Stranger Things

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Stranger Things

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm two episodes in and loving it so far, who else is watching?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Stranger Things

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:21 pm

4 episodes in so far. It's a bit slow, but maybe I'm too impatient with the build up. The acting is good, not fantastic to be entirely gripping.

I'm not really seeing what the fuss is about so far really. The characters haven't grabbed my interest too much, but we'll see how things progress. There's some great ideas and mysteries going on with these abductions, are they in some other dimension or something? What's going on there? I'm enjoying finding this out so far.

The actress who plays El has me always glued to the screen when she's on. She's one of my favourite things so far. Winona Ryder is very good at playing unhinged to the point of going mad, she doesn't cross the line into becoming OTT too much.

At around 50 minutes per episode a lot can happen, so I hope that this setting up pays off.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 pm

I read somewhere that this was the '80s throwback/Amblin homage that Super 8 tried to be
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 am

i'm looking forward to watching it once it's out on blu-ray or something
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Ribbons wrote:I read somewhere that this was the '80s throwback/Amblin homage that Super 8 was

there, corrected for accuracy :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm just passing along the message, gosh!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:20 pm

The appeal and quality of this show definitely grew as it progressed. I'm finished with it now, and I will miss this childhood early 80s world in which I felt privileged to be invited into, and I will miss the characters, especially the easy going kids who behaved admirably against all that darkness and horror.

It had a sci-fi twist which was just original enough to make it stand out from the films that it was paying homage to, and keeping it's own serious tone while still maintaining enough endearing treatment of it's characters make it it's own thing.

The acting, suspense and mystery made this an infectious watch, and sitting here on this computer as I type this, I know sitting here in front of it tomorrow there will be a feeling of lack, as this part of early 80s youth and hanging out with such likeable characters running around fighting bad guys and otherworldly demons will no longer be there for me to join in with. It sucks waiting nearly a year for the next season of a show you've grown attached to. Thank you for the enjoyment and being the best part of my day, guys.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:31 am

This show is a real blast from the past for me. Being an 80s kid, just about every scene has some little reminder of my childhood (damn, I wish I had kept my Clash vinyls). The kids are just fantastic in this and it's really great to see Winona Ryder in front of the camera again.

I am 3 episodes in so far and very captivated by this show. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
Maui
WoWie

Postby judderman on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:34 am

I'm also an eighties kid but I had a slightly abusive childhood so I don't really have a lot of nostalgia for it. I loved seeing Winona, but I felt hers was a thankless role. And I constantly wondered why they didn't just cut it down to 2.5 hours and release it as a movie, since it would have had the same effect.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:04 am

This could have easily been a derivative piece of shit. But thanks to the perfect casting, fantastic/authentic 80's acting, and ridiculous attention to detail, this was a genuine treat to watch. It was like every episode, I could just sit there and point out the influences (sometimes a shameless lift) from classic 80's films....but it was executed so masterfully that I didn't care.

Like kirks said, I'll miss this. I already do.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 am

Okay, so this seems like a good opportunity for the rant I've been practicing on my friends and relatives: why do Netflix shows have to come out at the same time every year?*

They've completely re-invented the distribution model, yet with the production schedule that most of their shows have, they're essentially starting the next season right after they finished the last one. You're not going to tell me that some of those shows haven't suffered creative sophomore slumps as a result of not having enough time to incubate (I'm looking at you, Daredevil and Orange Is the New Black). So why do they do it? Because that's how it's always been done? I don't get it.

*(in case this wasn't clear, this Stranger Things preview promises Season 2 will air next year, presumably at the same time.)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Stranger Things 2

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:16 am

EW:
Andrew Stanton to helm 2 episodes of Stranger Things 2
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 am

The things are getting strangier.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:19 am

Wolfpack wrote:The things are getting strangier.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial