All-Purpose Harrison Ford Discussion Thread.

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:36 pm

Ford's done nothing any good at all for at least 12 years. He needs to embrace old age not run from it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Look, when I was a kid, I modelled myself on Harrison Ford, in particular that film too. I figured it was a great way at pulling chicks, only I couldn't pull a trigger of a gun when it came down to it, so the Ford persona could only go so far - but it did work though.

And did you manage to pull your very own Kelly McGillis? And was she impressed?
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:44 pm

I would have thought that Ford's best stuff is ahead of him. He'll dump his action hero stuff, and get on with great character work or at least work in stuff a bit more substantial. Did you know that when approaced by Martin Scorsese to be in Cape Fear, Ford said, only if he could play Max Cady? Even then, he wanted to break free from whatever persona you want to call what he fell into. Now that his running days are over, maybe he'll show greater range of characters now. God knows he is convincing enough to pull them off. Even I have a lot of regard for K19. I know his accent was shallow and he might feel uncomfortable to watch in that role, but a lot of that is down to us lot not being ready to see him do such a character, but as that film went on, he actually did become more and more acceptable in that film. That scene where SPOLIERS Liam Neeson releases him from the cuffs after the Mutiny has taken place, Harrison does give quite an intense scene, you can see he's feeling overwhelmed at that point.

I've got tons of faith in this guy, always had. I think he'll do some extraordinary work if he chooses correctly.

BTW, this is all beginning to sound like the Harrison Ford thread that I did ages ago. Forgot what it was called.

Mods, Dog, can you guys help out with the situation? Threads are colliding!!!

Oh I think I pulled a few Kellys with Harrison Ford. But then again, I would have done so without him.

So not many then.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:49 pm

The Cape Fear story is really interesting - I would have thought that if He'd attempted to go through the breakdown and demoralisation that Nick Nolte does in Cape Fear (one of his best performances that I've seen), it might have made pretty interesting viewing. Maybe he was just busy building something out of wood when Marty called.

Top Gun Kellys or Witness Kellys? You don't mean the Accused Kellys?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby doglips on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I would have thought that Ford's best stuff is ahead of him. He'll dump his action hero stuff, and get on with great character work or at least work in stuff a bit more substantial. Did you know that when approaced by Martin Scorsese to be in Cape Fear, Ford said, only if he could play Max Cady? Even then, he wanted to break free from whatever persona you want to call what he fell into. Now that his running days are over, maybe he'll show greater range of characters now. God knows he is convincing enough to pull them off. Even I have a lot of regard for K19. I know his accent was shallow and he might feel uncomfortable to watch in that role, but a lot of that is down to us lot not being ready to see him do such a character, but as that film went on, he actually did become more and more acceptable in that film. That scene where SPOLIERS Liam Neeson releases him from the cuffs after the Mutiny has taken place, Harrison does give quite an intense scene, you can see he's feeling overwhelmed at that point.

I've got tons of faith in this guy, always had. I think he'll do some extraordinary work if he chooses correctly.

BTW, this is all beginning to sound like the Harrison Ford thread that I did ages ago. Forgot what it was called.

Oh I think I pulled a few Kellys with Harrison Ford. But then again, I would have done so without him.

So not many then.

What do you want me to do? This is already 2 pages, I can lock the old thread and rename this one......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:54 pm

I sorta prefer Nick Nolte's performance in that film to De Niro's I think. I think he's so underrated in that, just 'cos he plays a normal straight guy. But I think not only does he nail the character so well and makes it more interesting than it might read on paper, but whereas De Niro isn't always as scary as he should be, Nick Nolte accomplishes more with the work he has to do, than what De Niro does.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby doglips on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Answer me bitch.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:56 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I would have thought that Ford's best stuff is ahead of him. He'll dump his action hero stuff, and get on with great character work or at least work in stuff a bit more substantial. Did you know that when approaced by Martin Scorsese to be in Cape Fear, Ford said, only if he could play Max Cady? Even then, he wanted to break free from whatever persona you want to call what he fell into. Now that his running days are over, maybe he'll show greater range of characters now. God knows he is convincing enough to pull them off. Even I have a lot of regard for K19. I know his accent was shallow and he might feel uncomfortable to watch in that role, but a lot of that is down to us lot not being ready to see him do such a character, but as that film went on, he actually did become more and more acceptable in that film. That scene where SPOLIERS Liam Neeson releases him from the cuffs after the Mutiny has taken place, Harrison does give quite an intense scene, you can see he's feeling overwhelmed at that point.

So not many then.

What do you want me to do? This is already 2 pages, I can lock the old thread and rename this one......

Slap your hands together. Keep them together. Breath hard and deeply, close your eyes. Pray to the almight Zone God Harry, and conjur up your merging powers.

Or just leave things alone. I dunno. Man have I gotta do ALL the work for you Mods all the time?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Blimmin' Mods always asking me for help all the time. I want my name in red, damnit!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby doglips on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Done, all Harrison Ford related discussion in here from now on please.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Blimmin' Mods always asking me for help all the time. I want my name in red, damnit!!!

You know it comes up in pink now - Cpt Kirks 2pay
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:00 pm

My other thread! You destroyed it!!!!!

Might be a good idea to put a link up to my other one, just in case people get confused and need it for reference.

Man, how much have I gotta instruct you Mods to run this place?!
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby doglips on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Actually, I think all the other Ford discussions have happened in other threads, there is no Harrison Ford thread - they are mostly Indy related, mostly. I locked your cuntryman trail thread instead.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:04 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Actually, I think all the other Ford discussions have happened in other threads, there is no Harrison Ford thread - they are mostly Indy related, mostly. I locked your cuntryman trail thread instead.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I love doglips. :P
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I sorta prefer Nick Nolte's performance in that film to De Niro's I think. I think he's so underrated in that, just 'cos he plays a normal straight guy. But I think not only does he nail the character so well and makes it more interesting than it might read on paper, but whereas De Niro isn't always as scary as he should be, Nick Nolte accomplishes more with the work he has to do, than what De Niro does.

Nolte was better in that movie. Far, far better than De Niro who, to be honest, spoilt the whole thing for me. He was so over-the-top that he almost come across as comedic - there was no meance whatsoever in his characterisation, no danger, no threat. Just a feeling of seeing that rare thing: De Niro overacting to the point of badness. And, after seeing the original on TCM some time later, he looked positively awful next to Robert Mitchum who played the same character. Now, Mitchum was frightening, you believed his Cady would do real harm.
If it wasn't for Nolte's more restrained, reflective performance the movie would have sunk totally IMO.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:46 pm

I think it's underrated and just damn unlucky that Nick Nolte hasn't won an Oscar yet. I am still trying to see Affliction, but keep missing the oppotunity. Anyone seen that film? I think he was thoroughly brilliant in The Thin Red Line, and I am hoping to see him in The Good Thie..... OH NO MY NEIGHBOURS ARE SHAGGEEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I think it's underrated and just damn unlucky that Nick Nolte hasn't won an Oscar yet. I am still trying to see Affliction, but keep missing the oppotunity. Anyone seen that film? I think he was thoroughly brilliant in The Thin Red Line, and I am hoping to see him in The Good Thie..... OH NO MY NEIGHBOURS ARE SHAGGEEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Kirk, Affliction is one raw movie. A real anguished film and Nolte is a revelation in it and what's even better he's matched all the way by James Coburn. Two powerhouse performances.
I've hardly ever seen the emotions of men (in particular) laid out so open and unsparing like they are in this film. And that it's in a relatively mainstream American movie makes it even more surprising to me.
I'd say it's not a comfortable movie, infact it's a pretty despairing one I thought, but I'm glad I saw it. Infact, it's long overdue for another screening in this household.
Definitely recommended.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:51 pm

It'll go on my hit list then. I did actually get that film out whilst in a NZ Hostel, but no one else could make it through the uneventful first 1/2 hour. I reluctantly had to stop it. I do remember seeing a Preview clip of Nick Nolte laying on the floor and his dad telling him that he loves him. Don't spoil what that scene meant, but that scene gave away what seems to be what you're talking about anyway. I still say, no matter how successful and regarded he is now, that Nick Nolte still is an underrated and underappreciated actor. He's right up there with all the other present day greats. An actor friend of mine actually said that he has her favourite actor's face. Who else agrees here?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Speaking of Nolte, has anyone seen Peaceful Warrior? I had never even heard of that film, but I recently saw a trailer, and two things shocked me:

1. Nolte looked pretty good in it, and not too "over the top"
and
2. It looks like they actually made a compelling film about male gymnastics.

I'm actually interested in seeing it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: All-Purpose Harrison Ford Discussion Thread.

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:31 am

From 24 FRAMES:
What happened to Harrison Ford?
He traversed distant galaxies with Chewbacca, shot sword-wielding assassins with Marion Ravenwood and outfoxed federal marshal Samuel Gerard all by himself.

But these days all those things may as well have happened to a different actor than Harrison Ford, who in the last decade has robbed banks, sought rare cures, captained Russian subs and investigated murders of hip-hop stars, all in the land of obscurity. ("Firewall," "Extraordinary Measures," "K-19: The Widowmaker" and "Hollywood Homicide," if you were trying to guess what movies those were.)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I'll tell YOU when the mission is over!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Already posted this in the CONAN thread, but this is too watchable to only post it once.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 am

sadly, most Harrison Ford performances are soulless now as well.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Mark Hamill in Discussions for Role in New 'Star Wars' Films

The star of the original trilogy says series creator George Lucas promised that if he did not want to act in the new movies, his character would be killed off.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Peter Weir's 'Mosquito Coast'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 am

Motion Captured:
Movie Rehab: Harrison Ford goes mad in the jungle in Peter Weir's 'Mosquito Coast'
Why was his best performance rejected so completely by audiences?
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Harrison Ford has been seriously injured in a plane crash, according to various reports. Apparently his single-person plane crash landed on a CA golf course.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/har ... sh-n318301

apparently his injuries were initially described as "critical" but are now being described as "serious". Either way, really hope he's ok. Tough year for injuries...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Sounds like he just has some gashes on his head. But damn.

Is it sad that my first thoughts were whether or not Han Solo's story ends in the new movie? :oops:
Because I'm one sad, guilty motherfucker.

Edit: He is listed as "fair" now.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Fievel wrote:
Is it sad that my first thoughts were whether or not Han Solo's story ends in the new movie? :oops:
Because I'm one sad, guilty motherfucker.

what a dick.

me too :oops:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 pm

if that wasn't your first thought then you are no real SW fan

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:58 pm

c'mon man, we just lost spock. we can't lose han solo too.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 am

From what I understand, Harrison Ford is one tough SOB. My guess is that he'll pull through.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:46 pm

maybe now ford will finally learn his lesson about flying with sean connery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTXWaQkCuE&t=3m04s
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:47 pm

TheBaxter wrote:maybe now ford will finally learn his lesson about flying with sean connery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTXWaQkCuE&t=3m04s

He may gain Chuck Norris status after this.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: All-Purpose Harrison Ford Airplane Thread.

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Harrison Ford-Narrated Aviation Movie to Debut in April
National Geographic Studios will release “How To Crash Your Airplane,” in April, the studio announced Thursday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: All-Purpose Harrison Ford Airplane Thread.

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 pm

TheButcher wrote:National Geographic Studios will release “How To Crash Your Airplane,” in April, the studio announced Thursday.

IPAMPILASH!

(get well soon Mr. Ford :oops: )
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

All-Purpose Harrison Ford Airplane Thread 2017 Edition

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 pm

i hate to say this, but... someone needs to take Han Solo's pilot's license away.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Someone's certainly in for some angry finger-pointing.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion