Bruce Lee... Still The Best

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Bruce Lee... Still The Best

Postby JabberJaw on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 am

I went and purchased the Bruce Lee collection on DVD this weekend so i can regain some youth and have a good time.

Those movies still hold up today. Although the music is cheesy in Fists of Fury and Return of The Dragon, the movies are great.

He is still the greatest of all time...the last few years i was beginning to think Jet Li was getting there but after my marathon i can truly say he doesnt come close to Lee.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby jgraphix on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 am

Tony Jaa
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby millsy on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:32 pm

Bruce Lee was without question one of the forfathers of modern kung fu films(Big boss, Game of death, enter the dragon), without him im sure most of the west would still percieve Asians as white men with piss poor make up.
To compare Jet li to Bruce Lee is like comparing chalk to cheese, without Bruce lee you would have never found Jet li (Unless you looked hard). Thats why he will never be surpassed because of the time he became a star Western audiences had never seen the skills on screen of any kung fu actor. Now its all too recognisable, even Reeves can fight now and he cant act for toffee.
millsy
GLIB

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:34 pm

Bruce Lee should be more remembered for what he did off camera, because his films, although popular, and well remembered served right along with the best of the Shaw Brothers films of the time.

Jeet Kune Do as a discipline is a far better contribution than any of his film work.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:36 pm

Bruce was the first, the greatest and probably the best there will ever be, others can look good but they couldn't really kill you with one finger like Lee could if he wanted to.

His films contain a unique fighting style that can't really be recreated because no one else has the ability or Chi energy to fight like him.

There is a poll somewhere with all the badasses on it, Lee wiped the floor with the others, again no one can step up to the plate with Lee and expect to win, he was quite simply a fighting GOD amoung men.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:39 pm

What's all this business lark I keep hearing that he and Chuck fucking Norris bouted and Bruce got his arse, fucking, kicked by the Chucky one!?!?!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What's all this business lark I keep hearing that he and Chuck fucking Norris bouted and Bruce got his arse, fucking, kicked by the Chucky one!?!?!?

only in somebody's dim-witted imagination could that have happened.
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:43 pm

Peven wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What's all this business lark I keep hearing that he and Chuck fucking Norris bouted and Bruce got his arse, fucking, kicked by the Chucky one!?!?!?

only in somebody's dim-witted imagination could that have happened.

probably Chuck's...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:48 pm

It's true. I always keep hearing of this story. Seriously.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:01 pm

I read somewhere that Muhammed Ali once challenged Bruce Lee to a fight. Lee said something to the effect that he didn't feel like giving Ali the publicity. Classy move, IMO. I don't know if that story is true.

That said, Bruce Lee would've beat the piss out of Ali if it was a real fight and not a boxing match. I know he practiced boxing, but I don't know how good of a boxer he actually was.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

I dunno if Lee could have beaten Ali. Probably, but Ali was one big dude and his hands were nearly Lee-fast.

I'd put money on Andre the Giant beating Lee.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:16 pm

What about when up against Lee's kick's?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:19 pm

austenandrews wrote:I dunno if Lee could have beaten Ali. Probably, but Ali was one big dude and his hands were nearly Lee-fast.

I'd put money on Andre the Giant beating Lee.

i don't know - i think Lee could beat a dead guy....

and yes - i know that Lee is also dead...but he could still beat any other dead guy...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MiltonWaddams on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:27 pm

boxers and martial arts are two seperate things. of course bruce lee could kick ali's ass, he's an old school fighter that punches and kicks. boxing is about outlasting and landing a couple power punches, no kicks or headbutts.

i don't want to live in a world without kicks and headbutts.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Douche. You ask this in every single thread that mentions Bruce Lee. And every single time we tell you that you, and this story, are full of shit.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:42 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:

Douche. You ask this in every single thread that mentions Bruce Lee. And every single time we tell you that you, and this story, are full of shit.

PWN3D...

:wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

bruce lee

Postby dc on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:14 pm

i like how bruce lee's films underscored his theories about jeet kun do...he had something to prove and something to show. don't get me wrong, i think jackie, donnie, jet, sammo, etc. are awesome, but i consider them performers first and martial artists second, whereas it was the other way around with b-lee.

the first two punches in his fight with bob wall (scarface) in enter the dragon = 2 frames of film. that is still the most amazing thing i have seen in any martial arts movie. if only zion had bruce lee instead of neo...
dc
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm

I know this isn't how you spell it, hell it might not even be the right word, but I once caught Bruce Lee in a Vale Chudo match against Muhammad Ali. They were on the floor of a ring and were kicking at each other in crab-like positions. It looked fucking bizarre to me. It looked like Taiquando on acid.

Anyway, whoever mentioned the Shaw Brothers was bang-on. They were just as insurgent in the Kung Fu movie community as Bruce Lee; maybe not in bringing it to the masses, but in terms of quality flicks. I mean shit, if it weren't for their movies we wouldn't have The Wu Tang Clan (and the 36 Chambers of Death)...they'd be called something like, The Hardcore Crew, which is a terrible name. So props where they're deserved, eh?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:31 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:boxers and martial arts are two seperate things. of course bruce lee could kick ali's ass, he's an old school fighter that punches and kicks. boxing is about outlasting and landing a couple power punches, no kicks or headbutts.

i don't want to live in a world without kicks and headbutts.

This presumes that Ali couldn't throw kicks and headbutts as well. He'd never kick like Lee, but Ali had a pretty big head. ;)
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby JabberJaw on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:15 pm

There is a story that Bruce got pissed because Chuck was not able to hold back his punches all that great. But they never actually faught in real life..

There was an incident involving Robert Wall (O'Hara in Enter The Dragon) Apparently Bob accidentally cut Bruce's hand with the broken bottle he used during there fight scene. Bruce was so insensed by this, that he planned to kick his ass. The director and the crew took days to calm him down.

There are tons of stories of various idiots challenging him to test his skills. James Coburn said in am interview that someone once jumped over his wall while Bruce was working out in his back yard and challenged him. Bruce of course pummled this guy.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:42 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I know this isn't how you spell it, hell it might not even be the right word, but I once caught Bruce Lee in a Vale Chudo match against Muhammad Ali. They were on the floor of a ring and were kicking at each other in crab-like positions. It looked fucking bizarre to me. It looked like Taiquando on acid.

What on earth are you talking about?
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:47 pm

austenandrews wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:I know this isn't how you spell it, hell it might not even be the right word, but I once caught Bruce Lee in a Vale Chudo match against Muhammad Ali. They were on the floor of a ring and were kicking at each other in crab-like positions. It looked fucking bizarre to me. It looked like Taiquando on acid.

What on earth are you talking about?

Yeah I just asked a friend of mine who does Vale Chudo to show me the flick again, and I guess it must have been me on acid. It was Muhammad Ali, that's for sure, but the other Asian guy he was crab-fighting was some lanky dude who looked nothing like Bruce Lee.

Really, I must give up the absinthe/acid combos, it reeks havoc on my memory. That being said, Ali didn't hold up too well out of his element like this, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if this lanky Asian dude out crab-fought him. I'm not joking about this footage, if you can find it it's most definitely worth the search. It leads me to believe that Bruce Lee would've won a battle back in the day, because he was a master of various fighting stratagems, and Ali just one.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:07 pm

Found it: http://community-2.webtv.net/Timothy-Allen/WRESTLERVSBOXER/page3.html

Unreal. You're probably right, though. If Lee could have grappled before Ali landed a punch, it may have been all over. Of course Lee wasn't nearly the size of that wrestler, but still.

I still contend that Andre would have taken Lee down: http://community-2.webtv.net/Timothy-Allen/WRESTLERVSBOXER/index.html
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:09 pm

The only reason that Lee ever beat Chuck Norris in a fight is because Chuck was in mid coitus with your mother, and pulling out that suddenly may have sent her into cardiac arrest. He was being considerate, and took the subsequent beating, because while he was a fighter, he was also a gentleman.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Bruce Lee couldn't beat cancer...so much for his martial arts skills.

All the swift kicks in the world could stop those cells from reaching metastasis.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:02 pm

Not enough Punky Power flowing through his blood, that was his problem.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 pm

I would agree with you, but I am not sure that I am allowed to say the G word around these parts any longer.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby JabberJaw on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:26 pm

DirtyRatBastard wrote:Bruce Lee couldn't beat cancer...so much for his martial arts skills.

All the swift kicks in the world could stop those cells from reaching metastasis.

Especially since he didnt die from cancer.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 pm

Cerebral edema, cancer...all in the same family.

There was a tumor. And the tumor was not benign.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby zombieslayer on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 am

zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:24 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:The only reason that Lee ever beat Chuck Norris in a fight is because Chuck was in mid coitus with your mother, and pulling out that suddenly may have sent her into cardiac arrest. He was being considerate, and took the subsequent beating, because while he was a fighter, he was also a gentleman.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!

God sake, I have no idea where these jokes about Chuck come from but I have to and find out. These are fucking hilarious!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby JabberJaw on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:26 am

DirtyRatBastard wrote:Cerebral edema, cancer...all in the same family.

He didnt have a tumor. Cerebral Edema is the swelling of the brain due to excess fluids. He died after lapsing into a coma. They dont really know what caused the Edema...they speculated it was caused by the medication he took for his headache. A lot of people thought it was because of the intense training he put his body through. He only slept 3-4 hours a night, he was constantly moving and training.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:28 am

Bruce Lee rocked because he wasn't afraid to exploit any and all weaknesses. If a guy left himself open to a kick in the daddy-bag you better beleive he was gonna be coughing up chunks of his cash and prizes for weeks.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:28 am

DirtyRatBastard wrote:Cerebral edema, cancer...all in the same family.

Got a link that proves this, there are so many death theories out there I actually don't believe any of them, I've heard he was smoking weed in one Documentary (he was having an affair or someting) and it caused an aneurysm, another says he took aspirin, your one would make sense but I'd love to see if there was some proof as it's all part of his legend and mystique, others say he was poisoned by Triads over some old score from decades before.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:48 am

he was poisoned for teaching kung fu to westerners. he had been warned and threatened not to, but he went ahead and did it anyway. thats my own personal conspiracy theory of choice explaining his demise.
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby JabberJaw on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 pm

John-Locke wrote:
DirtyRatBastard wrote:C erebral edema, cancer...all in the same family.

Got a link that proves this, there are so many death theories out there I actually don't believe any of them, I've heard he was smoking weed in one Documentary (he was having an affair or someting) and it caused an aneurysm, another says he took aspirin, your one would make sense but I'd love to see if there was some proof as it's all part of his legend and mystique, others say he was poisoned by Triads over some old score from decades before.

The coroner's had 5 different theories of what caused the Edema. The prominate one is he had an allergic reaction to the pill he took. They found traces of cannibus in his system, but not enough to cause alarm.

I think he was so intense and trained so hard it took its toll.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Peven wrote:he was poisoned for teaching kung fu to westerners. he had been warned and threatened not to, but he went ahead and did it anyway. thats my own personal conspiracy theory of choice explaining his demise.

I was reading a book the other day that attempts to disprove popular conspiracy theories with that time-honoured tradition: Facts.

Makes for an interesting read..because unlike most of these types of books...who choose to amplify rather than explain....it attempts to state a balanced case. It explains how these theories got started in the first place, which in itself is very interesting.

ome it completely disproves.....some it openly admits it can't solve. Bruce Lee is one it couldn't solve...but it did explain about four or five of the most popular theories and ended up with only two that are likely to be true.

One was a genuine medical death....a swelling on the brain. Lee had been at a co-stars house who he was rumoured to have been having an affair with. This accusation in itself was enough to bring dishonour on his name - whether he had been having the affair or not.

Because the actress called his agent before the medics when he was dying, and because they attempted to cover up where the body was found and by who, the story wasn't completely truthful - all in an attempt to keep the Lee name clear...

and it was these activities that first gave rise to suspicions something else was going on regarding his actual demise.

Another explanation is that Kung-Fu masters killed him with the same death-touch he himself possessed. Could have been done as easily as brushing past him in a crowd. This is consistent with the physical symptoms he experienced - but of course cannot be proved or disproved.

However, perhaps what appeals most of all to conspiracy theorists is the fact that there is an old curse, known of back in his native home, that is too long-winded to go into here...but ultimately the penalty is the death of the eldest son born in each generation of the afflicted house. This curse had already taken some of Lee's relations in the generations that went before him...and of course the tragic events surrounding Brandon Lee's death hardly help dispel this.

This last theory is taken far more seriously in his homeland than in Western Europe/Northern America.

If only they hadn't tried to lie about the circumstances surrounding his death, we'd at least have a clearer picture.

As far as the man himself is concerned...I don't believe anyone has come close, before or since. Every now and again I start thinking someone has...like Jet Li, who himself is enormously talented - but then I watch one of Lee's movies and you realise....no way. What he could do was and remains virtually superhuman.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby fried samurai on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Bruce Lee was the greatest because he didn't constrict himself to one style.I asked my sifu what made Bruce Lee such a great fighter.He said he had a great stand up and ground game.You need that in a real fight.

Trust me the average martial artist would get dropped by a boxer.I've seen it happen many times.Most martial artists learn how to throw a punch whereas a boxer learns how to take a punch.Bruce Lee understood this and had his students train with boxing equipment.

I went to a seminar years ago where Dan Inosanto(Bruce Lee's highest ranking student)was speaking.He talked about how important footwork like from boxing and fencing were to Bruce.He also said Bruce knew most fights ending up on the ground so grappling was important.

Just look at any mixed martial art tournament like the UFC.Thats real fighting.All the good fighters have a good stand up like boxing or Muay Thai and a ground game like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.Bruce Lee understood that years ago.

Plus all this Bruce vs Jet vs Tony doesnt really mean anything.All martial arts films have a choreographer so it looks good.Most real fights are fast sloppy and dirty.Just my 2 cents.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 pm

fried samurai wrote:Bruce Lee was the greatest because he didn't constrict himself to one style.I asked my sifu what made Bruce Lee such a great fighter.He said he had a great stand up and ground game.You need that in a real fight.

Trust me the average martial artist would get dropped by a boxer.I've seen it happen many times.Most martial artists learn how to throw a punch whereas a boxer learns how to take a punch.Bruce Lee understood this and had his students train with boxing equipment.

I went to a seminar years ago where Dan Inosanto(Bruce Lee's highest ranking student)was speaking.He talked about how important footwork like from boxing and fencing were to Bruce.He also said Bruce knew most fights ending up on the ground so grappling was important.

Just look at any mixed martial art tournament like the UFC.Thats real fighting.All the good fighters have a good stand up like boxing or Muay Thai and a ground game like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.Bruce Lee understood that years ago.

Plus all this Bruce vs Jet vs Tony doesnt really mean anything.All martial arts films have a choreographer so it looks good.Most real fights are fast sloppy and dirty.Just my 2 cents.

Very true. A lot of what we've seen Lee do on film wasn't anything like the way he fought for real. He kicked low, always below the waist and often much lower than even that. He didn't do the "Bruce Lee dance"; he was often quite still. He didn't use an ultra-low horse stance, but often used a stance quite similar to the typical boxer's stance.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby JabberJaw on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:57 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
fried samurai wrote:Bruce Lee was the greatest because he didn't constrict himself to one style.I asked my sifu what made Bruce Lee such a great fighter.He said he had a great stand up and ground game.You need that in a real fight.

Very true. A lot of what we've seen Lee do on film wasn't anything like the way he fought for real. He kicked low, always below the waist and often much lower than even that. He didn't do the "Bruce Lee dance"; he was often quite still. He didn't use an ultra-low horse stance, but often used a stance quite similar to the typical boxer's stance.

One thing the films did show was his incredible speed and fluid motion. His reaction time was un-equaled. He would find a way to fight in any circumstance. His training in different styles gave him the edge on everyone.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby austenandrews on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 pm

"Death-touch?"
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm

austenandrews wrote:"Death-touch?"

Yeah, like the 5 Point Deadly Palm Technique in Kill Bill Part 2. I'm not so sure I buy into that stuff.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:24 pm

...Bruce Lee was no Donnie Yen, because Yen can no-shadow kick. I don't recall Lee ever doing that, but then again if he did it'd be too fast for me to see (hence it being called a no-shadow kick).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm

The only thing is, I doubt Lee could take one of Ali's punches. One quick jab and it's game over - man.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Bruce Lee... Still The Best

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

From THR:
Bruce Lee - Martial arts trailblazer remembered for more than his movies
Alex Ben Block wrote:When a lifelike figure of Bruce Lee was unveiled at Madame Tussaud's wax museum in Hollywood earlier this year, his only surviving child, Shannon Lee, noted that her father died shortly before the 1974 premiere of "Enter The Dragon," the movie that made him the first Asian actor to become a global superstar.

"I think my dad definitely dreamed he would make an impact like this," said Shannon Lee, who was three when her father died. "I'm very sorry he didn't live to see it, but it's nice to see those dreams come true."

Thirty-seven years after his sudden death, Lee's dream has been fulfilled not only in Hollywood but all over the world.

He has become an iconic figure alongside a handful of stars that includes Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley and James Dean, whose images are instantly recognizable generations after their death.

His name has become synonymous with action stars who use martial arts, and his influence as an actor, fighter and philosopher has been publicly recognized by stars like Jackie Chan and rapper LL Cool J, creators such as Marvel Comics founder Stan Lee, and movie directors John Woo and Brett Ratner.

What is particularly interesting about the posthumous evolution of Bruce Lee is that he is not only remembered for the handful of movies and TV show in which he starred but also for breaking racial barriers, helping erase stereotypes and his contributions in such areas as mixed martial arts, fitness, health and a philosophy that recognized the commonality of all humanity.

While a wax figure of Lee in Hollywood or a memorial in Hong Kong are not big surprises, there is also a life-size statue in Mostar, Bosnia erected in 2005 as a symbol of efforts to heal ethnic tensions in a place that suffered from civil war in the 1990s.

"The reason they chose him is not because he's a martial arts star," said Shannon Lee shortly after the bronze was unveiled, "but he represents somebody who had a lot of ethnic struggle in his lifetime and overcame it. So, to them, he is a unifying force and representative of somebody who overcame that."

In the first years after his death, numerous imitators sprang onto the screen, often with confusingly similar names like Bruce Li (who was really Ho Chung Tao of Taiwan), Bruce Le (a Hong Kong actor) and Dragon Lee (from South Korea). They were part of a movement called Brucexplotation, a reference to the fact they traded on Lee's fame. In reality, the impact of these low budget, action heavy movies was to dilute interest in the entire genre.

The next wave brought Jackie Chan and Jet Li and others who offered their own variation on Lee's legacy but still never quite replaced him as a martial artist or a movie icon.

But that was only part of Lee's legacy. His impact was greater than movies. As the first Asian international action star he smashed the Western stereotype of the Chinese coolie, and provided reason for a whole generation of young Asians, as well as other minorities, to be proud of their heritage. Comedian Margaret Cho has said it was seeing Lee that made her realize her own possibilities in life.

Until Lee, martial arts was a rigid system of schools and styles that fiercely competed to be called the best. Lee created his own style, Jeet Kune Do, which not only took the best of what the Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other martial arts offered but added in elements of boxing, wrestling and even the idea that weight lifting could be part of the system. His approach included health foods, running, aerobics and even electrical stimulation of muscles -- all of which are common today but were radical in the 1970s.

His movies stimulated the worldwide growth of martial arts of all kinds, but it went beyond that. There is a clear line from what Lee wrought to the invention of mixed martial arts, which flourishes today in multiple forms, such as the Ultimate Fighting Championships.

Lee's Jeet Kune Do has also been carried on by his students and their students and is considered a legitimate fighting art on its own today. It is taught on the university level in China.

Alex Ben Block wrote:Interestingly, the acceptance of Lee as a hero was not instant in the People's Republic of China. At the time Lee died on July 20, 1973, China was only beginning to open up to the West and Lee was seen as a symbol of decadent Western influence. As China has become more involved with the rest of the world, the Chinese have seen the value of using Lee as a symbol.

That was most obvious in 2008 when CCTV, the state TV channel, ran a 50-part series on the life of Lee that had the same title as my 1974 book, "The Legend Of Bruce Lee." It became the highest rated series in the history of the channel.

The Chinese government has backed a Bruce Lee museum in an old teashop in Shunde in southern China, and a Bruce Lee theme park. Shunde is where Lee's family came from although he was only there once, when he was five years old.

That project is being done with involvement from Bruce Lee's surviving brothers and sisters, but not his widow Linda Caldwell or Shannon, who is now head of a foundation in her father's name, as well as a for profit partnership, Concord Moon. Concord Moon has been developing Bruce Lee media projects such as a CGI movie, an animated film, a TV series and a Broadway musical in the final stages of creation by David Henry Hwang, author of the 1988 Tony Award winning play "M. Butterfly." The CCTV series was done with the approval of Linda and Shannon.

After Bruce Lee died, there was a split between Lee's widow, who controlled his estate, and the Lee family, who she cut out of most of the revenue from his movies and ongoing licensing. Linda Lee said at the time she needed the money for her own family, including her son Brandon, who also became a movie star, but then died in a tragic on set accident in 1993 at age 28.

A tense detente exists today between the Lee family and the estate. Linda and Shannon worry that activities they don't approve may tarnish the Lee image by licensing things like tobacco products, which they feel Bruce would have been against.

However the family, led by Bruce's younger brother Robert, have shown they too care deeply about Lee's legacy. One project the family has approved is a trilogy of movies on Lee's life by China's J.A. Media Group, with the first installment due around the time Lee would have turned 70 on November 27, 2010.

Lee as a youth is also being portrayed in the Mandarin Films Distribution Co. sequel to the successful Chinese movie "Ip Man," about Bruce Lee's teacher, due for release later this year.

After years of biographical movies that didn't get made by Hollywood, there was "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story," released by Universal in 1993 starring Jason Scott Lee (no relation) as Bruce Lee. It cost about $14 million to make and grossed $35 million in the U.S. but drew mixed reviews. Director Rob Cohen, while a Lee fan, took many liberties with the story for dramatic effect.

Linda and Shannon Lee had authorized that movie but a couple years ago made a deal with Universal to buy back the Bruce Lee life rights, which are the basis for projects they're developing.

So the legend of Bruce Lee truly is going to continue through movies, TV shows, a musical play, books, licensed merchandise, martial arts, physical culture and much more.

"Like everyone else you want to learn the way to win," Bruce Lee is quoted in the 2000 documentary "The Warriors Journey," directed by John Little, who devoted years to creating books and media from Lee's legacy. "But ... to accept defeat -- to learn to die -- is to be liberated from it. Once you accept, you are free to flow and to harmonize. Fluidity is the way to an empty mind. You must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying."

Or in Bruce Lee's case, the art of how to live on even after you have died.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby vero216 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:36 am

The first vhs video i saw was bruce lee.What a time back then ...
vero216
GLIB

How Bruce Lee Changed The World

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 am

From AICN November 16, 2001:
You've Heard about CGI Bruce Lee in his new movie DRAGON LORD, now see tests!

Hey folks, Harry here... Ya know, my reaction to hearing, "They're making a new Bruce Lee movie with CGI Bruce Lee called DRAGON LORD," was: COOL! I know I'm supposed to be horrified and angry and repulsed.... But here's the deal... Before STAR WARS for me, was BRUCE LEE. There were 4 major geeky cool things I was into before being brainwashed by Milius, Lucas, Spielberg, Miller, Carpenter, Donner and the rest of that bunch... My first love was GORGO. My next love was THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Then there was BRUCE LEE and the song "DIG DIG" from Snow White. I remember the day in my life that I found out Bruce Lee was dead. I was at the Austin Fantasy FilmFest selling 8x10 stills of Star Trek, Harryhausen monsters, Logan's Run, Dr Who, Bruce Lee... and someone was buying the Bruce Lee still and I told him, "I can't wait to meet Bruce Lee, he's my hero!" and this cold heartless bastard told this 4 year old Bruce Lee geek.... "BRUCE LEE IS DEAD!" I actually began crying. I didn't know that movie people could die.

Well, the 'Lee Estate' has decided to move forward with Bruce's post-life career. His wife and daughter are going to bring Bruce Lee back to life on screen.

Now, maybe it is because I've already seen Bruce Lee in a new movie this year once already. In SHAOLIN SOCCER, the goalie for the Shaolin team.... DEAR GOD! It is Bruce Lee. It is just about the most scary likeness I've ever seen in a film. And the scenes with him as the goalee are some of the frickin best action work I've seen in a mule's age.

Personally, If I was Marvel Comics and Steve Norrington, I'd hire 'Bruce Lee' to be a certain "Master of Kung Fu" in their film. Because that would just be the damn coolest thing ever.

All I know, is I'd rather watch a fake Bruce Lee in a movie than a real Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Seagal.... know what I'm saying?

Below were two tests that the company doing this did over a year ago. I'm sure they've gotten even better. Here ya go...

CLICK HERE FOR BRUCE 1

CLICK HERE FOR BRUCE 2

Hi Harry
Dunno if you've seen this but the BBC are running a story which says a film is being made using CGI to recreate Bruce Lee. The film is to be called Dragon Warrior and financed by ShinCine Communciations. The link to the full story is here!
I'm not to sure I like the sound of this Bruce is a legend and shouldn't be mucked about with
Take care
Steve Conibear

From The Seattle Times August 29, 2006:
Now it's Lee's name that packs a punch

From Latino Review 11.06.06:
Rage & Fury script review

From Obsessed With Film November 20, 2006:
Enter the Digital Bruce Lee
A CGI Bruce Lee for "Rage & Fury"
Rob Cohen's Bruce Lee CGI movie project is not to happen - Bruce Lee News

From Variety Apr. 15, 2010:
Bruce Lee's 'Flute' heads to bigscreen - Maslansky gears up martial arts feature

'Bruce Lee hit popular culture in the solar plexus'
And culture is set to go Bruce Lee-crazy again, with an exciting new exhibition and films in the works

From Twitch:
Stephen Chow Remaking Bruce Lee!

How Bruce Lee Changed The World:
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm

And just for the sake of it, Vern's brand new reviews of Game Of Death and the documentary A Warrior's Journey.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Actor Discussion