Helix (SyFy's new series)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Helix (SyFy's new series)

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Anyone watching this?

It's EXTREMELY "The Thing"-ish...... but having said that, I'm addictively entertained by it. Herc slammed it so I was expecting to hate it or absolutely love it, but just liked it enough to grab the proverbial popcorn and sit back to enjoy it.

I think at this point an apt comparison would be The Thing meets The X-Files (lots of conspiracy, of course).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Helix (SyFy's new series)

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:19 am

I'm recording it, but have yet to watch an episode.

It does sound incredibly The Thing-ish, and much like the Thing remake in 2011, they kind of suckered me into paying attention to it because Ronald Moore's name is attached, despite the fact that he apparently has very little to do with the actual running of the show. Dammit, Moore, get back to work!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Am watching this show... but cannot warm to it... pun totally intended.

The characters are cold, and the plot progression is like watching ice melt.

These cold puns working for ya?!?

Seriously though... the show does have the 'Thing' thing going for it... with a lilt of 'Lost' mystery thrown in... plus your classic zombie bad guy / 28 days later zest...

But all of these cliches and borrowed ideas leave me wanting.... to watch something else instead!

I'll give it one season - then we'll see.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:40 pm

i feel the same way. i could barely even pay attention to the last episode. i'm trying to hold on at least long enough for 7 of 9 to show up, she might finally represent something on the show worth watching.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 pm

so, jeri ryan finally arrives to this show and immediately this show becomes more interesting and entertaining.

so of course, two episodes later, they kill her off.

i guess i officially no longer have any reason left to watch this show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 pm

I watched the first two episodes last night and can't say I was particularly impressed.

I feel pretty confident saying I have no interest in whatever "transgenomics conspiracy" the Arctic scientists are involved in. There's a good instinct early on to indulge in dark humor, but what that essentially boils down to seems to be "play elevator music during a violent scene every once in a while." Otherwise it's deadly serious and much too derivative of better material. But I plan on watching the whole first season at least, so maybe it improves.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 pm

it does improve.
but not by much.
and the elevator music is really annoying.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Coaxial