The Bill "Fucking" Murray Thread!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:35 pm

Zarles wrote:He showed that you don't have to be falling down or making silly faces in order to be funny.

Oh sure man, sure. Just looking at his face when it's not doing anything can make me crack up loud loling!!!! Dunno how he does it. He's just got that dopey look on his face, but deep down inside I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing to make it so damn funny.

Having said that, and this is a bit of both of Still to Loud facial acting... the beginning of Scrooged where he's just sitting at that meeting, and he's got that distant meanish look on his face and everyone in the room is frozen scared by him for ages - then for some reason he pulls open his drawer, looks at a mirror in it, then pulls the most stupid teethy childish smile!!! I peed myself laughing!!! I mean, WHY did he do that for?!?!!?!?

Just brilliant!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Zarles on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:36 pm

I'm not sure I could pick one, as he's got so many different classics out there to choose from. Zissou is definitely up there, though.

'Anne-Marie, do all the interns get Glocks?'

Heh.

Kirk wrote:Just looking at his face when it's not doing anything can make me crack up loud loling!!!! Dunno how he does it. He's just got that dopey look on his face, but deep down inside I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing to make it so damn funny.

That's called genius, mate. The man's got it in spades.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:16 pm

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:37 pm

tapehead wrote:Image

Wow, look at how young he looks!!!

Loved Caddyshack.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Yeah. Bill Murray don't look bad neither!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:20 am

Ghostbusters is one of may favorite comedies and my favorite Murray performance.

But Groundhog Day should be mentioned, and I watch Scrooged every Christmas.

And did anyone see that movie "The Man Who Knew Too Little" ? I never see it mentioned when people talk about Murray, but he totally carried that movie. With a different actor, I think it would have fallen flat.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:30 am

Was thinking of mentioning The Man Who Knew Too Little. I think it's brilliant!!! Hilarious. I love the innocence of him and the film. But so many great moments and acting. Like when he's being chased by the cops and he's running over the traffic cones, when he gets pulled over and the cops come up to his window and he says to Joanne Whalley, 'ooh I like mine!'

He's just a complete idiot - but you know, his brother thinks the world of him, he wins the day, Whaley is all over him - AND he carries on doing it at the end of the film.

What I like is how Whalley just wets her knickers in laughter at the guy - but you're doing it along with her, as you can see why she finds him so funny yourself. It's one of his more unknown but actually funny roles!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Zarles on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:57 am

I think Stripes, Meatballs, Caddyshack, and Ghostbusters are his best comedies, while Lost in Translation, Steve Zissou, Tenenbaums, and Rushmore are his best dramas. There's always a bit of comedy in there somewhere, though.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:16 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Was thinking of mentioning The Man Who Knew Too Little. I think it's brilliant!!! Hilarious. I love the innocence of him and the film. But so many great moments and acting. Like when he's being chased by the cops and he's running over the traffic cones, when he gets pulled over and the cops come up to his window and he says to Joanne Whalley, 'ooh I like mine!'

He's just a complete idiot - but you know, his brother thinks the world of him, he wins the day, Whaley is all over him - AND he carries on doing it at the end of the film.

What I like is how Whalley just wets her knickers in laughter at the guy - but you're doing it along with her, as you can see why she finds him so funny yourself. It's one of his more unknown but actually funny roles!!

Yeah, twas a very funny film. Its from his 'dark period' mind, one I've read he's not especially fond of.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Zarles wrote:I think Stripes, Meatballs, Caddyshack, and Ghostbusters are his best comedies, while Lost in Translation, Steve Zissou, Tenenbaums, and Rushmore are his best dramas. There's always a bit of comedy in there somewhere, though.

He's really done alot of films. Doesn't seem like he gets the right amount of props for it though.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:I think Stripes, Meatballs, Caddyshack, and Ghostbusters are his best comedies, while Lost in Translation, Steve Zissou, Tenenbaums, and Rushmore are his best dramas. There's always a bit of comedy in there somewhere, though.

He's really done alot of films. Doesn't seem like he gets the right amount of props for it though.

Huh! With all the money he earns, you'd think he could hire a decent props department by now then eh? But then again, with his resourcefulness and improv skills he can probably do better without the props and instead make things better by use of his imagination eh? Good discussion and points raised by you though.

Your Zones are impressive. You must be very proud.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Maui wrote:

Huh! With all the money he earns, you'd think he could hire a decent props department by now then eh? But then again, with his resourcefulness and improv skills he can probably do better without the props and instead make things better by use of his imagination eh? Good discussion and points raised by you though.

Your Zones are impressive. You must be very proud.

Damn proud! :mrgreen:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 pm

how this thread could go so long without an Ernie McCracken shout-out is beyond me.

Bunny Breckinridge in ED WOOD, his sleazy lawyer perf in WILD THINGS, Polonius in Almeredya's pretty good modern HAMLET...

and of course, lampooning his image and getting ragged on by the RZA and GZA in COFFEE AND CIGARETTES.

Bill-fucking-Murray, cameo master.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 pm

You forgot to mention his sadistic turn as the pain freak in Little Shop of Horrors, KCBC!! HA!! Beat you there, man!!!!!!

Gives KCBC a Bill Murray winky.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Kirk, you fooking fool, falls right into my cunning ruse to post Bill Murray vs. Jack Nicholson cameos!

Jack

Bill
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Bunny Breckinridge in ED WOOD

"Guess where I'm going."

"Where?"

"Meh-he-co!" :lol:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:And of course, lampooning his image and getting ragged on by the RZA and GZA in COFFEE AND CIGARETTES.

Ghostbustin'-ass Bill Muwway!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Kirk, you fooking fool, falls right into my cunning ruse to post Bill Murray vs. Jack Nicholson cameos!

Jack

Bill

Hehheeeheeee!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

When I was with my ex in New Zealand and I would get her all peed off with me and she would try to slap me about in anger, I would always base my reaction on Bill Murray in that sketch 'YEAAAAHHH YEAAAAAAHH YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' The poor chick could only just stop and look at me totally without hope and just shout 'PERVEEEERRTTT!!!!!!!!' as she knew that nothing she could do could ever ever really beat me and that she was totally defeated by my sicko power.

Once more, Bill Murray wins the day for Kirk and chicks. I highly advise the rest of you follow suit.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby King Psyz on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:46 am

Kirks, let me know your thoughts on Where the Buffalo Roams when you've had a chance to see it.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:51 am

I keep forgetting that one of the reasons why Ed Wood is so great is because of Bill Murray. Such a subtle and yet brilliant role.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:02 am

Pacino86845 wrote:

I keep forgetting that one of the reasons why Ed Wood is so great is because of Bill Murray. Such a subtle and yet brilliant role.

Landau and Jeffrey Jones as Criswell also (although the latter is not such a cool name to drop lately). Vincent D'Onofrio pulls one of my all time favourite cameos as Orson Welles in Ed Wood too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:07 am

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 should have Johnny Depp as Ed Wood as Jack Sparrow... they can go all meta on us, it could be hilarious:

Ed Sparrow: Ok, you're a pirate. The water's swishing around you, splashing in your face. You don't know what's going on. You see a light, and you look at it. Great, that's a cut!! Moving on!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:11 am

I'm not ashamed to say that Peter Venkman was one of my earliest crushes. I idolized Sigourney Weaver too and it was probably all because she got Venkman, not because she played Dian Fossey!

Anyway, Murray comes to Coors Field to watch the Rockies every once and awhile. Apparently he always gets completely plastered and the cops hate dealing with him. They say he's not very nice, which breaks my heart. I'd like to think saying "I had a crush on you in Ghostbusters" would make all the difference, but it probably wouldn't.

Of course, you can't trust Denver cops as I find them to be the biggest assholes on the planet. So maybe Bill Murray is a super nice guy and they annoy the crap out of him.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chilli on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:16 am

Eh, most people turn into assholes when they drink.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:22 am

Hmm, I'm not sure Bill Murray ever had a reputation as being a nice guy... I'd heard about his jerkness on several occasions, but we also have to bear in mind that these things always end up being exaggerated, even though there might be truth to them.

The image I like to keep of Bill Murray is his being on the verge of tears when he didn't receive the Oscar for Lost in Translation. People started applauding him, it was a really sweet moment for the usually dull wankfest that is the Oscars.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chilli on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:25 am

The image I like to keep of Bill Murray is his being on the verge of tears when he didn't receive the Oscar for Lost in Translation. People started applauding him, it was a really sweet moment for the usually dull wankfest that is the Oscars.

Goes to show how out of touch the Oscars are/were/will always be.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:37 am

Another thing about Bill Murray is he's kind of old school in the way he speaks, and people pick apart at the things he says waaaay too much... I remember reading some article about the 2004 (?) Oscars, and the writer said something along the lines of "Bill Murray sets back women's progress by referring to Sofia Coppola as a girl." See, I don't think he meant anything bad by it, it's just his sort of frank (and I guess not PC) way of speaking.

And I just saw another article where the writer said something like "people were shocked by Bill Murray's refusing to applaud for Sean Penn's win," but I remember that moment and it looked to me like Murray was doing his best to hold back tears. He knew the camera was on him, one billion people watching, how would it have looked if he was clapping and sobbing like a girl, eh? Give the guy a break!!

Later on Bill made it clearer that he has a general disdain for awards shows, and that he somehow regrets even attending those Oscars.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 am

tapehead wrote:Vincent D'Onofrio pulls one of my all time favourite cameos as Orson Welles in Ed Wood too.

gotta love Maurice LaMarche's voiceover there as well...

"Tell me about it. I'm supposed to do a thriller for Universal. They want Charlton Heston as a Mexican."

Maurice LaMarche, the Bill Murray of voiceover acting...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:44 am

man, i must be reading stuff Murray's publicist has published, 'cuz I've always heard he's really cool on the set...

to the teamsters and catering and craftspeople, at any rate.

you know, the blue-collar type workers on a set.

which I always thought spoke a lot more about his person than clashing with some h@ck director or writer.

man's from Chicago, calling Sofia a "girl" comes with the territory...

right Lecko?

:wink:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:46 am

I think he just views himself as a regular guy, and doesn't want to put up with the Hollywood crap. Explains the answering machine he sporadically checks for roles.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
tapehead wrote:Vincent D'Onofrio pulls one of my all time favourite cameos as Orson Welles in Ed Wood too.

gotta love Maurice LaMarche's voiceover there as well...

"Tell me about it. I'm supposed to do a thriller for Universal. They want Charlton Heston as a Mexican."

Maurice LaMarche, the Bill Murray of voiceover acting...

Yes, well, it's obvious Bill Murray isn't the Bill Murray of voiceover acting...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:25 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Later on Bill made it clearer that he has a general disdain for awards shows, and that he somehow regrets even attending those Oscars.

Hehehe... donna forget a the Golden Globe awards, eh? When a the Murray, inna his a dry manner said that he dinna expect a to be nominated a 'cos a he fired his agent "months ago" anna his a personal trainer went anna killed a himself, no? Alla the putzes inna the audience, they laughed, but holy crappa the Murray? He was a not a kidding!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Zarles on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:56 am

One of my favorite Bill stories -

Right after Lost in Translation came out, some fan saw him standing near a boat dock in Europe where a giant steamboat was harbored nearby. The fan yelled to him and asked what he said to Scarlett Johanssen at the end of Lost in Translation, and right as Bill began to yell back an answer, a huge blast of steam and noise came from the smokestack of the steamboat, completely drowning out Bill's answer. Bill kept talking despite all the noise, though, and he finished right as the steamboat did. Bill just smiled, waved, and yelled to the fan, 'So now you know!' and walked off. The man's a classic.

So he's got that going for him.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I always take the "total jerk" stories with a grain of salt...I mean, how often are actors just chowing down on some lunch and someone comes up and demands they "perform." There's few of us who would have the constant patience to put up with it.

And like I said, when it comes from a Denver cop you automatically have to assume they were dickish first. They've certainly never been nice to me and I'm in the family, as it were!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:30 am

Zarles wrote:One of my favorite Bill stories -

Right after Lost in Translation came out, some fan saw him standing near a boat dock in Europe where a giant steamboat was harbored nearby. The fan yelled to him and asked what he said to Scarlett Johanssen at the end of Lost in Translation, and right as Bill began to yell back an answer, a huge blast of steam and noise came from the smokestack of the steamboat, completely drowning out Bill's answer. Bill kept talking despite all the noise, though, and he finished right as the steamboat did. Bill just smiled, waved, and yelled to the fan, 'So now you know!' and walked off. The man's a classic.

HAHAHAHAHAHA - FUCKING EXCELLENT!!!
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:15 am

banthafodderUK wrote:

apocryphal
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:02 am

tapehead wrote:
banthafodderUK wrote:[quo te="Zarles"]One of my favorite Bill stories -

apocryphal[/quote]

you mean http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/spurious ?
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 am

banthafodderUK wrote:

Stop stealing my responses. You know, some actors it matter if they are an '*sshole' in real life amd some well, something about how cool and brilliant they are, well, it doesn't really matter what they're like, you still dig 'em.

Murray's the latter. If he told me to bugger off on a film set if I was foaming at the mouth as I humped his leg and maybe foaming in another way, well I really wouldn't care and I'd still respect him for that, wether it was in the morning after or after a few seconds.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chilli on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:19 am

I prefer an actor like Murray who can be angry/cool dependant on the day than a Tom Cruise who puts on a fake smile all the time. You just get the sense with Murray that he'd be genuine no matter what, even if you took offense to it.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 am

favourite Murray lines??????

"That's right boys - it's Doctor Venkman!" (while spraying the apartment)
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 am

There is no way this winter is *ever* going to end as long as that groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don't see any way out of it. He's got to be stopped. And I have to stop him.

heh
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Zarles on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:43 am

Apocryphal? Spurious? Who talks like that?

Bill was in the audience of Iron Chef America last night. He gave a few comments about Iron Chef Cat Cora, ('She's got the imagination of a pixie, but the will of an Emperor's daughter') and at the end of the show, Alton Brown gave a little shout to him by calling the entire episode 'a Cinderella story'.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 am

I have no idea what you just said but you touched a brother deep deep down.

OK, you can let go now. I... said..... let........ GO!!!!

Man's got a grip of a grip of a chimpanzee!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 am

HAHAHAHA - I JUST GOT A FLASHBACK OF BILL MURRAY SING 'THE STAR WARS - NOTHING BUT STAR WARS......' song on SNL HAHAHAHA!!

(from another relevant thread)

The Murray Star Wars song is on one of the features on the Bonus DVD from the OT (special editions) box set
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am

banthafodderUK wrote:The Murray Star Wars song is on one of the features on the Bonus DVD from the OT (special editions) box set

It is? Where?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:42 am

Zarles wrote:
banthafodderUK wrote:The Murray Star Wars song is on one of the features on the Bonus DVD from the OT (special editions) box set

It is? Where?

Its on one of the featurettes about when star wars first hit the cinemas - i cant remember exactly which one, but its about how the US went star wars mad for a while........
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:07 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

Same here. Not only did he look crestfallen at not winning, but absolutely disgusted! As if it should've been his by right! The best, most real life moment at the Oscars since Vanessa Redgrave's 'zionist hoodlums' acceptance speech which was greeted with boos. Give me all this instead of Paltrow's/Hank's/Beery's orgasmic tears of overwhelming luvvie gratitude and thanking Ma and Pa and God and trying a little too hard to be humble and all 'ah-shucks' (Jimmy Stewart style).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:12 pm

One of Murray's best lines/moments....

In Groundhog Day when he and his new mates get pulled over by the police. The policeman comes up to Murray's door to speak to him.

Everyone is scared, but Bill Murray says 'don't worry, I'll handle this, I'll do the talking' then says to the Policeman when he arrives at his window.... 'I'll have 3 French Fries, 2 double cheese burgers, and 4 Cherry Cokes.' Something like that anyway. In a quiet scene you could hear me suddenly blast out my loud laughter!!!!!

I swear I wish I could be as sharp and clever as some of his stuff. No wonder he was a role model in my near adulthood. Still there actually.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby banthafodderUK on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:07 pm

"don't drive angry!"

murray to groundhog
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:44 pm

It's Bill Murray's birthday today.

WELL SAY 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILL' THEN!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 pm

I wanna hear him call Boris Karloff a cocksucker...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion