"I Am THE Actress, Dammit!" - Foster v. Streep

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Jodie Foster v Meryl Streep: Who's The Better Actress?

Jodie Foster
39%
Meryl Streep
61%

Total votes : 33

"I Am THE Actress, Dammit!" - Foster v. Streep

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:16 am

Following on from the Blanchett v Paltrow contest (Cate winning by the proverbial mile, it seems. Quite right, too) another face-off between, this time, two true heavyweights actresses of modern cinema...

Jodie Foster v Meryl Streep.

First Jodie - astonishing child actress (Taxi Driver) who made the difficult transition into becoming one of the screen's most intelligent, unconventional and accomplished adult actresses.

Then Meryl - revered, multi-faceted, an actress without fear it seems, the female de Niro.

Both are near contemporaries. Both risk takers in the choice of their material. Both highly regarded within the Industry as any other American actress. So a tough call, this one. But on balance, who do you think edges it? If you had to choose, who would get your vote?

Because she's shown her all-roundness slightly more in the choice of roles she's played, I'm going with Streep. But only just. Foster certainly has the edge over her in terms of investing her characters with more emotional resonance and feeling. But I think Streep has proved the slightly more flexible actress. But it's a very close-call.

(Coming soon - how about three of four days time? - a couple of the men. Maybe Sean Penn v Daniel Day Lewis...)
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:30 am

Streep, she's still a looker today and can convincingly do sexy, she's equally as good at comedy as she is at dramatic and she really becomes the role shes playing, unlike Foster who is rarely seductive (if ever) can only do dramatic and only seems to become the character from time to time (Taxi Driver/The Accused).

No contest.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:38 am

What happened to Jodie? Flightplan? man...*shakes head*

Gonna have ta go with the Streep as well
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 am

John-Locke wrote:Streep, she's still a looker today and can convincingly do sexy, she's equally as good at comedy as she is at dramatic and she really becomes the role shes playing, unlike Foster who is rarely seductive (if ever) can only do dramatic and only seems to become the character from time to time (Taxi Driver/The Accused).

No contest.

I agree JL about Foster not really showing her range in comedic roles. Whether that's because she can't or just hasn't had/sought those kind of roles, I don't know. But I really think that, at her best, she has a great emotional depth and vunerability to her acting that is mightily effective.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:04 am

John-Locke wrote:Streep, she's still a looker today and can convincingly do sexy, she's equally as good at comedy as she is at dramatic and she really becomes the role shes playing, unlike Foster who is rarely seductive (if ever) can only do dramatic and only seems to become the character from time to time (Taxi Driver/The Accused).

No contest.

This sums up everything that I was going to say.

Streep me up!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:10 am

Jodie seems to have been using a crib sheet her last few movies and choosing the sorts of scripts she thinks can make her big again by drawing large audiences. Hasn't worked. Try to imagine Foster in A Prairie Home Companion, whether or not she can sing. Streep all the way.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:29 am

I don't think Foster is opposed to doing comedy rather that she simply doesn't find any to her taste. She's done comedy in the past. As she ages she probably finds fewer opportunities.

Streep has a big head start. Who knows where Foster will be in another 10 - 15 years? I've found Foster charming in several of her films, something I can't say of Streep. Streep is an impeccable actress, but she rarely appeals to me on an emotional level, unlike a lot of Foster's work.

I guess it's just a matter of taste.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:37 am

No contest.

Which is why I voted for Meryl.
Range.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:25 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:What happened to Jodie? Flightplan? man...*shakes head*

Same thing that happened to Streep in The River Wild...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Thin Man on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:26 am

I'm afraid I find Foster's acting style very mannered. It's as though she reads the script, sees that she is required to be sad/happy/pensive etc and pulls that emotion out of her standard bag of acting styles. I never get this feeling when seeing Streep act so she gets my vote.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:26 am

I went with Streep as well. I do think Foster can do comedy (I really like her in "Maverick," I think she's sexy and funny) but she's been picking too many mother-and-child-in-peril roles lately for my taste.

I think Foster could have played off several of Streep's roles. I could see her in "Adaptation" for example.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:41 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:What happened to Jodie? Flightplan? man...*shakes head*

But without it we would have one less movie to play the Kevin Bacon game. And would you want that on your conscience? No I thought not...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:59 am

havocSchultz wrote:

Eating & living indoors can be addictive.
Sometimes you do things you regret.
Hence, River Wild.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Well River Wild was a competent thriller and even something that would be considered relatively lightweight for Streep was still a helluva performance though. I didn't see anything failing in what the film or the actress tried to achieve. It was intended as a commercial hit anyway, and I believe it was.

Don't knock Jodie Foster on playing comedy either. She was very good in Maverick I film that I ABSOLUTELY HAAAAAAATE!!!!! But I mean, what other comedy roles have you guys seen her do to warrant such frowning on her comedic talents?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Don't knock Jodie Foster on playing comedy either. She was very good in Maverick I film that I ABSOLUTELY HAAAAAAATE!!!!! But I mean, what other comedy roles have you guys seen her do to warrant such frowning on her comedic talents?

I still have to say Maverick rocks. It is a fun and funny movie. Just as fun and funny as the TV show...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Maverick is on a par with Diner. 'Nuff said.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Fucking Diner.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:08 pm

I feel a bit weird about this, because I'm a Jodie Foster fan, and not a Meryl Streep fan. But I went with Streep.

Jodie is a highly intelligent woman who excels at playing highly intelligent women (Silence of the Lambs, Contact, etc.).

Meryl, however, can play anything. The range of her talent seems to be unlimited.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:25 pm

The real question is, who wins if they were doing radically extreme sports to a funky 80's pop sound track while riding a Christian Slater?*

The audience, that's w..!

Oh, actually, I suppose it would be Christian Slater firstly and foremostly... but then it would be the audience, that's who!

*Like some form of anthropomorphic actorly boogie board, as apposed to a... sexy ...board.**

** Although Streep does do a sensational, edge of the seat, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, sure to sweep the Oscars come awards season, sexy board accent....
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Damn you, Flumm.
You're supposed to pass to the right....

everyone knows this.....:)
The Vicar

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:10 pm

What's right for some, Vic, is wrong for others...

Yeah, so that's not really an apllicable response, but it almost is, and it's a pun, so it sounds smart, too, which is all that counts...

At least that's what Meryl Streep would say if I were making up a vague and ill defined context for her to say that right now to get me out of a week, overly complex and critically panned final act.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:11 pm

what?
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Exactly...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:15 pm

Damn.
I thought I missed something.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:16 pm

You missed the last go-around of the bowl...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:19 pm

Day late & a dollar short, as always....
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:19 pm

The Vicar wrote:Day late & a dollar short, as always....

I'll save you some resin...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 pm

You're such a sweet boy... ;)
The Vicar

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:02 pm

I always end up liking Streep more than I think I'm going to when I watch her films....and I often like Foster less than I expect to (I was on the bad guys side in Panic Room).

Both have some acting chops about them, its true - but Streep can take on just as heavy a role as Foster, but without the need to get so fucking precious about it in either preparation or interviews.

I also give Streep additional kudos for handling the Eighties the way she did, as an actress in her prime. The Eighties were rubbish, even by Hollywood's standards, if you were a serious actress. Women pretty much were objectified in everything and there was enormous pressure for every actress to go down that Scaachi/Turner road of "sultry whore".

This was the same decade that had Streep campaigning endlessly against this type of lazy casting and also for better pay for female leads. At the time she made herself very unpopular with TPTB and also ran the risk of damaging her career not inconsiderably. Ultimately though, a lot of today's actresses owe her a tip of their hat, if not an outright "Thank you".

She did kill that baby though......"Dingo" my ass..... :P
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:09 pm

Meryl Streep gets my vote. Foster is alright, but i don't think she has nearly the range that Streep does.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:21 pm

While neither is my faveorite actress, I went with Streep.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I always end up liking Streep more than I think I'm going to when I watch her films....and I often like Foster less than I expect to (I was on the bad guys side in Panic Room).

Both have some acting chops about them, its true - but Streep can take on just as heavy a role as Foster, but without the need to get so fucking precious about it in either preparation or interviews.

I also give Streep additional kudos for handling the Eighties the way she did, as an actress in her prime. The Eighties were rubbish, even by Hollywood's standards, if you were a serious actress. Women pretty much were objectified in everything and there was enormous pressure for every actress to go down that Scaachi/Turner road of "sultry whore".

This was the same decade that had Streep campaigning endlessly against this type of lazy casting and also for better pay for female leads. At the time she made herself very unpopular with TPTB and also ran the risk of damaging her career not inconsiderably. Ultimately though, a lot of today's actresses owe her a tip of their hat, if not an outright "Thank you".

She did kill that baby though......"Dingo" my ass..... :P

I guess it's even more of an accomplishment that not only did she keep her head above water, but she seemed to get Oscaor nommeed for all of her performances in the 80s. Also here's an interesting question.. DO you think that even against all the acting greats, Streep seemed to act what sems to be all of her male co stars off the screen, or at least give them a run for their money. I mean, as legendary as De Niro is in my books, he never SEEMED in my memory right now, to get across the same amount of emotion as Meryl Streep could. I heard she was the best thing in Ironweed too, rather than Jack Nicholson.

Where do yo uget all this info anyway Doc?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Where do you get all this info anyway Doc?

I overheard it from a couple of Dingo's down at that watering hole:

"The Abandoned Baby"

Oh the other stuff? Just a crusty old memory is how...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:50 pm

I'm gonna go with Jodie Foster. Meryl Streep is probably a better actress and has a better range, but I don't think she's done anything that tops The underaged drug addicted hooker in Taxi Driver, or the vulnerable yet remarkable FBI agent who gets jizz on the face in Silence of the Lambs, or a stern peg leg nun in Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys or the loose mother from Little Man Tate.

and Death Becomes Her sucked balls.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Jodie thanks ghey partner

not that there's anything wrong with that...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Streep is the better, more multi-dmensional actress.

With Foster, you get just one dimension... typically.
Seriously, she only seem to do strong femine types. The only comedy I can think that she was in in the past 20 years was Maverick, and that was kind of a meh movie anyways.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:13 am

Vegeta wrote:Streep is the better, more multi-dmensional actress.

Bah!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:58 am

I'd have to go with Streep on this one.

To me a great actor is someone who can play many roles: serious, comedic. One that doesn't deliver the same type of performance each time, even if it is an outstanding performance.

The last film I saw Streep in was "The Devil Wears Prada". She was truly remarkable in this film.

Foster is indeed a great actress, she has proven her worth in Taxi, Lambs, etc. However, she delivers the same kind of performance. I think the only time I may have seen her do a somewhat comedic role was in the original "Freaky Friday".

Both great actresses I just have to go with Streep as she can truly portray any character. She just becomes them. My favourite to date is "Out of Africa". "Bridges of Madison County" was another good one too.
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:02 pm

I've been in love with Jodie Foster since the beginning of time.

She's never done a single bad role for women.

Admittedly she's done a few bad films but never a bad role. She's intelligent, smart, charismatic and just down right gorgeous.

Out of all the women in the entire world I find her the most beautiful.

Too much info?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chilli on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Streep is a better actress, but I find her to be rather clinical. She doesn't appeal to me in terms of emotional resonance at all. Foster does, but she tends to make some strange acting choices from time to time that stop her from being out and out versatile.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Vegeta wrote:Streep is the better, more multi-dmensional actress.

With Foster, you get just one dimension... typically.
Seriously, she only seem to do strong femine types. The only comedy I can think that she was in in the past 20 years was Maverick, and that was kind of a meh movie anyways.

I HATE MAVERICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*RKING KITCHEN SINK MEDIOCRITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIE MAVERICK SCUM, DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Streep always residued warmth.

Foster always leaves me cold.

Just as you're doing now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:19 pm

But I LOVE JODIE!!!!

papalazeru

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:25 pm

I like Jodie because she was in Maverick. That's such a great movie IMO. Really fun.

How about Contact.....one of the better movies I ever saw up until the second ring machine. Geeze, they should re-film the end of it so I can have a good reason to call it one of the best sci-fi's evar.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 pm

F*rk this. I've had enough of this.

You're REALLY getting what you want today, aren't you? Yeah mate, you KNOW who I'm talking to!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 pm

godzillasushi wrote:I like Jodie because she was in Maverick. That's such a great movie IMO. Really fun.

How about Contact.....one of the better movies I ever saw up until the second ring machine. Geeze, they should re-film the end of it so I can have a good reason to call it one of the best sci-fi's evar.

You had to put a spanner in the works didn't you GS.

I think I'm going to cry now.

Still, great acting on her part.

Shittest ending EVA.

papalazeru

Postby minstrel on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 pm

papalazeru wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:I like Jodie because she was in Maverick. That's such a great movie IMO. Really fun.

Shittest ending EVA.

Have you ever seen A.I.?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:03 pm

minstrel wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Shittest ending EVA.

Have you ever seen A.I.?

That film with one of the best sci-fi endings ever?

Yeah, I did!

'The most intelligent thing you can do, is try not to be smarter than me.'
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:05 pm

AI was consistant throughout at least. Contact was an amazing experience that seemed to keep sliding down the hill as it went along. The bottom of the hill being the end.

EDIT: And that hill was a cliff that falls into lava that smells bad.

EDIT 2: And that lava boils twice as hot as anything ever.

EDIT 3: And that lava leads into a lava river that cools.

EDIT 4: And then 20 million years after that lava cooled some aliens cut through some ice and find it there.

EDIT 5: And the ending was so bad that it still lives. So the aliens kill it.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:12 pm

godzillasushi wrote:AI was consistant throughout at least. Contact was an amazing experience that seemed to keep sliding down the hill as it went along. The bottom of the hill being the end.

I can understand the ending and the whole journey though the gates is amazing - better than stargate if you're smoking the week (debatable). But....her fucking father....HER FUCKING FATHER......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

She's still hot though.

papalazeru

Next

Return to Actor Discussion