Say you want a REVOLUTION...

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Say you want a REVOLUTION...

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am

Anyone watching this? I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories and this is fitting that bill nicely. I have a feeling that the actual reason for the outage is going to cause an eye roll and a groan, but until that point I am really enjoying this ride. They've done a fantastic job of reining in the cheese factor JUST when it's about to reach the unbearable state - something that other shows (Jericho) could never manage to avoid. Having said that, they've managed to inject proper amounts of needed emotional weight to the show that have been needed to give the show a sense of purpose.

I am really bummed they killed off Maggie so quickly. I really liked her story (searching for her kids) and the iPhone bit was a cute reminder of how reliant we are on technology these days. I didn't even realize until her final episode that her kids weren't even in North America. I thought it was going to be part of her story to find her kids in America.

Elizabeth Mitchell - is she the new, female Ted McGinley? Kills every TV show she's on? I actually enjoy watching her so I hope she and this show work out.

Brings up another point - I sort of enjoy how they are doing the flashbacks of how the whole militia began with these large moments. I hope they are effective in getting that story across.

Anyways, this seems to be a pretty well-written, fairly well thought out show so far. It has been picked up for a whole season. Here's hoping it continues to work and make sense.

Oh, and it has Giancarlo Esposito. Unfortunately he is way too over-the-top (as is every Militia member) in this compared to his portrayal of Gus Fring.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Revolution

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 am

Good idea about starting its own thread.

That said, I chose not to invest any time into this show, although, like you, I enjoy a good post-apocolyptic story. Despite being bludgened over the head with the promos leading up to the premiere, it just wasn't pulling me in. Maybe it was the bow and arrow schtick being too close to the Hunger Games, maybe it was the normal-professor-guy-turned-samurai-swordsman that didn't sit with me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 am

yeah, no interest in this. did they ever bother to explain why, in a country where there are more guns than people, everyone goes around shooting each other with bows and arrows? guns don't run on electricity yknow.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby swoop91 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:39 pm

its so bad..

and no electricity but YAY lightning? waaat?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby King Psyz on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm

TheBaxter wrote:yeah, no interest in this. did they ever bother to explain why, in a country where there are more guns than people, everyone goes around shooting each other with bows and arrows? guns don't run on electricity yknow.

Yeah the militia went around in force collecting all the weapons and stockpiling them, along with all canned goods, etc.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 am

King Psyz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:yeah, no interest in this. did they ever bother to explain why, in a country where there are more guns than people, everyone goes around shooting each other with bows and arrows? guns don't run on electricity yknow.

Yeah the militia went around in force collecting all the weapons and stockpiling them, along with all canned goods, etc.

yeah, that's believable. you know how eager members of the NRA are to give up their guns to anyone who comes knocking.
if obama can't take away everybody's guns, NOBODY can.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Say you want a REVOLUTION...

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

I haven't watched any episodes yet, but they're currently stockpiling on my DVR.

There's an interesting interview with Eric Kripke over at Collider about the genesis for this show, among other things:

http://collider.com/eric-kripke-revolution-interview/195880/

Basically he says that an image flashed through his mind of two dudes having a swordfight outside a dilapidated Starbucks and decided he wanted to make whatever that was.

When I am kicking around show ideas, or really any idea, usually an image comes to me. I don’t really start with a character or a logline like, “What if the electricity turned off?” I was just noodling on an idea from an image of two guys having a sword fight, Lord of the Rings style, but instead of some kind of English Stonehenge, vine-covered structure as their backdrop, they were doing it in front of a vine-covered Starbucks. It was honestly that. And then, I started thinking, “Can we make America into a feudal kingdom, where we can have adventures and heroes and villains and love and loyalty?” It was just about coming up with a setting where you could tell a really classic, epic, sweeping adventure saga that was a very Joseph Campbell type of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings world.

I wanted to tell that story, using the advantage of the medium of series television. The disadvantage that Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings had, as much as I’m a slave to those movies, is that they don’t have 22 hours a season, hopefully, to tell that story and to really flesh out every facet of their world. I thought this would be a great opportunity to use the television medium to really be able to dive, neck deep, into that type of story. So, it started with that.

Bad Robot and I had been wanting to do something together for awhile. I said, “I’ve got this idea for after the fall of society, and dudes with swords and heroes, and there’s this farm girl who sets off on this adventure.” They said, “Great! What caused society to fall?” And I said, “I don’t know. Maybe a plague?” And they said, “Well, you know, we’re working on this story about what happens if there was a blackout. We wanted to tell a story in the initial aftermath of that, but we’re having trouble because that’s a really depressing show.” And I said, “Well, your chocolate is going to meet my peanut butter, my friends.” So, we took both ideas and, from that, Revolution was born.

It sounds cheesy, but in a good, Killraven way. So I think I'm on board with what Kripke is going for. Honestly I'm not the least bit interested in the mystery surrounding the power outage, and it sounds like he isn't either, so I'm hoping the studio doesn't lean on him too much about "answering the questions" that are destined to be MacGuffins anyway.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:16 am

So I kept with the show. It became progressively horrible up to the mid-season break. And then the break came......

....and the break was so long (they had to lose a shitload of viewers because of this fact alone) it was hard to remember what was good or bad about it before. But things got a little bit better. They de-emphasized the young female lead and focused more on her uncle - a more charismatic lead, and a much better actor. They killed the brother (yay!). But then there was so much side-switching it was like an allegiance orgy.

And the season finale..... negated the premise of the entire series - the power came back on. But then ICBMs were fired at the cities housing major militias in hopes of allowing the "true" American government (which had been camped out in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba these past 15 years?!??) to power. So now the next season is going to be about a major civil war for power?!? And they haven't even considered the California group (under Governor, or was it President, Affleck!).

This show is shit. Absolute dogshit. It will never win any awards.
But it's not supposed to. Just don't tell the people in charge that.
And it's 100% addictive like crack.

The writing? Story-wise? All over the map. The episodes connect (overall story arc) but they don't flow together (minor character arcs) at times. Characters? The Miles/Monroe rivalry was taken to pathetic proportions in the finale (might as well have just said "I can't quit you!"). And the fact that no one on Team Miles shot Monroe was even more pathetic. Dialogue? Appropriately cheesy.

The action - THIS is where the show excels. Anytime there is any sort of action, be it a major battle or gunfire in an underground bunker it looks pretty decent. They put a lot more thought into their action scenes than they do into any sort of character development...... and really, that's fine with me. Especially with where the show is headed next season - there's likely going to be a ton of action.

It's the new Jericho.

Last night's episode
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby swoop91 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 pm

I'll just copy paste from facebook group:

i stopped around episode 7 but picked up later and watched in bulk till today. Tell me is it normal that you can blast your way throught nuke impregnable door with some c4? and that the bunker has an underground river that runs out just like that...

I mean, technical details. Also give more meta with aaron etc. And so much coat turning, like what the fuck.

I've read DT 3-4 books. So i liked the symbolics. Anyways..all these love hate relationships and "at the last monent stuff" is getting on my nerves. But as soon as I relaxed and was watching the fun stuff was fun. I also liked a lot that they turned on the power. I want to see what they do with nanobots now. I'm sure they'll be programming them/reprogramming them.

Anyways I'm always about the story and thing is with SF we rarely get the closure. Okay we're 20years after blackout. we turn the lights on, get to the end and then what? How do people cope with powere etc..

Also biggest deal for me was HOW the hell did they get the pwoer? Lines are down, facilities are destroyed.. and whole world has power now?

It would be more fun if the "power" wasn't on due to infrastructure destruction, but hey.. can't be all perfect. we'll see. so next season? after bad start it was a bit better.. its the only new show I've managed to complete this year though.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm

swoop91 wrote:I've read DT 3-4 books. So i liked the symbolics.

This was in reference to me saying this on The Zone Facebook Page regarding one of the show's bad guys, Randall Flynn:

Interesting note - last night's episode was titled Dark Tower, the same title of Stephen King's 7 (now 8) book magnum opus. One of the bad guys in that series was named Randall Flagg. Flagg often took aliases that carried the same initials of RF.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I've been steadfastly keeping up with Revolution and only have the last two episodes to get through, but this is one of those shows that I'm probably not going to be tuning in for next season. I know some people kind-of like it, and other people think it's gotten better, and still more people know it's bad but like it anyway, but I can't get into it. The sets all look like sets (complete with one upturned car in every location), the costumes are all cheesy and distracting, the dialogue is sub-B-movie, and the characters all completely uninvolving. Tracy Spiridakos is surely the worst lead on any Bad Robot series ever, which is disappointing because I'm almost always proud for my fellow Greeks. Supernatural has a cult following and I would imagine that both shows have similar pros and cons. I never liked Supernatural so I shouldn't be surprised that I don't like this, but I had hoped against hope that Abrams' production team and a slightly different writers' room would temper or enhance some of Kripke's more obnoxious tendencies. Sadly, it still feels like I'm watching a boy play with action figures.

On a less critical note, I'm shocked by how much violence and foul language they get away with.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby swoop91 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am

Personally, there are many issues I think should have been tackled before on this show.
One of the shows I quit watching was W13 and other was Fringe. I can compare them to this, as this at least nuked some plot holes while opened another plots.

Post global disaster slowly building back that doesn't involve zombies is nice. I hope it ends with 2-3 seasons and a really happy positive ending that brings back "faith" into humanity.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 am

1. With all the violence in this show, I can't believe they moved it to 8:00!
2. The show is definitely not going to be like Season 1 in many ways (main plot/motives/enemies/etc.).
3. The show will definitely be like Season 1 in many ways (Overall WTF? Factor)

Too intrigued to see what's going to happen for me to stop watching at this point, especially with Aaron coming back from the dead like that - especially after he finally showed signs of a fighter.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 am

Fievel wrote:1. With all the violence in this show, I can't believe they moved it to 8:00!
2. The show is definitely not going to be like Season 1 in many ways (main plot/motives/enemies/etc.).
3. The show will definitely be like Season 1 in many ways (Overall WTF? Factor)

Too intrigued to see what's going to happen for me to stop watching at this point, especially with Aaron coming back from the dead like that - especially after he finally showed signs of a fighter.

Conceptually, I'm intrigued...I like the whole nanobytes things, the performances are mediocre (apart from Gus) and the show has moved on dramatically from Season 1 wasn't expecting the bombs to drop. I'm ok with it so far even though I still don't care enough about the cast members apart from Beardy who nearly died but didn't, honestly, I thought he was an interesting character.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:06 am

papalazeru wrote: honestly, I thought he was an interesting character.

I thought the same thing last season with the lady that carried the iPhone around - a really interesting character, and I loved the hook of her carrying the iPhone because it still contained pictures of her missing kids (after 15 years). What a cool character to develop, especially with the power coming back on in spurts with the medallions and then globally for a minute. But no... they killed her off.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 am

So far..... so much better!!! I really hate the girl. Oh dear lord, how I hate the girl.... but she's a necessary component to the story (possibly leading Monroe back to the group).
But their fucking insistence on creating Twlight-esque sub-plots with her are dragging the story/show down!!!

-Really dig the creepy dialysis guy (Albie from Big Love!). Seemed like something out of a Fallout game side-story.
-Very intrigued by the US Government.
-Very intrigued by the nanotech.
-Very intrigued by what Tom Neville might accomplish within the new Government.

They've got some very interesting balls rolling right now. I just hope they guide them down the correct, and entertaining paths.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 am

FIrst half is done..... and this show has become REALLY entertaining!!!!.... if you don't think too hard.

-Monroe has gone from the cruel monster despot who killed countless for little to no reason....... to this fantastic wise-cracking ninja character who is helping the main characters - supposedly just to find his son, but likely to stop the new govt. and to try and reclaim his position in power. But the new character itself is great. "I'm Batman" had me laughing out loud.

-Super-powered Aaron.... a potentially annoying subplot is actually completely fascinating and I can't wait to see where they go with this. I love how they wrapped up last night's episode with all of the consequence - yes, you can destroy the entire attacking army here, but you can't save your girlfriend, and your power is probably gone now. I just hope the new rage-infested Aaron we saw at the end remains and that he now learns to finally pick up a weapon and defend himself.

-So much less Charlie being Charlie. 'Nuff said.

-The whole Neville Family subplot - I wanted to be annoyed by it.... but nope, I was just intrigued by it.

Yeah, keep the entire first season tucked away in the back corner of your mind and pretty much just forget it..... and this second season is just ridiculously entertaining.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 am

Seriously.... this show is just batshit entertaining.... and is about to get even more so after Aaron's virus time shift-thing.... WTF?!?!?!? :shock: :lol:

And Charlie.... when you turn her into a female Clint Eastwood-type character by only giving her a few lines an episode.... she's a MUCH better character and a shitload hotter. She was easily THE WORST thing about the first season and they vastly improved her this season by changing her character.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:03 am

I just started going through season 2 now, so WATCH THIS SPACE. (Or not, do whatever you want jerk!)

Anyway some interesting developments in-between seasons 1 and 2. They turned the power back off but the bombs did drop, the nanobots won't let Aaron die, etc.

Although Revolution always vaguely reminds me of other, usually better shows, I like that they have a sense of humor about the traces of the "Old World" left around. There was a scene in Las Vegas where a barker advertised "David Schwimmer, The Last Surviving Friend" behind a tent, which I found hilarious for some reason.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:32 am

I have to say, I'm actually kind of liking season 2. Just in time for the show to be cancelled. I can't put my finger on what's different, but it's just better, somehow.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 am

Season two was almost a completely different show than the first.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Serious question: what is the total body count on this show? There are seriously like 20 deaths an episode.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 am

Ribbons wrote:Serious question: what is the total body count on this show? There are seriously like 20 deaths an episode.

After the finale of the first season, it lies somewhere in the millions, I'd imagine. :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Coaxial