Catfight! Blanchett v Paltrow

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Cate v Gwyneth: Who's The Better Actress?

Gwyneth Paltrow
11%
Cate Blanchett
89%

Total votes : 19

Catfight! Blanchett v Paltrow

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:25 pm

(Have done a quick search, so hopefully this one hasn't been posted before. Or else it's a 'go to jail' card complete with a lock! Apologies, though, if it has.)

With the upcoming awards season fast approaching - and not to mention the Zonie Awards - thought I'd post another in the harmless 'who-do-you-think-is-the-best-out-of-and-why' series that sometimes appears here.
This time up for consideration are....

In the blue corner...one Gwyneth Paltrow. Fragile, sensitive, and versatile.

In the red corner..... one Cate Blanchett. Incandescent, moving, cooly beautiful and incredibly versatile.

Two contempories, but who in your estimate is the finer actress?
Claws at the ready.....
Last edited by HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:28 pm

Mmm, I would deeply suprised if Blanchett didn't completely gleam Paltrow's macrobiotically perfect cubes here...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Blanchett all the way.

She's done everything from Oscar Wilde to Annie Proulx and she's barely recognizable in each role. You don't realize you are watching the same actress.

Paltrow is always Paltrow, with her upper lip pout and personal baggage. She's basically the same in everything.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm

this is like Ivan Drago vs Apollo Creed's wife. Blanchett has more acting talent in her nail clippings than Paltrow could ever muster.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Blanchett by a mile. Paltrow was nearly unwatchable in Proof, a plum role she helped butcher.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Ya - Blanchett by far...I'd rather see Blanchett VS Streep...that'd be a much better battle...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:40 pm

Forgot to add who I'd choose (doh!).

Of course, it has to be Blanchett. Paltrow maybe highly regarded in some quarters, but Cate leaves her in the starting blocks when it comes to versatility and depth and range.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:42 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Ya - Blanchett by far...I'd rather see Blanchett VS Streep...that'd be a much better battle...

That would be a good one. Maybe Streep would win that as her career has been a lot longer. Maybe Streep v Jodie Foster. Now that would be difficult! Maybe for another thread in a few days?
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Paltrow by a mile, she's better looking, has better acting chops and has proven time and again that she's the superior of the two.

Yeah right.

Blanchett all the way baby.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:Paltrow by a mile, she's better looking, has better acting chops and has proven time and again that she's the superior of the two.

Yeah right.

Blanchett all the way baby.

For a split-second, there, JL, you had me worried :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:45 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote: Maybe Streep v Jodie Foster.

Sounds good to me...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:50 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote: Maybe Streep v Jodie Foster.

Sounds good to me...

Maybe post this contest tomorrow, to give a little space between the the two?

Also, apologies for posting this thread in the 'Movie Reviews' section! :oops: I swore I pressed 'General Interest' - where it really should be, perhaps?
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:27 pm

I think Reviews is a better place myself as we are reviewing performances from various films.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:30 pm

I do quite like Paltrow, I've not seen her in much, but I thought she was funny in Sliding Doors and Shakespeare In Love.

Blanchett, though, she's just brilliant in everything really, even crap like Schumacher's Veronica Guerin.

You know it's the elf queen all the way.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Blanchett by a mile. Paltrow was nearly unwatchable in Proof, a plum role she helped butcher.

LOL - again with the PROOF lament - do you continue to be underwhelmed?

I'm saying Blanchett is the finer actress...but personal baggage or no, I'd rather get trapped in a lift with Paltrow the person.

I've never forgiven Blanchett for not contributing to the LOTR DVD extras - the aloof slapper.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:37 pm

I think part of Blanchett's charisma is undoubtedly from her as a person as much as her abilites as an actor aswell I would say.

I don't think there is a more critically praised, and yet embraced by those in the know female actor working.

Her individuality, whether it's her looks, her voice, just that indefinable thing of who she is from moment to moment, is what I think has alllowed her to be successfull in a medium where it's the person who's as important as the part.

I would imagine she would have been an incredibly popular person no matter what she did in life, I think.
Last edited by Flumm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:39 pm

Blanchett 10
Paltrow nil

I saw this one coming a kilometer away.

Blanchett & Paltrow even being in the same conversation is a mismatch.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:40 pm

Flumm wrote:I think it part of Blanchett's charisma is undoubtedly from her as a person as much as her abilites as an actor aswell I would say.

I don't think there is a more critically praised, and yet emraced by those in the know female actor working.

Her individuality, whether it's her looks, her voice, just that indefinable thing of who she is from moment to moment, is what I think has alllowed her to be successfull in a medium where it's the person who's as important as the part.

I would imagine she would have been an incredibly popular person no matter what she did in life, I think.

Balls! All actors "love" each other....until one of them leaves the room...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:LOL - again with the PROOF lament - do you continue to be underwhelmed?

I'm saying Blanchett is the finer actress...but personal baggage or no, I'd rather get trapped in a lift with Paltrow the person.

I've never forgiven Blanchett for not contributing to the LOTR DVD extras - the aloof slapper.

Really? I've always been under the impression Blanchett is a nice person and that Paltrow is the snob. Blanchett had new babies and The Aviator around the LOTR special editions so I'll give her a pass.

I've always been under the impression Paltrow is a big snob, but who knows....
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby The Vicar on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Paltrow was the one when asked about the Oscars, made a statement to the effect : "I hope anything but Lord of the Rings wins..."

Low.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:52 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I do quite like Paltrow, I've not seen her in much, but I thought she was funny in Sliding Doors and Shakespeare In Love.

Blanchett, though, she's just brilliant in everything really, even crap like Schumacher's Veronica Guerin.

Cate is my new Helen Mirren now that Mirren is less high-profile. Meaning I'd crawl on sharp rocks for a mile just so I could rise to my knees were she standing naked at the end.

Also, she's a marvelous actress. Never seen her give less than fine work.
But, Blanchett lovers, never watch the Australian TV miniseries Heartland. Even the talented Cate wilts under the press of mediocrity. In everything else I've loved her.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Flumm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:52 pm

I'm confused as to where the Balls!ing comes in there, Doc. :(

No actor's here present, part from Vic, but we speak essentilly as salty earthed movie fan's, no?

She is Queen of all she survays, from dressing rooms and outwards, I would say.

Born in another century she would probably be commanding armies, or leading us all to our watery graves or some suchness.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:54 pm

The Vicar wrote:Paltrow was the one when asked about the Oscars, made a statement to the effect : "I hope anything but Lord of the Rings wins..."

Low.

Oh really? Then if this was a World War, I've effectively sided with the Nazi's haven't I?

Damn.

Nicer uniform, but damn nonetheless.

Oh well, in for a dollar in for a pound

"....I don't care if it does look like a shower or not...get in there and shut your yapping....."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:55 pm

DennisMM wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I do quite like Paltrow, I've not seen her in much, but I thought she was funny in Sliding Doors and Shakespeare In Love.

Cate is my new Helen Mirren now that Mirren is less high-profile. Meaning I'd crawl on sharp rocks for a mile just so I could rise to my knees were she standing naked at the end.

Also, she's a marvelous actress. Never seen her give less than fine work.
But, Blanchett lovers, never watch the Australian TV miniseries Heartland. Even the talented Cate wilts under the press of mediocrity. In everything else I've loved her.

You will hopefully get to see the new and final Prime Suspect then Dennis, even I, who is bored to tears of Lynda La Plante and that sort of stuff thought it was bloody brilliant.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:58 pm

Flumm wrote:I'm confused as to where the Balls!ing comes in there, Doc.

Ever seen Withnail & I? It comes from a scene in that great film where it is used to express comical indignation.

"Balls! I'll swallow double that and run a mile..."

/obscure quotes.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:25 am

B*lls! too missing comically indignant obscure movie quotes...

As it be, I did sense there was comicality underneath the indignance, so it wasn't completely a plaintive cry for mercy there, Doc. ^^

Not unless there was actually subtextual selfmetapwnt...

In which case, my wounds are but my own to lick.

I suppose I shouldn't be suprised how quickly Blanchett karate acting chopped Paltrow of the top 15, either...

Did anyone think much of Gwyneth in Sylvia? I remember seeing that, and being a little taken back by the performance. It wasn't of Blanchett eyeball arresting magnitudes perhaps, but it was a long way from that general perception there is of teary waifyness that I think hovers around Paltrow at times, whether she invites it or not. She had some semblence of backbone, strength and definiation to the character, I remember thinking when watching it, especially considering how easy it would have been to have such a complex role and reduce it to that of a charicature of a emotionally fragile, broken, mentally unhealthy, woman.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:30 am

Paltrow has the best legs. I'm going with Paltrow. But I'd be watching Veronica Guerin in the morning when she serves me breakfast in bed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Return to Actor Discussion