The Haley Joel Osment Thread!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby MattXFLexicon on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 am

Well, I thought I'd stick my neck out here and give a head's up to an interview that might interest some people here.

A very in-depth and dense interview was conducted by this webmaster of a number of Haley Joel Osment tribute sites. There’s a couple of interesting comments about Haley Osment’s insights on Spielberg. M. Night Shyamalan and Tim McCanlies are briefly mentioned. All three parts are interesting. HJO really reminds me of Elijah Wood in certain ways.

http://www.homeofthegiants.com/haleyjoelosmentINTERVIEW.htm

Now, I realize that Daniel’s interview might seem a little fawning, but I have to give her a lot of credit of being such a champion for Osment, considering he’s been out of the limelight for the last couple of years. She’s put together a couple of very good sites, she seems like a decent person based on my past correspondence with her.

I’ve been on record for a number of years of not understanding some people’s negative opinions about Osment, I just don’t get it, but to each his own. Now, I can understand better the negative attitude about Dakota Fanning in recent years. I can even understand if people haven’t liked his last couple of films, but what’s this guy’s done to trigger the negative attitude? The impression I’m left with is, he’s a decent guy, confident yet humble, sincere, very inteligent, but doesn't seem condensending. and I don’t get any vibe that he has a sense of entitlement over his status.

Besides, anyone that could cite as their favorite films Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth, and praise those directors so highly is good in my book.

I still have a hunch that Haley Osment might be the next heavyweight adult character actor in the next couple of years, or I should say he has that’s potential. Just depends on his choices. If he can make that transition as an adult actor.

I’m a little on the fence if Home of the Giants will be any good, it simply plays, based on my impression, like a high school sports melodrama. Now, the next film Osment signed on for is the one people might want to pay attention to, this looks promising. Truth and Treason. Max Von Sydow has signed on as WWII Nazi hunting this 16-year old German who was speaking out against Hitler.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0880494/

http://www.truthandtreason.com/

Here’s a little more about Helmuth Hubener, not my writing.

Helmuth Hübener (8 January 1925 in Hamburg – 27 October 1942 in Berlin) was the youngest opponent of the Third Reich to be sentenced to death by the Volksgerichtshof and executed.

Helmuth Hübener was once a Boy Scout, but after the organization was suppressed by the Nazis, he belonged to the Hitler Youth, although he was not always comfortable with its drilling, nor did he find Kristallnacht to his liking. When the church congregation to which he belonged undertook to bar Jews from its religious services, Hübener found himself repelled by the new policy.

Helmuth Hübener, flanked by Rudolf Wobbe (left) and Karl-Heinz SchnibbeAfter Hübener finished middle school in 1941, he began an apprenticeship in administration at the Hamburg Social Authority (Sozialbehörde). He met other apprentices there, some of them with a communist family background, and they got him listening to enemy radio broadcasts, which was strictly forbidden in Nazi Germany, being considered a form of treason. In the summer of that same year, Hübener began listening to the BBC by himself, and used what he had heard to compose various anti-fascist texts and anti-war leaflets, of which he also made many copies. The leaflets were designed to bring to people's attention how skewed the official reports about the war from Berlin were, and also to point out Adolf Hitler's, Joseph Goebbels's, and other leading Nazis' criminal behaviour. Other themes covered by Hübener's writings were the war's futility, and Germany's looming defeat. He even mentioned the mistreatment sometimes meted out in the Hitler Youth.

In early February 1942, Helmuth Hübener was arrested by the Gestapo at his workplace at the Hamburger Bieberhaus. While trying to translate the pamphlets into French, and trying to have them distributed among prisoners of war, he had been noticed by a Party member, Heinrich Mohn, who had denounced him. (Mohn was jailed after the war, but freed by the Bundesgerichtshof by the early 1950s).

On 11 August 1942, Hübener's case was tried at the Volksgerichtshof in Berlin, and on 27 October, at the age of 17, he was beheaded at Plötzensee Prison in Berlin. His two friends, Schnibbe and Wobbe, who had also been arrested, were given lengthy prison sentences of 5 and 10 years respectively.

Haley Osment did another WWII drama in 2000 titled Edges of the Lord, R-rated, co-starring Willem Dafoe, that Miramax bought the distribution rights to, than sat on it, went straight to DVD. It tacked another in-frequently looked at topic of Jewish Children being taken in by Catholic family’s to be spared from the Nazi’s. Recommend for people who are into WWII subjects.

Pardon the length.
[/i][/url]
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:26 am

I thought he was the bomb in A.I.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:43 am

He rocked the fucking house in Forrest Gump!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:47 am

I'm moreso wondering about what'll happen when "Kingdom Hearts 3" rolls around...I'm not sure if he'll be able to play Sora by the time recording for the English-language version comes out...

I do enjoy the work of his sister Emily. :)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:53 am

Have some cake, the cake is good, the cake understands.

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:59 am

I hadn't seen H-JO in a while, so I just idbm'ed him to look for a recent picture.

Hmmm, wierd looking.

Just saying...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 am

They just did a re-run of Walker Texas Ranger on USA where he was a son of a drug addict and he was dying of AIDS.

Riveting stuff.

Chuck Norris is the MAN.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 am

I remember that episode... best part was when Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked the AIDS outta the kid.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:16 am

Loved him in Home Alone.

Oh, whoops.

Dude looks weird grown up.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:53 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I remember that episode... best part was when Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked the AIDS outta the kid.

still the only known cure.

*side effects include dizziness, nausea, size 10 heel print on head, retrograde and/or anterograde amnesia.

Not recommended for those over 65, those with a history of concussions, and people with good taste*
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:24 pm

Fievel wrote:Dude looks weird grown up.

Actually, he kind of looks a little like a young Kurt Russell.

To me, anyway.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Return to Actor Discussion