Jessica Jones via Netflix

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Jessica Jones via Netflix

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 pm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/jessica-jones/s01/?search=jess

100% Fresh so far at 12-0. DD was kickass and it looks like they have followed that up with an equally strong series taking place in the same neighborhood and with the same dark sensibility.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Jessica Jones via Netflix

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Er, well I watched the first episode anyway.

Jeeeeezzzzhhhh...!!! What's wrong with you guys???
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Oh I'll be back here once I actually watch the show.

I was going to quote something Baxter said about superheroes to see if he'd be into Jessica Jones, but I did some searching and it turns out I said it. So...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 am

I binged through Daredevil as fast as I could, I think I'm going to dole out JJ in small pieces.

But it is EXCELLENT
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:44 am

I'm on Episode 3 at the moment. Things are building but nothing too dramatic or extraordinary has happened yet apart from the ending of Ep1.

I loved Daredevil through and through. The fights, the characters, Wilson Fisk, the reality of it's approach where the consequences of a death were felt rather than throwaway pieces of standard violence.

So I have big hopes for Jessica Jones and the story of physical super powers mean little in the face of someone having the power to manipulate your mind and control you. Hope it meets expectations.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:42 am

Episode 5 now. Things are going great in this series so far, yet I personally feel that it hasn't reached the scary dark depths as I've been lead to believe it would have, or for things to get as intense as I would like. But maybe this is yet to come. But for a 13 episode only season, it better hit those levels quickly.

So far I love the mental manipulation explorations that this show is doing, and I can identify with the concept of your enemy trying to control your mind or get inside it and unnerve you, make you do things dancing to their tune. That's scary. The idea that despite Jessica saying that 'he won't do that to me again' she has become a slave to Kilgrave in a way, having to be his 'whore' in sending him pictures of herself against her will. A hint that he still can do dangerous controlling things to her, in spite of her physical powers. Stuff like that makes me shudder to think about. Wonder where this is all going...

But yeah, these mind against mind confrontations need to occur soon.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 am

I get what you're saying, I don't agree but I can see where you are coming from. For me the slow build has been worth it, the hints, the clues (some obvious, some not so much), the shadows.

I like that they have subverted the Marvel formula by not makng these series origin stories but we get glimpses and mflashbacks to it (that said, the Marvel tv formula could get repeative if they continue this method through Luke Cage and Iron Fist). I over little continuity connections (the cop whose mom Foggy buys cigars for is back, I was kind of expecting Foggy's girlfriend to work at Hogarth's office and/or someone to recommend Murdock and Nelson to Jessica. The Marvel Netflix Universe, while being dirty and distressed, doesn't quite feel as broken in as the MCU proper. I feel they are playing it a little safe by limiting their mentions of the greater universe.

Now, that said I over the respect being shown to the comic book origins (Jewel costume and name being dropped, Patsy Walker's meta origin (now a child tv star), reversing how Kilgrave and Jessica meet (in the comics he asked her what her name was, not her superhero name her real one, and here he asks what her costume name is)).

I am loving every casting decision. I just watched episode 6 or 7 which is a particularly stron and David Tennat heavy episode.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Yeah I hope that 6,7 onwards do up the drama on this show. I'm halfway through 6 ('House is not for sale' scene) and still hoping and waiting for more so far.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:28 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I loved Daredevil through and through. The fights, the characters, Wilson Fisk, the reality of it's approach where the consequences of a death were felt rather than throwaway pieces of standard violence.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm just about done with the first season. I think it's pretty solid.

I am curious to see if they are going to take this to the big screen. I would really like to see David Tennant in more purple suits.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 am

Just finished it. I've never read any comic with Jessica Jones.

While Killgrave was an interesting villain, I found that making his story the main arc of the season became a little tiresome. Sure, it was interesting to see how he'd use his power, but it just became boring for me after a while. I actually enjoyed the other characters (Malcolm, Hogarth, Luke Cage) more interesting and enjoyed their interactions with Jessica much more. I loved that Jessica's "origin" story didn't come until 2/3 of the way through the season - that was a nice change. Simpson/Nuke grew a little stale as well for me as he developed. Now that he's been introduced, I can't wait to see him on Daredevil! And speaking of DD, I liked Rosario Dawson making an appearance. I really like her in that role, and I'm not really a Dawson fan (Rosario or Creek).

All in all, I enjoyed it. I'm glad Killgrave is dead. And I can't wait to see what comes next.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:11 pm

About to finish the last episode. But I'm kinda the opposite to you. I want more of The Purple Man and Jessica face to face, her being in the cupboard with the monster so to speak. That's when things are most intense and psychological. Gimme more character stuff any day over action. As with Jessica vs this seductive and controlling man is where the real action of protagonist vs antogonist is for me.

Some of the supporting characters I don't have time for in comparison. I couldn't give a shit about JJ's 2 other acquaintances in her building and their gowing relationship together.

But overall so far, as I know I shouldn't expect things to be so up close and personal, this show has thoroughly satisfied.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 am

I knew absolutely nothing about the character going into the show so I really didn't have any expectations. The big surprise for me was Krysten Ritter. I only knew her from "Veronica Mars" and the one episode of "Don't Trust the B in Apt. 3" I saw so I wasn't sure how that was going to work out for a superhero drama. Holy shit she knocked it out of the park. Jones had been through the wringer and Ritter had me believing every moment of it. I didn't follow the production so I wasn't aware Tennant was in it until I was watching the show. It's still difficult to not see him as the Doctor but he gives good villain. My biggest concern was the last third of the season. It seemed like they had to stretch things a bit to fill out 13 episodes.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:12 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:It's still difficult to not see him as the Doctor but he gives good villain. My biggest concern was the last third of the season. It seemed like they had to stretch things a bit to fill out 13 episodes.

It was difficult to see him in this role but he was a superb villain.

They stretched out the season with boring twins and banana bread. I honestly felt the banana bread was part of the supporting cast.

I did have issue with Simpson's character a wee bit. His transition was a bit clunky for me. I really didn't buy the romantic nonsense between him and Trish. Too forced and too fast. The hallway conversation between the door was just painful for me.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I finished this over the weekend and liked it very much, but not as much as some reviewers. I found the character of Jessica Jones difficult to like but that did not detract from how much I enjoyed things, the show is both singular in its focus and yet diverse in how much ground it covers in order to follow that focus. I definitely enjoyed DD more, but I had an attachment to that character already, a nostalgia, so I accept that will color my judgement. I do think that Jessica Jones is a more layered show compared the first season of DD, covers more ground in subject material, and does an excellent job of establishing a very vivid sense of Jessica's sphere of existence, though I am curious why there is NO mention of DD at all until the last episode and by a crossover character from DD and Jessica shows no recognition of who the character is talking about, despite taking place after the events of the first season of DD and both heroes residing in Hell's Kitchen. it is an even darker season than the first of DD, and is much more sexual as well. a very solid start to the series and gives the character a good jumping off point for things now that the origin/getting to know you phase is out of the way.

also, excellent set-up for Luke Cage's series with Luke Cage spending so much time on screen with Jessica, as in WITH Jessica, that you could almost call it the Jessica and Luke Show. dude has a strong screen presence and I am looking forward to seeing what they do with him as the center of a story. I wonder how much we will see of Jessica in Luke's series considering how much of him we saw in hers?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 pm

A quick, spoilery question for anyone who's watched this show:

Do we know why Luke Cage's wife had a flash drive full of information on Kilgrave, or what her connection to Kilgrave was? Did I miss that somehow?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 am

Ribbons wrote:A quick, spoilery question for anyone who's watched this show:

Do we know why Luke Cage's wife had a flash drive full of information on Kilgrave, or what her connection to Kilgrave was? Did I miss that somehow?

No but the speculation is that it will connect to Luke's invulnerability
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Bloo wrote:
Ribbons wrote:A quick, spoilery question for anyone who's watched this show:

No but the speculation is that it will connect to Luke's invulnerability

probably connected to those responsible for making the videos we saw

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am

By the way, I absolutely love David Tennant as The Purple Man. Better even than Vincent D'Onofrio's turn as Wilson Fisk. Villains tend to be a weak spot in the Marvel films, but they stuck the landing with those two.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:24 pm

I finally finished the last few episodes of the first season of "Daredevil" and figured I should watch this before diving into season two.

I've watched the first three episodes and am enjoying it. It's not "Daredevil" good yet, but I like the one season/one villain approach, as well as the sex and swearing you don't get in the Marvel films. Did not expect to see this much of Luke Cage in this series. I'm looking forward to his show later this year.

Enjoyed the appearances by Clarke Peters and Robin Weigart. And Kristen Ritter is pretty good and has the unconventional good looks of someone who might fuck Tim Burton on the regular.

David Tennant needs to eat a sammich.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Kristen Ritter is pretty good and has the unconventional good looks of someone who might fuck Tim Burton on the regular.

HaahaaaHaaaaaaa!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm

this looks good, Daredevil good

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Season One was great. This looks to continue the trend.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm

just finished watching season 2 over the course of a couple weeks, and I was underwhelmed compared to the first season. it wasn't bad, production quality is there and no real complaint with any performances, the fault lies with the writing, the story the season told. meh. I don't really feel Jessica Jones the character is really any different at the end of the season than she was at the beginning of the season despite all that transpired, just more of the same bitter, wounded, angry, self-righteous, self-pitying asshole that she was to start. she's a lame character, really, everyone around her grows and/or changes with the course of events but she just stays in the same stupid fucking mode no matter what. one note.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

I have to agree. I watched season 2 a couple months ago and was reserved in my judgment, but thinking back on it now I can't help but feel like it disappointed me. I admire the idea that there was no bad guy, really; rather, everybody had different goals. That said, everybody was kind of an asshole, and Jessica in particular. Without someone like Kilgrave to pit her against her self-destructive behavior just seemed tedious and irritating.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial