American Horror Story

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

American Horror Story

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 am

All I can say is, I LOVED it from frame one. Ginger kids from the 70's and waist high slacks, a downes kid (brilliant actress, BTW) telling them they're gonna die. That leads into mourning mum hires a maid whom her cheating hubby sees as sexy, and a vinylclad penis-weilder bops mum's mind raw, while her bullied kid seeks solace in a mental-ghost's arms and a crotchety (dead) socialite continues her rivalry with said slutty maid.

Cute, in a Rob Zombie sort of way. I need more, please. :-P
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: American Horror Story

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am

i'm a bit on the fence about this one. i like the idea (no matter how derivative of the shining, the others, and countless other horror movies). the cast is .... ok. dermot mulroney does'nt do much for me, but i like the mother and the daughter is really good. frances conroy is always good, and her sexy hot alter-ego is REALLY good (not necessarily referring to acting here). if we're gonna see dermot mulrooney's ass every 5 minutes, the we better see that hot redhead's ass too! jessica lange is way over the top and caricaturish, and even if she is a ghost that's no excuse for her character to be so ridiculous. i'm still not entirely sure who is or isn't a ghost... latex man, the age-changing maid, are definitely ghosts... i wasn't so sure about jessica lange or the homicidal teenager (why is the psychiatrist treating him if he's a ghost... or is it supposed to be like a role reversal version of the sixth sense?), and the downs syndrome girl, i have no idea. in a way, i think it would be more interesting if jessica lange and her daughter were alive, and just see and talk to the ghost people like they're regular people, but that might be too creative for this show.

anyway, the thing that kind of turns me off about the show is how over-the-top it goes in trying to be arty and edgy. and the editing got really annoying. the show is way over-edited. like if there's a scene where two people are talking, after one person says something, there will be a quick, fraction-of-a-second cut to the reaction shot of the person they're talking to, and then cut back to the talker, and on and on. here and there, to punctuate certain scenes, that could be effective. but when it's done in nearly every scene, it gets old and annoying. or the scenes where there will be jump cuts or microzooms for no apparent reason except they want to show off i guess. like a scene where dermot is running, and then there's a quick jump-edit to the same shot of him running.... just like they snipped a few frames out of the scene and edited it back together. it's pointless and just seems like some film school student is trying to show off. that kind of stuff just kind of annoys me i guess.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah, my hubby was like, "we gotta see his ass AGAIN?" LOL
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'm a bit on the fence about this one. i like the idea (no matter how derivative of the shining, the others, and countless other horror movies). the cast is .... ok. dermot mulroney does'nt do much for me, but i like the mother and the daughter is really good. frances conroy is always good, and her sexy hot alter-ego is REALLY good (not necessarily referring to acting here). if we're gonna see dermot mulrooney's ass every 5 minutes, the we better see that hot redhead's ass too! jessica lange is way over the top and caricaturish, and even if she is a ghost that's no excuse for her character to be so ridiculous. i'm still not entirely sure who is or isn't a ghost... latex man, the age-changing maid, are definitely ghosts... i wasn't so sure about jessica lange or the homicidal teenager (why is the psychiatrist treating him if he's a ghost... or is it supposed to be like a role reversal version of the sixth sense?), and the downs syndrome girl, i have no idea. in a way, i think it would be more interesting if jessica lange and her daughter were alive, and just see and talk to the ghost people like they're regular people, but that might be too creative for this show.

anyway, the thing that kind of turns me off about the show is how over-the-top it goes in trying to be arty and edgy. and the editing got really annoying. the show is way over-edited. like if there's a scene where two people are talking, after one person says something, there will be a quick, fraction-of-a-second cut to the reaction shot of the person they're talking to, and then cut back to the talker, and on and on. here and there, to punctuate certain scenes, that could be effective. but when it's done in nearly every scene, it gets old and annoying. or the scenes where there will be jump cuts or microzooms for no apparent reason except they want to show off i guess. like a scene where dermot is running, and then there's a quick jump-edit to the same shot of him running.... just like they snipped a few frames out of the scene and edited it back together. it's pointless and just seems like some film school student is trying to show off. that kind of stuff just kind of annoys me i guess.

I agree with you about the editing but I think it's purposefully done just so you don't fall too much into a routine, like you would with other shows.

Ironically enough, I say that but the show itself follows a similar standard to everything else being done, it gives you a taster of the show with lots of questions. I would rather see more of the development of the intial characters so we feel we're invested in them. I'd also like something along the lines of Breaking Bad, where they fill in lots of the history of the characters giving them room to breath and feel fleshed out.

We'll see in the coming weeks how this goes. I'm not going to say I enjoy it just yet but it does show promise, especially with women fudging themselves stupid in maid outfits - that's a plus point.

Who know? This could turn out to be for men what True Blood is to women.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:18 am

Cor! It's not afraid to whack you in the face this show is it.

I'm liking the development in the story between the Harmons with their break up. Killing Addie last week was a big blow, I really liked her character too.

This show is incredibly unpredictable and makes compuslive viewing.

It's going to be interesting to find out what the cop makes of Hayden mysteriously disappearing from this cop car and the fallout from the Harmons marriage breakup on Vi.

I want to see more of the gimp man though, he's creepy as hell.

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 pm

papalazeru wrote:Cor! It's not afraid to whack you in the face this show is it.

I'm liking the development in the story between the Harmons with their break up. Killing Addie last week was a big blow, I really liked her character too.

This show is incredibly unpredictable and makes compuslive viewing.

It's going to be interesting to find out what the cop makes of Hayden mysteriously disappearing from this cop car and the fallout from the Harmons marriage breakup on Vi.

i can't keep track of all the ghosts on this show. i think we'll see addie again (as a ghost).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:45 pm

I was kinda hoping that dog was microwave toast LOL (I know, mean right! hehe)
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 pm

theangiechrist wrote:I was kinda hoping that dog was microwave toast LOL (I know, mean right! hehe)

maybe it was... and when the dog shows up later, it's actually the dog's ghost.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:48 pm

papalazeru wrote:

I LOVE HIM! I made a munny of him for my rendering class, the professor loved it hahaha!
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
theangiechrist wrote:I was kinda hoping that dog was microwave toast LOL (I know, mean right! hehe)

maybe it was... and when the dog shows up later, it's actually the dog's ghost.

OMG haha I didn't think of that :)
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Liking this show a LOT more than I thought I would.

Is it me or did they tone down the crazy editing already? It was driving me crazy in the first episode.

And the opening credits would be really cool and impressive if were 1995.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby justcheckin on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Haven't watched it yet but plan too.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:46 am

Nice Marmot wrote:Liking this show a LOT more than I thought I would.

Is it me or did they tone down the crazy editing already? It was driving me crazy in the first episode.

And the opening credits would be really cool and impressive if were 1995.

yeah, they seemed to have toned it down a bit, much to the show's benefit
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:55 pm

The show is still good but....

It's beginning to seem more like the movie Analyse this, except they've swapped the Mafia for ghosts.

Still, it's entertaining and the acting is good.

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 pm

so... violet is a ghost too. is there anybody on this show who is NOT a ghost?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby theangiechrist on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:15 am

I'm still on the fence if the dog is or not LOL
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:17 pm

I don't believe it happened in the last episode, but are they using the score from Copola's Dracula flick in certain scenes? It's in scenes that are overly tense or scary. At first I thought it just sounded very similar, but then I thought it had to be the actual score.

Of course, finding the score and comparing the two should be the first course of action . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Elwenaur on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:16 am

Nice Marmot wrote:I don't believe it happened in the last episode, but are they using the score from Copola's Dracula flick in certain scenes? It's in scenes that are overly tense or scary. At first I thought it just sounded very similar, but then I thought it had to be the actual score.

Of course, finding the score and comparing the two should be the first course of action . . .

Any particular scene? I'm trying to think of Dracula's score, and all that comes to mind are powerful, heavy tracks with a driving rhythm - kinda hard to reconcile with the show.

In a similar vein, I love how they used "Twisted Nerve" from Kill Bill in the episode where Tate goes on his high school killing spree
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm

The music was not used in the newest episode. I'll try to find it on the Dracula soundtrack over the weekend, but there's no way I have time to rewatch any episodes of the show. Hopefully they use it in the finale . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 pm

hmmm. just what this show needs... MORE ghosts.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I guess they're adding at least one per episode.

I wonder what would happen if the ghosts burned the house down on Halloween when they're free to roam. Just be confined to the yard I guess. . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:10 pm

I don't have proof outside of various comments on message boards stating so, but upon listening, I have no doubt they've used the Dracula score in at least 4 or 5 scenes in AHS . . .

If you're impatient, slide over to 1:00 in . . .

Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Elwenaur on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Okay, I went looking to find a scene to compare with that Dracula score but I got sidetracked. I don't know why I found this so funny. Just had to share it:
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Elwenaur on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 pm

The 2nd one might be even better:
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Elwenaur on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Okay, back on subject. You are entirely right about that score!
They use that particular track all throughout episode 3 - "Murder House".
It starts when Vivien is on the murder tour and the guide pulls up to Murder House and starts talking about the Montgomery family.
Well spotted.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Elwenaur on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:25 am

Ok, did anyone else get a distinct Beetlejuice vibe outta this?

That moment between Ben and Vivien in the basement actually made me laugh. Again, later on when Tate just wants Ben to hang out with him...this episode just felt so lighthearted in comparison with the rest of the season. I appreciate the rapid exposition of events, but I was expecting something a lot freakier out of the finale. Sure, there are a few bits of tension/violence, but they feel like filler (aside from the final scene).

Maybe I've just grown too comfortable with the ghosts, but It's hard to see how they will keep the horror and suspense up next season with the same cast...

Oh - excellently disturbing monologue from Jessica Lange!
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:04 am

Elwenaur wrote:Ok, did anyone else get a distinct Beetlejuice vibe outta this?

That moment between Ben and Vivien in the basement actually made me laugh. Again, later on when Tate just wants Ben to hang out with him...this episode just felt so lighthearted in comparison with the rest of the season. I appreciate the rapid exposition of events, but I was expecting something a lot freakier out of the finale. Sure, there are a few bits of tension/violence, but they feel like filler (aside from the final scene).

Maybe I've just grown too comfortable with the ghosts, but It's hard to see how they will keep the horror and suspense up next season with the same cast...

Oh - excellently disturbing monologue from Jessica Lange!

yeah, i had the same thought about Beetlejuice. i do think the humor has been there all along though, maybe not quite as obvious, but i've already begun thinking of this show as almost more of a comedy than a horror show. this show is just crazy batshit insane at times, last night no exception. but in an entertaining way. whatever you say about it, you definitely can't accuse them of pussying out. they don't hold anything back.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm

It seems odd to me that the new family got scared away. Would have been an interesting addition to the next season. Maybe they'll have multiple buyers or potential buyers come and go.

And my only beef w/ this show has been various peoples' unrealistic reactions to others, including total strangers, just showing up in the house unannouced.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:It seems odd to me that the new family got scared away. Would have been an interesting addition to the next season. Maybe they'll have multiple buyers or potential buyers come and go.

And my only beef w/ this show has been various peoples' unrealistic reactions to others, including total strangers, just showing up in the house unannouced.

I really liked it, alot.

Finally, a complete ending a series. It's been so long where a show has actually just finished with no need for a continuation but there's always the possibility.

I would gladly welcome a new series of the show, a new family etc. It could only go on so long unless Satans child plays a greater effect but damn! The show is different, and I enjoy it.

Read this as they have plans for a new house and new faces

Sounds good to me!

papalazeru

Postby Elwenaur on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 am

papalazeru wrote: Finally, a complete ending a series. It's been so long where a show has actually just finished with no need for a continuation but there's always the possibility.

I would gladly welcome a new series of the show, a new family etc. It could only go on so long unless Satans child plays a greater effect but damn! The show is different, and I enjoy it.

Read this as they have plans for a new house and new faces

Sounds good to me!

I am glad that I wasn't left totally hanging at the end of the season (which happens all too frequently anymore).

I remember reading something similar about having a whole new story each season, but that part in the article about having actors come back to play totally different characters really threw me. How are they supposed to pull that off?! Selfishly, I'm all for recycling my favorite people, but that takes a lot of guts and studio trust. I'm really interested to see how they make it work.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:27 am

i just hope they carry through the antichrist storyline into whatever new house/story/etc they have next time. i want to see what happenes with that little demon kid. maybe the next season will be about that kid all grown up and all the ghosts he's been making in the meantime.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 am

Anyone catch AHS: Freak Show last night? I stumbled on it, about half way thru, and watch the rest. I haven't watched a second of this series before. I thought it was decent, I think I'll stick with this one.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Coaxial