The Bill "Fucking" Murray Thread!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Re: The Bill "Fucking" Murray Thread!!!

Postby so sorry on Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 am

Pretty awesome stuff. Almost makes the tits and ass those guys saw later irrelevant. Almost...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Truly, he is Bill Fucking Murray.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:05 am

AICN:
GHOSTBUSTERS 2 celebrates its 25th Anniversary today and here's why you should give it a second chance!
Nathan Dally wrote:Why did it take 5 years to make a sequel to one of the highest grossing films of all time?

Enter Columbia Pictures CEO David Putnam.

By all accounts Mr. Putnam was very anti-Ghostbusters, he apparently loathed Bill Murray to the point where he would publicly air his grievances against the actor. During a speech at a British-American Chamber of Commerce banquet, he was quoted saying that Murray was "an actor who makes millions off movies but gives nothing back to his art. He's a taker."

The original film was a massive gamble by Putnam’s predecessor, Frank Price. A Hail Mary pass by a desperate studio. Had anyone but Frank Price been the head of Columbia when Ghostbusters was brought to the studio, it would have never seen the light of day. In a corporate sense, Ghostbusters was Price’s legacy. The last thing David Putnam wanted was to bolster someone else’s legacy. David Putnam wanted Columbia to be an Oscar factory, green lighting what he saw as "respectable" films. Needless to say once the studio needed a reliable, sure hit, Putnam and his burnt bridges were out and Dawn Steel, first female to head the Studio, was in. Priority number one on Steel’s agenda? Ghostbusters II.

It’s March 1988. Legendary CAA agent Michael Ovitz is sitting at a table with his clients Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray Ivan Reitman & the late, great Harold Ramis. The back dining room of famous Hollywood showbiz restaurant "Jimmy’s" is covered in "no ghost logo" posters and left over merchandise from the first film. Ovitz has a mission; bury the hatchet between certain members of the creative team. Who was mad at whom and why isn’t known, some say it was money, while others say ego. In the end Ovitz succeeds and a few hours later the four men agree to dust off the PKE meters and strap on their proton packs. However, getting the principle players to commit isn’t the same as signing on. Months of negotiating followed with each party taking a piece of the back end in lieu of major upfront salaries. Back at Columbia Pre Production is fast tracked to meet a summer '89 deadline.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 am

How Bill Murray Saved ‘Saturday Night Live
Brian Lowry wrote:It’s hard to imagine now, but in 1977, Bill Murray was struggling to fill Chevy Chase’s shoes, so much so that he delivered an on-air plea for support from the “Saturday Night Live” audience. His rebound not only marked the beginning of a ready-for-primetime career, but also helped set a template that turned the NBC franchise into one of TV’s most renewable resources.

Murray, then in his mid-20s, joined “SNL” after Chase — thanks to his prat falls and “Weekend Update” segment, the program’s first breakout star — had left to pursue a movie career.

In the early going, Murray was generally deemed a failure, which is why his pitch — tongue in cheek as it was — had a slightly uncomfortable ring of truth about it.

“I don’t think I’m making it on the show,” Murray said, telling viewers it would be a big help — not just to him, naturally, but the widowed mother he supports — “If you could see it in your heart to laugh whenever I say something.”

Murray, of course, rallied spectacularly from his early misfires, and his “SNL” characters remain some of the most indelible the program has produced. Even now, it’s hard not to smile thinking about his Todd & Lisa sketches with Gilda Radner, or Murray’s obnoxious lounge entertainer putting lyrics to the “Star Wars” theme.

More significantly, however, in terms of “SNL’s” longevity, was the message Chase’s exit and Murray’s ascent delivered — namely, that the show could weather the loss of talent. People could come and go, usually to pursue movie careers, and their replacements would fill the void.

Moreover, many of those new “Not Ready for Primetime Players” would blossom into stars themselves, establishing Lorne Michaels’ creation not only as a launching pad for movie headliners (and thus a magnet for performers) but also a commodity that was bigger than any single or even combination of cast members. Eventually, even characters introduced within the program became fodder for movies, such as “Wayne’s World.”

Obviously, there have been arid patches in terms of “SNL’s” makeup over the years, and not all those who have sought to make the leap from the show have enjoyed equal success. For every Eddie Murphy, there’s been a Joe Piscopo — whose movies ultimately led to taking refuge in talkradio — or two.

The basic blueprint, however, has endured. And while “The Daily Show” has come to rival “SNL” both as a vehicle for minting viable comedy talent and a source of satire with an inordinately large cultural footprint, the fact the NBC series remains this formidable as the college students who first watched it age into their 60s is a feat rivaled by few TV franchises — even fewer if you omit news, such as “Today” or “60 Minutes,” from the mix.

Indeed, realizing that “SNL” has remained on the cutting edge of the youth-obsessed comedy game makes its longevity all the more surprising. And while “The Tonight Show” has a longer history, the epic tenures of its hosts — with Johnny Carson and Jay Leno holding down the fort for a half-century between them — has required less adaptability than “Saturday Night” has exhibited in needing to reload every few years.

Murray was just the first addition to keep the show humming along, and singling him out isn’t intended to diminish Michaels and company’s role in consistently finding budding stars across two generations. Still, who’s to say all that would have played out quite so serendipitously had Murray not recovered from his foundering start to become a standout player.

So as Lisa might have told Todd, way to go, Pizza Face.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Everybody loves Bill Murray.
Moriarty wrote:Okay, maybe that's not 100% true, but there are days where it seems like it's true. Bill Murray is well aware of the way people feel about him, and over the course of his very strange career, he has taken full advantage of the latitude that people grant him because of the persona he has cultivated. Bill Murray has become something more than a comic lead, something bigger than a movie start, and arguably something more impressive and enduring than a legend.

Bill Murray is an urban myth.

Talk about transcending your corporeal form, man. We've all heard the Bill Murray stories, wild tales about the actor showing up at a party, staying till dawn, then doing all the dishes in the house before slipping out the back door without a goodbye, or tackling someone in the park before whispering to them, "No one will be believe you." These stories may or may not be true, and Murray would certainly never wade in to try to sort out fact from fabrication, but they all feel true. They feel like what we should expect from the star of "Rushmore" and "Ghostbusters" and "Groundhog Day." After all, his brothers even seem to view him as a sort of comedy Bigfoot

Review: Bill Murray takes a ridiculous tour of the Middle East in 'Rock The Kasbah'
What a bummer.
Moriarty wrote:Oh, Bill.

I recently wrote a piece about how Bill Murray has transcended being a mere living legend and has become a urban myth, and I stand behind every word of that. Unfortunately, Bill often makes choices involving films that make it very hard to support the films themselves, and "Rock The Kasbah" is a perfect example of that.

Mitch Glazer is one of those people who appear to be able to get Bill Murray to actually pick up the phone, and he's a credited co-writer on "Scrooged," a film that features one of my favorite Bill Murray performances. Unfortunately, he's also responsible for writing and directing "Passion Play," one of the worst things Murray has ever been part of, and so walking into "Rock The Kasbah," I had my fingers crossed that Glazer would be able to tap the side of his friend that has made him such an icon for the past forty years.

Nope. Not even close.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:25 am

Bill Murray celebrates Cubs' World Series' win, demands schools closed

Bill Murray: 'I’ve been imagining this for a long time'
Chris Kuc wrote:Team president Theo Epstein encountered actor and long-time Cubs fan Bill Murray in the chaos that was the Cubs’ clubhouse following their victory over the Indians in Game 7 of the World Series and let the Evanston native and graduate of Loyola Academy have it right in the face with a spray of champagne.

“I knew I was going to cry, I didn’t think it was because I was blind,” said Murray, his eyes red and stinging from the celebratory champagne.

Murray, who has been a frequent visitor to Wrigley Field for many years, was beside himself with joy after the team captured its first World Series championship in 108 years Wednesday night in Cleveland.

“When the lions at the Art Institute start wearing Cubs hats or Bears helmets you know there’s some sort of magic happening in the city,” Murray said. “This is it. This was a long time coming. This is really great.”

Did he ever imagine the Cubs would break through and win a title?

“Hell, yes,” Murray said. “You kidding? I’ve been imagining this for a long time. I didn’t think it would happen in Cleveland but I thought it would happen. I thought we’d have it in Wrigley Field. Just being in Wrigley Field and seeing all that excitement this week and the last few weeks is dreamy. It’s really pretty cool.”

Murray, who was slugging champagne directly from a bottle, then turned a bit mystical to explain the Cubs’ rollercoaster ride to the title.

“Whenever you pass from one atmosphere to another there’s a lot of energy,” Murray said. “It takes a lot of energy to blast a rocket ship up into space and it takes a lot of energy to blast yourself to the World Series. There’s a force field you have to pass through and the Indians put it up.”

NY Times AUG. 8, 2017:
Bill Murray Relives a Role, Seeing Broadway’s ‘Groundhog Day’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion