Perry Mason

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm

I have watched and rewatched the first episode several times now, and I'm hooked. this is HBO nailing it again. fantastic all around
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Nice. I'm recording this on my DVR on the moment, with the plan to binge it all when the season's over. I've been a big fan of Matthew Rhys's hangdog face ever since The Americans.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14158
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:Nice. I'm recording this on my DVR on the moment, with the plan to binge it all when the season's over. I've been a big fan of Matthew Rhys's hangdog face ever since The Americans.


I used to be like that, preferring to wait and binge a show, but I have found that I enjoy having a week to turn each episode over and savor it when it comes to a quality hour long show. there is a lot that goes into each hour and they are packing a lot in with these streaming series that are only 8 or 10 episodes long, so by having a week to watch an episode two or three times I can really digest what happened and what was said, and I am fully up to speed for the experience of the next new episode. with a series that was so dense like Westworld, or what Perry Mason seems to be, I think a rewatch between episodes is almost a must.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:28 pm

4 episodes in and I am still loving this show. slow burn noir set in depression era Los Angeles that can stand on its own but is also building a great origin story for THE Perry Mason
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:48 pm

and it doesn't even have robot cowboys!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Wolfpack wrote:and it doesn't even have robot cowboys!


hey, don't be talkin smack about Westworld, that is a great show. and there were NO cowboys in season 3, none at all....
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:43 am

Wow. thank you for existing, HBO, because if you didn't we would never get such high quality content like Perry Mason. great origin story with room to grow and flesh out the characters and times even more in coming seasons
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:54 am

I can't quite decide how I feel about this show (4 episodes down, 4 to go). I'm a little bit confused as to why it exists -- "gritty Perry Mason" didn't seem to be a thing that anybody was asking for, and it doesn't have a message or themes that feel timely or necessary. It was originally being pitched as a vanity project for Robert Downey Jr., who was either too busy to commit to the role or lost interest, but it was far enough into development that momentum kept it going and it eventually morphed into a limited series. So it's a bit of a strange beast in that regard. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for both serialized detective series and period pieces, and this one is better-made than most. HBO's typically lavish production design is second-to-none, and the cast is stacked with Actors That You Liked On Other Shows. So I'll happily watch the remaining 4 episodes and will probably be down for a season 2, if they choose to make one. But it's more like the cinematic equivalent of comfort food than something I'm genuinely stoked about.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14158
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 am

Ribbons wrote:I can't quite decide how I feel about this show (4 episodes down, 4 to go). I'm a little bit confused as to why it exists -- "gritty Perry Mason" didn't seem to be a thing that anybody was asking for, and it doesn't have a message or themes that feel timely or necessary. It was originally being pitched as a vanity project for Robert Downey Jr., who was either too busy to commit to the role or lost interest, but it was far enough into development that momentum kept it going and it eventually morphed into a limited series. So it's a bit of a strange beast in that regard. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for both serialized detective series and period pieces, and this one is better-made than most. HBO's typically lavish production design is second-to-none, and the cast is stacked with Actors That You Liked On Other Shows. So I'll happily watch the remaining 4 episodes and will probably be down for a season 2, if they choose to make one. But it's more like the cinematic equivalent of comfort food than something I'm genuinely stoked about.



I know people aren't used to seeing it but the characters in Perry Mason actually have a real arc, this isn't just some "grunge Perry Mason" as a way to just be different, it is as an origin story the same as a superhero origin story only Perry Mason does it a lot better than Marvel Comedy productions, it isn't beating you over the head with an obvious message, though I think there are themes that are absolutely timely, in fact, timeless, as well as issues covered by way of telling the story regarding women's rights and racism in our society. I am puzzled that you want to categorize something that is as well done and thoughtful as "comfort food" just because it doesn't have some big overt political message it's trying to sell.
Last edited by Peven on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Peven wrote:I am puzzled that you want to categorize something that is as well done and thoughtful as "comfort food" just because it doesn't have some big overt political message it's trying to sell.


I'm only referring to my own feelings. A show doesn't have to be about anything for me to really enjoy it (e.g. The Umbrella Academy). I don't dislike Perry Mason, but I feel a curious sense of detachment while I'm watching it as well, and I can't quite figure out why.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14158
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:I am puzzled that you want to categorize something that is as well done and thoughtful as "comfort food" just because it doesn't have some big overt political message it's trying to sell.


I'm only referring to my own feelings. A show doesn't have to be about anything for me to really enjoy it (e.g. The Umbrella Academy). I don't dislike Perry Mason, but I feel a curious sense of detachment while I'm watching it as well, and I can't quite figure out why.



I think the season feels a lot like a book to me in its construction, the way characters are introduced and developed at a slower pace, so considering where you are in the story you have seen the character introductions and the beginnings of their own individual trials, no pun intended. I think you are going to be pleased with how the second half of the season pays off the investment of getting to know these people.

there is an existential element to the season, the characters, that is more layered, eloquent, than the vast bulk of what passes for any kind of drama these days.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench


Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests