Bryan Fuller's MANIMAL

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Bryan Fuller's MANIMAL

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 pm

yeah, i wish they hadn't spoiled that bit. seems unnecessary. i don't think anyone's going to watch because of that spoiler, who wouldn't have watched otherwise.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:05 pm

TheBaxter wrote: i don't think anyone's going to watch because of that spoiler, who wouldn't have watched otherwise.

Well it pushed me from probably to certainly if that counts.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:44 am

I've read in an interview (forgot where it was)that this might be the first scene of the new season. According to Bryan Fuller, they already knew how the season would end, but he didn't want to wait for so long until the certain moment happens, so they are gonna use it as a framing device. Still a spoiler, but apparently only for the very beginning.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:04 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I've read in an interview (forgot where it was)that this might be the first scene of the new season. According to Bryan Fuller, they already knew how the season would end, but he didn't want to wait for so long until the certain moment happens, so they are gonna use it as a framing device. Still a spoiler, but apparently only for the very beginning.

sounds like a clever way of preparing for the possibility of the show being cancelled midseason.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I've read in an interview (forgot where it was)that this might be the first scene of the new season. According to Bryan Fuller, they already knew how the season would end, but he didn't want to wait for so long until the certain moment happens, so they are gonna use it as a framing device. Still a spoiler, but apparently only for the very beginning.

apparently this is correct

Hercules wrote:How does it start?
With an exciting flash-forward. Dr. Lecter carves raw meat with a knife that catches the reflection of Jack Crawford. Then: “12 weeks earlier.”
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm

The South Koreans see Hannibal in a way that the rest of the world never could..... (should?).......

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Please God let that be real!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm

I had read somewhere that this series was intended to be three seasons long, with the third veering heavily into "Red Dragon" territory. I guess we'll get a chance to see how true that still is.

By the way I'm a week behind, but the "Shiizukana" episode (which I just watched) unofficially helps justify the joke title of Manimal.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat May 10, 2014 1:22 am

And the good news was followed by one of the best episodes of the series so far.

So thankful they kept it around another season - so unlike NBC. With Amazon's big push to make the episodes immediately available after they debut on NBC, I wonder if they'd pick it up (with the international financing continuing) if NBC drops it before Fuller & Co. are ready to let it go?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 am

yes, i've really been enjoying the show now that mason verger has come on the scene, michael pitt's been pretty entertaining in the role and it's fun to see the character in his pre-eyelid-removal days. the whole freddie lounds switcheroo i saw coming a mile away but it was still a fun reveal.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:I had read somewhere that this series was intended to be three seasons long, with the third veering heavily into "Red Dragon" territory. I guess we'll get a chance to see how true that still is.

By the way I'm a week behind, but the "Shiizukana" episode (which I just watched) unofficially helps justify the joke title of Manimal.

The first three seasons will cover the relationship between Graham and Lecter, culminating in Graham capturing Lecter. Season 4 will then adapt the events of Red Dragon. SOURCE - http://www.assignmentx.com/2013/exclusi ... an-fuller/

Also, the very first murder you see Graham talking about in Episode 1 is supposed to be an early Tooth Fairy case.

I did read something about how they were considering doing a couple of seasons without Graham and then bringing him back to team up with Starling later on if they get renewed that long.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat May 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Last night was just ridiculously good.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 am

yeah, everything with mason verger since he came on the scene has been gold. i am a bit bummed though that he came out of his ordeal with his eyelids intact.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon May 26, 2014 1:14 am

My god...... that was just amazing.
What an episode.
What a season.
What a series as a whole.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Will Ferrell's MANIMAL

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 pm

‘Manimal’ To Roar With Will Ferrell, Adam McKay & Jimmy Miller
JEN YAMATO wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Sony Pictures Animation has set Jimmy Miller’s Mosaic and Will Ferrell and Adam McKay’s Gary Sanchez Productions on Manimal, the feature based on the cult 1980s TV show about a man who fights crime using his ability to morph into animals. Miller, Ferrell, and McKay will produce along with original series co-creator Glen A. Larson, and Key & Peele EPs Jay Martel and Ian Roberts already have been tapped to write.

The original 1983 series starred Simon MacCorkindale as Dr. Jonathan Chase, a dashing and wealthy man raised in Africa who was also “master of the secrets that divide man from animal.” It was cancelled after eight episodes, only to live on in the hearts of a devoted cult fandom (flash back with a clip from Manimal below). Sony Pictures Animation’s live-action/animation hybrid will reinvent that concept as an action-comedy with heavy visual effects and animated elements. SPA President of Production Michelle Raimo Kouyate and SVP Michael Lachance are overseeing for the studio.

After finishing Anchorman 2, Ferrell and McKay zeroed in on the Manimal project as a prime addition to the growing Gary Sanchez lineup that includes TV and film projects and the new female-oriented Gloria Sanchez offshoot. “I think it’s right down our alley, it’s what we do,” said McKay. “It’s tongue-in-cheek and has an action component, but overall it’s a comedy.” Miller, Ferrell, and McKay will next hunt for a director.

“Like The Catcher In The Rye or The Sound And The Fury, Manimal has always been one of those elusive projects every producer dreams of taking to the silver screen,” said McKay. “I know the movie will be funny and entertaining, but will it be the first film to win a Pulitzer? We’ll just have to see.”

Miller’s Mosaic previously teamed up with Ferrell and McKay to produce The Other Guys, Step Brothers, and Talladega Nights and recently produced Bad Teacher. TV super-producer Larson created popular series Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider and Magnum, P.I. Gary Sanchez Productions’ credits include Step Brothers, The Other Guys, and Anchorman 2. Martel and Roberts were previously tapped by Gary Sanchez to write the Will Ferrell-Kevin Hart comedy Get Hard, which WB will release in March. Sony Animation is at work on Hotel Transylvania 2, coming in 2015; a fully animated Smurfs pic in 2016; animated Popeye from director Genndy Tartakovsky; animated feature Medusa from director Lauren Faust; and the live-action/stop-motion hybrid Superbargo from the exec producers of Robot Chicken.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 pm

this thread is gonna get real confusing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:42 am

i'm glad to see this show has been moved to Thursday where it has a better chance. sure it's summer, but that also probably helps since there's less competition (moving to Thursday during the regular season would probably not be so helpful). i just wonder if it's too little too late, anyone just starting to tune in now will be hopelessly confused.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:23 pm

I hope not. I've been reading a couple interviews lately where Fuller talks about season 4 like it's a sure thing. I know the ratings aren't great, but maybe someone at NBC really likes the show.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 pm

the ratings have never been great, i'm actually pretty surprised the show is still on. the good news is, if it's stayed alive this long at this ratings level, then as long as they maintain those ratings the show shouldn't be going anymore.
my hope is they do have an endgame in mind, sort of like bates motel which also got renewed for 2 more seasons and then apparently is ending, so it will be able to finish the story they set out to tell. the 2 shows are pretty similar, since we know how both these shows will end storywise if they're given the time to get there.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Ribbons wrote:I hope not. I've been reading a couple interviews lately where Fuller talks about season 4 like it's a sure thing. I know the ratings aren't great, but maybe someone at NBC really likes the show.

and then that happened.

well i just hope they are able to wrap it up in a satisfying manner. especially if they were counting on a season 4, it might be difficult to find a good ending point. i guess we won't get to see clarice starling in this show, but if they can bring it up at least to the point where hannibal is captured for good, and prior to the beginnings of red dragon, then that would still be ok. just don't leave things hanging in the air because you're hoping to get another season on netflix or yahoo or something. end with hannibal's capture, and then if you DO get another season somewhere else, you can do an alternate history version of red dragon/silence. it's not like the show hasn't already veered significantly from the backstory established in the books or films.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, fuck.

I kind of hope they don't wrap it up. For one thing, so they could leave the window open for the show's return on another channel (or website or video game console or cereal box or...), which based on this information is still very much a possibility.

But also, for me anyway, this is not one of those shows that needs to be wrapped up. There are certain series where I would either like to know what the fuck is going on, or I would like some closure. But I think the best way they could honor the long, strange trip that Hannibal has been is to just keep doing what they're doing now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:24 pm

just caught up with the hannibal finale and i thought it was pretty great. i'm glad they were able to give it a decent wrap-up with a nicely re-shot ending. even though things were obviously a little rushed towards the end to give it that closure, it still worked and didn't feel too forced. i'll miss this show. i'll go away still trying to figure out how they got so much gore by the censors on a network tv show, and still trying to figure out what the hell was going on with bedelia and her leg at the end.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 am

I've got all the episodes saved up. I was planning on watching them sometime this week or next. I read some comments about how the first half of this season is confusing and slow, but hopefully that won't be as frustrating if I shotgun the whole thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 am

Ribbons wrote:I've got all the episodes saved up. I was planning on watching them sometime this week or next. I read some comments about how the first half of this season is confusing and slow, but hopefully that won't be as frustrating if I shotgun the whole thing.

That's exactly the same thing I did with Season 2 of True Detective, but have yet to watch it...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm

I've still only seen a few episodes of this show, but I wanted to say that I respect the hell out of the fact that during it's three season run the name of this thread never changed.

Bless you all.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 pm

given a Hannibal who occasionally grew antlers, and a final villain who occasionally grew wings, the name of this thread is actually fairly accurate.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:35 am

TheBaxter wrote:given a Hannibal who occasionally grew antlers, and a final villain who occasionally grew wings, the name of this thread is actually fairly accurate.

Sounds rather kinky.
caruso_stalker217

Re: Bryan Fuller's MANIMAL Returns?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

EMPIRE 15 Aug 2017:
Bryan Fuller Confirms Talks For A Hannibal TV Revival
John Nugent wrote:Back in 2015, NBC cruelly murdered Hannibal, the small-screen adaptation of Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter series, cancelling after three seasons owing to low ratings. A fan campaign to save the show started almost immediately, and series creator/showrunner Bryan Fuller promised that talks would open about reviving the show after two years – as that would mark the point at which the rights to The Silence of The Lambs expire. Well, it's been two years, and true to his word, Fuller is exploring his options.

In a tweet response to a fan, Fuller confirmed that producer Martha De Laurentiis had "started those conversations", but acknowledged that these things "take time". Yesterday, De Laurentiis posted a photo of herself and Fuller, with a Hannibal figurine, sending the Hannibal online fandoms into a frenzy.

The show, which starred Mads Mikkelsen in the title role, largely incorporated elements of the Red Dragon and Hannibal novels, but until now has not featured plotlines from The Silence Of The Lambs, the most famous entry in the series immortalised by the 1991 Jonathan Demme film. That looks to be changing now.

In earlier interviews, Fuller has stated that he would interested in doing a season of "six to eight episodes", described as "Inception meets Angel Heart". With Mikkelsen and co-star Hugh Dancy said to be on board for a potential fourth season, all the pieces seem to be coming together – all it needs is a home. Having cancelled the show first time around, NBC are unlikely to recommission, but Hannibal has enough fans and criticial praise to find a streaming suitor.

It's still early days for the project. Fuller has also tweeted that negotiating rights, arranging various schedules and actually writing and producing the thing means any new season is "at earliest 4-5 years away". It may be require patience, but Hannibal's return is increasingly looking to be a case of 'when', rather than 'if'. Pass the chianti.

Bryan Fuller On Hannibal's Possible Future
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 pm

I enjoyed Hannibal (more or less), but I think Fuller should just leave it as it is. They wrapped it up in a way that felt appropriate, and five years from now people will have moved on. Although there are exceptions (Twin Peeeeeaks), I'm not a fan of this current trend of TV show revivals, particularly ones that have to undo everything that happened in the original finale... and as anyone who's seen the end of Hannibal knows, this one will have to.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 am

I just want to say that I truly appreciate that for the entire run of this series and to this present date that the title of this thread has been "Bryan Fuller's MANIMAL."

I've seen maybe three episodes of this show total.
caruso_stalker217

Previous

Return to Coaxial