Actors who should be BIGGER.

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Re: Actors who should be BIGGER.

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:09 am

Oh shush. Ok I'll take your word about the accent. But you really don't think Roth can provide a proper performance?
Made in Britain
Rob Roy
To Kill A King
Youth Without Youth
Gridlock'd
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
To name but a few. He's aces in all of 'em.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:49 am

TonyWilson wrote:Oh shush. Ok I'll take your word about the accent. But you really don't think Roth can provide a proper performance?
Made in Britain
Rob Roy
To Kill A King
Youth Without Youth
Gridlock'd
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
To name but a few. He's aces in all of 'em.

That's not a lot. Rob Roy was the exception.

I remember his awfulness in Hulk spoke volumes about his capabilities as an actor, which override a lot of his good stuff. That was the bottom line for me. I could come up with other bad or underwhelming or overrated performances but it would take some time of elaboration. Basically, as good as he may be in some of these films, he's not on the calibre of Gary Oldman or deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence, post or manner as Gary.

Of course I remember how much of a comic failure he was in Four Rooms too. One of the most cringeful comic performances I've seen on screen. Again, overrides the good.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:42 pm

TonyWilson wrote:His accent in Dogs is pretty good tho isn't it?

No, it is not. I still love the guy though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I also liked him a lot in Vatel.

Although one could say his slimy aristocrat is pretty close to Rob Roy.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentScream on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Roth has never bettered Made In England and that was made, when, back in the 80's or something? He added nothing special to Resevoir Dogs and was half decent in Rob Roy, a pretty mediocre movie anyway. Though, to be fair, I haven't seen his work in those Herzog and Wender flicks. He career just seemed to, I dunno, flatline somewhere.

How about a big up for Paddy Considine? The true heir to Gaz Oldman and Danny Day Lewis.
Love this guy's work to bits.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 pm

SilentScream wrote:How about a big up for Paddy Considine? The true heir to Gaz Oldman and Danny Day Lewis.

Who?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Al Shut wrote:
SilentScream wrote:How about a big up for Paddy Considine? The true heir to Gaz Oldman and Danny Day Lewis.

Who?

Check out Dead Man's Shoes for a taste of Paddy's work. He deserves ups. Lots of 'em.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby SilentScream on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Al Shut wrote:

Who?

Jesus H Christ...................

Never has the title of this thread been more appropiate.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Roth's voice was also well forced in Planet of the Apes. Sounded like he was trying to have a shit in every strained "I'm aannggryyyy!!!!" line.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Al Shut wrote:
SilentScream wrote:How about a big up for Paddy Considine? Love this guy's work to bits.

Who?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Al Shut wrote:

Who?

Check out Dead Man's Shoes for a taste of Paddy's work. He deserves ups. Lots of 'em.

I saw Paddy in Cinderella Man. I don't think I'd ever heard of him before, but he convinced me that he was a 1930s New Yorker. Then I saw an interview with him and heard his real accent, and I just about did a spit take. Maybe Tim Roth can't do accents well (and certainly guys like Kevin Costner are hopeless at it), but Paddy very definitely CAN.

I was impressed, anyway.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 pm

accents, schmaccents

no wonder I usually stay away from actors discussions
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Elwenaur on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:07 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:His accent in Dogs is pretty good tho isn't it? Been ages since I saw it.

It's fucking terrible. So forced. Hardly anything I've seen this actor do hasn't been.

Yes. It is terrible. I have never heard anyone speak in that manner. But, to me, he seems less forced and more like a theater actor who didn't quite tone it down enough for cinema.

Forgive me for mentioning his name near Oldman's. I did not mean to suggest that Roth deserves an Oscar. No way.

I remember reading somewhere that Harvey Keitel kind of took him under his wing and told him to stay away from shallow films that offer a lot of money, because they ruin you. I think after a decade or so he thought "screw that advice" and started dishing out terrible performances for money (Hulk, etc.).

That brings me to a happier note though: Harvey Keitel is a brilliant actor who definitely deserves more notoriety.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 am

Elwenaur wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:His accent in Dogs is pretty good tho isn't it? Been ages since I saw it.

It's fucking terrible. So forced. Hardly anything I've seen this actor do hasn't been.

Yes. It is terrible. I have never heard anyone speak in that manner. But, to me, he seems less forced and more like a theater actor who didn't quite tone it down enough for cinema.

Forgive me for mentioning his name near Oldman's. I did not mean to suggest that Roth deserves an Oscar. No way.

I remember reading somewhere that Harvey Keitel kind of took him under his wing and told him to stay away from shallow films that offer a lot of money, because they ruin you. I think after a decade or so he thought "screw that advice" and started dishing out terrible performances for money (Hulk, etc.).

That brings me to a happier note though: Harvey Keitel is a brilliant actor who definitely deserves more notoriety.

oh like Harvey Keitel needs to be giving out that kind of advice *cough*NationalTreasure*cough*NationalTreasure2*cough*
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 am

Harvey Keitel probably falls into that same category as Sam Jackson and Michael Caine. Most people respect their ability and know they can give good committed performances but these guys just work too much to really become the big prestige names. Audiences just see them too often and in small thankless roles and in bad movies.

Keitel has had his share of attention-grabbing roles in attention-grabbing movies (mostly in the 90s), it's just that inbetween doing those prestige movies he does 500 other stupid bit parts in lame blockbusters or failed 90s indy flicks. If Keitel's resume was just stuff like BAD LIEUTENANT, THE PIANO, FINGERS, and HOLY SMOKE he would probably be thought of as the same type of prestige actor as Daniel Day Lewis. But Lewis carefully chooses his roles, makes one movie every four years, and makes a big show of sleeping in a sub-zero dumpster eating only maggots to prepare for that role. So Lewis has the artsy mystique, and Keitel is just seen as a working actor for hire.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby SilentScream on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 am

Sam Rockwell, too, is a geezer who I admire. First saw him in Moon and was well impressed. Checked out Snow Angels, Conviction after and the guy's good. Very good.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Be sure to check out Rockwell's star turn in the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
Last edited by Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:51 pm

SilentScream wrote:Sam Rockwell, too, is a geezer who I admire. First saw him in Moon and was well impressed. Checked out Snow Angels, Conviction after and the guy's good. Very good.

Like all of his co-stars, Rockwell rocked in Galaxy Quest.
Heh. Rockwell.
Heh. Rockwell.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 am

'Escobar' Star Benicio Del Toro on the Method, Playing Bad Guys and Considering TV and Broadway
"Even when you're playing a horrible person, you have to be having fun playing that horrible person. It makes no sense, it's kind of crazy and schizophrenic, but it's like — it's acting."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:54 am

TheButcher wrote:'Escobar' Star Benicio Del Toro on the Method, Playing Bad Guys and Considering TV and Broadway
"Even when you're playing a horrible person, you have to be having fun playing that horrible person. It makes no sense, it's kind of crazy and schizophrenic, but it's like — it's acting."

ACTING!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:49 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:'Escobar' Star Benicio Del Toro on the Method, Playing Bad Guys and Considering TV and Broadway

ACTING!

"Yeah that's the ticket".
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 am

In appreciation of Eva Green, one of Hollywood's great underutilized assets
'Penny Dreadful' is available now for Netflix subscribers who want to catch up
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:50 am

TheButcher wrote:In appreciation of Eva Green, one of Hollywood's great underutilized assets

Jeebus Drew, close your fucking legs when you're talking to a beautiful woman like that. Disrespectful i tells ya!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

TheButcher wrote:In appreciation of Eva Green, one of Hollywood's great underutilized assets

i would utilize her assets. i would utilize her assets SO MUCH.

so sorry wrote:Jeebus Drew, close your fucking legs when you're talking to a beautiful woman like that. Disrespectful i tells ya!

it's hard to cross your legs when you're sporting a boner. his 3" mcweeny was in the way.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah well, instead of writing predictable low blow humour sexual jokes, maybe you will appreciate that Eva Green is one of the most watchable and engrossing actresses out there for her acting talents as well as looks and go with that.

Drew makes a great point as I agree with very consciously. Only the other day I was thinking how Eva is pretty much the most watchable person in the films she stars in, but her films underperform. 300, Sin City, Kingdom of Heaven, Dark Shadows, and especially Penny Dreadful.

This 3 season show getting cut short in it's prime due to low ratings, this was THE showcase for this actress if there ever was one. After 3 seasons of viewing I ma convinced this is one massive tour de force piece of acting from her that was is a classic example of an actor that deserved every bit of the nominations or actual awards that others recieved in the Emmys and Golden Globes, yet she wasn't nominated at all.

She acts her socks off in that show and even goes to some high OTT extreme places that would be unintentionally comical for a lesser talented actress to attempt, but Eva is so great at playing edgy and demonic that she successfully avoids such humiliation and instead just scares and disturbs the hell out of you.

Her being tormented, molested or possessed by the Devil gives you scenes that will shock you vocally, and don't get me started on Blade of Grass, Episode 4 (I think) in Season 3 where just her and Rory Kinnear, 2 actors in a white room for pretty much the whole running time, is one of the most 'enjoyable' hours of TV I've ever seen. True acting pushed to the edge with what she does there. Makes for a very touching and sad episode that many other actresses of her star billing would not make work so convincingly and movingly.

So please stop treating her with such infantile sexual humour please - and go watch this show and her other work with a more appreciating eye.

Smug arrogant stuck up poster even more annoyingly defending a woman than Havoc's feminist self on another social media site does, is done with you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Yeah well, instead of writing predictable low blow humour sexual jokes, maybe you will appreciate that Eva Green is one of the most watchable and engrossing actresses out there for her acting talents as well as looks and go with that.

i'd take a low blow from her any day.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:04 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Yeah well, instead of writing predictable low blow humour sexual jokes, maybe you will appreciate that Eva Green is one of the most watchable and engrossing actresses out there for her acting talents as well as looks and go with that.

i'd take a low blow from her any day.

Mama - why, do I write, on this site?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion