When They Were Young... (Actors' Breakout Roles)

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Carolian wrote:
tapehead wrote:
t hedoglippedone wrote:Wel l I know I tend to defend her but that's cos I actually like her as an actress - I can remember watching Reese Witherspoon in Fear and thinking she was pretty good.

Then came Pleasantville which I love, Cruel Intentions, Election (one of my favourite movies) Best Laid Plans, American Psycho and she's great in all of them. Sure, she seems to have taken a different path now ( she is actually pretty funny as Elle Woods ) but with performances like she gave in Walk The Line, hopefully her future career will be peppered with gems amongst the Hollywood fare.

I saw her in Freeway, which I think pre-dates Fear - it is quite the breakout performance - and very different from most of what she's done since. I was actually fairly disappointed by her until Election came along. Brittany Murphy has a very small role in Freeway too - first time I laid eyes on her, as well as Keifer Sutherland playing against his predominant type as a spectacular gentleman.

Maaaaaaaan! I can't believe someone else has seen FREEWAY! I just re-watched that a month or two ago, for the first time in years and years. What a fucked up little movie that is.

Freeway is one badass fucked up insane movie. I love it. Keifer Sutherland and Brooke Shields best work. Has anyone seen Matthew Bright's other fucked up fairytale; Confessions Of Trickbaby starring Natasha Lyonne and reactionarycunt/semi genius Vincent Gallo. Freeway is Little Red Riding Hood and Confessions Of A Trickbaby is Hansel and Gretel. Both fantastic post-modernist exploitation films.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I actually just found out about TRICKBABY when I IMDBd FREEWAY to see what else he'd directed. I really, really want to see it now. And yeah, Kiefer is awesome in the movie, even after... well, after he starts to look a little different, so to speak. Trying to avoid spoilers.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Noice thread Doc.

I remember seeing Johnny Depp in Nightmare on Elm Street. And you know, the people are right, the guy really is a great character actor; always taking on different roles, never doing the same thing twice. The proof is in the fact that not ONCE since NOES has he featured in a role in which he gets eaten by a bed. He's so dreamy in Nightmare too...

A few others:

Gwyneth Paltrow in Se7en.

Kate Beckinsale in Shooting Fish.

I think I first saw Rutger Hauer in The Hitcher (it wasn't till a few years after when I saw Bladerunner).

Laurence Fishburne in Apocalypse Now

Tupac in Juice or that one where he and Tim Roth try and find a detox clinic. Can't remember which one I saw first.

Gary Busey in Big Wednesday

Bruce Willis in Moonlighting

Jeremy Piven on the Larry Sanders Show

Harry in the Faculty.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:16 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Gael García Bernal in Amores perros, he definitely came good on his initial promise as an actor.

Seconded, dog. Bernal is well on his way to becoming Mexico's Gerard Depardieu if he continues like he is. You could see how promising he was in Amores Perros.

I remember seeing Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth for the first time and knew then she was something special. She blew everyone off the screen and, I thought, this lady's going places. Big time.

I also remember watching Giovanni Ribisi's death scene in Saving Private Ryan and being quite moved. It was only brief but I thought 'this guy can really act well'.

I first saw Paddy Considine in In America - still a pretty neglected movie I think - and he was first class. Then along came Dead Man's Shoes of course.

And, of course, there was the uber-talented Vincent Cassel in La Haine. I knew there and then I was watching one of best actors around. And one of the best he most certainly still is.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:23 pm

havocSchultz wrote:How 'bout Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting?

He hadn't done anything too noticeable before that...

And Matthew McConaughey in A Time to Kill...

Sandra Bullock in Demolition Man...?

Some earlier roles:

Damon was in Mystic Pizza

McConaughey was in Dazed and Confused

Sandra Bullock was in The Thing Called Love
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Not that I'm a massive fan of Jack Black, but I first saw him in Cable Guy as Steven's mate Rick. He was on screen for maybe 8 mins in total, but he completely stole the show!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:29 pm

The Cable Guy is a great movie! I remember Jack was also in Dead Man Walking. He played Sean Penns brother.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:The Cable Guy is a great movie!

"I learned the facts of life.... from watching 'The Facts of Life'!!!!"

Excellent!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm

"The passthword isssth....I dont know how to say thith...ya know that little piece of skin down there?"
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:53 pm

hahaha... and when he pretends to walk off (through the peephole) and then throws himself on the door.... omg. brilliant. aaanyway... nuff about cable guy?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Speaking of Jim Carrey (and yes, THE CABLE GUY IS TOTALLY UNDERRATED), he was awesome in HIGH STRUNG, for the short amount of time he was in it.

Man, now I keep thinking of more of these! Brad Pitt in KALIFORNIA, Ed Norton in AMERICAN HISTORY X (Jesus, he was good in that movie), Guy Pearce in the shamefully overlooked RAVENOUS (opposite a truly inspired performance by Robert Carlyle)...

Yeah, this thread rules.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Viggo Mortensen in "A Perfect Murder." When I first saw the trailer, I thought he had to be Michael Douglas' son because he looked a bit like him. But he really impressed me and it wasn't a surprise when he was tapped as Aragorn--it was more "Why did they ever consider anyone but him?" I didn't realize until later he was the psychotic Marine in "G.I. Jane."

I think the first thing I ever saw Johnny Depp in was "Who's Eating Gilbert Grape" but I knew *of* him. I was still very impressed. I was struck with Leo DiCaprio as well and had a hard time convincing friends he wasn't actually an ALF.

I knew Kirstin Dunst was eerily talented in "Interview with the Vampire" but I think my early assessment was off. :?
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:21 pm

tangerine wrote:hahaha... and when he pretends to walk off (through the peephole) and then throws himself on the door....

AAAAH, and then he's all huge and has those glowing yellow eyes! OMG nightmares!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:24 pm

Carolian wrote:Speaking of Jim Carrey (and yes, THE CABLE GUY IS TOTALLY UNDERRATED), he was awesome in HIGH STRUNG, for the short amount of time he was in it.

Man, now I keep thinking of more of these! Brad Pitt in KALIFORNIA, Ed Norton in AMERICAN HISTORY X (Jesus, he was good in that movie), Guy Pearce in the shamefully overlooked RAVENOUS (opposite a truly inspired performance by Robert Carlyle)...

Yeah, this thread rules.

dude, you just rattled off my own list of little known movies i am always telling people i know they have to check out.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:33 pm

tangerine wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:The Cable Guy is a great movie!

"I learned the facts of life.... from watching 'The Facts of Life'!!!!"

Excellent!

My favorite is the Midieval Times scene:

Chip Douglas (as quoted from IMDb), said not wrote:Dos thus have thou a mug of ale for me and me mate, for he hath been pitched in battle for a fortnight and has the king's thirst for the frosty brew dos thou might have for thus!

The blue knight rules! The red knight sucks the big one! Down, down, down. Red knight goin' down. Down, down, down. Red knight goin' down.

Man, who writes the quotes for IMDb? :roll:
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Viggo Mortensen in "A Perfect Murder." When I first saw the trailer, I thought he had to be Michael Douglas' son because he looked a bit like him. But he really impressed me and it wasn't a surprise when he was tapped as Aragorn--it was more "Why did they ever consider anyone but him?" I didn't realize until later he was the psychotic Marine in "G.I. Jane.

The first movie I remember seeing Viggo in was Witness, that was 1985!

GI Jane: I dont know about anyone else but I LOVED this movie!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Viggo Mortensen in "A Perfect Murder." When I first saw the trailer, I thought he had to be Michael Douglas' son because he looked a bit like him. But he really impressed me and it wasn't a surprise when he was tapped as Aragorn--it was more "Why did they ever consider anyone but him?" I didn't realize until later he was the psychotic Marine in "G.I. Jane.

The first movie I remember seeing Viggo in was Witness, that was 1985!

GI Jane: I dont know about anyone else but I LOVED this movie!

The first movie I remember Viggo in was Carlito's Way, he was Al Pacino's old crippled friend that was wearing a wire.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

"Fucking Diapers Man!" :D
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:"Fucking Diapers Man!" :D

SHITTINGMYSELFILASH! :D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:59 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

I never knew that. I take it that it's a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Vegeta wrote:The first movie I remember Viggo in was Carlito's Way, he was Al Pacino's old crippled friend that was wearing a wire.

He was so great as Laleen. One of my fave films.

Doesnt anyone remember Viggo in Young Guns II? He played John W Polk, that guy that was annoying Pat Garrett when he was hunting Billy The Kid.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Not that blink and you'll miss it, he's Clean, the young kid on the boat.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:03 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Not really he's Clean, the young kid on the boat.

He also lied and said he was over 18 or something like that so that he could be in the film...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Not really FG - he's on the boat for pretty much the whole trip up the river.

He was 14 when he made the film and regularly credits working on the film as changing his outlook on life forever....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 pm

For me, it's Dakota Fanning in MAN ON FIRE. She's really, really great in that. I mean, she doesn't seem like she's acting at all, and I think that's the biggest compliment you can give a child actor (or any one for that matter). She seems so natural, and she even has to speak another language sometimes. She'll be great one day I think, or she'll crash and burn into obscurity. Who knows?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Watch Hearts of Darkness, hes in that too. One of the best behind the scenes making of movie docs ever.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Winslow Leach wrote:Watch Hearts of Darkness, hes in that too. One of the best behind the scenes making of movie docs ever.

Seconded. It's up there with Burden Of Dreams the documentary on the making of Herzog's Fitzcarraldo and nearly up there with My Best Fiend Herzog's own documentary on his relationship with his friend/nemesis Klaus Kinski. THAT just has to be seen to be believed.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Not really FG - he's on the boat for pretty much the whole trip up the river.

He was 14 when he made the film and regularly credits working on the film as changing his outlook on life forever....

Well chalk that down to my ignorance.

I didn't know....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion