Fall TV Preview- 2014

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Fall TV Preview- 2014

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Nerdist just released their fall TV preview. There seem to be an unprecedented number of comic adaptations and other genre fare. Not surprising given the box office totals of recent years, but I wonder if we are hitting a high or low point. Yes there will be quantity. Will there be quality? Only time will tell. But if you're on the major networks....probably not.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/fall-tv-preview-2014-gotham-the-flash-sleepy-hollow-and-much-much-more/

What are you excited for, if anything? Of the new stuff, personally, i'm curious as to whether Gotham will be any good. I wish Constantine were on something other than NBC.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: Fall TV Preview- 2014

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:26 pm

It's hard for me to tell if people are going to get sick of superhero fare and the whole movement will collapse or if, by 2020, every other show and movie will be superheroes forever. Also I'm not sure which scenario I'd prefer.

Out of the new shows, I'm probably most interested in Selfie, based on the two leads. But I don't know if that means that I'll watch it or not.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 am

Glad to see Sleepy Hollow still around. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it someday, I pretty much enjoyed the 2 or 3 episodes that aired here before it suddenly vanished.

That article is horrible by the way, one doesn't alternate between putting the images above and below the text.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am

for the first time in recent memory, i don't think there's a single new show that piques my interest. the closest might be Scorpion or Constantine, but it's unlikely i'll bother with either.

Ribbons wrote:Out of the new shows, I'm probably most interested in Selfie, based on the two leads. But I don't know if that means that I'll watch it or not.

i could never bring myself to watch a show named Selfie. that's even worse than Cougar Town or Shit My Dad Says. havent' tv people learned anything? how much do you want to bet that half the producers on that show don't even know what a "selfie" is, they just think it's some clever title named after some slang term "the kids" are using these days.

Al Shut wrote:Glad to see Sleepy Hollow still around. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it someday, I pretty much enjoyed the 2 or 3 episodes that aired here before it suddenly vanished.

remember when everyone was making fun of this show for its ridiculous premise? it's an ok show, not great, but i'll keep watching.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:15 am

Ribbons wrote:It's hard for me to tell if people are going to get sick of superhero fare and the whole movement will collapse or if, by 2020, every other show and movie will be superheroes forever.

Superheroes are just the dominant form of action hero right now. It went from cowboys to cops to hitmen and now it's superheroes. Trends will change just like they always have. Audiences will always want action movies, they will just take a different form from one era to the next.

Marvel seems to already be trying to stay ahead of the curve (or at least diversify) by moving into space adventure movies and some more mystic stuff with this Dr. Strange fellow.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
Ribbons wrote:It's hard for me to tell if people are going to get sick of superhero fare and the whole movement will collapse or if, by 2020, every other show and movie will be superheroes forever.

Superheroes are just the dominant form of action hero right now. It went from cowboys to cops to hitmen and now it's superheroes. Trends will change just like they always have. Audiences will always want action movies, they will just take a different form from one era to the next.

Marvel seems to already be trying to stay ahead of the curve (or at least diversify) by moving into space adventure movies and some more mystic stuff with this Dr. Strange fellow.

Well said.
But at the same time, each of those heroes are still successful today in various forms. Darwin shall weed out the loser superhero properties and only the fittest shall survive.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:31 am

Ribbons wrote:It's hard for me to tell if people are going to get sick of superhero fare and the whole movement will collapse or if, by 2020, every other show and movie will be superheroes forever. Also I'm not sure which scenario I'd prefer.

if the superhero genre was able to survive Heroes, it's able to survive anything.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm always in the market for a new TV show to follow, but unfortunately I have such a hard time putting any effort into finding one. That sounds weird, but I will literally flip to HGTV to watch Flip That Cardboard Box vs. trying to watch a new show.

Of the list given from that link, two new shows stand out as "maybe": Selfie, but I can't stand that John Cho guy (seems like such a smarmy Struggling Background Artist), and Marry Me, (because I freaking loved Happy Endings).

As far as returning shows, the only one I'm watching at this point is The Walking Dead.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote: how much do you want to bet that half the producers on that show don't even know what a "selfie" is, they just think it's some clever title named after some slang term "the kids" are using these days.

It has something to do with masturbating in front of a mirror, right?

Now excuse me while I will be giving myself a "selfie"
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Al Shut wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: how much do you want to bet that half the producers on that show don't even know what a "selfie" is, they just think it's some clever title named after some slang term "the kids" are using these days.

It has something to do with masturbating in front of a mirror, right?

Now excuse me while I will be giving myself a "selfie"

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Ar3e you suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about? Inconceivable!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:24 am

When the fuck starts GALAVANT, the only new show this year that I really care about for any reason?

Al Shut wrote:Glad to see Sleepy Hollow still around. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it someday, I pretty much enjoyed the 2 or 3 episodes that aired here before it suddenly vanished.

Just like 75% of all TV shows that died on German free TV, it's now on pay TV (It started yesterday on Fox).
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:

This may be true, but the one reason that I see this movement as different is that I don't think superheroes in general are particularly zeitgeist-y (films like The Dark Knight or The Winter Soldier can be), it's just that technology has allowed them to make their stories credible. And reboots/sequels/adaptations have built-in fanbases and at least partially write themselves, as opposed to figuring out whose ass Jason Statham is supposed to kick this time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:31 pm

The answer is simple: JASON VS JASON: STATHAM VS VOORHEES.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 pm

I would actually very much like to watch that
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial