Brad Pitt: Good-Ass Actor or Good Ass, Actor?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Brad Pitt: Good-Ass Actor or Good Ass, Actor?

Excellent
36%
Good
43%
OK
11%
Not so great
7%
Sucks big time
4%
Kong (anyone remember that joke?)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Apparently I'm fit for the kid's course!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nordling on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Actually, Pitt was excellent in TROY. He played Achilles like a rock star. Those other films you list, he's not bad in those either. He's not phenomenal, but he's not phoning them in.

I hate LEGENDS OF THE FALL with a passion though. It's a goddamn Harlequin with Fabio on the cover.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah I agree, he was OK to good to a bit crappy in the films listed. Good point about the Rock Star thing in Troy too.

Spoilers.

Bastad killed Hector!!!!

PLUS - I SWEAR he had bigger tits than any of the chicks in that movie!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Nordling wrote:Actually, Pitt was excellent in TROY. He played Achilles like a rock star.

Maui
WoWie

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
papalazeru wrote:He's a bit of a bad 'luvvy'. He seems to have claimed fame from 'half acting' rather than someone like River Phoenix, who was pure brilliance. River was like a Kurt Cobain who peaked far to early and left room for idiots like Di Caprio.

You can't judge one actor's whole career over a decade + versus another actor's short-lived one.

River Phoenix never got the chance to accept suckier roles etc (see: Joichim Phoenix).

I dunno. In his shorter span, Phoenix still crammed more emotion, sympathy and down right sensitivity and prospect than Pitt has done in his time thus far.

Sometimes with an actor you can just tell straight away, or if not, within a certain amount of movies. Phoenix proved himself many movies in, such as Running on Empty even, Sidney Lumet or no Sidney Lumet. Brad Pitt after all this time, I'm still on the fence at best. Again, that old saying quality vs quantity, but more importantly, this is all about acting, and so much of that is instinct and feeling. I got more positive vibes from Phoenix that I ever did about Pitt in the same time span.

On the real heavy dramatic scenes, Phoenix was always a natural to me, Pitt was always forced.

Yes, it would've been interesting to see how Phoenix's career would've panned out had he lived. I've only seen him in about 4 films or so and he was pretty affecting in all of them especially Stand By Me and most definitely in My Own Private Idaho. He seems to me to be the precursor to actors like De Caprio and the like - but not Pitt, who maybe is from the Tom Cruise school of acting. That's not a put down but rather there doesn't seem a naturalised talent there. Like Cruise, you can see Pitt's technique at work as he acts on screen; it doesn't seem wholly convincing to me or truthful. It's not that he's bad or even inadequate (infact, both him and Cruise have pulled out some half decent performances); it's just that they're both not instinctive performers in my book. They seem to try too hard at times and it shows.
That said, Pitt's choice of roles are at least a sign of a super-A-list star who's willing to stretch his talent are far as he's able. Which is not a bad thing, I guess.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:43 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
papalazeru wrote:He's a bit of a bad 'luvvy'. He seems to have claimed fame from 'half acting' rather than someone like River Phoenix, who was pure brilliance. River was like a Kurt Cobain who peaked far to early and left room for idiots like Di Caprio.

You can't judge one actor's whole career over a decade + versus another actor's short-lived one.

River Phoenix never got the chance to accept suckier roles etc (see: Joichim Phoenix).

I dunno. In his shorter span, Phoenix still crammed more emotion, sympathy and down right sensitivity and prospect than Pitt has done in his time thus far.

Sometimes with an actor you can just tell straight away, or if not, within a certain amount of movies. Phoenix proved himself many movies in, such as Running on Empty even, Sidney Lumet or no Sidney Lumet. Brad Pitt after all this time, I'm still on the fence at best. Again, that old saying quality vs quantity, but more importantly, this is all about acting, and so much of that is instinct and feeling. I got more positive vibes from Phoenix that I ever did about Pitt in the same time span.

On the real heavy dramatic scenes, Phoenix was always a natural to me, Pitt was always forced.

Yes, it would've been interesting to see how Phoenix's career would've panned out had he lived. I've only seen him in about 4 films or so and he was pretty affecting in all of them especially Stand By Me and most definitely in My Own Private Idaho. He seems to me to be the precursor to actors like De Caprio and the like - but not Pitt, who maybe is from the Tom Cruise school of acting. That's not a put down but rather there doesn't seem a naturalised talent there. Like Cruise, you can see Pitt's technique at work as he acts on screen; it doesn't seem wholly convincing to me or truthful. It's not that he's bad or even inadequate (infact, both him and Cruise have pulled out some half decent performances); it's just that they're both not instinctive performers in my book. They seem to try too hard at times and it shows.
That said, Pitt's choice of roles are at least a sign of a super-A-list star who's willing to stretch his talent are far as he's able. Which is not a bad thing, I guess.

Here here!!

Though to tell the truth, you know what? I actually prefer Cruise over Pitt. Say what you want about the guy, but Tom Cruise can be piercing and intense at times, or when he really wants to be. I get more emotion from that guy than I EVER have had from Pitt. At least Cruise can move me when he wants to. Pitt just makes my eyes role when he tries to do a crying scene for example.

Remember that story or rumour that was going about that Brad was approached to replace Tom in the next Mission Impossible movie? Think about it. Who would you really prefer to see carrying that movie?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Remember that story or rumour that was going about that Brad was approached to replace Tom in the next Mission Impossible movie? Think about it. Who would you really prefer to see carrying that movie?

Pitt. No question.
In the MI movies, Cruise is in full egomaniac star mode, and I find his "look-at-me-aren't-I great" performances practically unwatchable. The scene in the first one where he's trying to do a magic trick with a floppy disc makes me cringe.

Pitt, I think, would approach the role with a bit more humility. He wouldn't go over-the-top as much, but he shouldn't need to.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Then all the Squirrel's of Central Park - SHAAALL DIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Then all the Squirrel's of Central Park - SHAAALL DIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And be turned into your 2pays?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:00 pm

minstrel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Then all the Squirrel's of Central Park - SHAAALL DIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And be turned into your 2pays?

HAHHAA!!!!

Damn straight!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What's an iHOP?

:shock: My throat just seized up. You poor, poor non-American to have never experienced the wonders of an IHOP. Where on earth do you go before/during/after binge-drinking?

Sorry. I realize I just resurrected the Brad Pitt thread to comment on IHOP. And so I say, Brad Pitt- well done, sir. you're hot so i'll forget the "joe blacks" and the "seven years in tibets..es" and the very worst in terms of performance imo- "the devil's own." i don't know. it seems odd to me that an actor could be so hit and miss. i'm gonna go with the theory that brad follows the "one for me, one for them" mentality but because he's a cool dude he's like, "fuck it if i have to do one for them i'm gonna underact my ass off and deliver stiff lines and stiffer facial expressions....studio kunts.....oh god i'm such a whore..."
or something like that.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby MacCready on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Christ, you sounded just like Brian Cox when you said that......
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 pm

MacCready wrote:

Er.. yeah! Part of the intention. BUT - funnily enough, not part of the intention was to link back to another Brad Pitt movie, Troy! Wow! See what I did there?

Brad Pitt is a Tit, Richard Gere is a.....????
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MacCready on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
MacCready wrote:

Er.. yeah! Part of the intention. BUT - funnily enough, not part of the intention was to link back to another Brad Pitt movie, Troy! Wow! See what I did there?

Brad Pitt is a Tit, Richard Gere is a.....????

I thought you did all of that on purpose,
you shifty minx.....
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:39 pm

Did anyone see that movie 'Cutting Class'? This wasn't one of Pitt's finer moments.

However, all actors have to have their crappy movies - like Clooney in 'The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'.
Maui
WoWie

Re: Brad Pitt: Good-Ass Actor or Good Ass, Actor?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 am

I don't know how I feel about Brad Pitt as an actor but one of the things I like about Brad Pitt as a celebrity is the clout he brings to good directors. He's a self-professed "auteur whore" and his good taste has helped put filmmakers on the map: Guy Ritchie, Andrew Dominik, Inarritu, maybe even David Fincher, although their careers are sort of linked. Right now he's starring in a movie for Steve McQueen (Hunger, Shame) about a slave trader, and since I like McQueen I'm looking forward to seeing a higher-profile movie from him.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 am

Maui wrote:Did anyone see that movie 'Cutting Class'? This wasn't one of Pitt's finer moments.

However, all actors have to have their crappy movies - like Clooney in 'The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'.

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!

Oh, PItt's had some stinkers though, The Devils own was awful, and let's not forget Mr and Mrs Smith, another floor scraper with little effort put in.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm

This is some baffling shit, yo. Possibly a trailer for TREE OF LIFE 2.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:31 am

I recently watched two Brad Pitt flicks, World War Z and Fury. Neither was good in my opinion, but I don't think it was Pitt's fault. Well, I guess since he was the driving factor behind WWZ it WAS his fault, but it wasn't a bad movie because of his acting. Fury was a disapointment to me, I like WWII movies alot, just didn't resonate with me. But again, not because of Pitt.
That said, I wonder how much slack I give him because he's an attractive guy with a ton of charisma. Kinda like the slack I may give hot girls who are trying to sell me shit at the mall ("no, I don't really need a 16oz bottle of Drakkar Noir, but since you look like a Victoria's Secret model, I'll take two!").
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Brad Pitt Goes Full Brad Pitt In The First Trailer For Netflix’s WAR MACHINE
Almost, but not quite, peak Pitt.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm

I think he's one of the best actors working today, he is the kind of actor who makes anything he is in watchable

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm in this. So watch it. That's all the profit information this film needs to give out.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Watching Brad Pitt slowly age is a depressing reminder of my own mortality.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:00 am

Ribbons wrote:Watching Brad Pitt slowly age is a depressing reminder of my own mortality.

then go watch The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to cheer yourself up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion