Game of Thrones Season 6

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6

Postby so sorry on Mon May 02, 2016 3:43 pm

TheBaxter wrote:[
btw, i like that Sansa is now finally aware of ALL the remaining surviving Starks. with her heading up to castle black, where the newly resurrected, no-longer-commander-of-the-nights-watch jon snow resides (how does the oath go? "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death"... so i guess "now his watch is ended"), will they team up to get the gang back together and restore the Stark kingdom?

Yeah that kinda got glossed over in the show and in my own head...in the span of one day she found out that 3 of her siblings were NOT dead! That's a pretty damned big deal. Of course she has zero idea where they are, so what she can do with that information is beyond me, or her too.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm

so sorry wrote:
btw, i like that Sansa is now finally aware of ALL the remaining surviving Starks. with her heading up to castle black, where the newly resurrected, no-longer-commander-of-the-nights-watch jon snow resides (how does the oath go? "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death"... so i guess "now his watch is ended"), will they team up to get the gang back together and restore the Stark kingdom?

Yeah that kinda got glossed over in the show and in my own head...in the span of one day she found out that 3 of her siblings were NOT dead! That's a pretty damned big deal. Of course she has zero idea where they are, so what she can do with that information is beyond me, or her too.

i can't remember, did sam tell jon that he saw bran headed north of the wall or did that only happen in the books? because if jon knows bran is alive he could tell sansa and then she'd know where at least one of her brothers was. then she sends brienne off to find him, sends davos off to find rickon (thus realigning the story with the books), and sends... i dunno... the giant or somebody off to find arya.

speaking of the giant... did anyone else think to themselves, "hulk smash" during his big moment in the confrontation with the night's watch? between that and ser robert strong, it was quite a splattery episode.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 am

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

i can't remember, did sam tell jon that he saw bran headed north of the wall or did that only happen in the books? because if jon knows bran is alive he could tell sansa and then she'd know where at least one of her brothers was. then she sends brienne off to find him, sends davos off to find rickon (thus realigning the story with the books), and sends... i dunno... the giant or somebody off to find arya.

speaking of the giant... did anyone else think to themselves, "hulk smash" during his big moment in the confrontation with the night's watch? between that and ser robert strong, it was quite a splattery episode.

Damn, I honestly can't remember if Sam told Jon about Bran, in the books OR on the show! I think he did NOT tell him.

And yes, the head splats from Ser Robert the Strong and from Wun Wun were awesome.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue May 03, 2016 1:20 pm

I don't think Sam told Jon in either format - something that pained him in the books to do/not do.

-So Jon died. His watch ended.
-Remember Tywin's last words to Tyrion? "You're no son of mine!" (that's because he's a Targaryen! Or like Baxter said - A+J = T)
-Is Edd going to be the new Lord Commander? Not important, really, but still something to think about.
-WTF is Theon going to do now? The whole Iron Island story was painfully boring for me in the books. I just didn't care one bit about it. Perhaps the showrunners felt the same way and are adding Theon?
-I just want to see Jaime kill Cersei.....and then the entire Faith Militant, starting with Lancel.
-Where is Kevan Lannister? I don't think the "book met the show" in his case, did it?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 03, 2016 2:07 pm

i think the night's watch is coming to an end. what are they, maybe a few hundred left? ironic, they've been hanging out at the wall for thousands of years, waiting to fulfill their purpose of protecting humanity from the white walkers, and now that the time has arrived to do their jobs, they're in disarray, disintegrating, too weak and divided to carry out their sole reason for existence. they shrink back from one lonely giant, what can they do against thousands of white walkers? i think jon will dissolve the night's watch altogether, seeing how useless they'll be, and gather the wildlings and as many northern clans as possible to fight off the invasion. he won't stop them, but he'll hold them at bay long enough for dany and tyrion to arrive on their dragons to finish them off.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 09, 2016 10:46 am

Tower of Joy. what a cock-tease!
not too impressed with young ned stark. he was laying on the scottish brogue a bit thick. didn't have the Punky Power of Bean, too bad they couldn't bring Bean back to play that role. i guess the CGI cost to make him look in his 20s was too high.
now that Jon Snow's watch has ended, he's a much more interesting character. what will he do now? the possibilities are endless.
glad to see Ollie get what was coming to him. what a gentleman! laid it on a bit thick with his final "words" though, the sneering and undying hatred was a bit much. i think a young kid about to be hanged would probably be pissing his pants, even moreso if the guy you just stabbed in the heart was standing right in front of you before it happened. overall, i thought the reaction especially of the traitors was a bit underwhelming, you'd think after a guy you killed came back to life, it would give you second thoughts about whether you did the right thing or not. i guess people coming back from the dead is common enough in westeros that it didn't phase them too much.
bran isn't the only stark who's gotten a lot older. i still think the umbers and maybe the karstarks have a plot against the boltons, and rickon is probably part of it or in on it. that dire wolf head looked a bit small, coulda been just a regular wolf. or maybe they took Grey Wind's head off Robb Stark's body and have been keeping it on ice til now.
man does it suck when you take your special lady on a luxury cruise, only to get sick and spend the whole trip upchucking into a bucket!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon May 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Zombie Clegane: I thought it was pretty damned abrupt that all of a sudden everyone knows that Ser Robert Strong is in fact Gregor Clegane?

Varys: I could be totally wrong, but I thought his "little sparrows" were mutes or had their tongues out (so only HE could communicate with them). Having them simply be little douchy street urchins who want candy seems to make them less menacing. Varys knew just about everything no matter how hard you tried to keep it a secret. I assume that the little birds were behind the walls in secret passages, always listening, always reporting. Loved Varys' interrogation of the hooker. Although I was kinda hoping after he got the info out of her (the nice way), an Unsullied would have put a spear up her ass anyway.

Tower if Joy was such a dick tease! Really good sword fight, and I'm super glad they didn't fuck it up (like the Sandsnakes fight from last season for example). This is such a pivotal moment in Westeros, and one shrouded in such mystery. So glad they nailed it. I hope when the DVDs come out next year that there is an extended scene for this…they didn't mention any of the other participants other than Howland Reed. And P.S. I thought the young Sean Bean was pretty damn good. Now get in that tower and help your sister, she's in labor dammit!

Umber: Mother fucking Umbar traitor. I'm shocked by this one…the Greatjon/Smalljon/Umbers were fiercely loyal to the Starks. Maybe like you said Bax, its all a super deep double cross against the Boltons. The only problem with that scenario is that Ramsey SHOULD just kill Rickon on the spot. Rickon is the ultimate problem for Ramsey's legitimacy as Warden of the North. Having Rickon as a hostage is no good. If the North finds out he's alive, he will immediately be proclaimed the heir to Winterfell etc. So if the Umbars/Rickon are playing a long con, they are basically relying on Ramsey not being Ramsey. I guess if Rickon gets thrown in a cell, he's "safe" for the time being? So confused. And poor Shaggydog.

Arya: so its been a long time (show wise) that she's uttered her Death List, but suddenly its really short, and Walder Frey is on it now! I wish like hell they would have worked her warging into the cat into the show. That's how she got her eyesight back, by tricking her master.

Tangent: I've always been intrigued by the Arya story and becoming a Faceless Man. All her training is about leaving her past behind and becoming "no one". On the show, she's literally being beaten into this mindset. Its what makes the House of Black and White so damn neutral….you kill with no malice or pleasure or sorrow. BUT…Arya is still Arya inside, despite what she's saying on the outside. She still has Needle hidden. She still thinks about her List. In the excerpt chapter from Winds of Winter, Arya assumes an alias in order to kill Raff the Sweetling (which they sort of replaced on the show when she killed what's his name at the end of last season). Bookwise, this killing happens AFTER she's lost and regained her sight. So she's not really "no one", she still Arya, and she's still got a vendetta, and she now has a particular set of skills to go with it.

Snow: fuck Olly.

Mellisendre: I thought her reaction to finding out she resurrected the savior of the world (by her beliefs) was a bit underrated. I mean she had that "holy fuck!" face going, but other than that…a little too quiet for someone who just realized she has (in her mind) found the true savior of the world.

Littlefinger: I had to rewind the coming attractions scene to figure out who he was talking to. That's Lord Robert, so it looks like the knights of the Vale will be on the march. Perhaps they will come to the aid of Snow and the Wildings against the Bolton army?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am

so sorry wrote:Mellisendre: I thought her reaction to finding out she resurrected the savior of the world (by her beliefs) was a bit underrated. I mean she had that "holy fuck!" face going, but other than that…a little too quiet for someone who just realized she has (in her mind) found the true savior of the world.

She was a bit underwhelmed, wasn't she.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue May 10, 2016 9:23 am

Maui wrote:
so sorry wrote:Mellisendre: I thought her reaction to finding out she resurrected the savior of the world (by her beliefs) was a bit underrated. I mean she had that "holy fuck!" face going, but other than that…a little too quiet for someone who just realized she has (in her mind) found the true savior of the world.

She was a bit underwhelmed, wasn't she.

I bought it. I mean, think about it - she's still recently arrived from Camp Stannis, where she performed the most horrible of sacrifices to appease her god. The sacrifice failed. Stannis, her champion, failed. Everything she thought to be true was shown to be false. To me, it seemed that she performed Jon's resurrection as a courtesy, more than a true-hearted attempt. She said she didn't have the skills. And then....it worked. Now her mind has to be spinning out of control....revisiting all of the prophecies....mentally inserting Jon Snow where she had previously held Stannis....trying to figure out what is true anymore.

I fully expect this part of the book to have a ton of inner-dialogue, assuming it happens the same way. And that should help flesh out the scene (and her response).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 10, 2016 12:07 pm

the more i think about the whole Rickon thing, the more i think it's a subterfuge to get at the Boltons. i think there will be a bit of a theme to this season, and i think that theme will be that this is the season where the Stark kids finally start #WINNING.

the previous season have all been leading the stark kids to worse and worse circumstances. last season was as low as it got: Sansa ended up as Ramsay's sex slave, Rickon was missing, Arya was blind, and Jon was killt. the 2 stark kids not part of last season were left out because they had already bottomed out in previous seasons (Bran crippled and running away North of the wall; Robb dead). by the end of last season, each one had already hit bottom.

but now they're making a comeback. we've already started seeing glimpses of it. Sansa escaped Ramsey, swore in her first Knight, and all indications are that she will be taking on a stronger leadership role this season. Bran is learning to fly and seeing glimpses of his past that will make him more powerful. arya got her sight back. and jon got unkillt. robb's still dead though.
so that leaves rickon. if the theme holds, then his capture by the boltons can't be what it seems. the starks rule the north, and the eldest living Stark boy is the rightful King of the North. Robb's dead. Jon's a bastard. Bran is a cripple who's missing and reasonably presumed dead. so that leaves Rickon. the way i see it, the northern families are way too loyal to the starks to hand over the rightful heir to the throne to a bastard whose father killed the last rightful heir to the throne. maybe the Karstarks would, but it was the Umbers who brought Rickon back. i just don't buy it. as Admiral Akbar would say, "it's a trap!" that dog head wasn't Shaggydog, it was Grey Wind maybe, or some wolf or dog head doctored up to look like a dire wolf. the real Shaggydog is hanging out back with the rest of the Umber and northern armies. Rickon is their Trojan horse, once he's taken inside Winterfell, he'll be able to scope out the defenses, figure out where Ramsay is staying, where the troops are, how many there are, etc. and then he'll warg himself back into Shaggydog and lead the northern armies to retake Winterfell. Rickon may be (as far as they know) the rightful King in the North, but he still has to prove himself to win their loyalty and show them he's king material, and by risking his life, giving himself up to the Boltons and then leading the recapture of Winterfell, he'll prove it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 10, 2016 1:40 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the more i think about the whole Rickon thing, the more i think it's a subterfuge to get at the Boltons. i think there will be a bit of a theme to this season, and i think that theme will be that this is the season where the Stark kids finally start #WINNING.

the previous season have all been leading the stark kids to worse and worse circumstances. last season was as low as it got: Sansa ended up as Ramsay's sex slave, Rickon was missing, Arya was blind, and Jon was killt. the 2 stark kids not part of last season were left out because they had already bottomed out in previous seasons (Bran crippled and running away North of the wall; Robb dead). by the end of last season, each one had already hit bottom.

but now they're making a comeback. we've already started seeing glimpses of it. Sansa escaped Ramsey, swore in her first Knight, and all indications are that she will be taking on a stronger leadership role this season. Bran is learning to fly and seeing glimpses of his past that will make him more powerful. arya got her sight back. and jon got unkillt. robb's still dead though.
so that leaves rickon. if the theme holds, then his capture by the boltons can't be what it seems. the starks rule the north, and the eldest living Stark boy is the rightful King of the North. Robb's dead. Jon's a bastard. Bran is a cripple who's missing and reasonably presumed dead. so that leaves Rickon. the way i see it, the northern families are way too loyal to the starks to hand over the rightful heir to the throne to a bastard whose father killed the last rightful heir to the throne. maybe the Karstarks would, but it was the Umbers who brought Rickon back. i just don't buy it. as Admiral Akbar would say, "it's a trap!" that dog head wasn't Shaggydog, it was Grey Wind maybe, or some wolf or dog head doctored up to look like a dire wolf. the real Shaggydog is hanging out back with the rest of the Umber and northern armies. Rickon is their Trojan horse, once he's taken inside Winterfell, he'll be able to scope out the defenses, figure out where Ramsay is staying, where the troops are, how many there are, etc. and then he'll warg himself back into Shaggydog and lead the northern armies to retake Winterfell. Rickon may be (as far as they know) the rightful King in the North, but he still has to prove himself to win their loyalty and show them he's king material, and by risking his life, giving himself up to the Boltons and then leading the recapture of Winterfell, he'll prove it.

Well like i said, if Rickon is indeed a mole, they are talking a MASSIVE risk that Ramsey doesn't just flay him and throw him to his dogs sooner rather than later. He killed his own infant half brother immediately because he was a threat to his legitimacy, why would he keep Rickon alive? Mind you, I WANT Rickon to stay alive.
...and then there's the tease from the season trailer, that shows a glimpse of the coming Bolton/Wildlings battle, and there are TWO Bolton upside down crucifixes burning.... :P :P
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 15, 2016 11:02 pm

it was a touching moment, seeing sansa reunited with her half-brother *cough*cousin!*cough*.

another great dany scene, showing she's still the boss. of all the ways for her to get out of that situation, the "carrie" method hadn't occurred to me. i couldn't help wondering, during those final shots, though, if she wasn't getting the "cersei walk of shame" treatment. between emilia clarke's reluctance to do nudity post-season 1, and the body double switcheroo they pulled with cersei, i just can't trust boobies on this show anymore.

ETA:
apparently, the boobies are real.
well, that's a relief.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 16, 2016 2:25 pm

oh yeah, and can we finally now lay to rest the idea that stannis is somehow still alive?
unless you're calling brienne a liar now.

the weakest scenes of the show (no surprise here) are the meerreen scenes. besides tyrion's takeover of the city being far-fetched, his negotiating tactics felt like a westerosi "build the wall and make them pay for it" level of ridiculousness. the other cities get 7 years to end slavery... or else, what? dany's gone, she couldn't even keep control of meereen herself with the unsullied and her dragons when she was there, so what threat did they pose to the other slave cities? so they're just going to voluntarily agree to phase out slavery, when they're the ones who have the upper hand and they aren't even getting anything in return? even donald trump would've been like, "hey guys, this is a bit hard to believe."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm

That was my favorite episode in a long time, possibly of the series.
Expectations were met and shattered in this episode.

Things I liked:
-Jon and Sansa. Man - I thought Brienne meeting up with Sansa was an emotional scene. After all this time, Stark children are finally meeting up!
-Brienne and Tormund - Ha! Mr. Giantsbane is in looooooooooove!! I hope that works out well.
-Danerys once again dropping the mic......and her clothes.

Things I didn't:
-Osha. Hi, welcome back to the series! Here's two or three lines....annnnnnnnd you're dead. WTF?!?
-Robyn - always hated him, still do.

I swear I had more thoughts than just this last night. I'll be rewatching this episode tonight or tomorrow. The wife was gone last night and I cheated by watching without her! So I'll watch it again and hopefully have more to add.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon May 16, 2016 4:49 pm

What exactly was Jon's plan before Sansa showed up? He was just going to go south of the wall by himself, just meandering along? Any northerner worth his salt would cut his head off as a deserter of the Night's Watch. "Oh sure buddy, you got stabbed to death but came back to life a few days later. What's that, the Others are real and marching towards me? Sure thing, you got any grumpkins in your napsack?"

Things are definitely being rushed now I think, but I'm OK with it. I think by the end of this season Dany and her Horde will be on Ironborn ships headed back to Westeros. I'm going to guess that she leaves the Unsullied in Mereen to keep the peace with the Slaver's Bay cities (not sure who she would leave in charge though, it couldn't be greywind and missendre). Loved her inevitable burning of the temple. I thought for SURE that drogon was going be seen in the final frame before they cut to the credits. I'm really not sure why the Dothraki would worship/follow her at this point? Shit, if a woman came out of a burning building unscathed, she'd be strung up on a tree and hanged as a witch in the middle ages, certainly not praised! But whatevs, I can live with it. And the less we talk about the fire safety of that building the better....

I was hoping Littlefinger would have grown a dastardly mustache so he could twirl it as he bent the Eyrie around his little pinkie. But glad to see them FINALLY GET OFF THEIR ASSES and join the battle. Looks to me like the set up will be Boltons vs. Wildlings, with the Botlons starting to get the upper hand, then in swoops the Knights of the Vale to the rescue.

BUT Ramsey escapes! He gets back to Winterfell, intent on at least finishing off Rickon with his nasty pack of dogs. Only to find that Rickon can warg into one of his dogs, and he chews the fuck out of Ramsey's face. This Fan Fiction brought to you by io9/Gizmodo (but I liked it, so I thought I'd share). Poor Osha, gone so long, gone too soon (part of the "rushed" stuff I'm talking about).

Tormund and Brianne will be fun to watch. He's going to get a raging boner when he sees her in battle!

Cersei and the Tyrells working together? Yeah, this is going to end well....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 pm

it occurred to me while watching this last episode that Cersei and Jamie are going to share their death scene when it comes, as I am becoming more and more certain they are a doomed pair.

are we ever going to find out what happened to Gendry????

I am still waiting for the explanation of that dragon scale disease Jorah has since I am convinced there is some big secret about its origins that is a part of the story/plot somehow.

trouble ahead for Tyrian I am afraid

he who once was The Mountain is going to be the one who kills Tommen...gut feeling

I don't see how Dorn gets worked back into things. nothing to draw them into a fight or alliance with Westeros right now and no reason for anyone to go there that I can see.

Sansa did a great job channeling Catherine Stark in this last episode, her character has grown as much if not more than any other and the way they show her coming into her own is pretty well done, imo

as soon as Tonks walked in the room I knew she was dead...and most likely a few million other fans did, too

Arya is going to be the one who wacks Littlefinger...another gut feeling

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 am

Peven wrote:I don't see how Dorn gets worked back into things. nothing to draw them into a fight or alliance with Westeros right now and no reason for anyone to go there that I can see.

you mean, other than that one little detail that oberyn's girlfriend killed myrcella to start a war to get vengeance against the lannisters, and that cersei and jaime are both determined to pay it back with a little vengeance of their own, but are temporarily distracted with that whole sparrow business? once the sparrows have been dealt with, i think we'll be seeing a lannister army marching south, just the way oberyn's ex wants it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:I don't see how Dorn gets worked back into things. nothing to draw them into a fight or alliance with Westeros right now and no reason for anyone to go there that I can see.

you mean, other than that one little detail that oberyn's girlfriend killed myrcella to start a war to get vengeance against the lannisters, and that cersei and jaime are both determined to pay it back with a little vengeance of their own, but are temporarily distracted with that whole sparrow business? once the sparrows have been dealt with, i think we'll be seeing a lannister army marching south, just the way oberyn's ex wants it.

Well they won't be marching south IF there is a Stark back in Winterfell...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 11:53 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

to fight for who? the boltons? roose bolton already said, before he got killt, that they were on their own now that tywin was dead, and couldn't count on lannister support. and it's a tougher slog for the lannister army to go north than it is to go south, and the lannisters know it. they already tried and failed, and had to resort to the red wedding to bring the north under their control, because they knew they couldn't defeat them militarily. on the other hand, they are now allying themselves with the tyrells, even agreeing to basically hand king's landing over to them. it's a short march through friendly tyrell territory to get to Dorne. besides, i think the lannister armies will already be well on their way to Dorne before they find out Sansa is alive and well and, presumably, back in charge of Winterfell. which, conveniently, opens up a nice easy path for the Northern armies all the way to King's Landing. and lady olenna (who is the one who REALLY killed joffrey, remember) has a fondness for Sansa, so then you've got Stark and Tyrell armies and the Vale all together in King's Landing, making friends, while the Lannister armies are trapped down in Dorne. i think Peven may be right, Jaime and Cersei are going out together, and they'll probably be sweating in the desert when they do.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 17, 2016 12:26 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

to fight for who? the boltons? roose bolton already said, before he got killt, that they were on their own now that tywin was dead, and couldn't count on lannister support. and it's a tougher slog for the lannister army to go north than it is to go south, and the lannisters know it. they already tried and failed, and had to resort to the red wedding to bring the north under their control, because they knew they couldn't defeat them militarily. on the other hand, they are now allying themselves with the tyrells, even agreeing to basically hand king's landing over to them. it's a short march through friendly tyrell territory to get to Dorne. besides, i think the lannister armies will already be well on their way to Dorne before they find out Sansa is alive and well and, presumably, back in charge of Winterfell. which, conveniently, opens up a nice easy path for the Northern armies all the way to King's Landing. and lady olenna (who is the one who REALLY killed joffrey, remember) has a fondness for Sansa, so then you've got Stark and Tyrell armies and the Vale all together in King's Landing, making friends, while the Lannister armies are trapped down in Dorne. i think Peven may be right, Jaime and Cersei are going out together, and they'll probably be sweating in the desert when they do.

Interesting take on the situation. My point was that if/when the Starks are back in control of the North, the Lannisters will immediately see them as a threat, considering the ridiculous amount of bad blood between the two houses. So if they march south, they open up Casterly Rock/Kings landing to a stark invasion. If they move North, they open themselves up to a Dorne invasion. The key is the Tyrells, and which side they will choose. Olenna Tyrell only had a fondness for Sansa for strategic reasons, which she still may be able to exploit. Very complicated, since her granddaughter is Queen, and married to a Lannister. Of course, we see what that means to her (killing Joff), so...

And it may be moot anyway, as the REAL war will be coming from the North.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue May 17, 2016 4:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i don't know, yeah, there is a revenge thing, but remember how much Dorn was built up as being really tough and good at fighting...with everyone else at stake I just don't see them being THAT dumb about how to manage their resources pursuing nothing more than revenge. the risk/reward ratio is way off, imo

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue May 17, 2016 4:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

the situation with the sparrows is overwhelming for Cersei and jaime right now, I don't think they are focused at all on Dorne, basic Maslow's pyramid theory. invading Dorne for revenge is a luxury at this point, it would be the level of self-actualization, at the top of the pyramid, for Cersei and Jaimie when at the moment they are just trying to solidify the bottom levels of Maslow's pyramid in staving off the threat to their very existence from the sparrows, and as everyone who knows who Maslow is knows...you need to satisfy the bottom levels of the pyramid before you can satisfy the upper levels. Only after the situation with the sparrows is resolved can Cersei and Jaimie look to pursue personal satisfaction. also, by the time they resolve the problem with the sparrows they will definitely know the situation in the North and maybe even become aware of Dany's re-ascension as Khaleesi and the imminent threat she poses. their plate is going to be full

Now, I guess I can see some sort of conflict down the line between the Lannisters and those who were loyal to Oberyn, because writers like irony and symmetry, which means that there is unfinished business between he who was once The Mountain and the Sand Snakes and Ellaria. It would be fitting if the three of them killed the shit who killed their father, though by the rules of storytelling I think Ellaria has to die as well, somehow. maybe the former Mountain kills her? not so sure on that one. we should have a contest and have everyone submit a list of who they think will still be alive at the end of the series. I think it is going to be a pretty short list....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 pm

the sparrows situation will be resolved in short order. cersei's trial is coming up in a matter of days, and so is margaery's walk of shame. hence the sudden decision (and not the smartest, i might add) by cersei/jaime to allow the tyrell army to basically take over king's landing, because there's no time to waste. my guess is cersei's trial by combat, with Zombie Mountain as her champion, will set the stage for that battle. the Mountain will kill whatever champion fights for the High Sparrow, then he'll crush the High Sparrow himself, and then the Tyrell army will kill the rest of the sparrows. after that, it's off to Dorne. it will take a lot longer than that for Starks to retake Winterfell. and Dany's been around for years now in Essos and nobody's been too bothered by it, no reason that will change any time soon, besides Dany has unfinished business to take care of in Slaver's Bay before setting off for Westeros.

and you give both cersei and jaime way too much credit. both have shown plenty of recklessness and short-term thinking over long-term strategy. kevan lannister basically wrested the high council from cersei for that very reason. after tywin's death, kevan was the only thing standing between cersei and a whole host of dumb decisions driven by her need for vengeance. and even then, she still managed to screw up by conspiring to aid the sparrows and use them against margaery, a plot which backfired spectacularly. it's been well-established that cersei is obsessively driven by her need to protect her children (again, ironically, usually in ways that backfire) and seek vengeance on her enemies, real or perceived. and jaime is basically driven by his need to please his sister, and she's so adept at manipulating him, even when his better sense tells him otherwise, he falls for her tricks. between that, and having his daughter die in his arms only moments after finally acknowledging him as her father, he's also driven by his passions rather than any kind of logic or long-term strategic planning.

we've got 3 seasons left including this season. even though this show has a tedious ability to keep delaying the inevitable (see: Dany's endless tour of Essos), the end is finally coming into sight. i expect the Sparrow issue to be resolved in the next 1-2 episodes (they don't make that tyrell alliance, only to wait til the end of the season for it to actually happen), and the 2nd half of the season will feature 1) Lannister army marching on Dorne, 2) Stark army forming in the north, with the battle with the Boltons sometime in the last couple episodes, well after the Lannister army is well on their way out of King's Landing, and 3) final episode ending with Dany finally setting sail across the sea. Next season will resolve a lot of these alliances, with Starks and Tyrell's allying against and finally defeating Lannisters and consolidating power, while Dany and her Dothraki/Unsullied/Merc army slog across Westeros trying to rally support to her claim, probably ending with Starks vs. Targaryen faceoff, before final season features Starks and Dany realizing the true threat from the North, and uniting to defeat the White Walker invasion which is what this entire series has always been leading up to, the clash of ice and fire.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the sparrows situation will be resolved in short order. cersei's trial is coming up in a matter of days, and so is margaery's walk of shame. hence the sudden decision (and not the smartest, i might add) by cersei/jaime to allow the tyrell army to basically take over king's landing, because there's no time to waste. my guess is cersei's trial by combat, with Zombie Mountain as her champion, will set the stage for that battle. the Mountain will kill whatever champion fights for the High Sparrow, then he'll crush the High Sparrow himself, and then the Tyrell army will kill the rest of the sparrows.

But what about The Hound????? Its totally set up for him to return to kill his brother. Perhaps they take each other out.
Regarding Margery, I think its going to be her own cunning that gets her out of the sparrow's grasp without bloodshed. Last episode, she gave me that impression when she talked to Loras (basically, tell them what they want to hear until we get the fuck out of here). Maybe during the standoff that we've seen hints to, she leaves on her own accord, all pious and shit (shave her head???), then when she gets back to safety, turns into a vengeful bitch.

TheBaxter wrote:and you give both cersei and jaime way too much credit. both have shown plenty of recklessness and short-term thinking over long-term strategy. kevan lannister basically wrested the high council from cersei for that very reason. after tywin's death, kevan was the only thing standing between cersei and a whole host of dumb decisions driven by her need for vengeance. and even then, she still managed to screw up by conspiring to aid the sparrows and use them against margaery, a plot which backfired spectacularly. it's been well-established that cersei is obsessively driven by her need to protect her children (again, ironically, usually in ways that backfire) and seek vengeance on her enemies, real or perceived. and jaime is basically driven by his need to please his sister, and she's so adept at manipulating him, even when his better sense tells him otherwise, he falls for her tricks. between that, and having his daughter die in his arms only moments after finally acknowledging him as her father, he's also driven by his passions rather than any kind of logic or long-term strategic planning.

This past season has gone thru great lengths to make Cersei and Jaime more relateable and likeable. Or rather, less hateful. Book wise, Jaime has definitely gone thru some soul-searching changes. Cersei...not even close. But on the show, they are both being treated softer. Now their "revenge" plots seem like good guys getting back and bad guys (i.e. Dorne, those kid and kin slaying dickweeds).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 18, 2016 4:05 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the sparrows situation will be resolved in short order. cersei's trial is coming up in a matter of days, and so is margaery's walk of shame. hence the sudden decision (and not the smartest, i might add) by cersei/jaime to allow the tyrell army to basically take over king's landing, because there's no time to waste. my guess is cersei's trial by combat, with Zombie Mountain as her champion, will set the stage for that battle. the Mountain will kill whatever champion fights for the High Sparrow, then he'll crush the High Sparrow himself, and then the Tyrell army will kill the rest of the sparrows.

But what about The Hound????? Its totally set up for him to return to kill his brother.

you're right, it is.... in the books. however, that's a possible plot line that seems to have been abandoned for the show, sorta like lady stoneheart. i guess they figured one... ok, two, characters coming back from the dead was enough for the tv show. if he did come back to fight the mountain, it would feel like a WTF out of left field return, since it hasn't been set up at all in the show. although, his name did come up in arya's storyline, so maybe...
i don't think it would change the ultimate outcome of that conflict though, i.e. the defeat of the sparrows and the tyrell army taking control of king's landing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun May 22, 2016 10:23 pm

fuck Bran, fuck him right up his self-absorbed, paralyzed spoiled ass :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Sun May 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Brutal. Fucking BRUTAL. I don't even know where to start...Summer...Hodor...FUUUUUICK.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon May 23, 2016 8:18 am

That hurt. Biggest emotional reaction to a TV show from me in a long time.
Damn allergies.
I can't wait to see that in the books.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 23, 2016 10:32 am

the next time i'm in an elevator and someone yells to "Hold the door!" i may just break out in tears.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon May 23, 2016 1:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the next time i'm in an elevator and someone yells to "Hold the door!" i may just break out in tears.

I think that people will not start saying "hodor" instead of "hold the door"
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 23, 2016 1:50 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the next time i'm in an elevator and someone yells to "Hold the door!" i may just break out in tears.

they might if they're chewing gum while they say it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

they might if they're chewing gum while they say it.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I meant to say they WOULD start saying it like "Hodor"....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 23, 2016 4:20 pm

i thought the ending had a resonance with the scene with the other Red Lady in Meereen. it seemed to exemplify the "everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason" story she told varys. you could add "when they are" to that list when referring to bran. just like varys, hodor had something terrible happen to him, which led him to become what he is, which is what he needed to be in order to save bran in that final scene. the fact that bran inadvertently caused it to happen just adds to it. on the one hand, he went rogue and warged by himself and got himself touched by the night's king which put them all at risk, and on the other hand, he saved himself at hodor's expense by influencing the past. that circular causation has a purposeful feel to it. the idea of fate has an odd place on this show, it seems like things do occasionally work out the way they're supposed to, but in a roundabout way. like how dany ended up back with the dothraki but now they are her army, just like viserys had planned on making them his army in season 1. how jon snow is poised to become a true stark through that convenient little loophole of dying, allowing him to leave the night's watch without violating his vows. and how, despite what jaime thinks ("fuck fate"), cersei's prophesy does seem to come true.

of course, this is fiction, so there really is a form of "fate" at work, because it's a story with an author, in this case GRRM (and Weiss/Benioff on the show) who are guiding the story in a predestined direction. stuff in stories has to happen "for a reason" so fate is kinda baked into the deal from the beginning.

i'm inclined to be somewhat forgiving of bran, he's still just a dumb, stubborn teenager who doesn't know any better and ended up getting just about all his friends killed for it. like they say, curiosity killed the dire wolf. but at the same time, the hand of fate is probably playing a role there, and i'm not entirely sure the 3-eyed raven wasn't aware of his solo trip and what it would ultimately bring about. after all, greensight is supposed to show the future as well as the past, and as the most powerful greenseer, he probably had an idea of what was coming, and that it was necessary for bran to fulfill his destiny. so he pulled an obi-wan and let himself get killt, knowing it would allow bran to take his place as fate demanded.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon May 23, 2016 4:39 pm

fuck Bran

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon May 23, 2016 4:56 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 23, 2016 5:25 pm

so sorry wrote:Image

Tormund wrote:fuck Brienne
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon May 23, 2016 5:43 pm

that was probably the best shot of last night's show. literally laughed out loud

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm

they have so much in common. Brienne fought a bear. Tormund fucked a bear. they're made for each other.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon May 23, 2016 7:30 pm

the bear didn't resist as much as much as Brienne will..... :shock:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon May 23, 2016 7:30 pm

I mean, come on, that was one whore of a bear

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue May 24, 2016 9:58 am

So the Ironbord subplot continues to disappoint me. Its almost like its a totally different show on the SciFi channel that's trying to be like GoT, but keeps coming up short on story and acting. That kingsmoot was laughably goofy. It was like watching a Clinton v. Trump debate. "Vote for me arrgh, and I'll be gettin' ya universal healthcare and reaving and raping!" "Bah, don't listen to that slag gentleman, all she'll do is let the illegal wildling immigrants in to steal your saltwives and all your jobs arghhhhhh!" Euron is so fucking dumb...and apparently the Ironborn are dumber. "So yeah, I totally killed your king and my brother, but fuck it he was just sitting on his ass doing nothing!" Even a backwater society like the Ironborn do follow some semblance of rules, and KIN and KING slaying have to be looked down upon, no? Bookwise at least its just implied that he had something to do with Balon's death, but its never confirmed. And why the FUCK would anyone listen to Theon? He's literally a broken man with no balls who lost all the Ironborn footholds in the North. He's a joke in the eyes of the hardass Ironborn. Shit, I can't believe he wouldn't be killed on sight when he returned to the Iron Islands, let alone listen to him give a stupid speech about why his sister should lead their people. And last but ridiculously not least, somehow Yara and Theon can convince the entire Ironborn fleet to rebel and leave???? And Euron's reaction was simply: HEY EVERYONE, GO BUILD ME A THOUSAND SHIPS REAL QUICK PLEASE! Fuck, its so bad....

While I'm bitching, I really REALLY hope that time travel voodoo doesn't play a huge part in the resolution of the entire series. The murkyness of trying to work time travel is so tough, and leads to 2 million questions and loopholes and whatnot that it always sours me in the end.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

so sorry wrote:Image

They say everyone has a love match.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 pm

I felt the same way about the Ironborn in the books, too. There's already so much going on and then this (seemingly?) inconsequential tribe creates their own drama that completely distracts the reader (now the viewer) from the main stories.
They have no weight in this world. They are small in number. They hold no power to speak of. They don't even have a supernatural aspect helping them in their plight. The only thing about them that intrigues me is how they will be written into prominence within the overall story....because really, they've got nothing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue May 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Fievel wrote:...They don't even have a supernatural aspect helping them in their plight...

Euron supposedly has that horn that can control dragons, right? Most likely another dead end in the books, but its something!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:...They don't even have a supernatural aspect helping them in their plight...

Euron supposedly has that horn that can control dragons, right? Most likely another dead end in the books, but its something!

I honestly don't remember that.....sad to say. I've gone through the books twice and to be honest, when all the Kingsmoot stuff starts I'm already sick of that story so anytime someone from the Iron Island speaks, I end up shouting out loud "JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! FUCKING SHUT YOUR STUPID FUCKING MOUTH AND GO AWAY AND DIE!!!!!!!!" So I'm willing to concede that I may have missed something along the way.
------------------

So, with Riverrun coming back into the picture....and Brienne heading that way...... what are the chances that she comes across Lady Stoneheart? If that character means anything to the overall story, that would be when they would show up. Also a fine time for her to bump intothe Elder Brother and the Gravedigger.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 pm

so sorry wrote:

see you book readers are gonna drive yourself crazy with this shit. we've forked off the book path so far, it's pointless to compare the two. i mean, in the books Dany can burn, in the show she can't. in the books mance is alive, in the show he ain't. in the show ramsay marries sansa, in the book he marries "arya." it's all different. that's why i've given up on reading the books til the show is finished, it's all gonna be Dark Tower'd by then. at best the next book might be finished before next season, but it's gonna be a mindfuck trying to keep the differences between the two straight at that point. i'll stick with the show for now, since they can maintain a schedule, and start over on the books when the show is finished up.

i remember the horn you're talking about, it played a big part in the kingsmoot, but i got it confused with the horn of eld or horn of winter or whatever the fuck that's supposed to be able to bring down the wall that the wildlings were looking for. i don't think either horn has played a part in the show. and let's not even get started on dorne. i don't mind the ironborn stuff cuz i'm a sucker for pirates and shit, but dorne blew hard in the books, and the show somehow managed to make it even worse.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i remember the horn you're talking about, it played a big part in the kingsmoot, but i got it confused with the horn of eld or horn of winter or whatever the fuck that's supposed to be able to bring down the wall that the wildlings were looking for. i don't think either horn has played a part in the show. and let's not even get started on dorne. i don't mind the ironborn stuff cuz i'm a sucker for pirates and shit, but dorne blew hard in the books, and the show somehow managed to make it even worse.

I could care less about the horn (s), I was just pointing out something of a mythical nature that had to do with the Irondumb that Fievel had forgotten. And for what its worth Fievel, it was a monstorous horn (in my mind's eye it was like a badass Riccola-commerical horn) that a huge summer islander with crazy tats blew. And when he blew it, his tats light up light fire or something badass like that then he died (I think he was cooked from the inside out).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 am

Regarding the Tarley family dinner....

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 31, 2016 11:04 am

damn, they took a really roundabout way to get jaime to the same place he ends up at in the books.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 pm

'Walking Dead' creator Robert Kirkman thinks George R.R. Martin "Blew It" by spoiling his own books:

http://www.goliath.com/tv/walking-dead-creator-thinks-game-of-thrones-author-blew-it-by-spoiling-his-own-books/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial