ACTION ICONS

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

ACTION ICONS

Postby devilsbrigade on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:27 pm

I grew up on one man against the world ICONIC action movies. Bronson )Mr. Majestyk), Norris(Invasion USA), Stallone(Cobra), Arnold (red Heat), Van Damme (Cyborg), Seagal (Marked for Death), Chan (Operation Condor), Yun-Fat (A Better Tomorrow Trilogy), Speakman (Yes, The Perfect Weapon Rocks!!). I gotta say I'm glad that Hollywood started making all the Comic movies with good budgets, but they've neglected me with there lack of titles by these guys. The Rock did a good job in Walking Tall, but he has faltered big time elsewhere. I know this is a meandering rant, but I want a good hard R Action Movie NOW dammit! and yes, I will be in line at the video store to get my copy of Seagal's Black Dawn when it comes out on the 26th!
You've been in-&-out of 9 different camps b/c you're the biggest chiseler, hustler, scrounger in the whole Army. Well, in 2 weeks our first recruits arrive, ... you're going to supply. How you do it is your own business. So start hustling.
devilsbrigade
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:58 am

Jason Stratham is the only modern Icon I can think of I would put in the same bag as the guys you mention, he's still a puppy really too, what he's done like 3 or 4 Action roles recently, not really enough to be considered an Icon yet.

The Rock was better in "The Rundown" than "Walking Tall" IMO, that actually felt like a classic 80's buddy Action Movie, Walking Tall had such a contrived plot I didn't notice if the action was any good or not.

The Punisher was a missed oportunity, that could have been BADASS but they screwed the pooch.

Why are there no more real Action Icons anymore?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Drummerdude on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:58 am

Your right, Devilsbrigade, the action genre is falling. I mean, Stealth was AWFUL and so was The Island, plus who really bought Ewan McGregor as an Action Hero? we need more people like The Rock around in movies
Drummerdude
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:06 am

Just Wait until John Cena (WORD LIFE) gets thrown onto the scene by WWE Films, He's got a film called "The Marine" which is basically another Walking Tall remake, and if that goes well I heard WWE are planning on remaking Predator with an all WWE cast.

Please no.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am

John-Locke wrote:Just Wait until John Cena (WORD LIFE) gets thrown onto the scene by WWE Films, He's got a film called "The Marine" which is basically another Walking Tall remake, and if that goes well I heard WWE are planning on remaking Predator with an all WWE cast.

Please no.

:shock:

OMG, something of such magnitude may cause the minds of men to simply give up and implode.

But a good hard 'R' rated action movie is long overdue.

Roadhouse2 anyone?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby killeridea on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:10 pm

That's what Rambo 4 is all about.
killeridea
GLIB

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:22 pm

I trust the omission from the list of Michael Dudikoff was an oversight and not a concious cock blocking

American Ninja!

And yeah, I thought The Rock was going to be a major action star, but he seems determined to take on shitty projects that don't have a script. Hmm Vin Deisel was kind of iconic for a while.. not really sure what's happened to him now though
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:28 pm

Fighting
Oriental
Re-adjust your face
Enter the dragon
Steal your heart
Trip you up

Lunge kick
Exclaim out in pain
Erudite

FOREST LEE IS THE GREATEST MOVIE STAR EVER!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:50 pm

Everyone's forgetting the greatest action hero of all time, Bruce Campbell.

But in terms of modern-day action icons, well...I dunno. The action genre isn't really what it used to be. Like, we just don't have movies like Commando anymore. No musclebound, slightly homoerotic heroes like Rambo or whatever. What's the closest we got? The Rock, and then maybe. He comes close to that icon status physically but he hasn't got the movies to back it up.

I mean, the reason why everyone got so excited with that stupid rumour about Inglorious Bastards was that Tarantino was (supposedly) going to be regrouping all the real action icons...Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Bruce Willis. If they added Chuck Norris and Van Damme to that list it would be nigh on completion.

I had a friend who lived on the same street as Chuck Norris. Said he was a real Struggling Background Artist.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:55 pm

I think overall that era of action hero is fading. I mean, we'll get them once in awhile but it won't ever be like it was in the 80s/early 90s.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Steve McQueen

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Steve McQueen's introduction to Triumph motorcycles
On what would have been his 84th birthday, we examine the origin of Steve McQueen's connection with Triumph motorcycles
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Steve McQueen

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 am

The Action Hero Championship Belt
From Steve McQueen to Liam Neeson, Bill Simmons determines who ruled the box office
Bill Simmons wrote:Before Steve McQueen, Hollywood didn’t produce action movies in the modern sense. You never saw John Wayne trapped on a luxury yacht with scheming terrorists, or Paul Newman tearing through Paris to find his kidnapped daughter. If you needed a testosterone fix, you survived on a never-ending slew of Westerns and war movies, or any plot in which our heroes took an inordinately long time to plan an escape. Occasionally, Hollywood threw a curveball like Cool Hand Luke, but even those movies starred accomplished actors and had loftier goals than just “Meet our hero … he’s about to kick some ass.”

McQueen changed everything in 1968 with Frank Bullitt, a renegade San Francisco cop who … (wait for it) … PLAYED BY HIS OWN RULES!!!!! Check out the poster for Bullitt and tell me this movie couldn’t be remade right now with Mark Wahlberg.

That poster’s formula (“gun-toting tough guy + dangerous word + aggressive tagline”) unknowingly created the recipe for five decades of cop movies. McQueen had flexed his action muscles before — most famously with the motorcycle scene from The Great Escape — but these were different stakes. Hold on, the mob murdered a witness Bullitt had been protecting? Sayonara, rulebook!!! The movie’s signature scene: a revolutionary, way-way-way-ahead-of-its-time car chase that paved the way for The French Connection, To Live and Die in L.A., Ronin, The Bourne Supremacy, and the entire Fast & Furious franchise. Other than that, it wasn’t a huge deal. Check out McQueen’s Mustang zooming through the streets of San Francisco, and keep in mind, this scene was basically Julius Erving trying to dunk from the foul line, or Jimmy Snuka climbing to the top of the steel cage to leap on Bob Backlund.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: Jackie Chan

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Variety:
Jackie Chan Approached for ‘Expendables 4,’ ‘Rush Hour 4′
According to the legendary action star, he's been approached for three potential sequels: “Expendables 4″, “Rush Hour 4″ and “Drunken Master 3.”
Maane Khatchatourian wrote:Jackie Chan is in high demand.

According to the legendary action star, he’s been approached for three potential sequels: “Expendables 4″, “Rush Hour 4″ and “Drunken Master 3.”

“Sly (Stallone) wants me for ‘Expendables 4,'” he told Den of Geek earlier this week. “I said, ‘okay.’ Because they already asked me to be in two and three, but I refused. Well, I didn’t refuse, but I said, ‘Sly, can’t we just do you and me? Not just a bunch of people and me only coming out for five minutes.'”

It appears that Chan is holding out for a bigger role or an anti-“Expendables” pic with just two action stars. That’s probably best as “Expendables 3″ flopped in the box office on Friday when it made its franchise-worst debut. The pic is also set to be the series’ lowest-grossing opening.

“So if I’m in ‘Expendables 4,’ I want it to be me and him,” he said. “Then it might be interesting. Otherwise you just come out for five minutes.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: Jackie Chan

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 am

youtube:
Jackie Chan - How to Do Action Comedy
Every Frame a Painting wrote:Some filmmakers can do action. Others can do comedy. But for 40 years, the master of combining them has been Jackie Chan. Let’s see how he does it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: Vin Diesel

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Vin Diesel's had plenty of franchises, so why has only one of them worked?
And, no, Groot does not count.
Moriarty wrote:nd sure enough, there's one franchise where Vin Diesel in front and center and pretty much the center of the thing that is positively gigantic. Universal has had tremendous luck with the "Fast and Furious" franchise, and even after the untimely and emotionally devastating death of Paul Walker, the team behind the films rallied and finished the last movie and turned it into the biggest success of the series so far. These films are so big that logic would dictate that everything else Diesel touches turns to equivalent gold…

… but it's not true. Not at all. When Vin originally left the "Fast & Furious" series, it was because he was poised for gigantic stardom, and it felt like they were going to start building new series around him. After all, "Pitch Black" wasn't a big hit in 2000, but it had an audience, and it seemed like Universal could give him room to do something much bigger building off of that with "The Chronicles Of Riddick." Between those two films came the first "Fast and the Furious" and "xXx," the James-Bond-of-extreme-sports movie, and when "xXx" and "Riddick" underperformed, suddenly it was like people didn't know what to do with him. "The Pacifier" may be the all-time favorite film of at least one working film critic (Jeremy "Mr. Beaks" Smith, I'm looking at you), but it did not expand his audience or build on his success at all. "Find Me Guilty" may be a nice performance, but it doesn't really work as a film as a whole, and no one saw it. By the time he agreed to make a surprise appearance at the end of "The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift," it felt like a Hail Mary pass on his part, a desperate attempt to return to one of the few things that had worked. One more big action/SF attempt, "Babylon A.D.", tanked completely before there was a full-blown "Fast & Furious 4" with Dominic Toretto at the center of it in 2009.

RolandDeschain1 wrote:Rob Cohen said that when he was casting F&F he rang Spielberg to ask about working with Vin on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. Cohen says there was a long pause on the end of the line, then Spielberg said: "There's a reason I killed him first..."

Who knows how much truth there is in any of it? I heard reports that he is still a nightmare to work with on the F&F movies, and apparently he's demanding much more creative control.

'Furious 8' Stuck at the Starting Line: Universal's Director Dilemma
'Furious 7' helmer James Wan opts for a 'Conjuring' sequel as star-producer Vin Diesel causes headaches and the studio faces an April 2017 release date on the follow-up to the $1.5 billion box-office behemoth.
Matthew Belloni & Kim Masters wrote: In addition to the trauma surrounding Walker's death, which required rewriting the script and concocting elaborate special effects (and the use of his brothers as body doubles) to resurrect the actor for key scenes, sources say Diesel proved extraordinarily difficult. As a producer, he is said to have questioned even small details on elaborate action sequences, often holding up the complex production. He also was known to summon filmmakers to repeated late-night script sessions to make him comfortable with his character and dialogue.

Diesel's spokesperson says any suggestion that he was tough to work with is "complete nonsense," and Wan's rep denies any on-set friction beyond the pressure of soldiering on after Walker's death.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Oldboy (2003) - How To Make A Fight Scene | Ryan's Theory

io9:
So Why Do Action Movies Make Actresses Fight Like This?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Charlize Theron: Badass Action Star

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Comics Alliance:
Charlize Theron Is a Deadly Spy in First ‘Atomic Blonde’ Teasers and Photos
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: Jackie Chan!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Charlize Theron v Scarlett Johansson

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm

TheButcher wrote:Comics Alliance:
Charlize Theron Is a Deadly Spy in First ‘Atomic Blonde’ Teasers and Photos

BMD Mar. 30, 2017:
How Scarlett Johansson Became Today’s Sole A-List Action Heroine
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 am

KURT RUSSELL PITCHED AN ACTION-HERO CINEMATIC UNIVERSE IN THE ‘80S
Brandon Staley wrote:The cinematic universe is largely considered an invention of the modern Hollywood era, but if that’s the case, then actor Kurt Russell must have been ahead of his time back in the ‘80s when he pitched a project that would have brought together big-name actors to play their most iconic action heroes in a single film. The project would have seen the likes of Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis in a team-up movie to rival “The Expendables.”

“They all had one best character that I thought would be interesting, in the action world, to put those guys together,” Russell said in an interview with FOX 5 DC reporter Kevin McCarthy. “That would have been a realistic version of what Marvel did, but it was like talking to a wall. I thought it would have been cool. Let them be the characters that they are.”

Russell, who plays the living planet Ego in the upcoming “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” said he would have reprised his “Escape from New York” role as Sake Plissken, but that might not have garnered the result studio heads were looking for.

“My thing about that was, if I was going to be Snake in that, the only problem was that I’m going to have to produce the movie because all Snake’s gonna do is walk in, look at them and leave,” Russell said.

Russell was one of the many ‘80s actors who enjoyed a career playing primarily action-oriented roles. He played the world-weary, apathetic Snake Plissken in the 1981 dystopic John Carpenter-directed movie “Escape from New York” and its 1996 sequel, “Escape from L.A.” Alongside him, Stallone gained worldwide acclaim for his role as Vietnam veteran John Rambo in 1982’s “First Blood” and its subsequent follow-ups. In 1988, “Die Hard” put Willis on the map as John McClane, a police detective who continuously finds himself thwarting terrorist plots. Schwarzenegger defined much of the ‘80s action genre with films like “Predator” in 1987, “Commando” in 1985 and “Terminator” in 1984.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: Jackie Chan & Sylvester Stallone

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Deadline May 11, 2017:
Jackie Chan, Sylvester Stallone Team For Scott Waugh-Directed ‘Ex-Baghdad’
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Jackie Chan and Sylvester Stallone are teamed to star in Ex-Baghdad, a timely action thriller that Scott Waugh has been set to direct. It is an $80 million budget action film that becomes one of the biggest budget films to come out of China. Chan will serve as a producer through his company SR Media, with Qi Jianhong and Talent International’s Esmond Ren. SR Media and Talent International will also finance the film. Hans Canosa is also producing.

The film is a two-hander that matches up global action stars Chan and Stallone for the first time. When Stallone decided not to continue with The Expendables, this was the film he looked forward to doing instead.

When a China-run oil refinery is attacked in Mosul, Iraq, a Chinese private security contractor (Chan) is called in to extract the oil workers. He learns, however, that the attackers’ real plan is to steal a fortune in oil, and teams up with an American former Marine (Stallone) to stop them. The script is by Arash Amel. CAA reps Chan and Amel, WME Stallone and UTA reps Waugh, who helmed 6 Below, Act Of Valor and Need For Speed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACTION ICONS: CHARLIZE THERON

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 pm

CHARLIZE THERON Fight Training for ATOMIC BLONDE (2017)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Actor Discussion