Best Cruise To Date?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Best Performance? At a Cruise I'd say...

Interview With the Vampire
2%
Risky Business
2%
Legend
4%
Top Gun
6%
The Color of Money
4%
Cocktail
No votes
Rain Man
2%
Born on the Fourth of July
15%
A Few Good Men
4%
The Firm
4%
Jerry Maguire
4%
Eyes Wide Shut
2%
Mission Impossible
4%
Magnolia
17%
The Last Samurai
No votes
War of the Worlds
2%
Collateral
19%
Minority Report
No votes
Vanilla Sky
6%
Days of Thunder
2%
Taps
2%

Total votes : 52

Best Cruise To Date?

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:55 am

Love him....loathe him....or simply claim to be the actual father of his child (I'm looking at you, Asia) - there can be no denying The Cruisester has long reigned high in the Box Office charts. And he's got quite a body of work behind him now too, to the point where most people - if they're honest - could pick at least one movie out where they thought he didn't do half bad.

Perhaps to you he'll always be Frank TJ Mackie [Magnolia]...educating you how to turn that "Special Friend" into something more...or maybe you thought he actually didn't suck in Eyes Wide Shut....or perhaps appreciated his turn as The Last Samurai. Hell, you may just even like you some orthodox Tom - be it "That's right I'm dangerous" Maverick, Cocktail, Risky Business and all the other (and Christ, but there have been many) incarnations in between.

Me, I'm going with COLLATERAL - I thought he did an excellent turn in that - for once he allowed himself to actually be directed and as a result its the closest he's come yet, for me, to breaking away from simply playing himself - just pipping Magnolia by a hair.

Over to you!
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:08 am

For me it's a toss up between Collateral, Magnolia and Born on the Fourth of July, but July got my vote since he's totally unhinged in that film.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:27 am

I love The Firm. Ive watched that one so many times.

My other top Cruise favorites: Color of Money, Born on the 4th, MI 1, Interview With The Vampire, A Few Good Men.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:31 am

When I look at that list, I only see about four and a half films where Cruise actually acts out a character.

The rest just have him appearing as Tom Cruise.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:31 am

I went for Collateral as well - I agree that along with Magnolia it's his finest acting work, relting the least on his smirking and 'charisma'. I'd also like to give a shout out to 'All the right Moves' a high school football movie Cruise did in the early eighties. He's about to finish high school and trying to get a Football scholarship, his dad and brother (Chris Penn?) work in some kind of factory, their dreams long ago crushed.... yeah it's a simple, ver familiar scenario, I'm pretty sure Craig T Nelson plays the coach - but, Cruise gives a pretty effective performance that is genuinely affecting, nothing at all cringe-worthy, very authentic. I really liked it.

There's also a sex scene with Lea Thompson where, either through very good body double work or some kind of coercion, she takes her top off.

I'd go for Risky Business over Cocktail.
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tangerine on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:34 am

Personally I'm a huge fan of Vanilla Sky, though I do realise acting-wise he's done more impressive stuff, Magnolia of course is excellent, as is Born on the Fourth of July. I haven't actually seen Collateral - should I?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:35 am

*nods enthusiastically*

Its a Michael Mann pic...so moody ambient lighting is in abundance. Strong character work done right down the cast - Mark Ruffalo often gets overlooked in this movie in deference to Cruise and Jamie Foxx....but he steals every single scene he is in.

It gets a little contrived towards the end - but by that stage you should be so engrossed you are unlikely to care...
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:46 am

Bollocks, I just voted for 'Top Gun' for fun, then realised that yes, he is actually very good indeed in Magnolia, so being honest, I would have voted for that. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen the vast majority of the films he's appeared in - but then again, the amount of films I have seen in general is pretty small.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby tangerine on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:48 am

Doc Holliday wrote:*nods enthusiastically*

Its a Michael Mann pic...so moody ambient lighting is in abundance. Strong character work done right down the cast - Mark Ruffalo often gets overlooked in this movie in deference to Cruise and Jamie Foxx....but he steals every single scene he is in.

It gets a little contrived towards the end - but by that stage you should be so engrossed you are unlikely to care...

I never really planned on watching it, but it does sound excellent. Will def watch it.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:26 am

Cruise is pretty good in Vanilla Sky, as well. I thought is was a poor second to the Spanish original Abre los ojos at first, but I've watched it a few times, and the subtle, more decidedly science fiction elements, and the judicious use of radiohead's music and the score generally, have won me over to think that it's a movie that does stand on it's own legs. There's a really narcisstic aspect to Cruise's role - his mental breakdown is linked to the loss of his looks, that works for me. I can almost, almost buy the film's end now, too - I'm sure they are ripping off a story by Phillip K Dick, but hell, they do it better than most of the film's wholly adapted from Dick's work (with the obvious exeption of Bladerunner).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:35 am

tapehead wrote:I'm sure they are ripping off a story by Phillip K Dick, but hell, they do it better than most of the film's wholly adapted from Dick's work (with the obvious exeption of Bladerunner).

Influenced by "Ubik".

Which may very well be a film itself soon.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 am

Vanilla Sky is one of those films I shouldn't have watched stoned. I've only seen it the once and if I'm honest could probably take up a whole page of the "Bits in movies I just don't get" thread on this film alone.....but I know that that is largely because I spent half the time watching the filmand the other half the time looking out of my window and thinking things like "Ooooooh! A Butterfly! Pretty!" :oops:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:40 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Best Cruise To Date?

Am I the only one who read that in the top 15 and thought that Doc wanted to date Tom Cruise?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:41 am

Fried Gold wrote:
tapehead wrote:I'm sure they are ripping off a story by Phillip K Dick, but hell, they do it better than most of the film's wholly adapted from Dick's work (with the obvious exeption of Bladerunner).

Influenced by "Ubik".

Haven't read Ubik properly yet :oops: Possible Spoilers - but there's a short story about a passenger on a starship who keeps waking from the suspended animation he's been put in for the length of the journey, and the ship's computer keeps trying to keep him entertained by playing back to him his memories of his life, and they keep changing, and he keeps waking up... can't remember it's name though.
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:41 am

PAMP!

I'm available most evenings and could bring my own footstool.....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 am

great thread...

I'm a TC fan (but not in a ghey way), so this is a tough one for me.

I went with A Few Good Men for the courtroom showdown with Jack. That's some fine back-and-forth right there.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 am

Caffey: DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?!!

Jessup: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DIIIID!

Great moment. :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 am

John-Locke wrote:

Am I the only one who read that in the top 15 and thought that Doc wanted to date Tom Cruise?

I thought he was just a fan of Kathie Lee Gifford's commercials for this...

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am

havocSchultz wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

For me the impossible dream would be a mix of the two. But a liner would be unnecessary - I'd love to get Tiny Tom on a Tug.

Oo-er, obviously. :shock:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:57 am

tapehead wrote:Cruise is pretty good in Vanilla Sky, as well. I thought is was a poor second to the Spanish original Abre los ojos at first, but I've watched it a few times, and the subtle, more decidedly science fiction elements, and the judicious use of radiohead's music and the score generally, have won me over to think that it's a movie that does stand on it's own legs. There's a really narcisstic aspect to Cruise's role - his mental breakdown is linked to the loss of his looks, that works for me. I can almost, almost buy the film's end now, too - I'm sure they are ripping off a story by Phillip K Dick, but hell, they do it better than most of the film's wholly adapted from Dick's work (with the obvious exeption of Bladerunner).

That film is utterly utterly ruined by Noah Taylor turning towards the audience and breaking the foruth wall by suggesting we are his veiwing panel from the future. Aaaaaargh, it makes me fucking cringe every damn time. I love everything else about it though, even Penelope Cruz even though I don't buy her an Toms relationship for one second. I prefer Aubre Les Ojos if only because the lack of sci-fi type stuff and the more realistic atmosphere makes the complications and revelations all the more shocking and twisted.

*sigh*

I'll have to give it a rewatch, maybe I'll just mute the Noah Taylor bit.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Yeah - you either have to make that leap (see what I did there?) or it's a pretty unsatisfying conclusion. I can sorta buy it now.... sorta.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:41 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

For me the impossible dream would be a mix of the two. But a liner would be unnecessary - I'd love to get Tiny Tom on a Tug.

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:58 pm

Magnolia for me. I thought he caught the essence of that character just right and pitched it at the right tone, too. To give him his due he gave a good account of himself in Born On The Fourth Of July as well. It was a decent character study and you could see he was really trying hard to bring an aura of authenticity to the role. And on the whole he succeeded.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Image

HAHAHA!

"WHOO-WHOOOOO!"
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Caffey: DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?!!

Jessup: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DIIIID!

Great moment. :)

I gotta to tell a you, this is a where a the movie, she lost a the Dino, eh? There's a no way that a the guy like a the Jack was a just a gonna to be goaded anna tricked anna confess a like a that, eh? Totally unna'believeable to me, no? It remind a the Dino of a the old Duck Season/Wabbit Season...

Bugs: Duck Season!
Daffy: Wabbit Season!
Bugs: Wabbit Season!
Daffy: Duck Season!
Bugs: Wabbit Season!
Daffy: I say it's a the Duck Season, so SHOOT! >BLAM!<
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:16 pm

Ya but The Dino, he was so full of himself, it was just a matter of Caffey pushing the right button before Jessup exploded and showed himself for what he truly was: A guy who thought he was God. That was the genius of Caffey, he knew how to push those buttons on Ol Jessup.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Hehehe... mebbe so... A the jury, she is a still out for a me, though... hehehe...

Did a you see a what I did there? A the "Jury"?

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:24 pm

The Jur- Oh Hahahahaha!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:24 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Image

I take your Tugboat and raise you a Shockmaster.

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Well I liked Legend but not for him. Props to TC!!

So I chose Magnolia
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:59 am

Hell yea! Days of Thunder!!!!! Woot!

He sure has made a ton of great movies.

LE EDIT: In all seriousness, I think Minority Report might be my favorite.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:38 pm

i would've voted for the oprah winfrey couch-jumping episode, but since it's not listed, i went with magnolia
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:39 pm

Days of Blunder! Thats the movie where one of the actresses actually calls him "Tom" IN THE FILM!!! LOL!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i would've voted for the oprah winfrey couch-jumping episode, but since it's not listed,

That wasn't acting, that was insanity.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Born on the Fourth of July. One of my favourite movies, and movie star performances.

I'll make this short, and say that this is the only time when I can really say that I 'loved' Cruise's work in a film. Not just real sincerity and heart, but so brave, raw and even ugly a side to show from a star actor. To have a performance so stripped bare but to be so moving, harrowing and powerful, plus really show that he was a real nice loveable guy at the bottom of it all, it got such an emotional response from me when I first saw it. I still watch clips of it to this day.

Shame he fucked up all this affection with Days of Chunder though eh?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Serious role: Collateral. I was very pleasantly surprised by him in that role.

Fun role: Risky Business. A classic.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I am going with The Firm, always really enjoyed that film. Though it may have to do with the other actors in it as well...

Hal Holbrook
Gene Hackman
Holly Hunter
Ed Harris
Wilford Brimley (who actually utters "cocksucker" or "motherfucker" in it)
...ect
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 pm

I thought it was brilliant the way that Gene Hackman eventually got you to really feel sorry for him at the end, and in a way that really made you concentrate and imagine all the shit that had happened to him also. That's acting I guess, the less you do (he was so effortless in those last scenes) the more you make your viewers think, therefore the more effect you have on the audience's psyches.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Vegeta wrote:I am going with The Firm, always really enjoyed that film. Though it may have to do with the other actors in it as well...

Hal Holbrook
Gene Hackman
Holly Hunter
Ed Harris
...ect

Sir, you have good taste. Dont forget Gary Busey (who steals the scene hes in with Cruise) and the great David Strathairn.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm confused, i thought magnolia and vanilla sky were the same film....

I wondered why people were saying magnolia was good, when i thought they meant vanilla sky... oh well, i haven't seen it it would appear...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:13 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I am going with The Firm, always really enjoyed that film. Though it may have to do with the other actors in it as well...

Hal Holbrook
Gene Hackman
Holly Hunter
Ed Harris
...ect

Sir, you have good taste. Dont forget Gary Busey (who steals the scene hes in with Cruise) and the great David Strathairn.

Thanks, and you're right Gary Busey was pretty awesome in his two scenes.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:13 pm

Born on the Fourth of July is probably my favourite flick that the little buck-toothed dwarf guy has starred in.

Does anyone remember watching Cruise on Parkinsons where he admitted that he used to make out with his sisters?

That scene where he's strapped to the hospital bed, staring down at a puddle of his own sick always gets me.

Seriously, he said that his sisters used to practise snogging him when he was a kid. It kind of explains a lot when you think about it.

Not to mention that scene where he comes back drunk as hell and gets in a fight with his mother.

And all Parkinson could do was laugh nervously. I bet he was thinking, "where's Billy Connolly when I need him?"

The movie's hardly perfect, but I actually prefer it to Platoon and Full Metal Jacket when it comes to Vietnam movies.

I think that must have been the moment when I first realised that this guy is a wee bit off-key. And by "a wee bit", I mean so crazy that he probably dismounted his TV looking for god-chips (containing hidden code left to us by the aliens who built Noah's Ark).

This movie and a few others he made (including movies like The Outsiders and Risky Business, which are corny as hell, but also damn watchable) showed that he really does have his own acting style that lies somewhere between method acting and showing up and reading your lines. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever really disliked a Cruise movie all that much, and the only common denominator I can think of is Tom Cruise. He's not really that bad after all.

The guy's a fucking human trainwreck. Maybe when he got the dentist to lob off the ends of those buckteeth, he gave him a lobotomy on the side. I can't think of any other more viable explanations for his blanco vato loco'ness than that.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:24 pm

That was the greenest post Ive ever seen!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:26 pm

HAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and one of the best, most different but clever nad damn right enviable styled posts I've read here.

Born on the Fourth of July does have so many great scenes. Sepp's named many already, in particular the drunken shouting scene with his mother.

Ron Kovic went through so much interior hell, and that film really does show it. It screams and shouts in such a naked fashion. No Havoc, that is not a cue to make fun of me!!

How about 5 scenes off the top of my head?

Tom Cruise at the end at the re election of Richard Nixon, kicking off and shouting loud on national television?

Tom Cruise's homecoming, telling his mother 'it's OK, it's OK'? Nothing to the performance you might think, but it is so relieving and moving.

Tom Cruise getting it on with the Mexican prostitute, Lia Elana or whatever her name is.

Tom Cruise fight with Willem Dafoe in one of his most effective performances, resulting in the 'What are we gonna do man?' little scene at the end.

Tom Cruise admitting to the family of SPOILERS Wilson, a fellow soldier in 'Nam, that he might have killed him.

Too many more to mention. At the time of seeing it, I thought that Born was better than Platoon even. Hmmm, I dunno if I do/don't agree with this still. It certainly is more emotionally effective, and I wouldn't say that it's down to manipulation, as Ron Kovic/Oliver Stone and Tom Cruise had such a great understanding for what Ron went through, that the film just seems so honest when you consider this.

Oh, and don't forget to give a shout out to one of John Williams's most emotional pieces of music too.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:28 pm

PAMP!

Sepp - I demand that you make all future posts in that style. In the meantime, change your av:

Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby yaz67 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:28 pm

Not on the list but I would go with All the Right Moves first and a close second to Born on the Fourth of July. I do think that even though it was a very good film, All the Right Moves was a lame title for the film.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:29 am

tapehead wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Influenced by "Ubik".

Haven't read Ubik properly yet :oops: Possible Spoilers - but there's a short story about a passenger on a starship who keeps waking from the suspended animation he's been put in for the length of the journey, and the ship's computer keeps trying to keep him entertained by playing back to him his memories of his life, and they keep changing, and he keeps waking up... can't remember it's name though.

where did you hear that FG? 'Cuz of all Dick's books, "Ubik" is 'prolly my fave.

Tape, that story's called "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon"...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:00 am

Either "Interview with the Vampire" or "Austin Powers in Goldmember". That's probably because I have an Elegant Gothic Aristocrat thing....and he was in a frilly lace cravat in the latter.

But I seriously think he needs to be brainwashed out of that Scientology cult.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Tape, that story's called "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon"...

Aha! - think it's in the 'Beyond Lies the Wub' collection of shorts I have in storage.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:49 pm

I went with Born of the 4th of July. It's one of his only films where I feel like he's not being Tom Cruise, and he's actually playing someone else. Collateral gets second for me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Next

Return to Actor Discussion