Name your Institution here

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:29 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Sam Rockwell fits in here I think, he was great in The Green Mile (whatever you think of the film) and Box Of Moonlight, and he was truly brilliant in Lawn Dogs.

I liked him a Zaphod, even though most people hate that flick.

How about Guy Pearce? He's been in some big films (LA Confidential) but has been overshadowed (Russell Crowe). Memento and two brothers he led but they are relatively small films. His breakout is yet to come.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
cap wrote:Danny Aiello - The Professional, Do the Right Thing. Always very solid.

Good call Cap!

How about Dennis Farina, always excellent, but rarely a headliner. Great work in Snatch, Big Trouble, Midnight Run, Manhunter...ect.

I may just have to marry you for that Vegeta...Farina is exactly the kind of guy this thread is designed for. Sheer brilliance. I understand for the longest time he was a real-life cop...seen some bad shit too, lived the life...then got into acting! Remember him in the TV Show Crime Story? that show was a classic...and so many other familiar faces were in it...not least of all Buffalo "it puts the lotion on its skin" Bill.

I loved Farina in Midnight Run..LEGEND!

Why, Doc Holiday, I do believe I have the vapors...

IPAMPILASH...sorry dude, been defending X3's honour on another thread. You promised you'd slip some Rohypnol in my drink next time you cad.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Vegeta wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Sam Rockwell fits in here I think, he was great in The Green Mile (whatever you think of the film) and Box Of Moonlight, and he was truly brilliant in Lawn Dogs.

I liked him a Zaphod, even though most people hate that flick.

How about Guy Pearce? He's been in some big films (LA Confidential) but has been overshadowed (Russell Crowe). Memento and two brothers he led but they are relatively small films. His breakout is yet to come.

Defo...LA should've been his breakout, but yup, outmanouvered by the Crowe. Memento was just a class pic. I still haven't watched it in chronological order....better, worse or just different? your views please..

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:32 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
cap wrote:Danny Aiello - The Professional, Do the Right Thing. Always very solid.

Good call Cap!

How about Dennis Farina, always excellent, but rarely a headliner. Great work in Snatch, Big Trouble, Midnight Run, Manhunter...ect.

I may just have to marry you for that Vegeta...Farina is exactly the kind of guy this thread is designed for. Sheer brilliance. I understand for the longest time he was a real-life cop...seen some bad shit too, lived the life...then got into acting! Remember him in the TV Show Crime Story? that show was a classic...and so many other familiar faces were in it...not least of all Buffalo "it puts the lotion on its skin" Bill.

I loved Farina in Midnight Run..LEGEND!

Why, Doc Holiday, I do believe I have the vapors...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Farina is really good.

Powers Boothe is real good one for this list. Never a star, always solid. (Tombstone, Red Dawn, Rapid Fire, etc......)

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:35 pm

cap wrote:Powers Boothe is real good one for this list. Never a star, always solid. (Tombstone, Red Dawn, Rapid Fire, etc......)

Hereby admitted - great death scenes are a forte (Hell, I ain't even HEARD about anything like that...)

...and if nothing else your post gives me all the excuse I need to yell "WOLVERINEEEEEES!"

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:38 pm

David Patrick Kelly...I've seen him in quite a few films over the years, but the one role you definitely remember him for is the loco Luther from The Warriors (homicidal one who actually shoots down Cyrus, starting the whole thing off).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby cap on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Hereby admitted - great death scenes are a forte (Hell, I ain't even HEARD about anything like that...)

That is one of my favorite line, ever!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Ned Beatty.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:43 pm

cap wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

That is one of my favorite line, ever!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Ned Beatty.

And yet, now someone has....Feel the Power Cap! And just for you, one of my favourite Beatty moments outside of Homicide...:

Lex Luthor: Otisburg?
Otis: It's a little bitty place.
Lex Luthor: [Angrily] Otisburg?
Otis: Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:54 pm

i definitely second jonathan pryce.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm

Yaphet Kotto?

Long list of terrific performances, few leads. He was amazing as Idi Amin in Raid on Entebbe.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:03 pm

oh yeah, i also second ronnie cox.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:09 pm

minstrel wrote:Yaphet Kotto?

Long list of terrific performances, few leads. He was amazing as Idi Amin in Raid on Entebbe.

I enjoyed him best when inflated.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:12 pm

Here's one: CCH Pounder. She's always awesome but never the lead. The Shield, Demon Knight...um, I'm sure there's more.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:29 pm

one word:
drum
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:

one word:
drum

Agent Alonzo Mosely, F.B.I.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon May 19, 2008 11:45 pm

BUMP!

William Devane. He's another one who fits in here.
minstrel

Re: Name your Insitution here

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:So enough already. I'll start - Brian Dennehy. For those who don't recognise the name, the man was a stalwart - particularly of any formulaic movie made between 1980 and 1992. An absolutely enormous man, he can now be found slumming it in "Jack Reed 45: Badge of LiverSpots". And despite starring against so many big big names (and often acting them off the screen too - Presumed Innocent anyone?) it will perhaps be his oft-reprise divorced, haunted cop persona for which he will most be recognized. Got an old wooden desk, with a bottle of Jim Beam in one draw, badge and gun another, and a faded picture of your son/daughter (folded over to conceal the ex-wife)....then Dennehy was and still IS your man.

Check his filmography out and then let me know your favorite Institution of the modern day big screen.....

As Brian Dennehy said to Patton Oswalt at the Batman Begins Premiere..

"CHARACTER ACTORS! WHO GIVES A FUCK IF WE"RE F@T!"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue May 20, 2008 3:35 am

Bonus points to Mr. Kotto for being in line to the throne of England.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 am

I'd put James Woods in here - I saw an episode of SHARK a while ago. It was good, but for all the wrong reasons - James Woods starring as, well, James Woods.

I'd love to see him back on the big screen, not hamming it up, but putting in the sort of character roles that made him one of the best actors in the first place....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I'd put James Woods in here - I saw an episode of SHARK a while ago. It was good, but for all the wrong reasons - James Woods starring as, well, James Woods.

I'd love to see him back on the big screen, not hamming it up, but putting in the sort of character roles that made him one of the best actors in the first place....

Like Diggstown!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I'd put James Woods in here - I saw an episode of SHARK a while ago. It was good, but for all the wrong reasons - James Woods starring as, well, James Woods.

Like Diggstown!

no, like "Fast Walking"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 20, 2008 8:31 am

Peven wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Like Diggstown!

no, like "Fast Walking"

That is the precise film I was thinking of! To date, you're the only other person I've ever known to reference that great, great film - kudos!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Peven wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Like Diggstown!

no, like "Fast Walking"

That is the precise film I was thinking of! To date, you're the only other person I've ever known to reference that great, great film - kudos!

I don't know...

I hear people reference Diggstown all the time...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby instant_karma on Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 am

Kris Kristofferson.

I've never been able to work out why he wasn't more successful. Was he unable to commit to a movie career because of his music? Was he a victim of the curse of Heaven's Gate? Or would he just take any old part that was offered to him?

I don't know. All I know is that I wish quality to shit movie ratio on his CV was a bit more balanced in favour of quality.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DaleTremont on Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 am

Hell yes!

He is BONE.

I'd also say Elya Baskin. If you saw a movie with an evil Russian anytime during the nineties, I'd say there's about a 60% chance it was him.

Vincent Schiavelli probably also worth mentioning. No one ever remembers his name but I guarantee you whenver he pops up people are like, "Oh it's...that guy!"
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Do actors like Sam Waterston and Tom Skerritt count for this?

Some excellent performances, never particularly the main lead...yet never seemingly in the popular conciousness.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Tom Skerrit more than qualifies! That dude crops up time and time again. He alone almost made me not regret watching Texas Rangers last week.

Almost.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 20, 2008 3:04 pm

One guy I've seen in some stuff recently is Ciaran Hinds. Not too shabby.

And fuck off if you don't agree, but I really like George Carlin in bit parts. And that includes Jersey Girl. In fact, I think I might like him in that more than most anything else he's done in film.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DaleTremont on Tue May 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Interesting that no women have been named...

Honestly I'm having trouble thinking of any that qualify myself.

Jeanette Goldstein maybe?

Or Candace Bergen?

Also, Rip Torn!!!!

and Wallace Shawn.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby SilentBobX on Tue May 20, 2008 4:29 pm

I find it funny people mention William Katt in House 2, cause he was also in the House vs. God episode of House MD.

Amusing.

Of course as far as unappreciated goes, I have to say that of everyone who should've had a career, I'd have to go with Bryan Johnson and Walt Flanagan of View Askew movie fame(Mallrats, Chasing Amy deleted scene). Those fuckers at best deserved their own direct to video movie.

Mahalo
Last edited by SilentBobX on Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Sam Elliott and Ben Gazzara.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Nicky Katt is my choice,he's one hell of an actor....

-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DaleTremont on Tue May 20, 2008 4:46 pm

travis-dane wrote:Nicky Katt is my choice,he's one hell of an actor....

Nicky Katt is awesome!

And with the exception of Baby The Rain Must Fall, he has STELLAR taste in movies.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Peven on Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Peven wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Like Diggstown!

no, like "Fast Walking"

first saw it back in '89 on cable when i was laid up after a knee reconstruction and high on percesets(sp?) and weed :lol: then went and rented it to see the uncut version and James Woods became one of my favorite actors. to this day i peruse the help wanted ads hoping to see a job for hosing down hookers :wink: :lol: seriously, one of the reasons why i dig that movie besides Woods is the ending. not what you expected. and then when Woods and his buddy make things right.....well, that is the cherry on top

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 pm

Javier Bardem is probably out with an Oscar in his collection, huh?

So many great ones already mentioned, i'll throw out a personal comedic favorite: Jeremy Piven. Without him, Entourage is less than nothing.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby minstrel on Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Wilford Brimley probably qualifies. He's the kind of guy who can show up for one scene and steal the whole movie, like he did in Absence of Malice.
minstrel

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Didn't Wilford Brimley win an Oscar for something?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Didn't Wilford Brimley win an Oscar for something?

not according to IMDB

But even if he did I might argue that he'd fall into the Donald Sutherland exception. Sure Donald doesn't have an oscar but he has a couple of golden globes and an emmy...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Peven on Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 pm

Donald Sutherland is a much better actor than Brimley has ever been, though, imo

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 am

Ooooh cool topic idea! ^^

I think I have a name I can toss in here...

Rutger Hauer
-Don't think I even have to explain why but he should definately be on the list.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Justin Theroux!
The dude is fucking awesome.....

-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm

I'll add/nominate/whatever Jim Broadbent...

If he hasn't already been mentioned/if he's eligible...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 22, 2008 1:41 pm

travis-dane wrote:Justin Theroux!
The dude is fucking awesome.....

Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire for sheezy.

And while on the subject of Lynch... what about Laura Dern?

She seems to elevate whever shes in.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu May 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:Ooooh cool topic idea! ^^

I think I have a name I can toss in here...

Rutger Hauer
-Don't think I even have to explain why but he should definately be on the list.

10 more points for Spiffy.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 2:15 pm

DONT FORGET The MADSEN....

Great dude....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I think some love needs to thrown out for Warwick Davis!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I think some love needs to thrown out for Warwick Davis!

Here ya go Dale....

-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Luis Guzman anyone? So many awesome projects over the years.

Or Weng Weng? Who is an institution in and of himself! No question about it!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 22, 2008 2:33 pm

travis-dane wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:I think some love needs to thrown out for Warwick Davis!

Here ya go Dale....

:lol:

Oh Warwick, you crazy little fucker...

If it hasn't yet, I think THIS GUY should be in here...

DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Ash....
Long time no see!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion