Shtar Trek: DISCHCOVERY (New Star Trek, 2017)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Shtar Trek: DISCHCOVERY (New Star Trek, 2017)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 am

Midnight's Edge Jul 29, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery: To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer’s New Series?

Midnight's Edge May 25, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery: A Reboot, and The Axanar Connection

Midnight's Edge Mar 2, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery in Trouble? Rumor Rundown
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm

They had to cut the budget a little:

"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 am

Apparently CBS aren't that impressed with the lukewarm response that Discovery has been getting from everyone. So it may be cut down to a mini-series type run rather than an ongoing thing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Star Trek Discovery (***SPOILERS***)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:01 am

YouTube Sep 27, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery Pilot Review and Roundtable Discussion
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 am

It wasn't bad. It did feel a bit flat in story terms, considering Bryan Fuller is the showrunner.

I'm still not sure who is the target audience. In some ways it feels like they made it to intentionally wind up certain groups of Trekkies.

It looked really good.

It will be interesting to see where it goes from this "prologue", as it appears the next episodes have a completely different premise.

It will be interesting to see if US audiences will be able to cope with further lengthy subtitled sections with aliens.

I'm still not sure why she's called Michael.

Daft Punk alien.

I think it would've been better to set it in the far future.

Fun fact: This is meant to be happening around the same time that Captain Pike encounters the big brained Talosians.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:46 pm

the first episode was alright. hadnt been paying much attention to the lead up to this, so i was never sure exactly when this was supposed to be taking place. before the ST films, during them, after them? all this rebooting and remaking has made the whole universe/s confusing now.

anyway, i just found out that the rest of this show is not being aired on regular TV, it's only being streamed on some subscription service. so fuck this shit. i never would've wasted my time watching the 1st episode if i knew i was going to have to pay to watch the rest of it. i hate this shit. i miss the days when watching TV was simple and easy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm still not sure why she's called Michael.

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with Vulcan culture, but I don't know what, exactly. I was watching Wrath of Khan recently and I noticed they referred to Kirstie Alley as MISTER Saavik. If you're a super-Trek nerd I'm sure it's explained in one of the many books.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 am

Ribbons wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I'm still not sure why she's called Michael.

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with Vulcan culture, but I don't know what, exactly. I was watching Wrath of Khan recently and I noticed they referred to Kirstie Alley as MISTER Saavik. If you're a super-Trek nerd I'm sure it's explained in one of the many books.

The "Mister" thing is naval terminology. Nick Meyer piled on the nautical references in Wrath of Khan. Ensigns and Lieutenants are referred to as "Mister". Lietenant Commanders and above are referred to as "Sir".

I've since read that it'sapparently due to Bryan Fuller's thing for naming female characters with male names.

George in Dead Like Me, Chuck in Pushing Daisies, Freddie in Hannibal
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am

c'mon now, guys.... gender-specific names are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO 22nd-century :roll:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:18 pm

The new episode is much better.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote: i miss the days when watching TV was simple and easy.

Yeah like when you're cooking for ages then go to sit down to eat your food whilst watching your show and then THE FUCKING ADVERTS COME ON!

Come on Bax, what's with you? Get with the times you old git and for out 6 quid for Netflix a month where you can watch your show without ad breaks and whenever you want. What could get more simple and easy as that? Apart from your brain.

By the way this show looks shit. I mean come on, it's got women in it being soooo straight but soooo dull. We all know that when sci-fi uses women it's not gonna be anywhere near as cool as male Captain Kirks 'n' stuff.

I'm not watching.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Yeah like when you're cooking for ages then go to sit down to eat your food whilst watching your show and then THE FUCKING ADVERTS COME ON!

Come on Bax, what's with you? Get with the times you old git and for out 6 quid for Netflix a month where you can watch your show without ad breaks and whenever you want. What could get more simple and easy as that? Apart from your brain.

yeah, this show isn't ON netflix you dimwit. if it was that simple, it'd be fine. but you shell out for Netflix, and then there's Hulu, and Amazon, and Yahoo, and now this CBS All Access (to your wallet) and whatever other streaming services come along with their own exclusive series. i've got enough parts of my life that are complicated, i don't need tv-watching to be one of them. it's just not worth it.

and i haven't watched adverts in years since i had a DVR... the last time i watched ads was when i tried Hulu, and was forced to watch ads i couldn't skip over, and STILL had to pay for it. fuck that shit. fuck Hulu, fuck Netflix, fuck CBS, fuck them all. wake me up when someone figures out a way to make all these shows available on a single service with a single bill... and i still won't watch them because they're shit shows anyway.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

yeah, this show isn't ON netflix you dimwit.

It is on Netflix. Just not in the US.

Everywhere else it's even listed as a "Netflix Original".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It is on Netflix. Just not in the US.

Everywhere else it's even listed as a "Netflix Original".

Fuuuuuck. I forgot about that simple fact. I remember, when the distribution plans came out for this show, thinking "that's going to piss me off...".
Well now I'm pissed. I have no idea if the show is any good, nor will I as long as it is CBS paid-streaming-only. I had recorded the pilot episode when it aired on broadcast TV.....but didn't watch it because I didn't want to become interested in a show that I'd never watch. I mean, I'm sure I could easily grab torrents of the show......but....no.

If it ends up on the US version of Netflix somewhere down the line, then I'll give it a shot.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

yeah, this show isn't ON netflix you dimwit.

OH! OH MY GOD IT'S NOT ON US NETFLIX!!!! :o :lol: Oh I didn't know that! Hahahahaaaa I can't believe a US produced show is on all the other Netflix countries but not the US! BAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!!! Oh you guys really suck! You must feel a right tool now hahahaha!!! That's embarrassing!!! Ah I guess you USA Dickheads really deserve it for not being able to sort your own country out and properly ruining yourselves with your way of life!!! You may as well get fake titties Bax!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 am

see!?!? nobody knows what the fuck channel this show is on! it's too fucking complicated.

and zod help you if you're a stephen king fan... you'll need to add Hulu to see 11.22.63 or Castle Rock, and get DirecTV to see Mr. Mercedes on their exclusive Audience channel, and make sure you have Spike TV to see the Mist....
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

TheBaxter wrote:see!?!? nobody knows what the fuck channel this show is on! it's too fucking complicated.

and zod help you if you're a stephen king fan... you'll need to add Hulu to see 11.22.63 or Castle Rock, and get DirecTV to see Mr. Mercedes on their exclusive Audience channel, and make sure you have Spike TV to see the Mist....

‘The Mist’ Canceled After One Season By Spike
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am

TheButcher wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:see!?!? nobody knows what the fuck channel this show is on! it's too fucking complicated.

‘The Mist’ Canceled After One Season By Spike

I guess the show won't be mist.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 am

the Mist was ok, but nothing special, i was debating whether to keep watching after this season ended. definitely not as good as the movie, but at least it was better than Under the Dome. i've got a couple episodes left in this season, guess i might as well finish it off even though i assume there won't be a resolution.

but back on topic...

FUCK CBS!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Coaxial