The Newsroom (Sorkin + HBO)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Newsroom (Sorkin + HBO)

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Jeff Daniels looks awesome in this. Really fucking awesome.
And it will be weekly on HBO?? Fuck yes.

Now, to see where the show will actually go after all this in the preview:

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Newsroom (Sorkin + HBO)

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 am

Damn, I'm tempted to get HBO just to watch this.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 am

Looks interesting but I can't help to wonder who the hell knows all these statistics from the top of his head.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

Is it weird that I start to get a little bit tired of Aaron Sorkin's schtick? I'm sure as soon as I watch it I won't mind anymore, because we all know that it will be smart AND entertaining, but while watching that trailer I couldn't help it and thought: "Oh...that again."
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:... but while watching that trailer I couldn't help it and thought: "Oh...that again."

See, that's what I thought, but it was thinking more of "Ok, this again..... but now with Jeff Daniels!" Sorkin's material is kind of like an old chair - some people refuse to sit in it at all, some people sit in it and don't find it comfortable, and others sit in it because they know exactly how it will feel, and to their delight it does feel exactly how they thought it would.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah, he is kinda like David E. Kelley: Constantly cranking out some seriously good stuff, that is all in all just a slight variation of what he always did.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm

reminds me of the Guy Ritchie soup debate.

Except that I have no clue who Aaron Sorkin is.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Wonderful. So we'll get another Sorkin "critically acclaimed" but "suck ass ratings"* show? Maybe being on HBO will help, as seemingly everything they produce is gold (uhh, except for Luck :? ).

*Yes, I understand that the West Wing was a ratings success for a good while, but Sportsnight was a bomb, and Studio 60 didn't fare much better.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Al Shut wrote:Looks interesting but I can't help to wonder who the hell knows all these statistics from the top of his head.

Some of the Clinton-era White House people supposedly walked around with heads so full of policy wonkism that they nearly fell over. Clinton himself was considered something of a know-it-all, with Al Gore not far behind.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm

so sorry wrote:but Sportsnight was a bomb, and Studio 60 didn't fare much better.

And they were both really good shows, too. Fucking Nielsen's.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:but Sportsnight was a bomb, and Studio 60 didn't fare much better.

And they were both really good shows, too. Fucking Nielsen's.

Meh. I thought Studio 60 was OK. I probably would have continued to watch it had it lasted...

Sports Night...man I could NOT get into that show.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am

This show premieres tomorrow night, bitchzz. More as this story develops.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby swoop91 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I love it. Speech, the buildup, the story, the chemistry.

Loved the speech at the start. Also loved the point that the traumatised student is now suing the University. A detail on how the society deteriorated in states.
Everyone in touch with the feelings, all too touchy to hear the truth. And they're here to deliver it.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 pm

I thought it was terrific. I love that fast, crackling dialogue and the really smart characters. The cast worked really well, except for the guy playing Don, who had the thankless task of being the only obtuse doofus in the room. I guess it wasn't really the actor's fault; Sorkin made him a dimwit so he got caught with his pants down.

If the quality stays on this level, I'm in for the season.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I liked it, but there were some red flags for me. Too often on Sorkin's shows it feels like the plots and even the characters only exist as mouthpieces for Sorkin himself. I admire the set-up for Jeff Daniels' character, but I would like to see an actual arc there, and be invested in whatever obstacles and personal demons he has to overcome, not just wait for something to come up that allows him to lecture me twice an episode.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed it. I have seen every episode of a Sorkin run TV show. Unfortunately, that means I have come to recognize the myriad of plots, jokes, setups, and characters that he habitually re-uses. At times, it makes his shows hard to enjoy and I was afraid that this was going to be painful to get through.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the intro to this series is eerily similar to Studio 60 (ornery TV big wig goes off on a soliloquy about what is wrong with the state of ___ ), which of course was itself a riff on Network, but there was enough variation on his familiar themes to keep me interested. Particularly, the love triangle between the two producers and Allison Pill. Oddly enough, I can't recall any time in Sorkin's history that he has done a love triangle focusing on three main cast members. It has always been 2 cast members and a guest star or something. So at least that is different?

But I will say, the end had me extremely frustrated. The "reveal" or whatever that she actually was at the event holding up those signs, and not merely a hallucination was a huge disappointment. I would have preferred the alternative, which is what we believe up until that inexplicable moment. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Yes, that was an odd creative decision. I'm guessing/hoping we'll see it pay off down the road somehow.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

You think??!?!?!?!

P.S. If you can sit thru this whole thing you really are a Sorkin fan.

P.P.S. I could NOT sit thru that whole thing... :twisted:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Yup. For about two years I have been waiting for someone to make that video. Glad to see it exists. Now I can show my younger brother what I have been going off about all this time. He wasn't willing to sit down and watch every Sorkin episode with me so that I could prove it to him, the jerk.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Don't talk to me like I'm other people!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Most of the Sorkinisms are whatever and I can deal with. But I swear, if one damn person says "eat em up" in Newsroom, that may be it for me. Each and every time that appears on one of his shows I cringe. Just the way the actors seem to deliver the line. It just bugs me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby swoop91 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:08 pm

This got a season 2.

and is still pretty awesome
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Rosemarie DeWitt & Patton Oswalt Join Aaron Sorkin’s ‘Newsroom’ As Recurring
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:EXCLUSIVE: HBO‘s The Newsroom has added Rosemarie DeWitt and Patton Oswalt to the cast heading into Season 2. Both will play recurring roles on the show, from creator/executive producer Aaron Sorkin and exec producer Scott Rudin. Newsroom chronicles the behind-the-scenes workings at the fictional Atlantis Cable News channel. DeWitt will play Rebecca Halliday, a litigator who’s been hired to defend Atlantis in a multimillion-dollar wrongful-termination suit. Oswalt is playing Jonas Pfeiffer, the new Vice President of Human Resources of ACN.

Newsroom stars Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher, Jr., Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel, Olivia Munn, and Sam Waterston. Its Season 1 recurring guest stars included Jane Fonda, Chris Messina, Hope Davis and David Krumholtz. DeWitt and Oswalt previously worked together on Showtime’s United States Of Tara.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 am

Man is it good to have this back on again!
The overall story arcs for the season look to be good (what the hell happens in Uganda?!?!?).
And that last shot in the hallway was awesome.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 am

This show.......... is awesome.

This season....... is awesome.

Sam Watterson in this last episode..... was awesome.

Jane Fonda for the 3 minutes she was on........ awesome.

Eddie Murphy giving his thoughts on The Newsroom:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 am

I'm really liking this season too, though I'm a little behind (was without cable for a month while they renovated my apartment). Catching up now.

Saw this on Funny or Die today. While I worship at the alter of Sorkin and I do really enjoy the show, I thought that this was pretty insightful and even a little poignant in that Sorkin kinda way...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2a20b0b1b/a-message-to-aaron-sorkin
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Saw this on Funny or Die today. While I worship at the alter of Sorkin and I do really enjoy the show, I thought that this was pretty insightful and even a little poignant in that Sorkin kinda way...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2a20b0b1b/a-message-to-aaron-sorkin

Talk about shooting fish in a barrel. I'd be more impressed if someone took on Breaking Bad (but don't, because I love Breaking Bad).

I too have been enjoying this season more than the last. It's got a lot of the same fundamental flaws, but it seems... better somehow.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 am

I think I never watched what Sorkin is mostly famous for... maybe a random movie here and there, not really paying attention to his particular writing style.

But I have been following The Newsroom... my one-line review is that Sorkin should perhaps do a show called "People Talking in a Funny/Compelling Way" and drop all pretense around doing something topical or "important." :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:30 am

Pacino86845 wrote:...my one-line review is that Sorkin should perhaps do a show called "People Talking in a Funny/Compelling Way" and drop all pretense around doing something topical or "important." :)

I'm pretty sure that's what Sorkin's schtick is all about. Otherwise you're asking him to do something like Friends!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:19 am

Well, with the way that season ended I don't think they were expecting to be renewed! All it lacked was a musical number!!! Not that I don't mind a sweet, sappy ending.... especially considering Maggie's Africa incident (and her serious resulting issues) and the weight of the Genoa ordeal. It was just a little.... TOO sweet. I guess I'm just used to bad things happening to offer balance. Speaking of balance, I hope Taylor is around next season (although I'll always think of her as Dana from Entourage).

Great season - even better than the first.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 pm

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/13/the-newsroom-canceled/

The Newsroom will return to HBO for a third, and final, season. While this show has never reached its potential, Sorkin's writing, for me, continues to make it worth the price of admission. And I did ultimately like season 2 more than 1. Interested to see where they go this year.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm

I'd like to see Sorkin do something more challenging for his next project, like a show about a man living by himself in the Yukon. Who chops wood and hunts squirrels all day.
If he can write witty banter around that, then I'd be impressed.

P.S. Someone please find a new gig for Olivia Munn on network TV.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 pm

so sorry wrote:I'd like to see Sorkin do something more challenging for his next project, like a show about a man living by himself in the Yukon. Who chops wood and hunts squirrels all day.
If he can write witty banter around that, then I'd be impressed.

not a problem. just name that character "Smeagol"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 am

played by Olivia Munn
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:41 am

Al Shut wrote:played by Olivia Munn

:wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:59 am

Damn..... I'm going to miss this show. One more to go.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Coaxial