Vinyl (Scorsese's HBO Rock n Roll Show)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Vinyl (Scorsese's HBO Rock n Roll Show)

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 am

Holy shit.

I expected greatness going in simply because of the pedigree of the creative team and top-notch cast. As I watched it, I enjoyed it and hated it...and everything in between. Fucking rock and roll. The main thing, though, is that I was completely immersed in the world of the show from the opening scene. What did I love? And what did I hate? I dunno. Seriously. 10 minutes after watching the pilot all I know is that I want more. Now.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Vinyl (Scorsese's HBO Rock n Roll Show)

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Nice. I was on the fence about watching this one because I feel like I already watch too much TV as it is, but I might have to give the pilot a go.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:18 pm

After sleeping on it, this show is deep in my head.
I was completely unconvinced that Bobby Canavalle could lead a show, but there he is - presenting a ridiculously intriguing (that word completely defines this show right now) lead character. Ray Romano - giving a great dramatic performance. I've always enjoyed his comedy and am thrilled to see him get a chance to shine dramatically. The subject matter is awesome, and I see music itself being a supporting character much like it was on Treme. I like Olivia Wilde a lot (have always thought of her as Megan Fox with a brain) and hope that she's well utilized in the show.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:51 pm

Fievel wrote:I like Olivia Wilde a lot (have always thought of her as Megan Fox with a brain) and hope that she's well utilized in the show.

'Vinyl': Olivia Wilde on Martin Scorsese's HBO Drama

[/butcher]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I need a few more episodes of this show to make a decision. On the fence with this one a bit.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:22 am

i'm enjoying this show. i really enjoy seeing how they work real-life musicians, celebrities, and other recording figures into the show. the alice cooper stuff last episode was great.
i alse really enjoyed seeing olivia wilde's nipple.

and now i can officially say that andy warhol sat on my face.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Vinyl spins its last record

See what I did there, guys!?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 am

this show really went downhill (olivia wilde full-frontal notwithstanding). i would have liked it a lot better if they didn't shoehorn in a cliche'd mafia/murder cover-up and instead focused on the actual music industry plotlines. that murder stuff was just a distraction, and something that's been done better a thousand times before in a thousand other shows and movies. i enjoyed it enough to make it to the underwhelming finale, but i'm not sure i would have been up for another season.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Yeah, I'd heard some mishigas over the mafia subplot on the show. It's like Terence Winter needed gang violence to find his way into the story.

I don't know if I was ever going to watch Vinyl, but I'm a little concerned that both this and True Detective were renewed under Michael Lombardo and then canceled anyway once the new head of programming (Casey Bloys) took over. Is nothing sacred!?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:46 pm

I never watched past the second episode. I enjoyed the first two, but fell behind on my dvr recordings. After a while I just couldn't generate enough interest to watch it again. The cancellation made it easy for me.

Now I just need The Principals to make me laugh next month. Then bring on Westworld.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Coaxial