Actors who should be BIGGER.

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 pm

I always dug Michael Wincott from The Crow. Funny, his usually unique voice sounds just like John Hurt on Halo-2
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 pm

I second that, I perk up if Michael Wincott shows up in a film. His Guy of Gisbourne is still the second best thing in Costner's Robin Hood.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Word
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:45 pm

Welcome back, Wonka.

Have some pie.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:47 pm

Dunno about you guys, but after his totally brilliant performance as Seargent Barnes in Platoon, I was always pissed off and dissapointed that Tom Berenger never really amounted to the successful actor that he should have been.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:48 pm

And punch!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Dunno about you guys, but after his totally brilliant performance as Seargent Barnes in Platoon, I was always pissed off and dissapointed that Tom Berenger never really amounted to the successful actor that he should have been.

Everybody gotta die sometime
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 pm

I think that Tom Berenger is the male Mariel Hemingway. I don't know, it just feels true in a Michael J. Fox-is-the-anti-Elvis kind of way.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:51 pm

wonkabar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Dunno about you guys, but after his totally brilliant performance as Seargent Barnes in Platoon, I was always pissed off and dissapointed that Tom Berenger never really amounted to the successful actor that he should have been.

Everybody gotta die sometime

And in some cases, come back as killer Zombies!

THREAD CROSSOVER!!! ARGGG!!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:55 pm

It's zombie-day in the zone
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby tangerine on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:16 am

tangerine wrote:Dylan Moran!

..how the fk do I get pics in here? my html isn't good enough for you guys?

heh... I'm such a glib.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:52 am

Nobody's mentioned whom i think is the greatest new talent in Britain...
This fella.

Fucking mesmeric.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175916/
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:57 am

Sam Rockwell...

Its simple.... he is amazing!

Plus anyone in a PT Anderson film. Although I guess Mr Hoffman is on his way. I know they all do well but I wish every film starred the PT Anderson crew!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:59 am

OH BTW Tot he guy above my last post: Yes yes yes - Paddy Considine isamazing! Dead Mans Shoes is ONE of the greatest non hollywood films in the lat decade ( I onl say NOn hollywood cos I love LOTR etc)

But as a drama it is only comparable to films such as Taxi Driver for is rawness and pure cinematic creativeness and beauty in hte face of brutality
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:04 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:I second that, I perk up if Michael Wincott shows up in a film. His Guy of Gisbourne is still the second best thing in Costner's Robin Hood.

"Why.......a spoon, cousin?"

Great fun. But what was Guy of Gisbourne doing in The Man in the Mask? :wink:

One of the best bits about Alien4 was having Wincott in it - he died too soon.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to regret posting this after reading the whole thread...but I will always say Michael Biehn. He SHOULD have done better...but didn't. I hope he is one of these that gets "rediscovered" in grizzly character roles and cameos later in life.

The daisy.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 am

Micheal Biehn is in Grindhouse and going by how Tarantino and Rodriguez help peoples careers (especially Tarantino) Biehn could be the next Meryl Streep. GET IN! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby tangerine on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:10 am

Proinsias wrote:Nobody's mentioned whom i think is the greatest new talent in Britain...
This fella.

Fucking mesmeric.

Oh he was brilliant in My Summer of Love - speaking of which, what about this little lady:

Might be thanks to Pawlikowski though. Genius. Anyone seen it?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:24 am

silentbobafett wrote:Micheal Biehn is in Grindhouse and going by how Tarantino and Rodriguez help peoples careers (especially Tarantino) Biehn could be the next Meryl Streep. GET IN! :-)

Thanks for the heads-up dude...I need to check that film out!

Anyone ever see a Biehn Straight to Video classic, "Deep Red"? I thought it weren't bad, weren't bad at all. It was the first film he made afer I shot him in the head.

The fact that he turned up in ClockStoppers made a terrible long-haul flight all the more uncomfortable.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:31 am

tangerine wrote:
Proinsias wrote:Nobody' s mentioned whom i think is the greatest new talent in Britain...
This fella.

Fucking mesmeric.

Oh he was brilliant in My Summer of Love - speaking of which, what about this little lady:

Might be thanks to Pawlikowski though. Genius. Anyone seen it?

I think I did mention her before somewhere here.

I checked on IMDB for the 2 actresses and they have got big things lined up for the future. Don't know much about Consandine, apart from a few lines of extremely high praise.

3 names I'm gonna be looking out for, especially 2 of them.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:27 pm

Doc Holliday wrote: Michael Biehn. He SHOULD have done better...but didn't. I hope he is one of these that gets "rediscovered" in grizzly character roles and cameos later in life.

The daisy.

"You still don't get it, do you? He'll find her. THAT'S WHAT HE DOES! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!!! You can't stop him. He'll wade through you, he'll reach down her throat, and PULL HER FUCKING HEART OUT!!!!"

I always think of that when the Biehnee comes up.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:50 am

This sort of breaks my heart a bit to post - and I've been in two minds about it...he's been in some BIG films already - but I always get the feeling the majority of people are still "Oh....its whatisface from thatfilmwesaw" whenever he appears on screen.

David Morse deserves better. Single-handedly saved "Proof of Life" from being unmitigated pap, in my opinion.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby happydude3 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Tim Roth. I remember thinking he and Gary Oldman were at one time the two greatest actors on the planet. Looking forward to this new Coppola film that stars him.
happydude3
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:16 pm

Was about to write Tim Roth, when you beat me to it, but just fantastic. The other being John Turturro i really liked him in Oh brother where art thou... Hopefully Transformers will give him a boost... (and please god, not suck...)
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:28 pm

Damn you Doc!!!

Got to David Morse before I did.

I was watching the dissapointing Down In The Valley the other week, and whilst Edward Norton was unfulfilling, I kept on thinking how great David Morse was in this, and how he kept that movie together. That guy gave such a solid, big performance (that sounds Dumbledore that) throughout and just kept on eating up all my attention whenever he was onscreen. He definitely got the biggest emotional reaction from me. I kept on thinking whilst watching the film, 'when's this guy gonna get the parts he deserves'? If I was making for a movie and my casting Director told me that we got David Morse for the lead role, I'd be thinking 'how perfect is that?'. Can't be that long before he gets more leading man stuff surely.

Anyway, nearly gorgot about Claudia Karvan. Ozzy actress who was Padme's sister in AOTC (cut out from the film - just like my barnstorming poorformance in the Naboo ship hangar!!!!! :evil:) and the TV series, 'The Secret Life Of Us'. Still doing TV still. Tut tut, should be bigger.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:31 pm

John C McGinley.

A good turn in Platoon and Any Given Sunday... brief in Se7en.

Unfortunately he will probably get Cox-esque roles in the future.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:45 pm

Who's the intense guy from American beauty (the one with all the video recordings) I thought he was very good. And haven't seen him in a great deal of other things.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Wes Bentley? He's been around, though not very visible; he was in The Four Feathers a couple years ago, and he's playing a bad guy in Ghost Rider next year. Supposedly WB was looking at him when they were casting Batman, but that could just be a rumor.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 pm

That's the one. Not all too pleased about him being in the ghostrider movie though, i've become wary of comic book movies since the last few have not lived up to expectation. Still, i really do hope that i'm wrong though.... Thanks for the info though :wink:
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:27 am

I watched Mousehunt yesterday on TV and now I keep thinking that Lee Evans either gets far less roles than he should or is hiding from me in movies I don't watch. I only remember seeing him in three movies and none of them was shot in this millenium.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:42 am

Alexander Siddig.

Saw him the other day in Syriana. He's so charismatic. It's something about his eyes, I think. They have this... I don't know. But whatever it is, I couldn't take my eyes off the guy. A stop at IMDb tells me that he did some time on "Star Trek" as well, but not a whole lot else.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:55 am

Second on the Siddig love.
Against my wishes and much to my undying shame I have watched a lot of Star Trek over the years, and I was dismayed when Siddig seemed to disappear after his tenure.

Also, his name came in handy in helping me remember the Wittig reaction.

Although he's still working and doing a lot of voicework, I wish Clancy Brown were bigger and that he'd do more live-action.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Saffy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 pm

Aamir Kahn
James Marsters
Nathon Fillion
Gale Harrold ( Wyatt Earp Now!)

Um...I don't think Brandon Routh can get an...bigger :lol:
Saffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tuffy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi all! I've got 2:

Tara Fitzgerald. She played Hugh Grant's wife in Sirens. For a long time I thought she and Kate Beckinsale were the same person, but then Beckinsale turned into Hollywood's little princess and Fitzgerald vanished. The only other thing I've seen her in was some horrid sci-fi TV movie, I can't even remember what. Also: Beckinsale sucks.

Melanie Lynskey. She was in Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet and she can sulk like nobody's business. She was a stepsister in Ever After but it was a crap part. Also, looking at IMDB I find she's in a 2007 release called...

Itty Bitty Titty Committee!
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tuffy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:32 pm

Oh! Also:

Jake Weber. So tasty. Few men can be sexy while admitting they want to get spanked, but he pulled it off in Dangerous Beauty. And with a bad haircut, too.
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:24 pm

Yeah, Melanie Lynsky! I remember wondering what happened to her after Heavenly Creatures too. Last movie I saw her in was Shattered Glass, where she had a fairly small role. 'Least it was a good movie though.

She's also got a recurring stint on that CBS show "Two and a Half Men." I'm pretty sure that's her, right? The sitcom's not so hot. 'Least it's a fairly big role though. :wink:

What is this Itty Bitty Titty Commitee? I know I just looked up an actor/actress who's in that the other day.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tuffy on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 pm

No clue, but that phrase is always funny

Did Lynskey have a good part in Shattered Glass?
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:24 pm

It was... I wouldn't call it thankless, but the part itself was pretty bland. Probably not rewarding if you're a Lynskey fan. She had maybe 10 lines in the entire movie, and five of them were in one scene.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:46 am

So in the spirit of this thread, here's USA Today's list of Summer Movie Scene Stealers.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tangerine on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:27 pm

Takeshi! Well, I guess he's pretty big in Japan, but he never really made it here, did he? Not to Sweden, anyway. Anyone seen the brilliant Too Tired to Die?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 pm

I know he has a loyal cult following - but what was the story with Clancy Brown? what happened to him between Highlander and the film I was next aware of him, that being Shawshank.

wow - just went to IMDB. That dude has done a lot of voiceover work for animated series. Pay must be good.

OK...so he hasn't exactly been out of work....but somehow I still feel robbed of a really interesting talent from the big screen.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I know he has a loyal cult following - but what was the story with Clancy Brown? what happened to him between Highlander and the film I was next aware of him, that being Shawshank.

wow - just went to IMDB. That dude has done a lot of voiceover work for animated series. Pay must be good.

OK...so he hasn't exactly been out of work....but somehow I still feel robbed of a really interesting talent from the big screen.

Agreed.... Clancy Brown is pretty much stout in anything he does. The Kurgan is in my top 5 of all time evil bastards... Great stuff.

Also Lex Luthor is Superman and Justice League just isn't the same without him......

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:02 pm

Why is it that Andre Braugher kicks ass in pretty much everything that he appears in on the TV, but gets ZERO love from the film casting agents?

Sidekick in 'City of Angels', Boat Captain in 'Poseidon' - jesus, give this guy some decent stuff. Maybe he can get a shot at all the dramatic parts that used to get offered to Wesley Snipes before he became a right-to-the-shelf-buddy of Steven Seagal and C. Thomas Howell's.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I know he has a loyal cult following - but what was the story with Clancy Brown? what happened to him between Highlander and the film I was next aware of him, that being Shawshank.

Have you seen Carnivale? He gets to play small, big and scenery eater. I'm currently half through the second (and final :( ) season.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby tylerfulltilt on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:33 pm

In my opinion clive owen isn't in nearly enough movies
tylerlizenby.wordpress.com

Wherein I attempt to say thing about movies I've seen.
tylerfulltilt
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Are you actually Clive Owen, though?

Cause you know, that doesn't count.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:56 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Anyone ever see a Biehn Straight to Video classic, "Deep Red"? I thought it weren't bad, weren't bad at all. It was the first film he made afer I shot him in the head.

I saw that movie...
Wasn't too bad...

But throughout the whole movie I kept thinking that it looked and felt nothing like an Argento film...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:43 am

DennisMM wrote:

Have you seen Carnivale? He gets to play small, big and scenery eater. I'm currently half through the second (and final :( ) season.

Now I DO want to see that show - it looked very good (I lost satellite TV just before its run began - I don't think its hit terrestial over here yet).

Its got the little dude from Twin Peaks in as well hasn't it? Love freaky weird stuff...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:33 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

I saw that movie...
Wasn't too bad...

But throughout the whole movie I kept thinking that it looked and felt nothing like an Argento film...

Yo-ho-ho-ho! I notice from Biehn's blurb on IMDB, however, that he was in "Havoc" only recently.

You've been doing the "other" fluffing again, haven't you? :shock:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

Now I DO want to see that show - it looked very good (I lost satellite TV just before its run began - I don't think its hit terrestial over here yet).

Its got the little dude from Twin Peaks in as well hasn't it? Love freaky weird stuff...

My wife read some material in which Brown said he wanted to care for his children as much as he reasonably could. That would explain all the voice work -- it doesn't take much time to do a lot of it.

Carnivale has a great cast.

Nick Stahl
Clancy Brown
Michael J. Anderson
Adrienne Barbeau
Patrick Bachau
Amy Madigan
Ralph Waite
John Savage
and the voice of Linda Hunt

Also lots of character actors I'd never seen before, including
Clea Duvall
Tim DeKay
Toby Huss
Cynthia Ettinger

Check it out.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:48 pm

DennisMM wrote:My wife read some material in which Brown said he wanted to care for his children as much as he reasonably could. That would explain all the voice work -- it doesn't take much time to do a lot of it.

Well its hard to begrudge a man that - I feel like the original selfish fan now :oops:

Thanks for the recommendation Dennis...its on the list

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion