Actors who should be BIGGER.

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:23 pm

DJ Qualls definitely needs to be seen more (and typecast less) than he currently is. I don't care what any of y'all say, dude's got charisma.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:DJ Qualls definitely needs to be seen more (and typecast less) than he currently is. I don't care what any of y'all say, dude's got charisma.

dude's also got an eating disorder.

EDIT: "Actor's who should be BIGGER"
Ribs, are you making a funny?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:31 pm

LOLZORS. Well, Verne Troyer was already taken...

Nah. I actually do think the guy should get better roles. Does he really have an eating disorder, by the way?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:35 pm

I don't know about an eating disorder, but nobody who is making money from hollywood should look like he just stepped off the train from Austwitz.
maybe he wouldn't get typecast as the skinny nerdy guy if he wasn't so skinny and nerdy looking?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:42 pm

Nerd-ist!

I mean I'm not saying he should be an action hero anytime soon, but maybe he could play a guy whose nerdiness is secondary to the character itself?

Instead, he gets stuff like "I can hack into the Pentagon for you. But as a reward I want the complete collection of SpongeBob Squarepants and a lifetime supply of Hot Pockets" and "I had sex... with a girl!" :roll: His dialogue might as well be "Nerd, nerd, I'm a nerd, nerdy nerd nerd nerd nerd."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:47 pm

what has he done to give you the impression that he can do anything outside the nerd-realm of acting?

and what the fuck is wrong with a lifetime supply of hot pockets???
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MonsieurReynard on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:49 pm

A lifetime supply of any foodstuff would get boring after a while, regardless of its variety of flavours or fresh baked taste.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 pm

so sorry wrote:what has he done to give you the impression that he can do anything outside the nerd-realm of acting?

Nothing, actually. I think that he has a certain (nerdy) quality to him that wouldn't work if it were applied to certain types of characters. But I think he's got this sort of charisma that makes him very watchable, and the fact that the roles he plays are all one-dimensional seems like a waste, to me. I don't know, does that make sense?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:22 pm

i'd love to know how Dj Qualls (can he have a worser hollywood name?) popped into your head today...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:32 pm

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned him in some other thread I was reading, actually; don't remember which one though. It was either that or the crazy dream I had that did it...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:24 pm

I've always been a little pissed off that Irene Jacob, hot French actress, never became as high profile as she deserved to have been whilst Juliette Binoche who I always thought was a bit cold and wooden, (A French version of Andie Macdowell if you will) got such great big parts.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MonsieurReynard on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:41 pm

I'd also like to add Tom Waits to the list, mainly because I think he's awesome. Also, he should do a buddy movie with Christopher Walken and Christopher Lloyd to form the most mental film ever.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 pm

MonsieurReynard wrote:I'd also like to add Tom Waits to the list, mainly because I think he's awesome. Also, he should do a buddy movie with Christopher Walken and Christopher Lloyd to form the most mental film ever.

Add the kookie Shelly Duvall as love interest, set it in a futuristic Lapland and have David Lynch direct it. Or Lars Von Trier......
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I saw My Best Friend's Wedding on TV a week or so ago. Where has Rupert Everett been these days? He's so good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:I saw My Best Friend's Wedding on TV a week or so ago. Where has Rupert Everett been these days? He's so good.

Biting pillows I suppose...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:53 pm

MonsieurReynard wrote:I'd also like to add Tom Waits to the list, mainly because I think he's awesome. Also, he should do a buddy movie with Christopher Walken and Christopher Lloyd to form the most mental film ever.

you just gave me a geek-gasm. that would be...words fail me.

it was already wonderful, but Tom Waits pushed Bram Stoker's Dracula into the category of transcendental (before Keanu pulled it back to just wonderful. I'm still not sure whose accent was worse- his or Don Cheadle's in Oceans)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Ribbons wrote:I saw My Best Friend's Wedding on TV a week or so ago. Where has Rupert Everett been these days? He's so good.

Meh... he's a sort of a like a the persona non a grata a 'cos of a his memoirs inna which a he skewered much of a the industry, eh?

Goddamn putz.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:05 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

you just gave me a geek-gasm. that would be...words fail me.

it was already wonderful, but Tom Waits pushed Bram Stoker's Dracula into the category of transcendental (before Keanu pulled it back to just wonderful. I'm still not sure whose accent was worse- his or Don Cheadle's in Oceans)

I figured he was gonna be a massive movie star when I first saw him in Down By Law, but apart from that spot as a mad wheelchair-bound bum in Fisher King, and also his turn in Short Cuts, the guy hasn't really lived up to his potential.

It's not like he's got any other talents like playing golf or singing or anything. :roll: Get workin' Waitsy!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:42 pm

I saw the Jane Eyre mini series a couple weeks back, and gods dammit why isn't Toby Stephens a bigger star? He was a better Rochester than I could imagine. Dark, brooding, but still funny. Rather bumbling even.
Just look at that ponam.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:56 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I saw the Jane Eyre mini series a couple weeks back, and gods dammit why isn't Toby Stephens a bigger star? He was a better Rochester than I could imagine. Dark, brooding, but still funny. Rather bumbling even.
Just look at that ponam.

Must admit, what I saw of this series and this actor, I was wondering who earth the guy was. I really dug the performance he gave. Very heavily showing at first a distant but reassuring character, showing a strong, burdened, brooding and even grumpy a person that deep down was actually quite a decent guy. Again I kept wondering who this actor was or wether he would be a performer worth keeping an eye out for.

Then I only found out the other day that he was actually the bad guy from Die Another Day, a performance worlds apart from Rochester and one I wasn't too keen on but I guess now that's not really his fault, as he was only doing what he had to do to portray a rather annoying blueprint of a villain and to follow what ridiculous instructions he was given to bring him to life. I can say this now as I have more confidence in him as an actor after Jane Eyre, a programme I simply would have turned over after 5 minutes if this guy hadn't been so intoxicating.

Well he went from weasley and slightly irritating to actually pulling off heavyweight, so I guess he's got more versatility that I would have thought. So yeah, an actor to pay attention to.

Anyway, never mind that shit! Check out Sam Grey, who plays the proper prim and proper, seemingly quiet, waif and innocent but I reckon deep down is a right rude 'n' wild 'n' loud 'n' crazy proper goer and screaming mad mofoing nymphoniac(!!!:twisted: ), Alice Chantry on BBC1's Casualty. UKERS!!! SHE'S ON RIGHT NOW!!!!

More details here.

Damn, she's girlfriend material!! Sweet 'n' redhead - and thin!!!!!

Please make her work more Movie God!! If only to make her results more widespread on Google Image search or that I could be some drooling wet pain in the ass stalky extra on anything else that she does aprt from this show, that I am willing to even sleep with Banthafodder in his bed in Bristol, just so I can be on this programme and hopefully on her, seeing as it is filmed there 'n' all.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby LaDracul on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:23 pm

Let's see...

Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt, AKA The Mighty Boosh-They're big in the UK, but there's a lot who love 'em here in the US and all we have to rely on is YouTube for their antics.

And of course, three of the funniest Mo-Fos ever-
Patton Oswalt
Brian Posehn
David Cross

And for more foreigners, I'm going with David Tennant and Richard Roxburgh.

And for the ladies, Scottish comedianne Rosie Cavaliero. Her performance as Officer Frank in "Feel the Force" makes me laugh. XD
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 pm

Should there be a companion thread for "actors who should be smaller"? Maybe so. I think, for example, that Vin Diesel would be hilarious at about 5' 2".

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:41 pm

minstrel wrote:Should there be a companion thread for "actors who should be smaller"? Maybe so. I think, for example, that Vin Diesel would be hilarious at about 5' 2".

Evil chucklechucklechuckle!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:37 am

Tom Hollander

I think I mentioned something about him being the best part of Pirates 3 in the review thread... and he was also the best part of Pride and Prejudice. I watched the Ridley Scott movie A Good Year the other day and he has a hilarious supporting role in that. That's all I've seen him in, but each performance differs greatly from one role to the next. He's very versatile. I know it's not reasonable to expect a guy like this to be a leading man, but I wouldn't mind seeing him turn up in more films.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby LaDracul on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:51 am

Hollander showed up on an episode of "American Dad" as a knight who tries to convince Francine to turn their game of "Battleship" into a strip version. Best thing he's done IMO.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I find out Russell Brand (Who most of you Brits know) was in an AMERICAN produced movie. ("Forgetting Sarah Marshall")

(For those of you who can't pick him out, he's the one that looks like he doesn't brush his hair much.)

I'm hoping for a British Comedy Explosion in the states...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:21 am

I once mused that Brand might be a good Withnail if they ever remade Withnail & I...

I know he has a part in the new St Trinian's movie, but I doubt I'll watch that unless it comes on TV, which won't be for at least a year, I imagine.

I think his improv skills are pretty impressive, but strangely a lot of his stand-up performances have been lacklustre...with the result that TV bosses in the UK really like him and want to give him airtime, but they have struggled to find a format which really works for him (apart from Big Brother's Big Mouth, which suffered when he departed)

I think his best performance of late has been as Maddie McCann's suspected abductor....

:lol:..............sorry.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:07 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I once mused that Brand might be a good Withnail if they ever remade Withnail & I...

I know he has a part in the new St Trinian's movie, but I doubt I'll watch that unless it comes on TV, which won't be for at least a year, I imagine.

I think his improv skills are pretty impressive, but strangely a lot of his stand-up performances have been lacklustre...with the result that TV bosses in the UK really like him and want to give him airtime, but they have struggled to find a format which really works for him (apart from Big Brother's Big Mouth, which suffered when he departed)

I think his best performance of late has been as Maddie McCann's suspected abductor....

:lol:..............sorry.

I gotta work wit this unfunny gentleman in Gulliver's Travels all Summer long. I never did find this wanker funny. How do you like him now, TITG?

TITG?!?!

TIIIIIIIT GEEEEEEEE!!!!! CAN YOU HEAR MEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

I'm watching Goldeneye right now. Isabella Scorupco. Adoreable, so beautiful, so many other adjectives I say out loud whilst watching her - plus - in this, and in Reign of Fire too - she's so good. Nothing failing in her performance at all. I think she's very strong and effective in this, and definitely one of the better Bond girls and sharing the female eye candy with Xenia Onatopp, you've got a real hard choice as to who to prefer, if prefer one over he other at all.

I IMDB'd Isabella's filmography before and since Goldeneye and am a bit dismayed to see she hasn't done much since. Some foreign movies, some bigger worldwide ones, like Exorcist:The Beginning???? I'm like 'why'? Did she not work so much because she's a European 'actress' that actually was really a model? European actresses rarely work a lot in big international English speaking movies but she's s good in Goldeneye and so gooorgeous that you'd think she would have got more parts. Why not?

I keep thinking, that if I were to cast some faces for a movie, I'd put her on the list and cast her probably.

And yes, she STILL looks good. So why not her work more?

(Sean Bean can fark off though!)

EDIT. Coming back to post after watching Goldeneye and then going back to IMDB I found this on her...

'Was offered the lead female role in L.A. Confidential (1997), but turned it down. The role went to Kim Basinger.

Was offered the lead female role in The Mask of Zorro (1998), but turned it down. The role went to Catherine Zeta-Jones.
'

Nice to know that she WAS actually in demand and wanted by the big movies and parts. Seemed she isn't bigger a name by choice then? Good for her. Seems no more though. As long as you're happy, Izabella. As long as you're happy. But now, apart from putting your other movies on my Lovefilm list, I guess this is Goodbye... :P

EDIT. DAMN! Can't get any of her European movies on there either now. How can you DO this to me, Izabella!?!? This really IS, Goodbye. My lover who could have been - but never was. :P
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re:

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 am

wonkabar wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote: Michael Biehn. He SHOULD have done better...but didn't. I hope he is one of these that gets "rediscovered" in grizzly character roles and cameos later in life.

The daisy.

"You still don't get it, do you? He'll find her. THAT'S WHAT HE DOES! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!!! You can't stop him. He'll wade through you, he'll reach down her throat, and PULL HER FUCKING HEART OUT!!!!"

I always think of that when the Biehnee comes up.

Fantastic interview with Biehn on the mothersite

Great insight into his career...can't wait for part 2 of the interview.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re:

Postby SilentScream on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 am

minstrel wrote:Should there be a companion thread for "actors who should be smaller"? Maybe so. I think, for example, that Vin Diesel would be hilarious at about 5' 2".

How about Sigourney Weaver at barbie size complete with robotic titties?
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: Actors who should be BIGGER.

Postby SilentScream on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am

Mark Ruffalo.
Paul Dano.
Andy Serkis (deffo).
Michael Pitt.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

Paul Bettany.
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Vern Troyer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Bah!1 That's the second post, you putz!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:Bah!1 That's the second post, you putz!

Yeah, but that makes it a classic joke, worthy of praise and repeatednessitude.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:54 pm

so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Bah!1 That's the second post, you putz!

Yeah, but that makes it a classic joke, worthy of praise and repeatednessitude.

no, the classic answer would be kenny baker. or warwick davis.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ye Black Knight on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Forsooth! This knight woulde delight'eth in viewing Thandie Newton with more regularity!

[especially in more nude'ly roles!]

This post now concludeth!
VIEW THIS KNIGHT'S WEB'TALES OF METAL, PRESENT'ETH'D IN YE ART OF PURE CINEMA:
http://www.heavymetalsuperstar.com
Ye Black Knight
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I can't think of one role I've enjoyed Thandie Newton in
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Jonathan Lipnicki, that cute kid from Jerry McGuire and Stuart Little, has definitely GOTTEN bigger!
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 pm

minstrel wrote:Jonathan Lipnicki, that cute kid from Jerry McGuire and Stuart Little, has definitely GOTTEN bigger!

Who joined Fight Club?
Gotta admit, guy is ripped. Serious dedication.

The Carrot-top follow up photo splashed lunch all over the frakking carpet.......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby SilentScream on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 am

Wouldn't throw him out of bed. :wink:
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Elwenaur on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 am

I used to notoriously rep Gary Oldman. I'd list off his filmography to people who couldn't believe it. Sure, most had seen a good chunk of his resume, but he's just so freaking amazing that the recognition never hit them from character to character.
In the past few years he's gained some attention in pop culture (mostly thanks to Harry Potter and Batman). It's kind of gut-wrenching when people say "oh you mean that guy who played SIRIUS BLACK!" but if it takes that kind of mass attention to get him to a place where he is front-and-center ("Tinker Tailor...") then I say all the power to him.
It's about time he won an Oscar.

Also, Tim Roth.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Tom Hardy.

Sorry, just read the TDKR thread. ;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Tom Hardy.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Well played sir!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:41 pm

so sorry wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Tom Hardy.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Well played sir!

Very well played! :lol: :lol:
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Elwenaur wrote:Gary Oldman.

Yes.
Elwenaur wrote:Tim Roth.

No.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Elwenaur on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 am

Really? No love for Tim Roth?
Sure, he's a bit quirky and his accent-work kind of sucks (along with his TV show), and maybe he's better suited for stage rather than cinema...but he's just so loveable. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern anyone?
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:27 am

Hells yes to Tim Roth.
My favourite story concerning him goes like this

::ring ring ring::

Roth: "Hello"
Speilberg: "Hi TIm, it's Steven Spielberg here, how would you like to be in my new movie about the Holocaust"
Roth: "Sounds very interesting"
Spielberg: "Good, good. Can you do a German accent?"
Roth: "Which part of Germany?"
Spielberg: "Er..."

::Roth hangs up::

You don't get awesomeness like that from just anyone.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am

TonyWilson wrote:Hells yes to Tim Roth.
My favourite story concerning him goes like this

::ring ring ring::

Roth: "Hello"
Speilberg: "Hi TIm, it's Steven Spielberg here, how would you like to be in my new movie about the Holocaust"
Roth: "Sounds very interesting"
Spielberg: "Good, good. Can you do a German accent?"
Roth: "Which part of Germany?"
Spielberg: "Er..."

::Roth hangs up::

You don't get awesomeness like that from just anyone.

Er, well I'd expect that from someone who can at least do a decent generic American accent in Reservoir Dogs or accents in other films, not Tim Roth.

gentleman.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 am

His accent in Dogs is pretty good tho isn't it? Been ages since I saw it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 am

TonyWilson wrote:His accent in Dogs is pretty good tho isn't it? Been ages since I saw it.

It's fucking terrible. So forced. Hardly anything I've seen this actor do hasn't been.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion