Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 pm

SPOLIERS
Joss Whedon’s SHIELD Show Gets An Official Plot Blurb – And Full Title
Brendon Connelly wrote:ABC have listed the upcoming SHIELD show on their “media planning and buying resource,” All Access.

If you weren’t convinced that this show was getting a full series order before, you should be now – there’s not much “media planning and buying” to be done without a show to air.

The listing includes a full blurb, as well as a fuller title. The show also officially has a name now, and that name is Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD.

Now, be warned that this blurb contains some character details that lightly spoil the first episode arc of one of the characters. A bit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 am

Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Near Series Order at ABC
The Marvel TV vehicle is expected to get the official nod Friday, May 10, with a big marketing push likely to start Sunday, May 12.
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Consider Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on the air at ABC.

The Joss Whedon drama based on the Marvel Comics property is near a series order at the Disney-owned network, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, with an official green light expected to come Friday morning,
May 10.

The ABC Studios project is based on Marvel Comics' secret intelligence organization that has appeared in countless titles, including Iron Man, Captain America and The Ultimates, since being introduced in the 1960s. The military law-enforcement agency's moniker stands for Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistic Directorate, which also has evolved over time in the comics.

Whedon is on board to co-pen the pilot alongside his brother Jed Whedon and Jed's wife, Maurissa Tancharoen; the trio previously teamed on the three-part web series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Avengers and Buffy the Vampire Slayer mastermind Whedon directed the pilot, which has had ABC social media accounts for months. S.H.I.E.L.D. is executive produced by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV's Jeph Loeb.

ER's Ming-Na stars as Agent Melinda May, The Avengers' Clark Gregg reprises his role as Agent Phil Coulson, Killing Lincoln's Brett Dalton is set as gruff rising star Agent Grant Ward, Elizabeth Henstridge as science whiz Agent Gemma Simmons and Iain De Caestecker as tech guru Agent Leo Fitz, with Nashville's Chloe Bennet set as Skye, a superhero-obsessed woman.

Since the project was first announced in August, it has been a clear front-runner to land on ABC's 2013-14 schedule. ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee told reporters in January that the project was being fast-tracked and he was "very hopeful" that the entry with a "great script" would go to series.

"Marvel has the ability to bring the whole family around it," Lee said at the time. "Joss has great relationships around it. There's a lot of real funny male-female relationships and flirtations, but it's also Joss and Marvel, so there's a lot of action to it."

"My boss Bob Iger buys Marvel, and how wonderful is it for ABC to be able to use the core talent from that and not use the Marvel brand but the Avengers franchise for a show that is not exactly about the Avengers but is attached to it?" Lee said, noting that Whedon was already working on scripts at the time.

ABC is expected to begin a major marketing push for the high-profile project with a sizable built-in fan base as soon as Sunday, May 12, during the season finale of Once Upon a Time. While ABC would yet not confirm S.H.I.E.L.D. had been ordered to series, a cryptic promo featuring Marvel's Hulk popped up on a network YouTube account Thursday, May 9, perhaps a telling sign of its imminent pickup. (The video has since been removed.)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Marvel TV

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Schweet.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 14, 2013 6:07 pm

COULSON LIVES
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Al Shut on Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 am

Unimpressed, will check out
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am

Looks OK. Having Agent Coulson as the main centerpiece is a stretch, but I guess he's the "fan favorite" right now, and really the only actor from the Avengers movies that would take a TV gig I bet.

That girl is teh hawt, so that may get me to tune in at least once... :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 15, 2013 12:25 pm

i liked avengers ok enough, but this has zero interest to me. feels like a cross between heroes and fringe. or like the avengers without the actual avengers. what, was hawkeye too busy giving archery lessons?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah, not getting a good vibe off of this one. I don't see how it can work as an ongoing series; Marvel may have bitten off more than they can chew here. And the ever-so-precious Whedon dialogue seems more defensive than anything else.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 am

Agents of SHIELD: TV Review
The ABC series, co-created by Joss Whedon, follows non-superheroes in Marvel's "Avengers" universe who are tasked with fighting forces of evil.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 am

and so it begins again...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 am

Introducing Jim Steranko, SHIELD Creator and THR Recapper
Meet the man most directly responsible for Marvel's super-spy organization and for making Nick Fury the eye-patched badass he is today -- and he'll be giving us his thoughts on "Agents of SHIELD" every week.

'Agents of SHIELD' EPs on Expectations, Lessons From Joss Whedon, Marvel's 'Code of Silence'
Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon talk with THR about "The Avengers" follow-up, coping with the pressure of being Marvel's first scripted effort and how they'll court families as ABC looks to the comics-themed drama to rebuild Tuesdays.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:00 am

Watched it. Liked it. A little cheesy toward the end. I like Coulson. I like Whedon. I like Marvel. Not perfect but I'll keep watching.

-my in depth analysis.

EDIT: ok i was reading through the collated reviews on the main page (remarkably glowing) and this little note from the SF Chronicle resonated:

"S.H.I.E.L.D." is the anti-"Homeland," in a way: It's all about making TV fun again. …

Perhaps one of the reasons I liked the Pilot. I've been obsessed with Breaking Bad. I'm looking forward to Walking Dead. I enjoy Boardwalk Empire. But it's nice to have a little something to cleanse the palate. This is to those shows as The Avengers is to Nolan's batman films. Different animals. One isn't necessarily "better" than the other, but taken together they can provide a nice full-bodied geek experience. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go have some wine and cheese.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm

There was a lot going on in the pilot, so it didn't seem as fun as it could have been. At times it was like they were hitting the bullet points of all the exposition and plot set up they had to get through. But it's Marvel and Whedon so I'm on board. It seems like Extremis will be a thing. Maybe Pepper Potts will show up. :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:07 pm

I liked it a lot. Nice plot-twisty script. I like Coulson more each time I see him, even though his obsession with that car seemed a bit James Bondish to me. I like the supporting cast, though I hope they lighten up on that engineering geek a bit - that schtick can get old real fast. I love the Women Who Kick Ass.

The show reminds me, tonally, quite a bit of a modern, big-budget version of the old British Avengers TV show - that can't possibly be a coincidence, can it? Avengers there, Avengers here, lead guy is a suit-wearing innocuous-seeming dude who's got more under the hood than it looks (and he likes his old car), plus smart kick-ass women, secret agency taking on the weirdness of the world, somewhat tongue-in-cheek attitude ... yeah. It's the same show. If Coulson wears a bowler hat in a future episode, well, that will be too much.

I'll keep watching. It's fun so far.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 pm

I didn't particularly find it that interesting or fun. Some of the characters (or maybe the actors) are just annoying. Coulson and the two scientists are fine, but faux-Angel and faux-Faith are not.

Very cheap feel to it. I doubt it would get so much attention if it weren't a Marvel show.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 pm

total shit.
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am

SooperPooperScooper wrote:total shit.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:57 pm

I can't get over how amazingly stupid this programme is.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I can't get over how amazingly stupid this programme is.

the thing with the inflatable raft was really stupid. There were some other things that were pretty stupid/cliche in the latest ep. I think I'm just a Marvel-phile. I'm still having fun with it. But I'm starting to feel a little dirty about it.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Yesterday's episode sucked. I really hope the writing improves a lot over the next few weeks, otherwise I'm going to drop the series.

What was the point of Nick Fury's cameo at the end? They got Sam Jackson in there just to huff and puff and spout platitudes about "authority"? Really? I thought he'd talk about some new secret threat or mission or something, but he just rants for no good reason. Ugh.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

minstrel wrote:Yesterday's episode sucked. I really hope the writing improves a lot over the next few weeks, otherwise I'm going to drop the series.

What was the point of Nick Fury's cameo at the end? They got Sam Jackson in there just to huff and puff and spout platitudes about "authority"? Really? I thought he'd talk about some new secret threat or mission or something, but he just rants for no good reason. Ugh.

yeah that was pure fluff. And a missed opportunity. Couldn't agree more.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Jim Steranko on 'Agents of SHIELD': Does Anyone Know Where This Show Is Going?
In his THR recap, the comics veteran writes that the show has become "choppy and unsatisfying at best. Irritating at worst."

Jim Steranko wrote:Jim Steranko, one of the creators of the Nick Fury character, recaps Agents of SHIELD for THR's Heat Vision every week. Read more about the Marvel Comics writer-artist in a Q&A here.

I can do everything better in a Brooks Brothers suit!" is the line I wish would have been delivered by Clark Gregg's Coulson in "The Hub," the seventh episode in the ongoing, narcoleptic SHIELD series. Not that it would have articulated the purpose, the intent, the perspective of the show, but at least it may have provided some insight (from a skewed LMD viewpoint) as to why Coulson is no slave to efficiency or logic when he wears a suit into a tropical jungle or a 30-below-zero Siberian tundra. Would you even trust this guy to hold your Pez dispenser?

Note to the ep's writer: Those wise-ass one-liners, put-downs and heckler-stoppers Coulson regaled his captors with in the prologue may work for Fury, but are wildly out of character for SHIELD's No. 2 dramalama. I'll put it this way: As a leader, he may be a sanctimonious skeez, but as a comedian, he's not to be laughed at!

And did anyone notice there was no further development of Centipede and Rising Tide this week? Why? Shouldn't those concepts advance incisively with each new show? And how come no one mentioned the Hub previously? Oops!

As the smoke clears regarding the direction of Agents of SHIELD, it becomes increasingly apparent that the Mission: Impossible matrix (that shaped this and several other eps) works best for the multiple-character show.

So, as we approach the midpoint of season one, does anyone know where SHIELD is going, aside from a multitude of directions that lack conceptual unity? Remember Robert Aldrich's The Dirty Dozen and how well handled the assembly of the team was with their battle assignment, one neatly predicated upon the other? Here, dual agendas often take separate rather than converging paths -- operating alternately with varying degrees of explicitness and compatibility.

Agenda One features the ongoing development of its regulars (at a pace too stunted to win my approval); Agenda Two spotlights the development of the ep's storyline with its accompanying MacGuffin (Overkill, 0-8-4, Virus, etc). The juggling act inevitably works best when the two agendas are dramatically integrated. (I call the technique Converging Plotlines, which has been used successfully for decades by writers from Edgar Rice Burroughs to Tom Clancy to Max Brand.) But the SHIELD handling plays out where one is often at the expense of the other. The result is choppy and unsatisfying at best, downright irritating at worst.

Personally, I feel the series could support the investigation of a mutant, alien, or superpowered entity every segment, although that would require virtuoso-level writing and muscular special effects to keep from appearing insidiously repetitive. However, the concept would link profoundly with its Marvel Universe roots, capitalize on a specialized theme that would keep it squarely in the heroic-action genre, and deliver a weekly origin story, which is often the most compelling aspect of the blockbuster superhero flicks.

The equation isn't as outre as it sounds. Remember, for example, the original Outer Limits, with its monster-of-the-week presentation? Or The X-Files with its metronomic phenomena schedule? See what I mean?

I could live with stiff-upper-lip Coulson and his misfit crew (well, maybe not this crew) turning the SHIELD spotlight on Doctor Doom or Googam, Son of Goom, one week and the Super-Skrull or Fin Fang Foom the next. Of course that would require a little imagination and integrity on a creative level, but aren't those Whedon Family trademarks? Besides, it's positively un-American not to love monsters, even if they're super-monsters! Mega-powered monsters vs. high-tech geeks! (I'll get an advisor credit and a residual check out of these guys yet!)

So, SHIELD, show us whatcha got, ASAP -- and make it as least as compelling as a prosciutto sandwich, so help me Agent Ward!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:54 pm

I actually felt like this started to pick up steam leading into the mid-season finale, and the finale was the strongest ep since the pilot. Still a loooooong way from a good show, but I hope that it could be a good sign.

Hopes:
Keep Mike Peterson on the team. I've enjoyed J August Richards ever since Angel. certainly more interesting than Ward.

maintain a cogent serialized meta plot. Some procedural is ok, but your target audience isn't the law and order crowd. Make it feel like Marvel.

make fitz and simmons slightly less precious all the time. They can be a little precious, and it's fine to use them for comic relief, but the occasional edge would be nice just to make them a little deeper. Each had their own "spotlight" serious episode and neither episode did much to really further or deepen either character. Or kill one.

do NOT extend the Coulson mystery beyond the end of this season. Preferably answer it before the season finale. As it is, I'm starting to stop caring how Cloneson came to be.

This ties into the second point about making it feel like Marvel, but: There are 800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000303030300000001000006 Marvel 3rd tier villains and characters that can be brought in. Don't make it monster of the week, but some fun, true to the comic, occasional uses of these characters would help to deepen the ties to the Marvel U. Referencing Thor from time to time doesn't quite do the job.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I actually felt like this started to pick up steam leading into the mid-season finale, and the finale was the strongest ep since the pilot. Still a loooooong way from a good show, but I hope that it could be a good sign.

Hopes:
Keep Mike Peterson on the team. I've enjoyed J August Richards ever since Angel. certainly more interesting than Ward.

maintain a cogent serialized meta plot. Some procedural is ok, but your target audience isn't the law and order crowd. Make it feel like Marvel.

make fitz and simmons slightly less precious all the time. They can be a little precious, and it's fine to use them for comic relief, but the occasional edge would be nice just to make them a little deeper. Each had their own "spotlight" serious episode and neither episode did much to really further or deepen either character. Or kill one.

do NOT extend the Coulson mystery beyond the end of this season. Preferably answer it before the season finale. As it is, I'm starting to stop caring how Cloneson came to be.

This ties into the second point about making it feel like Marvel, but: There are 800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000303030300000001000006 Marvel 3rd tier villains and characters that can be brought in. Don't make it monster of the week, but some fun, true to the comic, occasional uses of these characters would help to deepen the ties to the Marvel U. Referencing Thor from time to time doesn't quite do the job.

It's still nowhere near as good as Almost Human
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:56 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I actually felt like this started to pick up steam leading into the mid-season finale, and the finale was the strongest ep since the pilot. Still a loooooong way from a good show, but I hope that it could be a good sign.

Hopes:

It's still nowhere near as good as Almost Human

agreed!

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 pm

I watched that last episode, having read about what was in it.

It wasn't bad. I think they should have made more of the scenes with Coulson and flower dress woman (almost like an "Intersections in Real Time" type thing) and of Skye's search for Coulson.

The rest of the stuff on the aircraft still feels a bit lame.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 am

Motion Captured:
Bill Paxton guest stars as 'Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.' returns with an important episode
Week by week, this show is getting weirder, and that makes us happy

Jim Steranko on 'Agents of SHIELD': 'Does Anyone Care What Happens to Skye?'
In his "THR" recap, the comics veteran writes that, with "T.A.H.I.T.I.," "it's a helluva kink when a 30-second 'Winter Soldier' trailer makes you forget a full hour of 'Agents of SHIELD.' "
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Sounds like Agents of SHIELD will be back for a second season. Not sure if anyone cares anymore, but I've actually liked the second half of this season better than the first. It still has a long way to go but I hope that it will learn from mistakes and get a little momentum going for season 2.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm

I've been watching. I like it. It's not quite Must See TV but it's getting there.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 18, 2014 2:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Absorbing Man Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:44 pm

That guy was such a pain in the ass in this game:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Heavy is the Head

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am

'Agents of SHIELD' Stars and Creators Tackle Week 2 Mysteries
[Warning: Spoilers ahead for this week's episode of Agents of SHIELD, "Heavy is the Head."]

Another episode, another mystery (or three).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am

People who still watch this - did the events of Captain America 2 play any role in an episode?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 am

Yes, very much so. I haven't started watching the second season yet, but the last eight-ish episodes of season one were all about the dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the emergence of Hydra moles.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:49 am

Ribbons wrote:...and the emergence of Hydra moles.

I believe there's a cream for that.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 am

No, you need to get it lasered off
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:07 am

they merged the worlds of the tv show and the events of Captain America pretty seamlessly, they are bringing more of the extraordinary aspects of the comic reality into the show as well, better than the first season hands down, but still behind the level of quality that Gotham has shown in its first several episodes

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:32 am

Is Gotham quite good then?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 pm

I think it is very good indeed

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Holy Shit, AGENTS OF SHIELD Got Good In Season Two
The terrible Marvel TV show turned totally around this year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm

It does seem better, but not necessarily "holy shit"-worthy. I've only just dug into season two, on the third episode. One thing that has me concerned is this whole subplot...

...seems very "Rambaldi"-esque. I want to trust that the Mutant Enemy writers know better than to pull that mystery box crap, but we'll see. I can't do another 12 episodes of "OMG, what does this mean!?"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:44 am

no worries about that happening, the story behind the "drawing" are revealed

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Skye's father? Oh wait they already did that one.

I know the mid-season finale divided viewers, but I'm actually pretty intrigued by the direction the show and its characters seem to be taking. Only time will tell if they can keep it up, but I'm looking forward to March or whenever it comes back. I'm assuming that Olmos plays an Inhuman.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 07, 2015 11:42 pm

ABC Renews 'Agents of SHIELD,' 'Agent Carter'
The network solidified its Marvel lineup for the 2015-16 season.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Coaxial