We have to save HARRISON FORD!!!!!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Is Harrison Ford Still Cool?

Yes.
31%
No.
45%
William Shatner should play all his roles now.
24%

Total votes : 51

We have to save HARRISON FORD!!!!!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:23 pm

From Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Mosquito Coast, Witness, to simply cardboard copies of his same old same old Hero Persona that he seems to play in all of his roles these days, that I personally feel is fucking boring and tiresome - Harrison Ford I feel really needs to get himself back on track and get his career and work out of the doldrums that I reckon it is in now.

I'm a big fan ass kisser of Harrison Ford. He's been our very own Hero since we were kids. He used to lead the way for us to be cool, strong, and even pick up chicks.

But now he's just lead the way in putting us to sleep in his boring, same all the way through, choices with roles. Heh, I can do one fucking ace impression of Harrison Ford and his now mumbling, blurry, half asleep self.

So now that this guy is losing it, it's now our turn guys! Our turn to return our hero's favour and put this guy on track.

What should Harrison FOrd do to make him a success again? Not just in making hits and all that bollox, but in actually turning out brilliant performances and portrayals of truely exciting and fascinating, intruiging characters. (Personally, if I see him PUNCH some poor guy in any more of his films, I'm gonna end up kicking the chair of hte guy in front of me, in pissed off frustration.)

So let's imagine that Harrison Ford is actually one of us Phantom Zoners, and reads what we say about him. Do you guys think that Harrison Ford needs help to save himself, and if so, what should he do about it?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm

hire an agent that knows what a good fucking role is...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:30 pm

He should have surgery so he doesn't run like a monkey.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Harrison Ford will always be cool. He's ingrained in our minds as a larger than life figure. He doesn't exist on our plane.

That said, he hasn't made a good movie in quite a while, and I can't remember when I last paid to see one.

His coolness may be waning, but it will never be gone.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:37 pm

Hollywood Homicide? What the funk is that? I like Harrison in alot of movies but for the last several years hes been making crap after crap. Him and John Travolta both need new agents.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:38 pm

well, i just went thru his filmography on IMDB, and i gotta tell you kirk, i don't what more you want from this guy.
he has one of the most impressive lists of any hollywood actor out there... so he's made a few less-than-good flicks recently, but come on dude, the guys got solid gold credentials, so cut the man some slack
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 pm

BUT HE'S ALWAYS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no one's going to see his films anymore!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Kilgore on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 pm

If Harrison Ford wants to regain his once-seemingly irrevokable status of cool, and make up for the travesty of 'Hollywood Homicide', I'm cool with one option:

Strangling Josh Hartnett to death on live television.

But it can't be PPV, because that would just make him cheap.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:BUT HE'S ALWAYS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no one's going to see his films anymore!!!!!!!

what the fuck does that mean?

do you want him to do a role in black face?

would you have preferred he be cast in the starring role on Snakes on a MtherFucking Plane?

maybe he should play a crossdressing undercover cop in Big Momma's House 3

he plays middle-aged/slighter older white dude roles BECUASE THAT'S WHAT HE'S PERFECT AT DOING!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby cap on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:53 pm

He used to be. He still can, but he has to pick roles where he isn't trying so hard to be cool.

Eastwood (as an example) is still cool. Mostly because of the roles he picks, and his general demeanor.

I don't think Ford has the same demeanor therefore, he has to have a role where he can show it.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Harrison will go back to the well one last time with Indiana Jones, then he will retire peaceably.

And by the by, Harrison Ford is most definitely NOT an actor. The man is a true blue movie star. THAT'S why he's the same in everything.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:00 pm

Personally, the Dino, he vote a for a the Shatner, eh? They both a become a the characitures of a their former selves, no? Anna the Dino, he KNOWS a the characitures, eh?

"SNAKES!.... WHY.... did it HAVE... to be.... SNAKES?"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah but no other movies star that I can think of, plays the same type of guy so much with their roles.

This guy is a brilliant ACTOR anyway. And he won't be a star for much longer if he continues repeating himself all the time. The public won't take htat insult to their intelligence and they are piss pot tired of it anyway. If not now, then later.

He don't have to put on a black face or wear women's underwear, but God, do something the likes of Robert de Niro did, and play something, at least more diverse and interesting than he normally does (he weren't that bad in that K9 or whatever the sub movie was, actually). He can pull it off, I know he wants to. NOW IS THE TIME COMMANDER!!!!!

PS. Did you know that as far back as 1990-91 or whatever, he told Martin Scorsese that he would only be in Cape Fear if he played MAX CADY. So there you go.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Personally, the Dino, he vote a for a the Shatner, eh? They both a become a the characitures of a their former selves, no? Anna the Dino, he KNOWS a the characitures, eh?

Dino, if that's not a typo (and I don't think it is), you have coined one of the great showbiz words of all time.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Yeah but no other movies star that I can think of, plays the same type of guy so much with their roles.

how bout snakes on a muthafuckin plane jackson...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Yeah but no other movies star that I can think of, plays the same type of guy so much with their roles.

Myopia, thy name is Fook Ming.

Gene Hackman
Sam Jackson
Tommy Lee Jones
Will Smith

Those are just four that slipped out without me even having to THINK about it. I am sure that others can come up with a much longer list.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:08 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

Gene Hackman
Sam Jackson
Tommy Lee Jones
Will Smith

Those are just four that slipped out without me even having to THINK about it. I am sure that others can come up with a much longer list.

ya - just like burl always plays a douche...

:wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:08 pm

He don't have to put on a black face or wear women's underwear, but God, do something the likes of Robert de Niro did, and play something, at least more diverse and interesting than he normally does (he weren't that bad in that K9 or whatever the sub movie was, actually). He can pull it off, I know he wants to. NOW IS THE TIME COMMANDER!!!!!

whoa whoa whoa, you're using Robert DiNiro as a GOOD example of playing different roles? are you fucking kidding me? Talk about a one trick pony.
don't get me wrong, I love me some good 'ol fashioned Dinero, but he is the epitome of an actor playing the same role.
try again capitan!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 pm

most movie stars pretty much play variations on their same role - it's that same role that made them who they are - look at tom cruise - he's taken about 3 "risks" his entire career - and one of them was called 2005... then there was born on the 4th of july and magnolia...

there is a reason they're movie stars - and that's because people like seeing them do their thing - why do you think most of meg ryan's movies( especially the ones that anybody has seen) - has her playing a perky nice girl with a heart of gold - or why most of julia roberts roles have her playing a "likeable" horse-face...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:14 pm

When I think of an actor, I think of an Edward Norton or a Robert Downey, Jr. These are guys who genuinely find a character and tailor their performance toward that end. A movie star tends to coast on their "persona" more often than not.

It's not a bad thing necessarily, but it's the reason why Harrison Ford will never win an Oscar. Then again, look at Julia Roberts and Erin Brokovich...

EDIT: There are also movie stars with genuine acting ability. I point to George Clooney and, yes, Tom Cruise.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:17 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:He should have surgery so he doesn't run like a monkey.

He does run like a monkey.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:17 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

Gene Hackman
Sam Jackson
Tommy Lee Jones
Will Smith

Will Smith's a Cun-t anyway.

Gene Hackman, well he always looks the same, sounds hte same, but you fully well that his characters or style of acting approach (comedy, serious) are far apart. I keep seeing Jack Ryan in everything Ford has been doing lately. Exceptions like K19 are too few and far between.

Tommy Lee Jones, I admit has been milking his US Marshall role a bit much lately, and I AM sick of it too, and he deserves the same slagging that Harrison does, but throught Jone's TV and film career, this guy has been kicking out a wider variation of characters and performance stlye than Harrison Ford. Captain call in Lonesome Dove, his turn in Natural born Killers, JFK, even Cobb, Under Siege, I'll say Agent K in Men In Black too, there's proven more diversity here also.

I think that with his latest stuff, you've got me there on Sam Jackson Burl. Even though he's not the movie star, the calibre of the Ford. I dunno how much Jackoff should count in this consideration.

If there isn't such originality with these actors from one role they play to another - then yes, I've got a similar complaint again.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:18 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Dino DeLaurentiis wrote:Anna the Dino, he KNOWS a the characitures, eh?

Dino, if that's not a typo (and I don't think it is), you have coined one of the great showbiz words of all time.

Goddamn... The Dino, he knows a the caricatures... he just a donna know how a to spell it inna the English, eh?

:oops:
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Kilgore on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:EDIT: There are also movie stars with genuine acting ability. I point to George Clooney and, yes, Tom Cruise.

Painful to hear...but true
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:19 pm

so sorry wrote:

whoa whoa whoa, you're using Robert DiNiro as a GOOD example of playing different roles? are you fucking kidding me? Talk about a one trick pony.
don't get me wrong, I love me some good 'ol fashioned Dinero, but he is the epitome of an actor playing the same role.
try again capitan!

He he he!! I have to be real careful about how I pick my words with you proffesionals eh?

I meant Robert de Niro - in his prime. Which basically isn't in his Meet the Wankers period.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:21 pm

Harrison Ford has never been that great an actor.

He can smirk and look cool and put his hands up defensively, and he's had a couple of GREAT roles that suited him perfectly, but you're not going to get any kind of range out of the guy.

*caff*Sabrina*caff*Regarding Henry*caff*
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Bluebottle wrote:He can smirk and look cool and put his hands up defensively, and he's had a couple of GREAT roles that suited him perfectly, but you're not going to get any kind of range out of the guy.

He can also nose-breathe heavily as his mouth crinkles up in anger.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:23 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:EDIT: There are also movie stars with genuine acting ability. I point to George Clooney and, yes, Tom Cruise.

yes - the sad thing about Cruise though is that he usually just likes to coast - instead of challenging himself - i loved him in magnolia - but for the most part - be ithis fault - the studios - or his agent - he plays the same character - even his role in magnolia was just an amped up version of the cocky pretty boy he does so well... same as in collateral... great role - fine acting - but - in the end - it's still tom cruise...

the thing is - alot of these movie stars do have talent - will smith has shown occasional glimpses of it (6 degrees of separation) - but that's not what makes them the stars...

harrison ford was nominated for an oscar for witness - and i believe he did a brilliant job with that as well... but - unfortuantely - the audience doesn't really wanna see these guys act/emote - they just wanna see them... i think it's more fault of the mass market - then some of the performers themselves... even the great actors sometimes do something they shouldn't - check out phillip seymour hoffman doing his jack black impression in Along Came Polly...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:He can smirk and look cool and put his hands up defensively, and he's had a couple of GREAT roles that suited him perfectly, but you're not going to get any kind of range out of the guy.

He can also nose-breathe heavily as his mouth crinkles up in anger.

And as Burl pointed out earlier, he can run like a monkey.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 pm

He's great at the lopsided smirk and the one eyed tear, mumbling a helluva lot, pulling his lower lip above his upper one when he's angry.

He can play more diverse roles than we give him credit for. he's just gotta pick the right one. I thought he was great playing the mad, cynical but extrovertive and entertaining Alex Fox in The Mosquito Coast. Nothing like Richard Kimble.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Tom Cruise also runs like a monkey. And he has weird shoulders.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:27 pm

havocSchultz wrote:yes - the sad thing about Cruise though is that he usually just likes to coast - instead of challenging himself - i loved him in magnolia

we're getting a divorce.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:28 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Personally, the Dino, he vote a for a the Shatner, eh? They both a become a the characitures of a their former selves, no? Anna the Dino, he KNOWS a the characitures, eh?

ON A PLANE?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:yes - the sad thing about Cruise though is that he usually just likes to coast - instead of challenging himself - i loved him in magnolia

we're getting a divorce.

tame the gentleman - respect thy cock...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:30 pm

I repent of my harshness in voting Harrison Ford "Not Cool" but certainly his current incarnation isn't cool.

I think he needs to quit taking action scripts period and look for some good, solid dramas. Stuff like "Presumed Innocent" or "Witness." The latter is one of my all time favorite dramas/thrillers. Admittedly it still has some action, but it's realistic and fairly low key, much more believable for a man of Ford's age. And if you cut most of it out, it wouldn't affect the movie that much, it is such a solid piece.

That is basically what Clint Eastwood has done. I could see Ford play the same part he did in "Million Dollar Baby."

I could even see him in a decent, smart comedy. He HAS done it, he has the dry wit. He's funny as Indy. He's funny in "Working Girl." I even think he's funny in "Six Days, Seven Nights."

I imagine he gets alot of action scripts. He hasn't done a movie in years, so that hurts. So I'll give him a break and suppose that of the scripts he's sent, there's not alot to choose from. Clearly, he would have to work a little harder. Put the word out that he's interested in something else.
Last edited by Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm

he was supposed to play the michael douglas role in traffic - but rumor has it he wouldn't take the pay cut...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Y'know, Harrison Ford and Sam Jackson should team up in the mother of all buddy films. It could be called The Great Buddy Coast.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Y'know, Harrison Ford and Sam Jackson should team up in the mother of all buddy films. It could be called The Great Buddy Coast.

Buddies on tha muthafuckin coast!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:IThat is basically what Clint Eastwood has done. I could see Ford play the same part he did in "Million Dollar Baby."

That's a stellar idea. Let him play low key and introverted--as he is in real life--but give him a reason. I could see him as an About Schmidt-type too.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 pm

havocSchultz wrote:he was supposed to play the michael douglas role in traffic - but rumor has it he wouldn't take the pay cut...

If I remember correctly there was a story about this on AICN, where Harry (or Mori) begged Harrison Ford to get a new agent.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:38 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Y'know, Harrison Ford and Sam Jackson should team up in the mother of all buddy films. It could be called The Great Buddy Coast.

Buddies on tha muthafuckin coast![/quot

Or Patriot Games.

Harrison turned down the role in Traffic as he didn't - get this! - want to repeat his role that he played in Random Hearts.

Word has it that he wanted to play villains a long time ago, before What Lies Beneath (where he wasn't that much of a villain anyway). Again, being a $30 million star restricts you a bit though.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm

He was at the very top of the pile for so long, falling to "average" feels like he fell to rock bottom.

But I'm with Kirk on this one... what cheeses me off most about Harrison Ford is he is so openly dismissive/rude/derogatory about the very roles that made him the star he is.

I HATE seeing Han solo slag off Han Solo. It takes the edge off it all for me....I hate any actor put down the role that made them - its a highly arrogant and very unflattering trait. It speaks of a meanness of spirit to me I'm afraid. He should celebrate Han Solo...its not like he has to do that role ever again for chrissake. I'm sorry if he didn't see it as "real acting"...but did he have to tell the rest of us that, monkey jism that he is.

Seriously - check out his attitude in Empire of Dreams - it stinks like the underside of my sunday morning duvet.

He can act, he can certainly pull off that Saturday Morning Action Adventure persona better than anyone else - but he behaves intolerably to many of his co-stars...forces changes upon lesser directors...gets writers kicked out of their jobs and so on. Be nice to see him direct a movie, let alone anything else - but he doesn't...he stands on the sidelines and then interferes whenever he gets the chance. He is the worst kind of Star-Bully going. A veritable Prima-fucking-donna. In the past you could argue he had earned the right with his Box-Office draw....but that dog won't hunt these days Meester.

I've got no problem with people taking their careers in the direction they want....but there's always a right and a wrong way of going about it. Ford should get back to what he does best...and thats putting stellar turns in on the big screen. He doesn't let anyone tell him how to do his job (he's too busy sidling up to Directors and getting Co-Stars lines cut)...about time he took a leaf out of his own book methinks.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:41 pm

I can never buy that. Not that he didn't want to play a villian, but that if you're worth 30 million that you can't have any role you truly desire.

Most of them just aren't willing to take the risk or pay cut, when it comes down to it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm

Guys, I hate to do it...

But I'm calling it.

Harrison Ford's Career: Deceased.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Guys, I hate to do it...

But I'm calling it.

Unless we charge the defribs one last time and shock his head from out of his own ass...the talent is still there, its the attitude that sucks.

My hypocrisy knows no bounds of course - if I had been where he has for most of his career I'm sure it would have gone straight to my head and I'd have fallen further and landed harder, sooner, than he has.

But my own failings do not an exoneration make...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

Whats he going to do in Indy 4? Drive around in an electric chair throwing artifacts into the basket while being chased by Nazis? Cmon man.

Harrison should quietly bow out at this point. I like the guy but hes ruining his rep with all the feces hes making.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Han Solo & Indy were bonafide "Hero" roles. If you think about it. Ford is one of the best at playing an average guy that is thrust into doing things that he normally wouldnt do.

I like those roles. Granted he hasnt put out anything lately to make you jump up and down. I would love to see him do 1 more Indy film...in a different way mind you, he can still pull it off.
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

But I'm calling it.

then i gues you can consider this thread:deceased.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

But I'm calling it.

.................................................................................

No, dammit! NO!!

CLEAR!!!

................BOOP...............................................................

Charge to two hundred!! CLEAR!!!

............BOOP.......BOO........................................................................

Three hundred!!! CLEAR!!!

......................BOOP........BOOP.........BOOP........BOOP...........BOOP..........

We've got a pulse!!

He's not gone yet, people. Indy 4 is slated for later this year.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:58 pm

His ass I tell you...his ass!

Indy 4 has been slated for '07 hasn't it? At Ford's insistence or he won't do it all. He's fed up with the Stevie and Georgey faffing around forever. For once he uses his star power in a good way.

Heh.

I sense the good in you, Harrison.

Its....too....late for me....my Zoners. Save yourself >fsssk<

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Actor Discussion