Actors who should be BIGGER.

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Actors who should be BIGGER.

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:17 pm

I can get a bit tired of boring, predictable and unimaginitve Hollywood castings for parts sometimes. Getting big stars to sell a film I understand, but too often I'd love to have unknowns coming on screen and blowing you away with their performances and making the characters fresh, so that you end up going, 'who was that actor?!' I think that a lot of great actors who are just as good as known actor and stars, don't get the chances that they deserve. Hell, I've got an actor mate who's one of them himself.

Anyone have a a list of really talented but relatively unknown actors that should be cast in films more, instead of being pushed aside too much by well known names who might not actually be better for these parts? I myself am guilty of not knowing many depite my interest, that's why I'm asking you guys.

Keeping thing's brief, I've got 2 names that many my never have heard of, as examples of actors who I'd like to see more of, or wonder why I never saw them in anything again.

Peter Mullan - Miss Sophie, On A Clear Day, My Name Is Joe.
Amanda Langlet - Cute and endearing French actress from A Summer's Tale.

The other half of this thread are KNOWN actors who should be BIGGER stars. For example.

Carla Gugino - Sin City, Snake Eyes, Spy Kids
David Wenham - Farimir from LOTR, Molokai: The Story of Father Damien

Anyone who wants to add some names or comment on this subject, fill me in.

Kirk Out.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:36 pm

Vern Troyer
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:39 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Vern Troyer

ROTFL!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:48 pm

I was saying for years Johnny Depp deserved to be bigger, but I guess I can't say that anymore.

Christian Slater and Winona Ryder seem to be in a slump. Maybe they should do a Heathers reunion.

As for the OP's Q, er, I have no idea. I don't see nearly as many movies as I used to.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:25 pm

Liev Schreiber (holy shit I spelled it correctly on the first guess!)
Ryan Gosling
Rachael Leigh Cook
Chyler Leigh
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 pm

the incomperable Phyllis Diller. just by being Phyllis she deserves
a nobel peace prize...

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby jobo on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:50 pm

The actor that played Papa Giorgio in National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation. That kid was awesome.

The guy who played Finch in American Pie.

The actress who plays Calamity Jane in Deadwood.

The guy who plays Josh on West Wing. He's under-rated with what he's done with that character.
jobo
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:52 am

jobo wrote:The guy who played Finch in American Pie.

Good call on shitbreak, jobo! After seeing Freddy Got Fingered, however, you may never want to ever see anyone involved in that movie again...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:23 am

Treat Williams, Jurgen Prochnow (now THERE'S 2 names I never expected to see in the same sentence) Sheryl Lee, Everett McGill, the guy who plays Jake on Eastenders, Cavan Kendall, Sy Richardson, Campbell Scott, Dana Ashbrook, Eric DaRa (noticing a theme here?), Kang-Ho Song, Ian Somerhalder, Josh Holloway
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:25 am

Pacino86845 wrote:you may never want to ever see anyone involved in that movie again...

Today's Brain Twister award goes to me. Sorry to all the contenders. There's always tomorrow!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:15 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Campbell Scott

Good call, man. Don't think I've seen any of the other names up there besides for the Lostaways and Treat Williams. Guess that means they could probably stand to be more famous.

Aaron Stanford, Sandra Oh, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:20 am

Bruce McGIll.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:21 pm

He's gonna be Huge soon but Joseph Gordon Levitt should be cast in more things. He was brilliant in Mysterious Skin and I hear both the film Brick and his performance in it are something special too.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:24 pm

Jake Gyllenhaal. He needs to put on more weight. Oh wait... Did I misunderstand the thread?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:38 pm

TonyWilson wrote:He's gonna be Huge soon but Joseph Gordon Levitt should be cast in more things. He was brilliant in Mysterious Skin and I hear both the film Brick and his performance in it are something special too.

Second.

His performance in Mysterious Skin was a revelation. Never even imagined he had that in him.

GarbageMan nailed it with Ryan Gosling. His role in The Believer (Jewish skinhead)...damn. So easy to hate that character, but he somehow made him sympathetic.

Idris Elba. I'm not g@y, but he can lick my balls as I jerk off. If there was a pill that made you g@y, I'd take it if he'd marry me. Plus, he's been great in both the Wire and Ultraviolet.

Justin Theroux. Ditto ('bout the g@y stuff).

shout outs to the Canadian females...Sarah Polley and Mia Kirshner.
and to keep up with actors from Exotica, how 'bout Bruce Greenwood. He's good in everything.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 pm

John C. McGinley from scrubs is an absolute genius... The lines that he has to memorize are long as the winter day and as complicated as japanese geometry (don't ask???)... I think he has the potential for a very broad spectrum of acting...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:50 pm

athenabodicea wrote:John C. McGinley from scrubs is an absolute genius... The lines that he has to memorize are long as the winter day and as complicated as japanese geometry (don't ask???)... I think he has the potential for a very broad spectrum of acting...

He's great in Scrubs and I liked him as the baddie in Dean Koontz's Intensity too.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:01 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:John C. McGinley from scrubs is an absolute genius... The lines that he has to memorize are long as the winter day and as complicated as japanese geometry (don't ask???)... I think he has the potential for a very broad spectrum of acting...

He's great in Scrubs and I liked him as the baddie in Dean Koontz's Intensity too.

I never saw that.... Did he have a big role in it????
He seems to always have these small roles... or else he plays the same type of characters... I loved him in office space.....

I think if he got a leading role in a good script, he could be fanfuckingtastic...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

It was a tv movie. He was the leading man. Played a messed up dude, who kidnapped and was torturing this chick. It's been quite a while since I've seen the movie or read the book, but I do remember him being good in it.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:06 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:It was a tv movie. He was the leading man. Played a messed up dude, who kidnapped and was torturing this chick. It's been quite a while since I've seen the movie or read the book, but I do remember him being good in it.

Cool... Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:10 pm

"Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean I got a bad feeling! I don't think I'm gonna make it outta here! D'ya understand what I'm sayin' to you?"

Platoon. John C. McGinley as Sgt. O'Neill.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:14 pm

And from Point Break (Great Delivery)

You're a real blue flame special, aren't you, son? Young, dumb and full of come, I know. What I don't know is how you got assigned here. Guess we must just have ourselves an asshole shortage, huh?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:37 pm

I forgot about those...

See.... Those roles are the same kind of character... You know??? I think he could definitely branch off and I'm hoping that he will do some movie work outside of Scrubs.... In a challenging role...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:38 pm

His style of line delivery might suit the fast paced dialogue of the Coen Brothers?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:His style of line delivery might suit the fast paced dialogue of the Coen Brothers?

Ahhhh yes.. He could have been great in Fargo....

Do they have anything up and coming??? I could write them a letter, you know, telling them to hire Mcginley for the main character....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Radha Mitchell

ImageImage

See Melinda and Melinda if you need proof.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:15 pm

did anyone say vern troyer yet? haha :P
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:47 pm

tfactor wrote:did anyone say vern troyer yet? haha :P

Ok thats 2 votes for vern... Someone else said him too.... But come on here... I'm losing all faith...

Actually I really hate that guy except for mini me...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:49 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
tfactor wrote:did anyone say vern troyer yet? haha :P

Ok thats 2 votes for vern... Winslow said him too.... But come on here... Ok that was witty...
How about Tom Hanks... (Big) get it...

Actually I really hate that guy except for his role as mini me...
Last edited by athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby tfactor on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:49 pm

damn you winslowleach, and what's sad is I looked for it first but figured the first couple coudn't possibly be that quick, I stand corrected!
Last edited by tfactor on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:50 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Radha Mitchell

ImageImage

See Melinda and Melinda if you need proof.

Yet another Actor that started off in the piece of Shit Australian Daytime Soap "Neighbours" (I love it really)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:58 am

What about a the mouse who was inna that "Stuart Little" movie, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:01 am

Taking a cue from my New Bond Girl vote, I think Natalie Imbruglia should be in more movies. She is such a major cutie, I'd pay to see her in anything...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:02 am

He got way to big for his boots, Dino.........The first mouse 'diva' if you will, ridiculous demands and an enormous ( well for a mouse ) coke habit...... He came to a sticky end.........

doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:51 am

That poor bastard...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:57 am

i've always thought Gary Sinise deserves more credit for being a better than average actor.
i think he has alot of "critic love", but i don't think the averge movie-goer knows who he is...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 am

Probably not very well known outside the UK - Mark Heap is consistently brilliant in everything he does (apart from the godawful Green Wing where he was still the best thing) - Big Train, Jam, Spaced...great comedy actor with a hilarious face. IMDB says he was in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory as "man with dog". He deserves better than that.

Another member of the same 'scene' who is wasted on TV is Julia Davis. Check out BBC's" Nighty Night" if you don't know who she is. She has the most intense eyes. And is a minx to boot! Image
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:18 am

vicious_bastard wrote:apart from the godawful Green Wing where he was still the best thing

Dude, no love for the Green Wing? I think that show is a riot. One of the funny BBCAmerica shows that I watch...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:18 am

Oh there is a couple of british actors I think deserve more work/credit on an international level: Ken Stott and Ray Winstone.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:32 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
vicious_bastard wrote:apart from the godawful Green Wing where he was still the best thing

Dude, no love for the Green Wing? I think that show is a riot. One of the funny BBCAmerica shows that I watch...

Hit and miss, I thought. I disliked the actors more than the show - that posh-nosed bird and Adrian Mole get on my tits. I find it hard to be objective when I don't like the people involved.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:34 am

vicious_bastard wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

Hit and miss, I thought. I disliked the actors more than the show - that posh-nosed bird and Adrian Mole get on my tits. I find it hard to be objective when I don't like the people involved.

Understandable. I've only just recently started watching BBCAmerica on a regular basis, so I don't have any preconceived notions of the actors/actresses.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:50 am

Nick Frost should be much bigger too. He wasn't even an actor when they started writing Spaced, just one of Simon Peggs mate's who did this character to cheer him up. Then going from Mike to Ed in SOTD, none more different characters, he proved he was great talent.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:07 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:
Another member of the same 'scene' who is wasted on TV is Julia Davis. Check out BBC's" Nighty Night" if you don't know who she is. She has the most intense eyes. And is a minx to boot! Image

I haven't been watching Nighty Night but she was Brilliant in Wilbur (want's to Kill himself) check it out.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:14 pm

Oh man, Julia Davis gives me the horn. The things is she's really beautiful but just looks like a tart in Nighty Night, which is a shame.
TonyWilson

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:56 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Nick Frost should be much bigger too. He wasn't even an actor when they started writing Spaced, just one of Simon Peggs mate's who did this character to cheer him up. Then going from Mike to Ed in SOTD, none more different characters, he proved he was great talent.

That Channel 5 show he did was hilarious as well - 'Danger: 50,00 Volts'. His demonstration of how best to survive a gorilla attack was particularly good.

John Locke wrote:]I haven't been watching Nighty Night but she was Brilliant in Wilbur (want's to Kill himself) check it out.

Trailer looks interesting. It's on my Lovefilm list now - cheers.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:55 pm

so sorry wrote:i've always thought Gary Sinise deserves more credit for being a better than average actor.
i think he has alot of "critic love", but i don't think the averge movie-goer knows who he is...

Agreed, and I almost mentioned him as well.
It's too bad that he does great character work, but when he tries to break into lead roles he lands in shit like Imposter. I haven't seen CSI:NY, but he deserves more than to be slumming on TV.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:03 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Vern Troyer

the funny thing about this is, if you ever see the episode of "The Surreal Life" where they are making that kung fu movie. you can tell who actually can act, and who cant. and as much as it pains me to say it, verne fucking troyer was the best actor in the bunch. no wonder peter brady and chyna never got another job acting.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:33 pm

Has Kenneth McMillan been brought up? That man has never got the recognition he deserves.....Where's flumm!?!?!?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:19 pm

Polly Walker.

Hot and talented brunette actress that was the fake red head terrorist in Patriot Games. But in Roseanna's Grave I didn't recognise her and thought she was a real Italian actress, not an English actress acting Italian. Very convincing.

She's well horny too. No reason not to make her more known. Filming Scenes of a Sexual Nature right now!!! Oh Dwoooooo, Oh dwooooooo!!!!! (Madeleine Kahn from Blazing Saddles voice, when looking at Cleavon Little's Schizengruben)

Holy shit, just checked out IMDB and it says she's the first billed cast in the upcoming TV series, Rome as Atia of the Julii! How's THAT for spotting talent! I should be a Casting Director, and not be picked by them to play Hospital Porters or a Mental Patient at the end of Basic Instinct 2, where Sharon Stone wins by sticking the hero into this mental home, as she walks free. Spoiler late alert.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Robert Patrick
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Next

Return to Actor Discussion