Random Kevin Costner thread anyone?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

How Camp are you?

Love Kev Camp
23%
Hate Kev Camp
23%
Somewhere in the middle with Kev, preferably with a warm fire where no one can see us, Camp
15%
We don't give a fark Kirk, shit thread, Camp
31%
The KirkBunny, that's what's Camp
No votes
I saw a movie that was full of inTen(t)sity - it was Carry on Camping!! Mwoo haha!! - Er.. no? Anyone? No?! NO?!?!
8%

Total votes : 13

Random Kevin Costner thread anyone?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 am

OPEN RANGE SPOILERS

So I was watching Open Range last night, a terrific Western that Kevin Costner starred and directed with Robert Duvall, and though I really rate it, I couldn't help but feel cheated at the end when the big gunfight starts and Robert Duvall gets sidelined straight away by an injury, leaving Kev do get sooo much of the glory and get to do so much of the killing. I thought that was just testimont to his ego an one thing that let the film down.

So it got me to thinking about all the good and bad about all things Kev. Sure, he does have ego too big for his boots sometimes, but sometimes he can really do work of true integrity and really really brilliant work too.

I never thought he was much more than an OK actor generally speaking, I don't consider him to be a performer of heavyweight capability, yet he seems to know this and still mananges to act out decent, economical performances that always work with no real major flaws or misteps in them and his roles do indeed carry his films.

Also as much as you may dislike the guy, I don't think we should ever forget that he gave us some of the best films that were about before he fell from Grace with The Postman. Basically talking about Field Of Dreams, JFK, The Untouchables, Dances With Wolves and my ol' favourite, Fandango. So for every low you've got these really exceptional high. Or for every low you've still got incredible ambition - Wyatt Earp, The Postman, Waterworld. Even now that people feel that his glory days are behind him he still shows the brilliance that he's capable of, pulling out stuff like Open Range, and his new film Mr Brooks, has brough him good reviews in America, hasn't it?

This guy always seems to split opinions very widely. As Barry Norman said in an interview with Kevin, there seems to be 2 camps, the love Kev camp and the Hate Kev camp.

So I'm wondering what kind you guys are, where you fall. Why do you like him, why do you dislike him? Reasons why on a postcard, Kev will be The Postman.

Or reasons why on a post - box, or whatever the post windows in the Zone or called.

Aaaaaahhhhh - well this all round big discussion and real general thread with lots to say should be good and keep 'em all busy in the Zone, for like what, say.... 40 odd posts and for 1 day eh? :oops:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chilli on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:53 am

I think one of the reasons he works so well in JFK/The Untouchables is because he's so thunderously bland. By not having the flash of a Sutherland/Connery, he's able to provide more of a sense that he's an actual average chap dealing with crazy shit. It works in those films, but stuff like Waterworld sees him miscast because he's expected to do more than blandly read lines.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 am

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am

I'd throw TIN CUP, A PERFECT WORLD, NO WAY OUT, REVENGE and SILVERADO into the mix as even more examples of good films that he's done.

There are occasionally times when it seems like he's performing a neverending riff on Elliot Ness/Jim Garrison - probably because those are the two more iconic roles that he's portrayed and people remember him by. But whilst he's certainly not got the broadest range there is, it is certainly broader than most people give him credit for.

Take films like TIN CUP, REVENGE - and A PERFECT WORLD in particular. He gives surprisingly nuanced performances in each.

Following some unsavoury stories about him a couple of years ago, I'm not so sure about the man himself, but I like the films he's prepared to go for and generally speaking I think he does better than most would, given the same material.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:16 am

You also gotta consider that he's not such a nice guy persona actor than people may stereotype him for. At least not anymore anyway.

He's indulged his dark side more than we may recognise.

Even in The Untouchables, Ness admits to having sold his soul. 'I have become what I have sought after and I am content that I have done right'. Something along those lines anyway.

Waterworld he basically played a right old bastard that was not against hitting a woman over the head or drowning a young girl for his own survival. Wyatt Earp he went to great lengths on insisting Wyatt wasn't really a likeable guy and had a very mean and even murderous black streak in him and you did get the impression that he would shoot a guy in the back (he didn't in the film but he did in real life apparently). Open Range his character used to be a soldier who was an equivalent of a Vietnam Black Ops kinda guy. That he'd go around starting violence and not just killing people, but getting them to kill each other, until when the war was over and he went 'out west' he got into such dark situations that he didn't even know who was innocent or guilty in who he killed. You can see all of this etched out on his face throughout the film too. In fact it shows very well in all these films in which he plays these kind of guys.

Not only does he seem to really go for these roles, but in fact he seems to be perhaps even more convincing or comfortable in them than playing his all round American nice guy types. Back in his early days I think he said something like he feels more comfortable holding a gun in his hand than a woman, if that has any relevance.

Have yet to see Mr Brooks, where he plays a schizophrenic murderer, but from the few reviews I've read, he's meant to be good in this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:20 am

Okay, the Untouchables was great, but let’s not forget the rest of the cast here. They really carried the film, and made Costner's job a little easier.

Personally, I dig the shit out of Dances with Wolves and The Postman.

Everything else I have seen the man in is tepid at best.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:26 am

I voted pro Costner.

I've never really understood the amount of hate that gets directed towards him (thought I've never seen The Postman, so maybe that would explain it).

While Waterworld may have been a commercial disaster, it's by no means a bad film. At the end of the day, perhaps there wasn't an audience for a summer blockbuster with such an unsympathetic anti-hero protagonist, but I thought it was a brave choice for an actor to make at the peak of his popularity.

Even in films that I don't particularly like, such as Prince of Theives or The Bodyguard, I think he's okay.

I certainly don't think there's anything bland about him. Bull Durham, Fandango and Silverado are all very charasmatic performances. Maybe he's just drawn more towards taciturn characters.

I hadn't heard to Mr. Brooks, but having just looked it up on imdb, I'm really looking forward to it.

Go Kev!
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 am

I like 3000 Miles to Graceland.

:oops:

*Whos got bad taste?

I've got bad taste!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 am

Is that Mean Machine in a Nun's habit in your av Karma? Kudos! 8)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:00 am

I turned on Open Range last night, but it was too late and too slow moving to hold my attention.

I can't say Costner's one of my favourites, but I do like watching Waterworld though. And Thirteen Days. And Field of Dreams.

So maybe he's not that bad.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RockyDennis on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:21 am

I have never understood the hatred for The Postman. It is far superior to Waterworld and one of those DVDs that I can always pop in the machine when I can't decide what to watch.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:25 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Is that Mean Machine in a Nun's habit in your av Karma? Kudos! 8)

It's either that, or a nun wearing a Mean Machine mask.

Could be either....
instant_karma

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:30 am

I liked For the Love of the Game, Tin Cup, and of course Bull Durham and Field of Dreams.

I guess my thing is this: I like Kevin Costner sports movies?

I'll vote pro Costner.

He's a question: Is there a superhero franchise that could have used Kevin Costner in his prime?

Kevin Costner as Alan Scott, the Green Lantern?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby The Todd on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 am

The Todd likes the Costner in certain movies/rolls. Loved The Untouchables and Tin Cup is nothing groundbreaking, but still a good movie to watch. I enjoyed Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Bull Durham is excellent.

He was stiff in The Bodyguard and there was absolutely no chemistry between him and Whitney Houston. Waterworld was just bad all around. I never saw Dances With Wolves so I can't say anything about that. But Field of Dreams was one of the worst "hyped" movies I have ever seen in my life. God that was a boring, pointless piece of shit! I'm a guy who loves baseball and who loves my dad, so I feel that I'm part of the "target audience" but watching that movie was more painful than slamming my head in a car door for 2 hours.

RockyDennis wrote:I have never understood the hatred for The Postman.

Because it sucked-five?
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 am

The Todd wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:I have never understood the hatred for The Postman.

Because it sucked-five?

LOL-five!

The Todd wrote:watching that movie was more painful than slamming my head in a car door for 2 hours.

Prove it.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:52 am

He had a series of really bad movies after Dances with Wolves. Especially Mad Max on Water (aka Waterworld).

I've heard he is good in Mr. Brooks.

I liked his performance in The Upside of Anger, even though the movie wasn't that great. JFK was another good performance.

Costner just doesn't grab my attention like other leading male actors do. He is just kinda boring.
Maui
WoWie

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:52 am

The Todd wrote: I never saw Dances With Wolves so I can't say anything about that. But Field of Dreams was one of the worst "hyped" movies I have ever seen in my life. God that was a boring, pointless piece of shit!

The same applies to Dances With Wolves. I know it's a well loved movie with some and the critics (almost) fell over themselves to praise it, but I'm sorry I thought this was just a huge blustering vanity project par excellence and to be honest - rightly or wrongly - it thereafter coloured my perception of Costner as someone whose ambition far outreached his actual talent. That's not to say I think he's a bad actor but just someone who's OK and nothing more.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby thebabypanda on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 am

i was waiting at the bus stop the other day and saw an older woman reading a magazine with KC's pic on the cover. You know how sometimes these days the title of a periodical is hidden by a picture or text? Well, I did a double take because it looked like she was reading "HARD".
whatwhatwhat? It was an AARP mag. hahaha
thebabypanda
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Todd on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 am

Maui wrote:I liked his performance in The Upside of Anger, even though the movie wasn't that great. JFK was another good performance.

I had forgotten about those movies, haven't seen either.

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
The Todd wrote:watching that movie was more painful than slamming my head in a car door for 2 hours.

Prove it.

Um, no-five? Take my word for it-five?
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:07 am

Costner needs to do a fun western again ala Silverado. In fact, Costner just needs to do something fun period.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am

The Todd wrote:Um, no-five? Take my word for it-five?

:lol:

I'm afraid I can't do that. Got a car door with your name on it, buddy.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:24 am

The Todd wrote:Waterworld was just bad all around.

Maui wrote:He had a series of really bad movies after Dances with Wolves. Especially Mad Max on Water (aka Waterworld).

It's not bad.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:40 am

Dennis Hopper sucked far harder than Costner in WaterWorld, but you know, he was in like, Easy Rider and Blue Velvet, so hush, let's not mention that.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:44 am

We need a Kevin Costner VS Paul Walker VS a plank of wood thread.

I don't hate the guy, but at least I can feel something when I'm watching a performance from someone I hate. With Kev I feel nothing.

Still, I'll admit the Postman is a bit of a guilty pleasure. How can you hate a movie which has a scene where a woman offers to have Kevin's baby because he's wearing a postman's uniform? I bet Cliff Clavin never got any offers like that.

Doc Holliday wrote:Dennis Hopper sucked far harder than Costner in WaterWorld, but you know, he was in like, Easy Rider and Blue Velvet, so hush, let's not mention that.

True, but at least Hopper went out on a limb (a shrivelled thalidomide limb, but a limb nevertheless). I don't think Costner has ever even raised his voice on screen before.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:51 am

I quite liked open range... I don't think it was a poor film really, there's quite a few Costner films that i don't mind... I wouldn't suggest that any were my favourites though...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Costner isn't bad. Not my favorite actor by any means, but when the movie is good, he's good.

There's that huge long courtroom speech at the end of JFK, in which he has to single-handedly carry the movie, and I thought he did a fine job.

But he does have a seriously overblown ego. I compared his Thirteen Days with another film that deals with the same events called The Missles Of October (with William Devane as JFK and Martin Sheen as RFK). In Thirteen Days, it looks almost like the character of Kenny O'Donnell plays a central role in saving the whole damn world, whereas in The Missles Of October, he's barely even mentioned.

Oh well. There are lots of enormous egos in Hollywood, so this is nothing unusual.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:We need a Kevin Costner VS Paul Walker VS a plank of wood thread.

hahahahahah, but atleast Paul Walker has dreamy blue eyes! 8)
Maui
WoWie

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Maui wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:We need a Kevin Costner VS Paul Walker VS a plank of wood thread.

Costner could put on blue contact lenses.

I don't beleive there are any such lenses that would confer upon Paul Wanker the ability to act...
instant_karma

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:30 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Maui wrote:

I don't beleive there are any such lenses that would confer upon Paul Wanker the ability to act...

Yeah, I know. He sucks at acting - but he looks good.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 pm

Maui wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
Maui wrote:

Yeah, I know. He sucks at acting - but he looks good.

You know, you could build a birdhouse out of a plank of wood. I don't even want to THINK about doing that with Costner.
minstrel

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I never really understood the giant hard on some people have against Costner.
I certainly don't hate him... but then again, I've never seen Waterworld.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Vegeta wrote:I never really understood the giant hard on some people have against Costner.
I certainly don't hate him... but then again, I've never seen Waterworld.

I think it has to do with the fact that he went ego-crazy after Dances With Wolves and did things like Robin Hood and Waterworld and others in which he tries to be a superstar action hero. He's a bad case of success going to his head.
minstrel

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:43 pm

minstrel wrote:You know, you could build a birdhouse out of a plank of wood. I don't even want to THINK about doing that with Costner.

Maui
WoWie

Re: Random Kevin Costner thread anyone?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 am

How Kevin Costner got his groove back
JOSEPH V. AMODIO wrote: You remember this guy. Sure you do. He was big, really big, in the '80s and early '90s. The All-American good looks, the quiet stoicism, the Gary Cooper-like charisma. That's what had us coming out in droves to see "No Way Out," "The Untouchables," "Bull Durham," "JFK," "Field of Dreams." We even sat through his epic directorial debut, "Dances with Wolves" -- all 13 hours of it. (OK, it wasn't quite that long, and yes, it won seven Oscars, including best picture.)

Seriously, it was like this dude Kevin Costner could do no wrong.

Until, of course, he did -- critics panned his Sherwood-Forest-by-way-of-Venice-Beach take on "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" (nobody said he was Meryl with the accents), and other directorial efforts, such as "Waterworld" and "The Postman," were legendary flops.

In the past 15 years, the former A-Lister seemed to fade from view. It's not that he stopped making films. Just memorable ones.

Well, quicker than you can say "Dances With Comeback," Costner seems to have staged one. In 2012 came success starring in the History channel's "Hatfields & McCoys" (he won an Emmy), and now he's in four movies this year, three in the first four months. Each recalls a Costner we know and love.

JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT
(January) Action thriller (starring Chris Pine), with Costner as a CIA recruiter. This is Officer Costner (remember "No Way Out"?), and he still looks awfully good in uniform.

3 DAYS TO KILL
(opening Friday) Another actioner, starring Costner as Ethan Runner, a weary CIA hit man with a terminal disease and difficult teen daughter (an entertaining Hailee Steinfeld). He's all stubble, denim, grizzled voice -- Cowboy Costner (a la "Wyatt Earp," "Open Range" or that "Dances With" feller).

DRAFT DAY (April) He's a harried Cleveland Browns general manager with coach, owner and girlfriend (Jennifer Garner) trouble, in this NFL rom-com set on football's most suspenseful day. Heartthrob Costner (think "The Bodyguard," "Message in a Bottle").

MCFARLAND (November) He coaches high school track in a working-class, Hispanic town. Ahh, Coach Costner -- the actor at his best, showcasing his strength and sensitivity when conveying the power and poetry of sports like golf ("Tin Cup"), football ("Draft") and -- of course -- baseball ("Bull," "Field," and "For Love of the Game").
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Actor Discussion