The Bill "Fucking" Murray Thread!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Re: The Bill "Fucking" Murray Thread!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So I'm watching The Man Who Knew Too Little on TV right now.

Such hilarious chuckles! Shows one of the Bill Murray appeals is hat he can be a total moron or a simpleton who just has no idea or personal involvement in the crap that goes on around him, but just seems to coast through life or a situation and get away with it. Check this and Peter Venkman, even Groundhog Day on certain levels.

This is him being refreshing and angst relief. Maybe we all should lighten up and try being like these guys for a day, see what happens.

i lurv that movie. definitely one of his most underappreciated comedies.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah it is. Seemed to get buried there under some of his major hits but that don't make it noteable. Plus as anyone who watches it repeatedly when they catch it on TV will realise, it remains funny on repeat viewings, never seems to lose it's freshness. I think it will be the film that people will say when asked about Bill's fave comedies... 'Er, Ghostbusters, Scrooged, Groundhog Day, blah blah, blah blah.... oh and The Man Who Knew Too Little! Can't forget that!'
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Am I the only one who reads this thread title and gets an image of a guy called Bill fucking a guy called Murray?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Seppuku wrote:Am I the only one who reads this thread title and gets an image of a guy called Bill fucking a guy called Murray?

Were you disappointed when it turned out it wasn't?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 am

From /film: Aykroyd Reveals Details of New Ghostbusters ‘Leader’ and Busting Tech
Brendon Connelly wrote:Aykroyd also mentions that Bill Murray’s condition for returning was that Ernie Hudson’s previously underwritten role as Winston Zeddemore would be beefed up to put him on equal footing with the others. A class move, Mr. Murray.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am

further confirming that bill murray is, indeed, awesome.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 am

If anyone can bring back the lost art of Headbutting, its Murray!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 am

I wanna see Murray star in a film alongside the Iraqi shoe-thrower.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Bill Murray is, and will forever be, the man.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:54 am

From Cinema Blend:
Wes Anderson Inspired Art Has Bill Murray Playing Everyone
Eric Eisenberg wrote:Because of his incredibly high ranking on the "Awesome" scale, Bill Murray
has had the luxury in recent years to act in only movies that he really wants to be in. Luckily for us, a good number of those films have been for director Wes Anderson, playing roles in every one of his films since starring in Rushmore back in 1998 (though his Darjeeling Limited role was criminally short). Apparently, however, artist Casey Weldon wasn't satisfied seeing Murray only playing characters like Herman Blume, Raleigh St. Clair, and Steve Zissou. So he decided to start replacing the other actors.

On Weldon's personal blog he has posted six prints of what Bill Murray would look like if he played Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman) in Rushmore, Chas, Margot and Ritchie Tenenbaum (Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson) in The Royal Tenenbaums, Anne-Marie (Robyn Cohen) in The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, and Francis (Owen Wilson) in The Darjeeling Limited. The prints were designed for an exhibit called Bad Dads which will be on display at the Lopo gallery in San Francisco. All of the art shown at the exhibit will be inspired by Anderson's films.

You can check out three of the prints below and see the rest over at Weldon's website. They're admittedly kind of creepy, but also pretty damn cool.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:15 am

Bing (Groundhog Day + Pogo Tribute)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Only thing I can say is:

WTF
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Only thing I can say is:

WTF

Man even with Bill Murrey talking, golf conversation has got to be the most BORING thing ever.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:56 pm

so sorry wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:Only thing I can say is:

WTF

Man even with Bill Murrey talking, golf conversation has got to be the most BORING thing ever.

Yup. I only posted it for completeness sake. We need to fully document the Murray, to try and understand it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: The Lost Roles of Bill Murray

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:38 am

From Motion Captured:
The Morning Read: Is Christopher McQuarrie suiting up for 'Star Blazers'?
Drew McWeeny wrote:None of these titles surprised me, but when you look at all of the roles that Bill Murray could have played but didn't all in one place, you realize he could have had a very, very different career if he'd made just one or two different choices.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Lost Roles of Bill Murray

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Motion Captured:
The Morning Read: Is Christopher McQuarrie suiting up for 'Star Blazers'?
Drew McWeeny wrote:None of these titles surprised me, but when you look at all of the roles that Bill Murray could have played but didn't all in one place, you realize he could have had a very, very different career if he'd made just one or two different choices.

I like finding out these little tidbits of behind-the-scenes stuff, thanks Butcher.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Bill Murray/Howard Stern interview

Don't get to listen to Howard anymore unfortunately.... cool little interview.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentScream on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm

One of the best deadpan comedian since Keaton. Nowhere near in Buster's league (of course) but when he gets the right parts he is superb. Just thank God that in a movie world full of useless fuckers like Ashton Kutcher, Adam Sandler, Will Smith and that horrendous mountain of pus, Jack Black, we do have an actor who can do great comedy like Murray does.
He'd act those toe rags off the screen with one look of his eye.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

You're right, silentscream. I always noted how Bill Murray could just crack me up just by doing very nearly nothing with his face. But he must know what he's doing and has some clever thought in his head that knows that behind that absent thought appearance there's something cunning being hatched underneath. In a funny way of course.

Dramatically, ugh, not so sure if a simple look can be AS effective, but despite his work that doesn't show great theatrics or shout out loud "I'M ACTING!!!" and are very simple to me, he is very memorable and gives concrete performances.

You know, as subtle or quiet as his straight stuff is, all this bollox about Jim Carrey trying to show us he can be a serious actor, Bill Murray kicks his ass an shows him how it's done. It's like 'either you have it or you don't'. Sometimes it's as simple as turning up and giving a look, doing a simple action, saying just a line - and this can show how attention grabbing you can be. Some just o it better than others, none of this rubbish about choosing flashy roles.

Carrey has gone for a lot of roles to prove himself as straight guy, but he's not as genuine as Murray. I reckon he WISHES he could be Billy Murray.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Totally agree with you. He's a pretty deceptive actor, is Murray. There's a lot of depth bubbling under his performances. A look, a gesture, a throwaway line that can convey so much without resorting to CAPITAL LETTERS ACTING.
I'd love to see him given some meaty dramatic roles. Like all great comedic actors, he has the making of a great tragedian. I could well imagine him excelling in a Scorsese flick or a Malick one or something dark by Chris Nolan.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 pm

SilentScream wrote:A look, a gesture, a throwaway line that can convey so much without resorting to CAPITAL LETTERS ACTING.

Oh yeah. He has a lot of these moments in Rushmore, which I replayed a lot of his scenes over and over again when I first saw it.

I like his "I'm pretty lonely these days." line that he just throws out there in a "Whatever" fashion. So frank. But it really makes you feel all that crap that he's going though. Mid life disaster, wife leaving him, hating his kids, the girl he loves coming to nothing. Ruin. It's bad shit man. All in one line, rather than a big crying scene.

Who I'd like him to work with? Er, - meeee!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Like you say, that's the big difference between him and the shouty, brass, crass likes of Carey, Robin Williams, Sandler, Jack Black and co. There's a wistful melancholy to his humour that makes him all the more human, all the more touching. I think he's probably the only true existenstial fim comedy actor doing the rounds at the moment and has been for the past 20 odd years or so.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 pm

VULTURE EXCLUSIVE:
Bill Murray Will Play FDR
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 am

From CBR:
Robert Downey Wanted Bill Murray For Iron Man But Couldn’t Find Him

Bill Murray: The ESQ+A
The actor talks about inaccessibility and freedom, commitment and fatherhood. And Wes Anderson. And citrus fruit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Bill Murray calls Kelly Lynch's husband during her sex scene in 'Road House'

As was reported on Monday, Oct. 15, 2012, Kelly Lynch did an interview with AV Club in which she admitted that Murray actually calls her husband every time her sex scene with Patrick Swayze in "Road House" comes on.

Lynch is married to Mitch Glazer, who actually has a connection to Murray. Glazer co-wrote Murray's 1988 Christmas film "Scrooged. Well, Glazer still hears from Murray every once in a while and Lynch said it is always when she and Swayze are up against the wall in "Road House."

"Speaking of Bill Murray, every time Road House is on and he or one of his idiot brothers are watching TV—and they’re always watching TV—one of them calls my husband and says [In a reasonable approximation of Carl Spackler], “Kelly’s having sex with Patrick Swayze right now. They’re doing it. He’s throwing her against the rocks.” [Away from the receiver.] What? Oh, my God. Mitch was just walking out the door to the set, and he said that Bill once called him from Russia."
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:22 am

USC students hope for Bill Murray on Bill Murray Appreciation Day
Bill Murray Appreciaton Day will be held on Feb. 2
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am

TheButcher wrote:USC students hope for Bill Murray on Bill Murray Appreciation Day
Bill Murray Appreciaton Day will be held on Feb. 2

if this works, then i will immediately begin preparations for Eva Green Appreciation Day, to be held in my pants on an annual basis.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Groundhog Day 2013!!!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 pm

20 Thoughts on the 20th Anniversary of Groundhog Day
Chris O'Shea wrote:This February marks the twentieth anniversary of Groundhog Day — the Bill Murray film about living the same day over and over again. This February marks the twentieth anniversary of Groundhog Day — the Bill Murray film about living the same day over and over again. Sorry. That's the last time I do that, promise. Here are twenty thoughts, small and large, personal and not, on the occasion.

1. When Groundhog Day was released in 1993, pretty much everyone loved it. Roger Ebert gave it three stars and said that while it was clearly a comedy, "There's an underlying dynamic that is a little more thoughtful." The New York Times praised it for being "witty," and the Washington Post called it "wildly funny."

2. If you're a fan of Murray and Harold Ramis (who worked together most famously on Ghostbusters, among other films), Groundhog Day is bittersweet, as this marked the beginning of their estrangement. Ramis claimed that Murray acted irrationally and immaturely during the shoot (to be fair, Murray's marriage was rumored to be on the rocks). Years later, Ramis told The New Yorker, "What I’d want to say to him is just what we tell our children: 'You don’t have to throw tantrums to get what you want. Just say what you want.'" Obviously, there are two sides to every story, but regardless of what happened, it's a shame these two no longer work together.

3. I'm from Pittsburgh, and I'm almost positive that when the trio is leaving the city for Punxsutawney, they are headed the wrong way. Punxsutawney is east of Pittsburgh, but they look to be traveling west.

4. Phil Connors (Murray) plays a weatherman who is cynical, self-centered, and bored with his career, which is exactly how I imagine most meteorologists feel. No one likes them because they have the easiest job ever created. Meteorologists simply look at some radars and proudly proclaim that there's a 20 percent chance of something. If they're wrong — as they often are — they just shrug their shoulders and say, "It's the weather! It's unpredictable!"

5. How Connors deals with his Groundhog Day strikes me as fairly realistic. I like that Ramis has Connors delve into his evil side when he first realizes there won't be any consequences. When no one is watching — and there’s little chance we’ll pay for the wrongs we commit — what are most of us likely to do? Bad things ... like steal money from perhaps the dumbest armored-car guards ever. In time, my guess is we'd all lose interest and begin to question what we did to keep us in this looping nightmare, just like Connors does.

6. One of Connors's conquests while exploring his dark side is to manipulate and then bed Nancy Taylor (Marita Geraghty). The year after Groundhog Day was released, Geraghty played Margaret on "The Big Salad" episode of Seinfeld. Unfortunately, she didn't fare much better there — Newman tells Jerry that he dumped Margaret because he considered her unattractive. (I try to find a way to work Seinfeld into everything.)

7. Something that has always puzzled me about Groundhog Day: Why didn't Connors just stay awake past 6 a.m.? That's the point at which February 2 begins again and he wakes to the awful "I Got You Babe" blaring. Drink some coffee, chase that with some Jolt (the energy soda for people who preferred their heart failure to taste like battery acid and come in a fun package), and a king-size Snickers — whatever you need to do. I suppose it's inferred that Connors tried to stay awake through it, but Ramis should've made that clearer.

8. There's a slew of memorable characters in Groundhog Day, but my favorite is definitely Ned "Needlenose Ned, Ned the Head" Ryerson. Ryerson (the character actor par excellence Stephen Tobolowsky) is supremely annoying, but when Connors slugs him, you almost feel bad for the guy. But remember, Ryerson points at Connors, laughs, and says, "Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy!" each time Connors steps into a puddle. What kind of a person laughs at someone who gets a wet foot? Someone who deserves to be punched, that's who.

9. Rita (Andie MacDowell), the producer, tells Connors that she "always toasts to world peace" when Connors is busy trying to seduce her. Talk about a buzzkill. Her drink of choice is also sweet vermouth on the rocks, which is just gross.

10. Murray seems extremely comfortable playing an unhappy person, so it makes sense that most of the good dialogue in Groundhog Day comes when he is still being mean to people. When Ryerson asks Connors what he is doing for dinner, Connors shoots back, "Something else." At one point, Connors brushes someone off by bluntly stating, "Don't mess with me porkchop." Connors's perfect day, the one he wished he was reliving, is also masterfully delivered. "I was in the Virgin Islands once," Connors explains. "I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters."

11. A lot of ambiguity surrounds just how much time passes during Connors's endless loop. Ramis at one point is on record as saying it was ten years, but then he changed his mind and said it was "more like 30 or 40." Tobolowsky (Ryerson) claimed in interviews that Ramis told him it was 10,000 years. I would say the 30 to 40 years is accurate, because Connors would need at least that to remember every tiny detail he learns about the townspeople, how to play the piano, etc.

12. After Connors grows tired of being repeatedly rebuffed by Rita, he begins a downward spiral. It's at this point that he finally admits that he doesn't like himself. He then tries to commit suicide by: driving off a cliff, electrocution via a toaster tossed into his bath water, jumping in front of a truck, and launching himself from a church bell tower. He lists a few more ways (burning, for example) that aren't shown.

13. For someone who hates his job, give credit to Connors for continuing to go back to the live report on Punxsutawney Phil every day for decades. That's an excellent work ethic.

14. Speaking of furry Phil, groundhogs and woodchucks are the same animal. The more you know.

15. Debbie, a local who has cold feet about marrying another local named Fred, decides to go through with it after Connors convinces them that they're in love. Fred is played by a very young Michael Shannon, who now is more widely known for portraying the ultra-creepy Nelson Van Alden on Boardwalk Empire.

16. It's nice that Rita ends up falling for Connors, but she does so after just one day. I can hear Rita's friends right now: "What? You just met that guy! Girl, what the hell is wrong with you? When you get back to Pittsburgh, we're going out.”

17. Groundhog Day is definitely a time-travel movie. This is why Connors is capable of remembering details and learning new skills, like playing "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paginini," by Sergei Rachmaninoff, on the piano. Connors is on a broken time record; when 6 a.m. hits, the record skips back to the exact same point of February 2.

18. Murray starred in Mad Dog and Glory — alongside Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman — in 1993 as well. In the film, Murray plays a mob boss who does stand-up comedy. De Niro, a shy police crime-scene photographer, saves Murray's life, and to repay him, Murray asks De Niro to accept Thurman's, uh, services. Now you know why you don't remember Mad Dog and Glory.

19. Murray recently told GQ that the only way he'd return to traditionally funny movies like Groundhog Day is if he wrote one. It's a shame, because rewatching this has made me appreciate just how perfect Murray is in straight comedies.

20. The moral of Groundhog Day? The easiest way to prevent undesirable time travel is to stop being a jackass.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Simon Gallagher wrote:33 years and 350 days

So if my math is right (it probably isn”t) that means something like…

413 months
1766 weeks
12,395 days
297, 480 hours
17, 848, 800 minutes

So next time you are asked… “Hey, just how many days does Bill Murray spend locked in Groundhog Day?” – The answer my friends, is, 12,395 days!!

That’s a far shout from that 8 years figure bandied about in that article mentioned above – and even further away from the 10,000 years that were supposedly mentioned in the initial drafts of the film. I can only thank my lucky stars I didn’t have to go to those lengths!

All that effort to find out that Harold Ramis was pretty much right in the first sodding place. It’s alright though, man’s a goddamn genius.

For anyone who wants to check all of this, I really don’t suggest watching Groundhog Day in this manner. It’s not the best way to enjoy what is essentially a light-hearted comedy whose metaphysical concerns are supposed to be enjoyed in fun, and not worked out mathematically. Normal people should be happy to just watch, and accept that Phil Connors is stuck repeating his one day endlessly over and over until he finds himself- but then, I don’t think I’m normal.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 am

The Bill "Fucking" Murray Show is coming to HBO

ok, it's not really called The Bill "Fucking" Murray Show. but it should be.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Bill "Fucking" Murray is Scrooged!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 am

Twenty-five years ago ... 'Scrooged' was released
Whitney Matheson wrote:What's your favorite holiday comedy?

Maybe you rank A Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation at the top. Me? I'd go with Scrooged.

Tomorrow marks 25 years since the movie's release. And while I have a few friends who also regard Scrooged as a classic, I feel like it still hasn't gotten the credit it deserves.

Directed by Richard Donner (Superman, The Goonies), Bill Murray starred in Scrooged just a few years after conquering the box office with that other ghost-themed comedy. As you may recall, the flick is an updated version of A Christmas Carol, putting Murray at the center as Frank, a grinch-like TV exec who cares more about money and over-the-top programming than his loved ones.

Though I think the story holds up extraordinarily well, one of Scrooged's greatest assets is its cast. Karen Allen plays Frank's love interest, with Carol Kane, the New York Dolls' David Johansen and the late John Forsythe as ghosts who visit him. Cameos include this very brief one from Miles Davis (standing with Paul Shaffer and David Sanborn):

Other late, great talents appear as well, including Robert Mitchum, John Houseman, Robert Goulet, Anne Ramsey and Buddy Hackett.

Scrooged received mixed reviews upon its release — it was called a "sprawling mess" and "appallingly unfunny" — but I wonder if those critics would react the same way today. Sure, it's a dark tale that doesn't resemble any previous adaptation of the Dickens story. But, despite its notable cast, I love how it feels more like an indie than a blockbuster. (And actually, a decade before, screenwriters Mitch Glazer and Michael O'Donoghue penned one of my favorite cult movies, 1979's Mr. Mike's Mondo Video.)

I can recall seeing Scrooged with my family and laughing out loud ... at completely different scenes. (I didn't find "Have you tried staples?" funny then, but it cracks me up now!) While I have nothing against It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas, back in 1988 it was a relief to discover holiday fare that had a bit of an edge.

Murray received much warmer receptions for Ghostbusters and Caddyshack, but I think Scrooged is just as much of an '80s essential. Between viewings of Love Actually and Rankin/Bass specials this winter, perhaps you should give it another whirl.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Bill "Fucking" Murray is Peter "Fucking" Pan!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 am

Bill Murray Auditions For The Lead In NBC’s ‘Peter Pan Live!”

David Letterman - Bill Murray's Peter Pan Flying Entrance
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Bill Murray speaks out about the passing of Harold Ramis: ‘He earned his keep on this planet’
The Oscar-nominated actor, who frequently collaborated with Harold Ramis until their falling out after filming 1993’s ‘Groundhog Day,’ issued a statement about the late director.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Bill Murray Riffs on Shia LaBeouf's Problems: 'He's Got a Funny Name'
The actor joked about his fellow "Rock the Kasbah" castmember during a presentation at the Berlin film market, where he was introduced as the "Murray-cane."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Harold "Fucking" Ramis Thread!!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:47 am

MORIARTY’S RUMBLINGS FROM THE LAB
The Big Damn ‘90s List:
MORIARTY'S '90s List - 1993 (Part 1)
4. GROUNDHOG DAY

Harold Ramis and Bill Murray worked together several times before collaborating on this poignant, lyrical comedy fable, a film that stands as a career high for both men. Danny Rubin's script is the best comedy/fantasy since BACK TO THE FUTURE, but this film has one weapon that film didn't: Murray. This film does what Michael O'Donoghue's SCROOGED couldn't; it starts with cynical Murray at his very best, his most acidic and withering, and then it turns him, changes him, betters him without ever getting preachy, without forgetting to make us laugh. Ramis also manages to make Andie McDowall interesting enough to justify Murray's attention, no mean feat. One of the film's real strengths is the simplicity of its premise. We get it as soon as it's set up, and that allows Rubin and Ramis plenty of room to explore it in real depth. Murray's journey in this film may be absurd, but it's also profound. The idea of being trapped in a repeating life until we better ourselves in some significant way is at the heart of some of the world's major religions. Finding it at the heart of what is ostensibly a mainstream Hollywood comedy is the best kind of shock, and it makes this a classic.

MORIARTY'S '90s List - 1993 (Part 2)
Bill Murray, GROUNDHOG DAY

Forget about THE RAZOR'S EDGE. This film proves that Bill can handle pretty much anything a director would ever want to throw at him. He manages to hit every note an actor can hit over the running time of the movie, and that's because the film lets him change as the world around him stays the same. I don't think I've ever seen Bill unleash quite as much of himself onscreen, and the overall effect brings us closer as an audience to him than we've ever been. His cynical hipster characters have always maintained a distance, building a wall of sarcasm around themselves. This time, though, we see that wall crumble, brick by brick, until we're left with someone else, someone that might just be the real Murray. It's great work, brave and funny, and it pays off the film's magnificent concept in spades.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 am

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion