on Syfy)

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:54 am

I agree, David Stratham is absolutely great as the Stoic and level headed leader of this pack.

I still feels quite tame compared to what we've had before (after Hereos, you could have someone blowing up the world and we're all living in an alternate reality and I wouldn't bat an eyelid).

It's ok. It certainly passes the time and I really enjoy Gary. He's just plain awesome.

Edit: I was actually getting quite scared about posting this show because inevitably people make the heroes comparison and then berate it before viewing.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 am

Gary is a great character. I was worried he'd just be a pathetic stereotype but I really enjoy him. His power is really cool to watch and he is the best comic relief on the show without having to resort to stupid, poorly-written gags.

I think the thing about this show that works for me might be what you consider to be tame. Heroes (sorry for the comparison) had such overblown, grand plots that took the whole year to develop and ultimately were a letdown, whereas Alphas is more of a mystery-of-the-week type of show - MUCH smaller in scale. I think this is what works for Alphas and is where Heroes failed. Alphas can have a weak/bad episode and follow up the next week with a much stronger effort. Heroes had horrible seasons. The end.

Random trivia - the show has now had three former cast members of The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Richard T. Jones, Summer Glau, and the always awesome Garret Dillahunt.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

Just caught up with the rest of the first season. This is NOT HEROES.
Is it perfect? Far from it.
But it's something different in the superhero genre and I enjoyed it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 am

I caught part of the marathon SyFy ran just before the season finale and really liked what I saw. The smaller scale, I think, helps the show. It also looks like the show's creator knows what the fuck he is doing.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial