Brad Pitt: Good-Ass Actor or Good Ass, Actor?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Excellent
36%
Good
43%
OK
11%
Not so great
7%
Sucks big time
4%
Kong (anyone remember that joke?)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Nordling wrote:Brad Pitt is one of the finest actors of his generation, actually. He's amazing in THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD.

IPAMP!

I swear to Jeebus, I've been monitoring this thread, knowing full well you'd show up!

and you are absolutely correct: Brad Pitt is an excellent actor, that may actual be percieved as less because of his good looks.

Call it the Reverse-Buscemi Effect...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Well each to their own. I keep thinking of how many better more convincing actors of Pitt's generation are out there, yet to be discovered or to be more recognised that have far more heavyweight capability than Pitt. If he can get away with it, god knows how many more could too, or do even better.

But anyway, each to their own tastes.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nordling on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Have you even seen TAOJJBTCRF?
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm

We should start a Brad Pitt thread.

A River Runs Through It Winslows...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:57 pm

so sorry wrote:We should start a Brad Pitt thread.

A River Runs Through It Winslows...

Good call, and in addition to some of the films listed above, he should also get obvious props for Fight Club, and perhaps less obviously, for his bit part in True Romance!!!

I will also throw some props his way for Spy Game, b1tch3s!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Nordling wrote:Have you even seen TAOJJBTCRF?

No not yet. From what I've seen of him thus far though, that gripping, intoxicating and totally mesmerizing effect that a real heavyweight, majestic performance can give me, I've yet to have experienced in Pitt. Yes he's done some excellent stuff, but it's never been on that level of 'serious' emotional aplomb or heavy presence. I've never been really rivetted by him in anything that he's done, wether it be in his stillness or in the way that he'd throw a look or utter a line. He failed all that in Troy.

BUT - I always give the guy the benefit of the doubt and I will with the new Henry Ford movie that he's in. I look forward to him showing me stuff that I've never seen him made out of yet. If there is stuff there that I've not yet experienced of him or if it's a 'revelationary' performance of some kind, well then I'm up for it and I very well likely might be persuaded on him.

Let's see if he changes my mind. I'll let you know!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Let's not forget Thelma and Louise.
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Maui wrote:Let's not forget Thelma and Louise.

Or Cool World...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:30 pm

Johnny Suede PWNs t3h suk!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:31 pm

I think Brad Pitt is terrific when he plays a neurotic crazy person, as in Fight Club and 12Monkeys. But kind of beautoxed when has to play the emotional parts. I didn't like him that much in Babel, for instance.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I think Brad Pitt is terrific when he plays a neurotic crazy person, as in Fight Club and 12Monkeys. But kind of beautoxed when has to play the emotional parts. I didn't like him that much in Babel, for instance.

Fight Club I still have to see. I have only seen a tiny bit of it. The scene where Norton's character meet's Pitt's character on the plane. Pitt seemed rather good in just that tiny scene.

Really? I thought he was great in Babel. Again, I didn't think he could pull off the emotional scene(s), but he really did, imo.

I still don't put Pitt in my top 5 actors - but he's not at the bottom of the list with Ali McGraw either.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Summed up a lot of my own sentiments there, D.

I mean, when I watch Mr and Mrs Smith with Pitt and Angelina Jolie, it's pretty much obvious who the actual actor is there out of them 2.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Maui wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I think Brad Pitt is terrific when he plays a neurotic crazy person, as in Fight Club and 12Monkeys. But kind of beautoxed when has to play the emotional parts. I didn't like him that much in Babel, for instance.

Fight Club I still have to see. I have only seen a tiny bit of it. The scene where Norton's character meet's Pitt's character on the plane. Pitt seemed rather good in just that tiny scene.

Really? I thought he was great in Babel. Again, I didn't think he could pull off the emotional scene(s), but he really did, imo.

I still don't put Pitt in my top 5 actors - but he's not at the bottom of the list with Ali McGraw either.

Co-sign... um, Fight Club is awesome, and I hate to say this, but it IS a "guy" movie. As the title implies, there's fighting... and it is of the fist variety. One does, however, get to see Brad shirtless a lot, and his follow-me lines are t3h h0tn3ss!!! :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Interview with the Vampire!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Co-sign... um, Fight Club is awesome, and I hate to say this, but it IS a "guy" movie. As the title implies, there's fighting... and it is of the fist variety. One does, however, get to see Brad shirtless a lot, and his follow-me lines are t3h h0tn3ss!!! :)

Ok, that's enough for me Pacino!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Use this one!!!

so sorry, you're still the boss too!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:I think he's dreamy

but that is what you say about Kirk, too

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 pm

In all seriousness, I really like a lot of what he's done. And like any actor that's been around for a while, he's made some stinkers (Meet Joe Black, I'm looking at you).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 pm

He's Ok to great. Yet to see real brilliant though.

I think we should backtrack a little here and put some of the Se7en thread split off into this. What say you So Sorry or a Mod? I think it would be great to have our past posts in here to help get it started.

Ah, the new ADMIN takes Kirk advice. Soon he'll be taking.... MY ORDERS!!!!!!!!!

Starting with... A Xenia Onatopp thigh, leg, breast, tongue and venom, plus a bit of Brad Pitt heavyweight champion of the world on the side, please. Can't do the last bit?

Thought not.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 pm

He's a good actor. A very good actor, actually, in my opinion. I think most of the guys who slag him do it because the chicks dig him.

He's made interesting choices and has never been scared off by a challenging or different role. He coulda been action/romantic comedy/romantic drama guy his whole career and made kajillions, but he has actually done a wide variety of work (and still made kajillions). I respect that.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Nordling wrote:Have you even seen TAOJJBTCRF?

There's a hiccup in here. No hiccup - spinoff thread.
Last edited by Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Kirk, this IS a split-off from the Se7en thread... so sorry, so sorry. :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:47 pm

OMG I'M SO CONFUSED!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Summed up a lot of my own sentiments there, D.

I mean, when I watch Mr and Mrs Smith with Pitt and Angelina Jolie, it's pretty much obvious who the actual actor is there out of them 2.

I didn't see the Smiths - but I think the problem with Pitt is maybe really just that he can't move his facial muscles. For that matter- can Jolie, really, nowadays?

To me, they're two guppies in the hollywood bowl.

I do like Pitt's energy his 'action'-films though. And he's brilliant in Fight Club- especially together with Norton.

Is this now a Brad Pitt thread?

EDIT: Wow -I'm slow! :shock:
Last edited by Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Zarles on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Maui wrote:Fight Club I still have to see.

What what WHAT?! :shock:

One of the most perfect movies ever. I don't care if it's watered-down from the book. At all. The book's the book, and the movie's the movie. Just finished watching it again while cleaning my nasty-ass house, and yet again I was blown away by how seamless it all is.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Zarles wrote:

Yeah I know. It's in my movie queue. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:53 pm

I think he was great in the Ocean's movies too. The second was probably my favorite as far as his character. He's just so cool!!!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:

Yeah I know. It's in my movie queue. :roll:

*le sigh*
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:55 pm

I guess my vote would be closer to GOOD then OK.

I have rather enjoyed some of his stuff. I just can't put him in that excellent/exceptional bucket of actors.

He's better than Tom Cruise but he's not as good as Tommy Lee Jones or Anthony Hopkins.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm

godzillasushi wrote:I think he was great in the Ocean's movies too. The second was probably my favorite as far as his character. He's just so cool!!!

sushi watches Fight Club for Pitt's follow me lines :wink:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Maui wrote:I guess my vote would be closer to GOOD then OK.

I have rather enjoyed some of his stuff. I just can't put him in that excellent/exceptional bucket of actors.

He's better than Tom Cruise but he's not as good as Tommy Lee Jones or Anthony Hopkins.

Hopkins hasnt really done anything great lately. Hes sort of a been there done that thing now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:I think he was great in the Ocean's movies too. The second was probably my favorite as far as his character. He's just so cool!!!

I just thought the Ocean movies were a bunch of actor friends playing themselves having a good time, just being cool.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Hopkins hasnt really done anything great lately. Hes sort of a been there done that thing now.

That's not the point. We are talking acting ability - not what they have or haven't done lately.

;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I just thought the Ocean movies were a bunch of actor friends playing themselves having a good time, just being cool.

The original, even moreso...

EDIT: Speaking of which...http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=502264#502264
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:01 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

That's not the point. We are talking acting ability - not what they have or haven't done lately.

;)

I know I know.

Pitt can have some really good moments, but a lot of times I just can't help but think of him the person and not him as the character.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Hopkins hasnt really done anything great lately. Hes sort of a been there done that thing now.

I liked him heaps in Hearts of Atlantis... but I guess that's a while ago now. And there's nothing wrong with his acting in All the King's men either -even though the movie is complete bollocks.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Hehe, well, what can I say!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:nothing wrong with his acting in All the King's men either

that says it all
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:04 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Hehe, well, what can I say!

what can ya do eh?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby pheadx on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:05 pm

i think brad pitt is a good and lucky actor, but not a great one. similar to tom cruise, has always is the focus of a scene just because of his appearence, but he never felt like a real character.
pheadx
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

But the details are nice. Brad Pitt always eating on the move. The way he talks. They really are friends acting together, but they are still doing little things for their characters to come to life.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:05 pm

See? A lot of the positivity I hear about Pitt is among the 'well he's great cos he didn't do this bad thing or didn't do this bad role or become cast in this bad way blah blah...', the whole well he's not THAT bad or unlikeable an actor as he didn't do this or that... and frankly dudes, that ain't enough. That's just credit to him not being crap, that just credits him to a level of...... well not the word 'mediocritry' - but to him being merely 'good' in my point of view. You know, OK, he rose above him being an actor that we could frown upon, but a brilliant an actor that don't make him. Not on it's own anyway.

Which makes me wonder, what are we trying to decide on with this thread? The title and original poll of So Sorry's thread only went as high as rating Pitt as a 'GOOD' or 'great' actor. Does that say something to how we REALLY think of him? Or has someone forgotten to make this thread reach higher? I doubt if Brad Pitt saw this thread, he'd be that much impressed.

Anyway, taking me back, I don't think he's a brilliant actor. He's not one of the current greats, I don't think he's the best actor of his generation by a mile (not meaning to attack or deliberatley disagree with Nordling here, just that it helps me put him in my relative perspective is all), I've seen many other actors, famous, known, or otherwise, wether in their 40s or older or younger, entrap me with their performance more than this guy has.

His turn in Troy was a failure for me. It didn't reach the dramatic heights that we needed for the guy. A lot of the time it LOOKED like he was trying to put on the emotions, too much of a force, not enough effortlessness - and an actor that doesn't look like he's acting or pushing himself shows what a GOOD performance is, let alone a BRILLIANT one. Him fuming and breathing heavy when he shouts out HECTOOORRR is just not genuine enough for me. It shows his method to me. I just get the impression that he's pumped himself up for the scene beforehand or that he's using that 'Breath hard for emotion and anger' technique. Heck I've done that before in some limited acting I've done and I can SEE the method there just as much as me on a bad performance might give, and I ain't just saying all of this 'cos I've got similar experience in such an emotional scene, the 'actingness' of him at the Troy Gates is still on show to me without this.

Again, I'm looking for the natural heaviness, the staggering emotional might of an actor in him, and I just haven't seen it yet. I'm not aiming for some of my favourites here, Anthony Hopkins or Morgan Freeman who rule the Kingdom of such acting here, but I'm looking for more intoxication from Pitt. I've seen this in the likes of Matt Damon who Pitt's been compared to, but I've yet to get it from Brad.

For the record though, he's some roles which I think he's been excellent in, but this only takes up 1/2 the credit that I want from the guy.....

Snatch
12 Monkeys
Fight Club (though Ed Norton doing a lot less than Pitt, still steals my attention to him)
Se7en
Thelma and Louise
True Romans

See? Not enough.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:10 pm

see i thought he was believable in Babel, too, and it was some difficult stuff to pull off.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:nothing wrong with his acting in All the King's men either

that says it all

Hm... I haven't seen any other of his more recent ones, so I can't really dispute your theory. But I'll bet he still some has some old-man-juice left in him.

... urgh- old-man-juice.. that sounded icky.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:11 pm

godzillasushi wrote:but they are still doing little things for their characters to come to life.

They are? ;)

btw, did you see the Delorean pics in the Photo Album? They were for YOU, u know!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby pheadx on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:25 pm

he's like Britney Spears or Madonna. If he's got a good director or producer, he's ace. but when he's all on his own, he doesn't do much
pheadx
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:28 pm

If I told you to check out The World's Fastest Indian for top school Anthony Hopkins being fresh and being the CHARACTER himself more than Hopkins has been of late, would it help, D E?

Speaking of which, I watched Meet Joe Black again on Sunday, simply for a bang on sharp, focused and plugged into the mains Anthony Hopkins performance. The rest of the film really challenged me to stay on the film though, and a lot of that is Brad Pitt too.

OK, it's a HARD role to play, there is off direction 'Direction' there, but still, Brad Pitt, whoever's fault it was there, and even though I find it hard to see what he was trying to do, on my best day of seeing through the vagueness of the performance, he still isn't entrapping me there. Again, there's a lot of blandness in his face, good looks and blonde hair or no good looks and blonde hair, but again even though he's giving a murky or even cloudy performance, there's still room to make a viewer rivetted, fascinated, totally sucked in and on the edge of your seat as you sit there trying to work out what's going on in this guy's head. Yes I DO get that here with Pitt - but again, only up to a short extent. Once more, nowhere near enough to the potential of effect that this role could have on a viewer.

EDIT. Thanks for making the poll go higher.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:34 pm

Maui wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:but they are still doing little things for their characters to come to life.

They are? ;)

btw, did you see the Delorean pics in the Photo Album? They were for YOU, u know!!!

No, I can't view pics here at work :oops: :oops: :oops:

I will check when I get home. You're awesome!!!!!! :D
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Kong (anyone remember that joke?)

I do!

Unfortunately. :oops:
Lord Voldemoo

Next