80's Comedy Face-off - Round Eight: Steve Martin

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

AAAGHHHH THE PAIN! But in the end, I choose....

Pennies From Heaven
No votes
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
6%
The Man With Two Brains
17%
The Lonely Guy
No votes
All Of Me
9%
Movers & Shakers (written by Charles Grodin - who knew?)
No votes
The Three Amigos
9%
Roxanne
6%
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
29%
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
20%
Parenthood
6%

Total votes : 35

80's Comedy Face-off - Round Eight: Steve Martin

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:25 am

OK, this is it - the last round before the final. And I've left Steve Martin until the end, because for me this is by far the hardest one. I mean, just look at that list of films. Seriously - just look at it.

And please don't start with the "Yeh, but he's been shit since the Nineties" - that argument carries as much weight with me as "Spielberg isn't any good any more". Frankly, if Martin doesn't add another gem to the list set out here, he'll still have carried more genuine Classics than most comedy performers achieve in a lifetime. And this list doesn't even include THE JERK (more's the pity - though it would have made the task of choosing even harder).

So where to begin? Well, first a shout out to some of the films that often get overlooked in favour of the more obvious choices - DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID is not only funny, its clever. It can't have been easy to act off the memory of the cut-scenes that were going to be added in post-production. His performance in this film isn't just about comedy, there's no small amount of acting going on here too - and on various levels, not least of all homaging all those films and screen legends that went before him (all so very subtley or not-so-subtley different from one another).

THE LONELY GUY is brilliant (I look forward to when Mori gets around to writing this one up) - its an early work, co-starring with Charles Grodin as a couple of, well, lonely guys. It might not quite be up there with the absolute pinnacle of his work - but that could depend on your own situation when you first see it - me, I was hopelessly, desperately single and this film made me wet myself with laughter....and buy a fern.

ALL OF ME I want to mention, if not for his interplay with a Lily Tomlin who was at the height of her own comedic powers - then certainly for Victoria Tennant (later Mrs Martin) yelping "Ride me like a pony".

But as for those heavy hitters - how do you choose between them? Roxanne benefitted not just from a sharp, witty script - but from a great central performance from Martin. Sure, the premise is derived from Cyrano de Bergerac - but this was a thoroughly updated modern telling - and its pretty much as fresh today as it ever was. His physical comedy was never better - and that whole monologue re: his nose takes some getting through in a single take.

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS is great fun - but it doesn't get my final vote for I suspect if I take Prince Ruprett out of it then its honours even with Michael Caine for this films comedic success.

Three Amigos - well, I've already gone on record as stating Chevy Chase to be the funniest Amigo for me - so as much as I love this movie, I'm not voting it here.

And now I have an aneurism as I try to decide between PLANES, TRAINS... and THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS and PARENTHOOD.

Man, I love PARENTHOOD. Maybe I shouldn't - maybe its a bit too schmaltzy - but it get me here *thumps chest* every single goddam time. I've even had the embarrassment of an "excuse me, I must have smoke in my eye" moment whilst watching this film. And although its a huge, strong ensemble cast - Martin's performance in this film not only stands out - but makes it. It saves the movie from being twee. Cowboy Gil will always be my hero - and a part of me will always be sad he was never at one of my birthday parties.

PLANES, TRAINS... is one of my favourite comedies of all-time, let alone during the 80's. Martin's interplay with John Candy was brilliant - from the moment they meet at the airport, through any 'Those aren't pillows' moments right up until the bit where he goes back to fetch him [Candy] from the platform. The rant at the Rent-a-Car desk is second only to Clark Griswold's VACATION rant. The physical comedy comes back, in scenes such as when Candy is in the bathroom clearing his sinuses - or when the race is on against Bacon for a cab.

But you know what? I'm giving my vote to THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS. Soooooo funny. I think, apart from his ability to deliver a line, a fine sense of comic timing, his physical comedy, as well as the ability to act with just his face - Steve Martin was amongst the best of taking a film that should have been soooooo stupid, yet somehow make us forget that and see a little of our own despair in his predicaments - and laugh.

God, how we laughed.
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am

I HAD to go with Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. One of the greatest comedy films of all time and both Martin and Caine are on absolute top form.

The scene which shows Steve Martin at his best is where Dr Emile Schovhouzen (Caine) is testing the sensitivy of Freddy's (Martin) legs with a metal flower stem. The subtleties of Steve Martins expressions trying to desperately subdue the agony he is going through has me in tears.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:30 am

I've only ever liked Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

And Horrors isn't an option.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 am

Sorry Doc, but the Lonely Guy is TERRIBLE. I remember loving it at a youngster, and even giggling about it as an a young adult, but I recently TiVo'd it and I could barely stand it. The only seen that I found funny at all was the obviously improved bit about how homeless people have a good head of hair because they don't shampoo. The rest was BLAH!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah, and what's your deal with leaving Little Shop of Horrors off of EVERY list!?!??!@@3
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 am

I went with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

But my favorite Steve Martin film on this list is definetly Parenthood (which ain't a comedy!).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:38 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah, and what's your deal with leaving Little Shop of Horrors off of EVERY list!?!??!@@3

Both Murray and Martin were just cameos in LSOH so with heavy heart I decided to leave it out. I'm selfishly making sure that neither of them make it through to the final with just a cameo to show for their work in the 80's.

After this I am flying out to Iraq to oversee 'elections' :twisted:

That sucks about LONELY GUY - I admit, I last saw it...ooh, must have been soemthing like 1998 maybe. I liked how a variety of men were chucking themselves off the bridge - or how the night sky was full of them wailing their ex-es name.

But I was not too far off such a place when I saw it. Perhaps I've confused great comedy for empathy and self-hate.

Not for the first time....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:41 am

so sorry wrote:I went with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

But my favorite Steve Martin film on this list is definetly Parenthood (which ain't a comedy!).

:shock:

IMDB lists it as a comedy...and they're never wrong.... :wink:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah, and what's your deal with leaving Little Shop of Horrors off of EVERY list!?!??!@@3

Both Murray and Martin were just cameos in LSOH so with heavy heart I decided to leave it out. I'm selfishly making sure that neither of them make it through to the final with just a cameo to show for their work in the 80's.

Have you been at the scalp wax again?

Murray maybe. But Martin had a key role.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:57 am

We could almost do a 'best '80's' comedy cameo list as an addendum to these polls - Martin's performance in 'Little Shop' is unforgettable - Murray too - but I'd guess it's really only about ten minutes screen time tops. I'd already given this one thought, as I knew it was inevitable, and three or four of these films would be in my list for all time favorite comedy movies.
I love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but the more often I watch it, the more I release that Caine's subtler performance is just as brilliant as Martin's part slease, part "Ok-La-Ho-Ma Oklahoma, Oklahoma!". It's also a re-make of Bedtime Story with Brando and David Niven, and if you've seen the original, Martin's performance is very much based on Marlon's, at least up to a point.

I pick The Man with Two Brains. It's all him (and a little Kathleen Turner, and that almost naked hooker singing "Duke of Oil" in the elevator)

I've never seen Movers and Shakers.

so sorry wrote: Parenthood (which ain't a comedy!).

It's not a comedy? Is there a different cut of this movie I haven't seen? I know it gets bogged down in sentiment alot, but most of it is played for laughs. Oh no! it's not a 'relationship dramedy', is it?
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:01 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

Have you been at the scalp wax again?

Murray maybe. But Martin had a key role.

You're silly - I like you.

He was on-screen for like, ten minutes and one scene. If you can't do better than that looking at the list above then I don't want to read your definition of comedy. Ever.

I've tired of scalp-wax - have you finished with that tub-o-lard yet? (I bet there's none left again).

:P
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:26 am

No love for Bowfinger?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:28 am

Pacino86845 wrote:No love for Bowfinger?

Greatest chat-up line I'll never use......^^

I think that was a 90's flick wasn't it? Good film though.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:30 am

'99
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:30 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:No love for Bowfinger?

Greatest chat-up line I'll never use......^^

I think that was a 90's flick wasn't it? Good film though.

Right, because 80s comedy face-off obviously implies 80s films... *puts dunce cap on* :oops:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

OK - you can borrow the hat, but I'll need it back before the day is through (guaranteed!) :D
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 am

I went for The Man with Two Brains too - I will ALWAYS watch that if it's on TV...

Plus, I know it's been mentioned and it doesn't count, but I always use Bowfinger as evidence that both Martin and Murphy can still come with the funny given a decent script and a tried and tested comedy director (Yoda - who also made Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Little Shop of Horrors!)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:50 am

for me it was between "Parenthood" and "Roxanne", and i ended up voting "Roxanne", both because "Parenthood" was more of an ensemble movie and also more of a dramedy and a pure comedy. both are excellent movies and very rewatchable.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Vegeta on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:51 am

I had to go with The Man with Two Brains! Truely inspired lunacy!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 pm

God help me but I really did enjoy All Of Me. I just think he does a great Lily Tomlin...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:56 pm

if the jerk were on the list, it would've been an easy choice, definitely his best comedy.

but out of these, i gotta go with roxanne.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 pm

'79
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:01 pm

i know, i'm just saying, if it were an option, the choice would be easy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:00 pm

OK - one last bump before the final - I have a feeling that recent events may have overrun things when this last went up....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:02 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:OK - one last bump before the final - I have a feeling that recent events may have overrun things when this last went up....

are you referring to the arrival of the new phone-books?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Peven wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:OK - one last bump before the final - I have a feeling that recent events may have overrun things when this last went up....

Yup - is it just me or do these one's look bigger?
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Peven wrote:

Yup - is it just me or do these one's look bigger?

i hear that all the time.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm going with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. This is classic stuff. I voted for it in the Candy thread too.

But Roxanne is close behind.

And I haven't seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid since forever, but I remember it being very funny, and I should check it out again.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels isn't prime Martin for me. I just feel that Michael Caine really took him to school on that one, out-acting him in every scene. But that may have been because Martin's character was uglier and harder to play well.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 pm

I went with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. It's a great comedy, but it's got heart too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Going with The Man With Two Brains. What a load of stupid shit. But so brilliantly hilarious for it! I love Steve's so deadly serious and straight performance when he goes up to the little girl after he runs over Kathleen Turner and forces her to remember out all that medical physiological crap that he recites to her, then kicks off when she tries to get all clever with him when she says 'sounds like a subterroma haemotoma to me!' and he just says...

Oh farkit, I'll type it out for you...

Dr Hfuhruhurr
LITTLE GIRL?

Little Girl
YES, SIR?

Dr Hfuhruhurr
I WANT YOU TO DO SOMETHING
VERY IMPORTANT, ALL RIGHT?

Little Girl
OK.

Dr Hfuhruhurr
I WANT YOU TO RUN HOME, AND I WANT YOU TO CALL THE E.R. OF NORTH BANK GENERAL HOSPITAL, - - -ONE THOUSAND. TELL THEM TO SET UP O.R.
IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT ANESTHESIOLOGIST
ISADORE TOURICK, HAVE THEM SEND AN AMBULANCE
WITH A PARAMEDIC CREW, LIGHT I.V., D- AND W, KVO.
YOU GOT IT?

Little Girl
CALL THE E.R. OF NORTH BANK GENERAL HOSPITAL, - - -ONE THOUSAND. TELL THEM TO SET UP O.R.
IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT ANESTHESIOLOGIST
ISADORE TOURICK, HAVE THEM SEND AN AMBULANCE
WITH A PARAMEDIC CREW, LIGHT I.V., D- AND W, KVO.

Dr Hfuhruhurr
THAT'S GOOD.

Little Girl
SOUNDS LIKE A SUBDURAL
HEMATOMA TO ME.

Dr Hfuhruhurr
OH, IT DOES, DOES IT? WELL, IT'S NOT YOUR JOB TO DIAGNOSE.

Little Girl
BUT I THOUGHT--

Dr Hfuhruhurr
YOU THOUGHT! YOU THOUGHT! JUST GO!

She runs off crying.

Dr Hfuhruhurr
YEARS OF NURSERY SCHOOL, AND YOU THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL! WELL, YOU'RE STILL WETBEHIND THE EARS. IT'S NOT A SUBDURAL HEMATOMA! IT'S EPIDURAL! HAH! GODDAMN, THAT MAKES ME MAD!!!

Comic genius.

Oh, it's also a toss up between Steve Martin and Bill Murray for who is the best from the 80s. Steve Martin when he is actually being funny makes me laugh harder and more genuinely than Bill Murray does to tell the truth. It's just that Martin refuses to be funny far too much. I couldn't believe how much I wanted to kill this actor in the 90s after I had loved him so much before this.

Most of the other so called comedy actors from the 80s can all go Fark Owwff!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby instant_karma on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:42 am

These have all been pretty tough. Finally went for All of Me.

I remember watching a couple of his concert videos when I were a young 'un. I think Wild and Crazy Guy was probably 70's but wasn't at least one of them was made in the 80's?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby tapehead on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:53 am

'Get That Cat Out of Here!'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:55 am

instant_karma wrote:These have all been pretty tough. Finally went for All of Me.

I remember watching a couple of his concert videos when I were a young 'un. I think Wild and Crazy Guy was probably 70's but wasn't at least one of them was made in the 80's?

Not sure - the only one I ever saw was the one where in the middle of a skit he just breaks and exclaims "Oh No! HAPPY FEET!" and does a ridiculous dance, like as if his feet had minds of their own and were acting independent of the rest of his body. I've always enjoyed stupid humour like that, when done well. I'm sure that was in the 70's though.

Anyway, then of course the HAPPY FEET ice lolly came out and I thought "Damn - Steve's soldout already..."
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:15 am

Yeah, that Happy Feet thing is in the Wild and Crazy Guy concert I think.

BTW, are you sure the ice lolly you mentioned wasn't called a Funny Foot? Made by Walls with strawberry ice cream in a foot shape (but sininstery enough, with only four toes).
instant_karma

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:29 am

instant_karma wrote:Yeah, that Happy Feet thing is in the Wild and Crazy Guy concert I think.

BTW, are you sure the ice lolly you mentioned wasn't called a Funny Foot? Made by Walls with strawberry ice cream in a foot shape (but sininstery enough, with only four toes).

You're right. :oops:

My entire childhood has just been undermined, my memories those of an unreliable narrator.

Why is the tortoise on its back? WHY AM I NOT HELPING?
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:40 am

Don't worry about it. My own smugness is undermined by the fact that I seem to have invented a new word.

Sininstery...I must ponder a meaning for it...
instant_karma

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:42 am

I'm thinking of a witty way of relating "monastery" to "sinus"....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 pm

I love Steve Martin & so this was very hard...
But I finally voted for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels....

I think he was brilliant in so many movies.. I actually almost voted for All Of Me but it didnt have a chance against Planes, Trains etc... So I put my vote where I thought it might count..
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Not easy huh? And my god, that is a big hat.... :lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:10 pm

I've never liked Roxanne at all, I don't find it even the slightest bit funny, it's just big nose joke after big nose joke with some mistaken identity comedy thrown in.

Parenthood is a good film, it's got some very funny moments but it's also got a lot of melodrama so I can't vote for that as his greatest.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is fun, Ruprect has me in stitches as does the wheelchair scene where Cain is caining him across the shins but I don't think the rest of the film is even nearly as funny as those two scenes.

I love All of Me and The Man with Two Brains but they don't have any heart, they are just straight comedies, fluff if you will.

Got to be Planes Trains & Automobiles, I didn't vote for it on Candy's poll because here it's all about the Martin, he's the one who delivers pure comedy with heart as he gets constantly infuriated by Candy's ineptitude, Candy plays the fun, chubby and slightly dumb straight guy and allows Martin to use his full bag of tricks as he bounces off of him, one of my all time favourite comedies with too many great moments to think about.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:08 pm

I hate Parenthood. It's such a sentimental melodrama wank off. I hate that 'rollercoaster' photography in the play scene, just as much as the 'life is a rollercoaster' message that the film actually takes seriously by reinforcing it with the camera trick.

I think that Steve Martin is pretty rubbish in it, and it is the first movie that actually displayed his limits as a serious straight actor in such roles, so what does he do? - He does more of them!!!

The only saving grace for me in this film, is the great Jason Robards, an actor who I never really gave enough credit to as a serious actor himself, as his performances always came across as rather simple to me for a while. But he's the only one who grounds this film with dignity and a sense of realism and actually makes you concentrate and get gripped in what his scenes are trying to say.

The scene that really does it for me, is the bit at the end when that bloke from Amadeus who plays Cool's dad leaves him and just buggers off, and Robards has to tell the poor little kid all about it.

COOL
Is my dad coming back?

ROBARDS (Doesn't lie, doesn't tell him the truth with candy bullshit coating either, but tells it to him frank and with a face that tells him just how bad life really can be.)

No he isn't.

Cool shows a nice underplayed face that shows he's about to cry.

ROBARDS (Straightfaced and hiding any emotion about what this offer means, and knowing that to do this could just wear him out)

Would you like to stay with us?

Cool nods. Robards has a little smile.

Not just Jason Robards, but even the actor that plays Cool too make this such a tearjerker 'cos it's so underhandedly and straightly delivered.

Right, now if you don't mind, it's back to John Wayne's The Green Berets for me.

Ghey pussies!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:07 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:God help me but I really did enjoy All Of Me. I just think he does a great Lily Tomlin...

Can I join your lonely club? From the movies I've seen on that list this is the most enjoyable one I've seen in a laugh-out-loud kind of way. OK, subtle it ain't but Martin was pretty damn funny in it.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Return to Actor Discussion