Hoffman V Nicholson V Hackman: Who's The Best?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Hoffman V Nicholson V Hackman: Who's The Finest?

Dustin Hoffman
14%
Jack Nicholson
18%
Gene Hackman
68%

Total votes : 22

Hoffman V Nicholson V Hackman: Who's The Best?

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 11, 2006 10:52 am

Following on from the De Niro V Pacino discussion, three equally, if not better actors go head to head. Same principle applies. Range, versatility, choices of films and roles etc. Who would you consider the overall best from these three acting giants?
Me? I'm still deciding.... I'll need a day or two to make up my mind about this one......
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 11, 2006 10:54 am

First blood goes to Gene Hackman.

Lost my interest in Nicholson a long time ago, and I just don't think Hoffman can match Hackman.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Thu May 11, 2006 10:57 am

Definetly Hackman! Excellent in everything I've ever seen him in. And rarely, if ever, does full on crap. Well, okay, "Welcome to Mooseport" wasn't the best choice, but nobody is perfect, right?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 11, 2006 11:02 am

can we get a 'none of the above' added to the poll?

/and maybe remove Jack while you are at it?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am

i was gonna go for nicholson til i saw hackman was in the poll. something about hoffman doesn't sit right with me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am

Hackman certainly seems to have been the more consistent over recent years, but when I look at Hoffman's and Nicholson's performances in their 70's films, they still amaze me. Great roles in great films (likewise, Hackman as well). It's a tough one, this, I think....
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 11, 2006 11:11 am

i don't know... it's a tough call seeing as there's no abe vigoda in either of these threads and everybody knows you don't fuck with the vig...

well... there you have it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 11, 2006 11:11 am

Hackman is one of the most consistently great actors in the history of cinema.

Nuff said.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 11, 2006 11:17 am

unikrunk wrote:I can't vote for any of them, although I like Hackman the most.

Hoffman can act, sometimes, but chooses some pretty bad roles.

Jack is a parody of a satire of himself

Have to disagree about Jack. Sure, there's that 'persona' of him as joker/playboy etc. which sometimes he plays up to. But that's to ignore what a seriously good actor he is. 'Five Easy Pieces', 'The Last Detail', 'Chinatown', 'The Shining', 'Cuckoo's Nest', 'About Schmidt', 'King Of Marvin Gardens', 'The Pledge', 'The Crossing Guard', 'Ironweed'. All fine performances I think.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 11, 2006 11:19 am

I can't vote for any of them, although I like Hackman the most.

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 11, 2006 11:19 am

I like Nicholson, a fuck of a lot. Five Easy Pieces, The Last Detail, Chinatown all classic performances, and then he has The Pledge, one of the very very best old man turns any actor has done.

Hackman though, he's just fucking mighty. French Connection 1 & 2, Bonnie And Clyde, Night Moves (big up to Dennis) Unforgiven to name a few. Consistently committed to excellence in eveything he does. He may not have had the flashy roles, but few people can do the smarter than average everyman pushed to the edge like Hackman does it, he just has so much power and depth. A proper reflection of the human condition throughout his career.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 am

John-Locke wrote:Hackman is one of the most consistently great actors in the history of cinema.

Nuff said.

True.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
unikrunk wrote:I can't vote for any of them, although I like Hackman the most.

Have to disagree about Jack. Sure, there's that 'persona' of him as joker/playboy etc. which sometimes he plays up to. But that's to ignore what a seriously good actor he is. 'Five Easy Pieces', 'The Last Detail', 'Chinatown', 'The Shining', 'Cuckoo's Nest', 'About Schmidt', 'King Of Marvin Gardens', 'The Pledge', 'The Crossing Guard', 'Ironweed'. All fine performances I think.

I agree he is great in Cukoo and Chinatown. Maybe even The Shining.

Everthing else just comes off like Jack as Jack, at least to me. He is in my Pacino camp.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 am

Hackman deserves the Oscars that Nicholson and Hoffman possess -- not in competition with those two men, but in the quantities the two have. Look at these performances, some awarded, some nominated, some ignored.

Bonnie and Clyde
I Never Sang for My Father
The French Connection
Scarecrow
The Conversation
Night Moves
Hoosiers
Mississippis Burning
Unforgiven
The Royal Tenenbaums

I would argue that each of those merits at least an Oscar nomination.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm

Wow. The poll shows no love for the Rainman.

<threadjack>
Wouldn't it be funny if Hoffmann's Rainman character made babies with Rosie O'Donnell's character from that crappy TV Movie.

What was it, "Wednesdays with My Sister", or some shit?

That baby would be so dumb that it would create a genius vacuum.
</threadjack>
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:Wow. The poll shows no love for the Rainman.

<threadjack>
Wouldn't it be funny if Hoffmann's Rainman character made babies with Rosie O'Donnell's character from that crappy TV Movie.

What was it, "Wednesdays with My Sister", or some shit?

That baby would be so dumb that it would create a genius vacuum.
</threadjack>

Trouble with Hoffman is that in recent years he hasn't been taking any decent parts. He's been coasting in films that don't do justice to his talent -the talent that gave us ' 'Little Big Man', 'Wag The Dog', 'Straw Dogs', 'Tootsie', 'Lenny', 'Straight Time' and 'Midnight Cowboy'.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu May 11, 2006 1:40 pm

It looks to me like Jack isn't getting enough respect here. Sure, in his recent work (say, nineties and beyond) sometimes he just does Jack ("A Few Good Men", for example), but he still has the ability to convince me in his roles. Ever see "Hoffa"? Not the greatest film, but pretty good, and I thought he was excellent in it.

Hackman is the man, though. Doesn't take really showy roles, but he has a huge amount of credibility and, for lack of a better word, authority. He's like an acting Johnny Cash. When Cash sang, he had that authority - that sense of "This is how the song goes - stand back, the Man is teaching it to you." Hackman can do that in his roles. He's so casually commanding.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

minstrel wrote:It looks to me like Jack isn't getting enough respect here. Sure, in his recent work (say, nineties and beyond) sometimes he just does Jack ("A Few Good Men", for example), but he still has the ability to convince me in his roles. Ever see "Hoffa"? Not the greatest film, but pretty good, and I thought he was excellent in it.

Hackman is the man, though. Doesn't take really showy roles, but he has a huge amount of credibility and, for lack of a better word, authority. He's like an acting Johnny Cash. When Cash sang, he had that authority - that sense of "This is how the song goes - stand back, the Man is teaching it to you." Hackman can do that in his roles. He's so casually commanding.

You're right about Jack, he deserves more respect than perhaps he's been given so far- though I differ with you about his more recent work; 'About Schmidt' and 'The Pledge' are performances that rank amongst his best.

But, yes, for giving many consistently excellent performances over the decades coupled with a modesty in his work that belies it's true power, I'm going with Hackman - always highly watchable and effortlessly good, no matter how big or small the role or the movie. A class act.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 11, 2006 2:33 pm

OK, right of the bat I'm gonna say I don't care if any of them make any more good films. You know what that upstart Orson Welles said while talking to Peter Bogdanovich about some dead actress whose name I have forgotten:- Pete: "But she only made three good films..." Orson: "She only needed one".

I guess I kinda fuck up my point a little when I can't remember her name, but it'll come to me, and then you'll look like an idiot for ever doubting me.

So, with this in mind, I went for Mr. Hoffman. It's been a long time since he's been classic sure, (last film of his I really dug was Wag the Dog), but those classic films were gold. Papillon's probably my favourite...just because I loved the book and it was nice to see it put to images.

Although it has to be said Nicholson only just lost out- he made two of my favourite movies in the early 70's (The Last Detail and Five Easy Pieces) and the guy had VIVRE.

Hackman... I personally think he's winning because his career looks the most salvagable, but he never stood-out as much as those other two cats, apart from as Popeye Doyle.

EDIT: Turns out that sister our man Orson was rambling about was none other than Greta Garbo. Sorry for forgetting ya babe, it won't happen again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Maybe I'm the only one who feels that the majority of the time whilst watching Hackman he irritates the crap out of me. BTW he could easily be accused of treading water in recent years as Hoffman, who I voted for. Hackman always feels like he's Hackman no matter what he does, kind of a passive/aggressive commander thing always seeps into whatever he does.

But on thinking about it I shoulda put Nicholson after The Pledge and About Schmidt on top of his previous work.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Actor Discussion