The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Re: The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Postby tapehead on Wed May 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Oh I get it - you're not saying he's overrated; you're saying he's a an understated performer capable of great subtlety and nuance. In that case I agree.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed May 18, 2011 10:41 pm

SilentScream wrote:SHHHHHHEAN CONNERY.
Fuck, is this guy a ONE TRICK PONY. Takes himself far tooooo seriously and, better still, think's he's a good actor. Yes, The Hill, The Offence were decent performances but that's your lot, kiddos. James Bond is a surface character and nothing more and in most other things I've seen him in he's just....well.....plain ordinary with his accent becoming a progressive caricature of himself.
Thank fuck wiggy has finally retired.

No love for Robin and Marian,The Man Who Would Be King,or The Untouchables?

Also,in The Longest Day he was able to utter the words "It takes an Irishman to play the pipes." without swallowing his tongue or committing seppuku on the spot.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm glad you mentioned The Man Who Would Be King, that movie is amazing
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby SilentScream on Thu May 19, 2011 8:21 am

Michael Caine blew Connery off the screen in that flick. As for The Untouchables, please don't even go there. Connery was all over the place, or at least his accent was. And the movie, by and large, was forgettable anyhow.

And I do agree with Capt. Kirk about Nicholson to a degree. There is too much ham and mugging for my liking in a lot of performances and bar The Pledge and About Schmidt most of his stuff in recent years is risible. But Nicholson in the 70's was on a roll. Cuckoo's Nest, of course, but I watched Five Easy Pieces and Chinatown and there was truly good, refined and eloquent acting there. I believed his characters, his portrayals, the subtle nuances he brought to them. But, yes, he started to fuck up later on, became Jack the Lad, Jack the Joker, Jack the Shagger and things went tits up for him. Did I like him in The Departed? On the whole, no. It smacked of lazy, undisciplined acting to me coupled with his trademark and obligatory attempts at scene stealing. There's just no vivacity to Nicholson anymore, just a stupid reliance on reputation. And that's a pity. He did have it once.

I'm not a great fan of Tom Hanks either. Again, he's decent enough and in Philadelphia and Big was pretty effective. But, I don't know, he comes across as too leisurely for me, too lightweight. There's a nice blandness to his acting that leaves me underwhelmed. I thought him miscast in Saving Private Ryan and Road To Perdition. He cannot play men of doubt or men of danger. But I did enjoy him immensely in Big. Comedy is definitely his best genre.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I think Kevin, I'm always the same, Spacey was overrated from day one.

So... fist thing I saw him in was Henry and June, and I was way too caught up in the sex scenes involving Uma Thurman and Maria de Medeiros to pay much attention. From then - his weasley office manager in Glengarry Glen Ross? Or Verbal Klint/Keyser Soze in the Usual Suspects? Or his next role of note, the dead-eyed slow-moving psychopath in Seven? He must have been overrated in one of these, because the next things that comes to mind is LA Confidential or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil... and then we're up to American Beauty. I think you might have grounds to claim Spacey is overrated once he started turning up and hamming it up in stuff like KPax or or Pay it Fucking Forward, but that opening run of film roles for him was pretty fucking golden, so it's just wrong to say that he was 'overrated from day one', and you know it Kirks, so admit it, go on say it, say that you were wrong and that you're sorry. Kevin Spacey's not overrated, you're overrated.

Hahahahaa!! You know all this time was writing about Jack Nicholson and thinking "what would tapehead think of what I'm saying? Would he agree or call me out on this?" Hahaha!! Brilliant. And I was also choosing my words carefully as I could feel you looking over my shoulder as I wrote this.

Imagine my surprise, my total SHOCK, when all that time, you was writing alongside me here, to derail me, to DESTROY ME, as I destroyed your haircut with my Ellen Page comparisons to you.

Sigh, OK, well I've been drinking as I gotta get up early for, guess what? An acting class tomorrow, so I won't say much here, but maybe later. But for now, yeah, from the first time I saw Kevin Spacey in Glengary onwards (which I never thought was much more than one of the major standout performances in that film), I never found his performances to be that diverse or mind blowing. Yeah he's great, he's got a great delivery that can be intimidating and scary, but I just would rate him as high as an actor like Pacino in terms of his overall effect, as I just FEEL that people's praise of Spacey's is putting him on the same pedestal as, even if they're not rating him as highly. From a personal pov, I just don't feel that Spacey's up there so high as I feel that people rate him to be.

He's a bit plain, he plays the same mannerisms, character, voice, delivery, fucking haircut, far too often, that's all. Yeah, he might be more tighter and more focused in his days of American Beauty or Se7en compared to K-Pax or pay it Forward. For me, it's not enough. Same guy.

Don't get me started on the biggest culprit of overratedness that is mostly responsible for why I'm here and running for President with my accusation in the first place - A fucking Oscar for The Usual Suspects?!?!? What piece of great, exceptional acting did he do in that film that was much more emotionally demanding than any other supporting performance that year? He sat in a chair and talked. Not like he had to kill himself in stretching his emotions or doing any piece of acting that we'd think would be physically damaging or exhausting. He just played a guy who might not be all he appeared to be. Man, all that was in the script! I don't think that what he did in that performance was enough to justify an Oscar, let alone a darn nomination. I was surprised when he was nominated.

As my mate said, who is more into films than me, "All Spacey did was limp, and change his wrist at the end". Good acting? Yes? Hardly demanding or gruelling ala Shakespeare or Raging Bull though. Somewhere in a great Burger King in the sky, Marlon Brando is laughing.

At YOU, tapehead. At YO!u Damn you caps lock for not co-operating properly.

tapehead wrote:Oh I get it - you're not saying he's overrated; you're saying he's a an understated performer capable of great subtlety and nuance. In that case I agree.

OH YEAH?!?! WELL HE'S ONE SHIT ACTING TEACHER I TELL YA THAT!!!!!!!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm

SilentScream wrote:I'm not a great fan of Tom Hanks either. Again, he's decent enough and in Philadelphia and Big was pretty effective. But, I don't know, he comes across as too leisurely for me, too lightweight. There's a nice blandness to his acting that leaves me underwhelmed. I thought him miscast in Saving Private Ryan and Road To Perdition. He cannot play men of doubt or men of danger. But I did enjoy him immensely in Big. Comedy is definitely his best genre.

I like Hanks. I especially liked him in Road To Perdition, which is one of my favorite movies of the past ten years. He isn't supposed to be a "man of danger" - he's just a family man who happens to have an awful job. I think it would have lessened his performance if he tried to do an Eastwood/Bronson/Marvin (pick your favorite badass) type of performance - that's not Michael Sullivan's character. He spends most of the movie trying to be a good father to his remaining son as he carries out his plan of revenge - that's a tough job. I think Hanks played the part very well, and I'd like to see him do more of that kind of work. He shouldn't limit himself to comedies.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 pm

you guys have got me wanting to watch Road to Perdition again, loved that movie. Minstrel, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Tom Hanks wining an Oscar for Philidelphia was a bit of a big "what the?!?!"

As for Road To Perdition, Tom Hanks does get some menace across the screen, particularly in his quiet moments when it relies on just the eyes. I think when he has to shout angry, like 'WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!?!?" when Daniel Craig shot that guy that started the destructive spiral, Hanks loses that scariness and sounds the same as if he was doing comedy.

I'll give him his dues in Saving Private Ryan thought, possibly my fave thing he's done. It's those teeny weeny little exact hits he gets, those real small, hard to find targets in your emotions that trigger off big reactions from you, like only a needle Struggling Background Artist can evoke.

The snapping look he gives when he says to his squad "Our mission is to win the war" when they don't want to raid that bunker but go around instead. The admitted terror that shows in that side angle of his face when he's giving them orders just before they begin to run for that bunker.

But it's at the end as he does his death scene. That scene is FULL of little tiny bits of cunning and acute acting that just set off the floodgates (if you're not a man and you DO cry at films). It's like Tom Hanks just KNOWS what little things he can do to make you cry. The silent muttering he makes to Ryan so he has to come closer to hear what Miller is saying, the yearning look he does with his teeth as he says "Eeearrnnn this!" The little blinking of his eyes just before the life leaves his body and he does actually die. Then that downward looking, depressive, despairing look he has in his eyes even when he does sit there dead, it's all so effective and calculated. He must have a deliberate plan what he's doing to the audience, as it gets such a monumental response. That's Accuracy in acting.

... Kevin Spacey never topped that, tapehead! Nyuuhh!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Tom Hanks? meh, I can take him or leave him. Now Tom Hardy, there's a goddamn Thespian! Tom Wilkinson, there's your freaking AC-TOR! Marisa TOM-EI! NOW YOU'VE GOT A SHOW! (especially if Tomei is playing something saucy like a stripper)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby SilentScream on Fri May 20, 2011 11:57 am

Tom Hardy is a shit hot actor, love his stuff to bits. Like his near UK contemporaries, Ray Winstone and Paddy Considine, he never fails to deliver. Bronson was EPIIIC, the UK equivalent of Eric Bana in that mighty Aussie flick Chopper.

He's got lovely eyes too.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 pm

tapehead wrote:Tom Hanks? meh, I can take him or leave him. Now Tom Hardy, there's a goddamn Thespian! Tom Wilkinson, there's your freaking AC-TOR! Marisa TOM-EI! NOW YOU'VE GOT A SHOW! (especially if Tomei is playing something saucy like a stripper)

A wild TOM ARNOLD appears!
TOM ARNOLD uses insanity, it's super effective!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby SilentScream on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:58 am

Halle Berry - beautiful, yes - but let's face it she not up to much on the thespian front. One half decent performance that was laughably hyped and lauded beyond all reason and that's your lot. A good TV movie actress and nowt more.

And what about that blonde guy with the nobbly looking nose? Whatisface? Oh yeah, Owen Wilson. What a montone, one dimensional actor he is. Same half surprised, half stoned expression with a flat, emotionless one note tone to his voice. Shitness personified. Horrific.

One actor who I think is really coming into his own. Mark Ruffalo. Good actor him.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:24 am

For a long time I never ever understood the appeal of Owen Wilson. I was like "What him? Why?" His 'nice guy'ness was overplayed to the point of being obnoxious in Wedding Crashers, though the whole film was like that. But still.

These days I've kinda warmed to him a bit, but that's down to overkill and exposure a great deal. Yeah he's a likeable person on screen. But that alone don't make him worthy of the praise, talk and being the 'go to' guy for buddy/romantic/lead comedy roles that everyone seems to steam towards him for. Might as well get Gene Wilder.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Gene Wilder >> Owen Wilson. Don't even mention them in the same breath. Wilder made Young Frankenstein, which is a classic. Wilson made Marmaduke.
minstrel

Postby SilentScream on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:38 pm

You know what, I like Gene alot. Loved him in The Producers, Willy Wonka, Young Frankenstein. And given the chance he would probably've made a decent dramatic actor too. Has he ever been in a Woody Allen flick I wonder? Somehow, I think they would work well together.
Speaking of which.....never thought much of Alan Alda as a film actor. First class in MASH the TV series but pretty ordinary on the big screen. And his voice is slightly annoying too. Though I hear he's a good guy in real life.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Not sure why I mentioned gene Wilder in reference to Owen Wilson actually. Sometimes even I don't know what I'm talking about. I rate gene much higher than Owen. And I think Gene has done 1 or 2 great dramatic roles before.

While I'm there, proabably the wrong thread for it, and don't laugh but I'm sure that Danny De Vito and the late Bruno Kirby are capable/have done some good dramatic straight stuff before too. See that little scene in Sleepers in which Bruno kicks off as the dad of one of the kids that he's just been told has to go to prison, he's all screaming in anger but is well destroyed inside "I'VE DONE ENOUGH TIME - FOR EVERRYBODDYYY!!!"

I've seen echos of Devito mugging it up very straight and you can buy into him. Bits of Hoffa, that gutted look he has at the end of Terms of Endearment in the Shirley Maclaine's garden after her daughter passes. Wasn't he pretty good as a bad guy boss in that Gene Hackman movie, Heist or something?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I like Gene Wilder alright in the movies he was in....but come on, he played almost the same guy in each movie and while funny I wouldn't call him any kind of real "actor" and showed no more range or ability than Owen Wilson has in his work so far, and in fact, Wilson has more variety in his roles than Wilder ever had in his.

Hardy has been very good so far but I think people have begun to get ahead of themselves in proclaiming his greatness just yet, his body of work isn't all that big, so I would have to put him in the class of over-rated right now. let's see if he can even come close to doing with Bane what Ledger did with The Joker. I really hope he does, if he is able to fulfill the promise of his work so far he WILL BE one of the best actors working, and at that point all the praise lavished on him here will be 100% deserved....

I saw someone mention Ray Winstone as one of the top actors, and I have to disagree....... while I like the work he has done he needs to be cast in the right role since he really doesn't have all that much range from what I have seen. you could practically swap out the characters he played in Sexy Beast and The Proposition and not notice, for instance. he hasn't shown any more range or acting ability than Hanks, who has been much maligned in this thread, so if people are saying that he is among the best actors I would have to say that is over-rating him.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Wasn't he pretty good as a bad guy boss in that Gene Hackman movie, Heist or something?

Yes, it was Heist. He got to utter the immortal line "Everyone needs money. That's why they call it MONEY!" (That might not be verbatim, but it's something like that. David Mamet writes great dialogue.)
minstrel

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:18 pm

"Heist" was a shortstroke of a movie, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentScream on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:06 am

Peven wrote:I like Gene Wilder alright in the movies he was in....but come on, he played almost the same guy in each movie and while funny I wouldn't call him any kind of real "actor" and showed no more range or ability than Owen Wilson has in his work so far, and in fact, Wilson has more variety in his roles than Wilder ever had in his.

Hardy has been very good so far but I think people have begun to get ahead of themselves in proclaiming his greatness just yet, his body of work isn't all that big, so I would have to put him in the class of over-rated right now. let's see if he can even come close to doing with Bane what Ledger did with The Joker. I really hope he does, if he is able to fulfill the promise of his work so far he WILL BE one of the best actors working, and at that point all the praise lavished on him here will be 100% deserved....

I saw someone mention Ray Winstone as one of the top actors, and I have to disagree....... while I like the work he has done he needs to be cast in the right role since he really doesn't have all that much range from what I have seen. you could practically swap out the characters he played in Sexy Beast and The Proposition and not notice, for instance. he hasn't shown any more range or acting ability than Hanks, who has been much maligned in this thread, so if people are saying that he is among the best actors I would have to say that is over-rating him.

Owen Wilson better than Gene Wilder?
Puh-leese.
Wilder brings warmth, vunerability, top-notch comedic timing and even a tragic pathos to some of his roles (The Producers, Willy Wonka
) and, yes, while I can see the argument that he's never diversified much he still rates far better than Wilson because the latter basically sleepwalks his way through every flick I've seen him with that ah-shucks, zombiefied look of his (only matched by that flat, dreary voice that delivers lines like a stoned automaton). Terrible performer.

Tom Hardy in Bronson.
Tom Hardy in Stuart - A Life Backwards.
Tom Hardy in Wuthering Heights.
Tom Hardy in The Take.
Tom Hardy in Oliver Twist.
Enough said.

Ditto Ray Winstone. Have you seen Nil By Mouth, The War Zone, Sweeny Todd, Sexy Beast, Scum, Last Orders etc? Proof that the guy is indeed a diamond geezer as an actor and is in no way overrated.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

Ray Winstone from as far as I know, mostly played monsters, real tough bastards, really terrifying people you either didn't want to fuck with, or you hated so much that you just wanted to kill yourself.

I caught him in Ladybird, Ladybird, a brilliant but unpleasent film that surprisingly had me glued to the screen despite being so horrible what I had to watch. That's Ken Loach for ya, making genuinely ugly experiences on screen so 'enjoyable' to watch. Anyway, Winstone plays a husband who constantly beats the shit out of his wife, whenever he kicks off and screams the place down at her, you wonder if this is him acting so much as him simply being like this 100% in real life.

That he turns 180 and plays so well a puppy dog like character who is a timid weak victim to Don Logan in Sexy Beast, well whenever you watch both films you sit there thinking how on earth can this guy play anyone who is such a strong opposite to the character you see him being right there and then, he's that good at both.

So I guess there's a testimonial to how diverse and varied he can be.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Plus he's a dab hand at wild life; Mr Beaver in them Narnia Business movies, that big Lizard in Rango, and some kind of gormless manatee witha moustache in Indy and the Pompador monkees Vs. Precious Stone Aliens. Wait, no, he was complete shit in that movie, in fact he might actually have been replaced by a life-size cardboard cut-out in some of his scenes - the flesh eating ants put in a much better performance than he did. Check out his form on IMDB - for every Captain Stanley in The Proposition or Gal in Sexy Beast there's a Mr. French in the Departed where he does fuck all but drive Nicholson around, or whatshisface in the other really boring thing. I would wager that since we all first saw him in Nil By Mouth it's a fifty fifty bet each time he turns up whether he's going to act the shit out of something or turn up drunk, or asleep. Ray Winstone belongs in a different thread altogether, maybe along side Oliver Reed and Michael Caine in a 'This gentleman's form is as dodgy as fuck' thread. He's not 'overrated' at all, it's just really actually quite difficult to rate him accurately at all as his form is so exceedingly changeable.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 pm

tapehead wrote:Check out his form on IMDB - for every Captain Stanley in The Proposition or Gal in Sexy Beast there's a Mr. French in the Departed [...] or whatshisface in the other really boring thing.

:lol:

tapehead wrote:Ray Winstone belongs in a different thread altogether.

Yes, yes he does. This one!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 am

While it is agreed that Mr studly Cockney Bastard can be the creme de la creme of all things Chav in the movie business, there have been some 'questionable' moments equivalent to one's mother coming home early one day to catch said person in their underwear, provoking parent to ask her son, the same way we ask Ray Winanother10stone with all that Muffin eating you do at the movie set catering table, "WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING!?!?"

He played a cockney geezer in Henry V or something, right? And don't get me started on him being in Love, Honour and Obey. That movie had gangsters torturing a guy with their Viagra'd erections! That movie was so bad, that a month after it came out in England, I flew to Australia! (And I'm still trying to escape ever watching it)

Me and tapehead probably saw each other in Oz and didn't even know it!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:59 am

tapehead wrote: Ray Winstone belongs in a different thread altogether, maybe along side Oliver Reed and Michael Caine in a 'This gentleman's form is as dodgy as fuck' thread. He's not 'overrated' at all, it's just really actually quite difficult to rate him accurately at all as his form is so exceedingly changeable.

To be honest, that applies to most actors I've seen from Brando downwards. I've seen the great and good star and perform in some right stinkers. Whether it's your Darling De Niro, Sublime Streep or Honorable Hanks. They've all put in their fair share of dodgy performances. It's a question of balance, and overall, Ray boy warrants kudos for me.
As for Michael Caine, soooo many shit films, yes, but so many excellent performances, too, in some fine flicks.
And Oliver Reed? Wasted his talent, became a drunken baffoon and ended up like the Keith Moon of actors. A sad caricature.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I think Michael Caine is a brilliant actor. I've never seen a bad performance from him.

However, he just doesn't discriminate when selecting movies to do. He takes everything that comes along; he can't say no. So you keep seeing this great actor slumming in horrible films. He has, probably, the spottiest legacy of any great actor out there. I love watching him, though.
minstrel

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 am

minstrel wrote:I think Michael Caine is a brilliant actor. I've never seen a bad performance from him.

However, he just doesn't discriminate when selecting movies to do. He takes everything that comes along; he can't say no. So you keep seeing this great actor slumming in horrible films. He has, probably, the spottiest legacy of any great actor out there. I love watching him, though.

Caine is one of the greatest screen actors of all time, but he's also , at least at a few points in his career, been a pretty dodgy proposition at times.
To quote Caine himself; "If I work with a bad actor, my reaction is to immediately become worse than they are." Jaws the Revenge, On Deadly Ground and Blame it on Rio are the ones I would point you towards first - in these movies it's not just the role that is terrible - if you think he is 'brilliant' in these movies I would doubt your critical faculties, or at least simply agree to disagree on the subject. I wouldn't say that one can't be drunk and act well, but I would say that when Caine is, he's capable of being pretty terrible. If you're not convinced by these first four try The Island or The Swarm, both godawful movies that Caine sucks pretty hard in.

Caine is prolific, and as you say doesn't discriminate, but he doesn't always elevate the material he has to work with, sometimes it just drags him down to his level. Plus he has been known to do roles strictly to pay the bills.

Oliver Reed, Michael Caine... I'd add Ben Kingsley too - brilliant actor, but man, has he crapped out some dire rubbish as well.

Also Gary Oldman.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby SilentScream on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 am

Yes, Gazza has blemished his career more than once. Why that's happenend, who knows? Money, bad judgement calls, piss poor agent - probably a mixture of all of them. But on form he's as good as anyone out there, from his generation that is. He needs two or three major knock out roles on the bounce to get his mojo flying once more.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby SilentScream on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh, Morgan Freeman. Good bloke, sound actor. But a tad overrated.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

SilentScream wrote:Oh, Morgan Freeman. Good bloke, sound actor. But a tad overrated.

I like Freeman, but he does coast a bit on his beautiful voice and that wise-man look he has. He looks like a black Albert Einstein. Which isn't a bad thing.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 am

i think the people who constantly shit on Owen Wilson should get the fuck over themselves and accept that he has a career in movies and they don't and they should stop being such an asshole about it as if they had any real talent to offer themselves

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:12 am

Peven wrote:i think the people who constantly shit on Owen Wilson should get the fuck over themselves and accept that he has a career in movies and they don't and they should stop being such an asshole about it as if they had any real talent to offer themselves

People just hate Owen Wilson because his nose looks like a penis and it is uncomfortable to look at after a while.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:08 am

Or simply because he's shit and doesn't deserve the career that he has, whilst there's other actors that do but DON'T have such a career. The actor just has so very little to give.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:57 am

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:i think the people who constantly shit on Owen Wilson should get the fuck over themselves and accept that he has a career in movies and they don't and they should stop being such an asshole about it as if they had any real talent to offer themselves

People just hate Owen Wilson because his nose looks like a penis and it is uncomfortable to look at after a while.

Yeah, a definite case of erectile dysfunction.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm

SilentScream wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Yeah, a definite case of erectile dysfunction.

What a Dick! and I don't mean Owen WIlson's nose...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 am

This is ridiculous. For one thing, Owen Wilson shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread, because he's NOT overrated, because nobody seriously rates him very highly at all.

Secondly, we have the right to offer critiques of films and actors and so on. We're fans. You can't say that Owen Wilson is better than we think because he has a movie career and we don't. That's not the path we chose. Sorry, Pev. And the fact that we don't appear in films doesn't mean we don't have any talent. I bet every Zoner has talent in some way or other.

We're not comparing Owen Wilson to ourselves. We're comparing Owen Wilson to other actors, his peers. He comes up short.

Criticizing an actor doesn't make me an asshole. If it did, then everybody who has ever seen a movie is an asshole.
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Peven, my films combined have made more money than Owen Wilson's. This gives me the right to slag him off all the way to the bank.

You're right about the other Zoners though. Just not me.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Judi Dench. The Queen Mum of Screen Actresses. An untouchable who EVERYONE just lurrrves and lurrves and lurrves.
Well, sorry, I just don't buy it. Well, not all of it anyhow.

Can't speak for her stage work. She appears to be one of the best in that medium. But this screengoer ain't seen the lady treading the boards so I can't comment on her pedigree in that field one way or t'other.

But as for her pedigree on the screen? Well, she strikes me as very capable, very dependable, relatively versatile and solid.
But somewhat overrated.

She doesn't match up to the likes of, say, Vanessa Redgrave or Glenda Jackson when you compare her screen performances to theirs.

And that, as they say, is that.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bloo on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:59 pm

I like Judi Dench because she takes chances and brings a Punky Power to parts that just wouldn't work otherwise. I think the mark of a great actor isn't making great works sound great, but making crap good. I can't see Vanessa Redgrave bringing the same...ethic? The same panache to something like Chronicles of Riddick or the James Bond movies that Dench does.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Previous

Return to Actor Discussion