80's Comedy Face-Off Round Seven: Dan Aykroyd

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

POPCORN! The agony of choice is solved by...

The Blues Brothers
24%
Neighbors
3%
Doctor Detroit
No votes
Trading Places
35%
Ghostbusters
29%
Nothing Lasts Forever
No votes
Into the Night
No votes
Spies Like Us
3%
Dragnet
3%
The Couch Trip
3%
The Great Outdoors
No votes
Caddyshack II
No votes
My Stepmother is an Alien
No votes
Ghostbusters II
No votes

Total votes : 34

80's Comedy Face-Off Round Seven: Dan Aykroyd

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:51 pm

OK, so after what turned out to be the anomaly of Round Six, who better to return the series to form than Dan Aykroyd. A measure of the man's talents that he has endured right though to the present day - something a lot of the guys on this Face-off can sadly not come anywhere near to claiming. Not only that, but back in the 80's Aykroyd was in some of the funniest films yet committed to film - I'm talking here about the man that began the decade as Elwood Blues and ended it as Raymond Stantz - I don't care what planet you're from - those are not bad credentials!

Its a long list - and I confess to knowing only about 2/3rds of it - but I've decided to cover my ass and put those I don't up there anyway - chances are with this guy that they all deserve a mention.

For me personally? Not easy, not easy at all. But for all the reasons I use to justify selecting GHOSTBUSTERS as my choice for Murray, well, those same reasons preclude it as a choice for Aykroyd - who for all the laughs he gave in that film was eclipsed by his co-star.

I'm itching to give THE GREAT OUTDOORS a vote - in fact, missing that film off the final makes me wish I'd gone all Proportional Representation on this series of votes.

THE BLUES BROTHERS is just a genius film - maybe I should vote for that - I mean, Aykroyd in thgat film may just be the least straight, most funny 'straight' man I've ever seen. But am thinking more of the film than the actor if I vote for this classic? Take away Belushi and that soundtrack and would I really rate Elwood Blues alongside Louis Winthorpe III?

Nearly - but not quite. On this one I have to vote TRADING PLACES. Sooo many funny moments in that film - but Aykroyd's role was a gem. Sorry Eddie - but I'd much rather laugh at the guy who starts off with everything and slowly loses it all - before picking himself up and fighting back. The drunk Santa, complete with turkey in trousers and loaded gun "WINTHORRRRRRPE!" - that shit NEVER gets old.

Yup, TRADING PLACES all the way for me.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Damnit! You're RIGHT about Trading Places - it is sort of the better performance
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:19 pm

what? no Fred Garvin: Male Prostitute?

i dont think its fair that just because these polls are about movies, and movies from the 80's that we cant nominate tv show characters from the 70's. i mean, WTF?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Much like the murray thread, I gotta go with Ghostbusters.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby bluebottle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:51 pm

Gross Point Blank.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:54 pm

I reluctantly went with Ghostbusters. Though I love Trading Places. Both are cornerstones of 80s comedy.

I didn't go with the Blues Brothers, because in the last act it just got too noisy to be enjoyable. Too many cars get destroyed and shopping malls trashed. A triumph of excess over actual humor. I like the characters and the soundtrack, though!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby RockyDennis on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 pm

It is not my favorite of these movies, but Akroid was at his best in Trading Places
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 pm

I voted Blues Brothers, but I probably should have voted for Trading Places.

Dan didn't really have to do much in Blues Brothers, but ho-lee-shit what a great flick. I suppose he did turn in a better performance in Trading Places.

It's a shame to see him whore out the Blues Brothers legacy the way he does. A goddamn shame.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Oh Trading Places definitely. You can't beat the gun failing to go off.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Bump!
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Akroyd is (was?) a great Comedy actor
Ghostbusters is a great sci/fi comedy

But Akroyd in Ghostbuters? I mean, he puts in a good performance, but I would not have thought it was his best for the decade.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:04 pm

TRADING PLACES all the way

blues brothers is a great film, but it's as much musical as comedy, and really it's not nearly funny enough to be considered his best COMEDY

and ghostbusters is also great, but trading places is for me at least one of the all-time funniest films ever
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Vegeta on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:34 pm

The Blues Brothers, an absolutely fabulous comedy with a great performance from Aykroyd!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Dammit - there's a tie.

If only I had an alt persona....

:twisted:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:10 pm

A lot of buddy film.

To me it seems like Ghosbusters is Murray's film, Trading Places is Murphy's, Blues Brothers is Belushi's,... so I'll go with Spies Like Us, because I think he carries that film more than Chase.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:12 pm

Damn. Technically, he carries Dragnet more, and that's "his" film. I guess if I could change my vote, I'd go with Dragnet.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:14 pm

I've never been so disappointed to see a threesome in my entire life.

Frustrated, hell yes, but not disappointed.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:57 pm

I went with Dragnet but it was a close one between it, The Great Outdoors and Ghostbusters. But he's such a jerk in Great Outdoors that I vetoed it.

He's not as memorable in Ghostbusters--but the reason Bill Murray is funny is because he can play so well off Ackroyd. That shot of him looking so wide-eyed as the Stay Puft Man comes into view: "RAY?!" "I couldn't help it!"

Ahhh, I wish I could change my vote. :)

I have to give him a nod for drama--he was damn scary in "The House of Mirth." Dripped sleaze.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:11 pm

I love every movie on that list ('cept Stepmother...) but Trading Places owns my childhood and my heart
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm

King Psyz wrote:I love every movie on that list ('cept Stepmother...) but Trading Places owns my childhood and my heart

Me too, I had to pile on with Trading Places. Ghostbusters is my favorite film on that list, but like LS mentioned it's not really his film, it's Murray's. Aykroyd gives his best performance in Trading Places, I think...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:17 am

Trading Places is a movie I *know* I must have seen at some point in my life, but I cannot remember any of it...

Netflix!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 am

Based on Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper... kinda.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:30 am

Yup, it's pretty funny, very early 80's but funny.

Eddie Murphy is classic early Eddie in the film, but Aykroyd is great, the perfect straight man to Murphy.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Thin Man on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:39 am

Some great films up there (and some duds). I love both Ghost Busters and Blues Brothers but on performance alone (and also because I watched it on E4 last night) I will have to go for Trading Places. It is a difficult assignement to play such an upper class jerk and then show him brought down so convincingly and make him sympathetic but he did it. I've always thought he was actually a great actor, not just a great comedian, and this show most in this film.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Return to Actor Discussion