80's Comedy Face-off - The Final

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

And the winner is.......

Tom Hanks in 'BIG'
No votes
Chevy Chase in 'NATIONAL LAMPOONS VACATION'
26%
John Candy in 'UNCLE BUCK'
11%
Eddie Murphy in 'TRADING PLACES'
9%
Bill Murray in 'GHOSTBUSTERS'
31%
Richard Pryor in 'STIR CRAZY'
No votes
Dan Aykroyd in 'TRADING PLACES'
14%
Steve Martin in 'PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES'
9%

Total votes : 35

80's Comedy Face-off - The Final

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 am

So here we are at last. Here are all eight again, with their most popular film from the 80's, as chosen by us.

Tough. tough tough tough. Depending on which films had made it to the final, I could have ended up voting for at least four of these guys. But given the films on offer, my final vote goes to Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles - depsite Trading Places' double-header (a potential vote-splitter that could yet undo this contender).

For the last time then - over to you folks!
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:34 am

Well, Ghostbusters was probably the best film out of all those offered...so by default, Bill Murray got my vote.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40 am

Ackroyd - Trading Places - it's the goddamn Citizen Kane of '80's' American comedies, and Ackroyd's finest hour in a comedy performance.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am

I voted for Rick Moranis in Little Shop of Horrors.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45 am

Oh. I thought this was a vote to see who was the OVERALL funniest COMEDIAN of the 80s, not the FILM that had the funniest comedian.

Hmm, I'll say no more.

Other than, guys, make sure you vote for the film not because of how funny it is on it's own, but vote for the film that has the funniest comedy PERFORMANCE, and not 'cos of somethign else, like some stupid extra ina green anorak walking past and doing some ghey dance than getting the shit kicked outta him by an old woman, all the while as Clive Owen gets thrown out of a van in the foreground.

I'm going with Bill Murray in Ghostbusters then. Originally I would have voted Steve Martin as the funniest guy from the 80s overall. His lighthearted clownlike performances, free from anything serious or heavy getting in the way of his fun style is what makes him stand out from the others. Not afraid of complete childish stupidity allowed this guy to get to a level of hilariousness that the others put limits on from reaching.

I don't think Plane's Trains and Automobiles was all that funny really. The sentimentality and attempt at drama and the more down to earth approach from Steve Martin, John Candy, the whole damn film gummed up the joke machine for me. So as far as a COMEDY goes, no, it don't do this job as well as other films. Martin was too straight for me, to actually make me laugh out loud at too.

So Ghostbusters it is then. Won't comment on it more. I said a lot about it in the Bill Murray thread, plus I'm supposed to be on Zone Holliday. I'll just say this, Bill Murray's Peter Venkman was so refreshing and inspiring about how cool and stupid you could be in real life and still get away with it, that he became my hero, and I wanted to become him. I think I did for a bit - and it worked! Sorta.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45 am

I went for Dan Akroyd. If you look at the list, apart from Hanks who is the only non comedian in the list, he is the only one who is playing against type. The rest are just transferring their comedy personnas to the big screen.
Last edited by The Thin Man on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:46 am

Haven't seen the Martin film here, so that's discounted. Like Vicar says, a lot depends on whether you're judging the whole film itself or just the individual performances in it. With that in mind and trying to strike a balance between the two, I'll go for...let's see..Eddie Murphy in Trading Places with Ackroyd and Pryor as very close second.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:47 am

Shit! All I had to do was press a flippin' button, then I saw Richard Pryor from Stir Crazy!

Shit! Shit! Ooow shit, Skip! This won't be easy now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:50 am

The Thin Man wrote:I went for Dan Akroyd. If you look at the list, apart from Hanks who is the only non comedian in the list, he is the only one who is playing against type. The rest are just transferring their comedy personnas to the big screen.

Sure, but in the '80's', Hanks was a comedian - that's where he got his start. Interestingly enough, he's one of just a couple here that didn't come from SNL. Martin was never a cast member even thought he hosted alot, right?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:52 am

tapehead wrote:
The Thin Man wrote:I went for Dan Akroyd. If you look at the list, apart from Hanks who is the only non comedian in the list, he is the only one who is playing against type. The rest are just transferring their comedy personnas to the big screen.

Sure, but in the '80's', Hanks was a comedian - that's where he got his start. Interestingly enough, he's one of just a couple here that didn't come from SNL. Martin was never a cast member even thought he hosted alot, right?

Dead on, bro.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 am

tapehead wrote:just a couple here that didn't come from SNL. Martin was never a cast member even thought he hosted alot, right?

Right.
I believe, until recently - he had the record for the most SNL hosting gigs...

I think Alec Baldwin might have him beat now...

But yeah - Martin was never an official cast member.
And I don't think John Candy was either.
He was part of SCTV - but I don't recall him actually making the SNL jump...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:55 am

havocSchultz wrote:
tapehead wrote:just a couple here that didn't come from SNL. Martin was never a cast member even thought he hosted alot, right?

Right.
I believe, until recently - he had the record for the most SNL hosting gigs...

I think Alec Baldwin might have him beat now...

But yeah - Martin was never an official cast member.
And I don't think John Candy was either.
He was part of SCTV - but I don't recall him actually making the SNL jump...

Nope.
Never did.

Only the fat comics die young.......

( Belushi, Candy, Farley......et al )
The Vicar

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:58 am

tapehead wrote:

What I meant was that he was an actor who started off in comedies whereas the rest started out in standup. Mind you, some of his early stuff, like Bachelor Party, can hardly be called acting.
Last edited by The Thin Man on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:00 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Shit! All I had to do was press a flippin' button, then I saw Richard Pryor from Stir Crazy!

Shit! Shit! Ooow shit, Skip! This won't be easy now.

Yes, Kirk, the only reason I voted Murphy just ahead of Pryor was that I thought Trading Places was a better overall film than Stir Crazy, but as a performance alone Pryor's was just as funny....the reason I picked Murphy above Ackroyd was I think he was a shade more enjoyable and anarchic, though certainly Ackroyd's performance had more pathos to it and a certain tragi-comedy element (in a Bill Murray kind of way).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 am

The Thin Man wrote:
tapehead wrote:

What I meant was that he was an actor who started off in comedies whereas the rest started out in standup. Mind you, some of his early stuff, like Bachelor Party, can hardly be called acting.

Seem to remember reading Hanks did do stand up, but I may well be wrong.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 am

damn, i can't split my vote between murphy and akroyd on trading places. i chose murphy, because he carries the film a bit more, but i could have gone with either.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 am

i had to go with Bill Murray for this one. call it childhood nostalgia, but damn i really love him, especially in Ghostbusters.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Nice job onna this a series, eh Doc? I dinna know we were gonna to have a the final face off, anna I gotta to say, it was a the tough choice inna the end, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks Dino - its not easy at all. Half an hour ago I was ruing not choosing Chevy Chase. But I bet if I went home and watched STIR CRAZY tonight, I'd feel even more of a putz than usual....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:29 pm

tapehead wrote:Seem to remember reading Hanks did do stand up, but I may well be wrong.

Maybe your thinking of Punchline, where he played a really bad stand up.

Went for Billy Murray in the end, but it felt like a betrayal of all the other guys.

I haven't faced a tough choice like that since the time I had to choose between stopping an orphanage from burning down, or having a 2nd bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. They're so damn moreish...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Its an age-old dilemma...Crispy Brats or Crunchy Nuts.

You chose............wisely.

/Templar Knight
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 pm

What if it was an Orphange or a Whorehouse that was burning down?

A Whorehouse might have zero value, but I mean, you do know that those orphan kids are just gonna grow up to be wanker chavs who will throw you off trains right?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:42 pm

It was a tough call...but I went with John Candy, although there's movies I find him funnier in. He is just my overwhelming funny 80's memory.

But Ghostbusters comes REALLY close...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What if it was an Orphange or a Whorehouse that was burning down?

A Whorehouse might have zero value, but I mean, you do know that those orphan kids are just gonna grow up to be wanker chavs who will throw you off trains right?

There's a difference between and orphanage and a whorehouse?!?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm

jesus christ this is hard.

Ok...I'm going with Murray and Ghostbusters. His deadpan comedic style really works for me and worked perfectly in that film.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What if it was an Orphange or a Whorehouse that was burning down?

Ya...

At an orphanage, the sex is free...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm

"Ive been known to circumsize a gnat!....You're not a gnat are ya Bug?...wait a second....Bug...Gnat....is there a similarity there? I think there IS!..."
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Damn, Doc, this has been a most excellent series of polls, around an awesome theme! I went with Bill Murray in Ghostbusters, 'cause it's Bill Fuckin' Murray!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:33 pm

instant_karma wrote:

Basically the cost of sex......
The Vicar

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:34 pm

Bill IS great. No argument there!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:45 pm

I too voted Murray & Ghostbusters primarily because up until a couple months ago we had a CaddyShack restaurant here in Mytle Beach which had the best Chili Cheese Fries. But alas they are gone now. Bill has had a tough year, so I happily raise my pint and offer this toast:

Bill you are a comedy legend and I hope you continue to .. eat drink and be Murray - that was the restaurants tagline, in case you've never been there
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:47 pm

The Vicar wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Basically the cost of sex......

Great minds and what-not eh...?

havoc a couple of posts above wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Ya...

At an orphanage, the sex is free...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Dan Ayckroyd in Trading Places. It's the movie out of that bunch that I enjoy most, at least this morning. Strong arguments can be made for all of them, though.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Murray in Ghostbusters. The only choice I voted for from the original polls that showed up in the final.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Re: 80's Comedy Face-off - The Final

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Lily Tomlin 9 to 5
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Actor Discussion