The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Re: The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:37 am

Wrong Sean there,Pev...

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 am

Peven wrote:ok, KON, put up the name of an actor or two you think has had a diverse career, and is a quality actor....

Albert Finney: Rebellious working class northern factory worker in Saturday Night, Sunday Morning; Belgian detective in Murder on the Orient Express; very Irish gangster in Miller's Crossing; Dennis Potter's stand-in in Karaoke/Cold Lazarus; an ageing version of Ewan McGregor in Big Fish. I think a lot of those actors from his generation were expected to bend to the role rather than have the role bend to them. Also, it's the supporting actors who tend to be more flexible than the big stars- they're not called character actors for nothing.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:09 am

Albert Finney is the shizznit, and Murder on the Orient Express is an awesome film. Sean Connery is great in that!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Napset on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 am

Viggo Mortensen, Sean Penn & Christian Bale

Viggo and Sean are amazing actor.....I can't say the right thing about Christian Bale!I saw worst but even that I don't like the way he acting.

RogueScribner wrote:Uma Thurman is going to seek revenge on an expired jar of pickles in Kill Dill.

Or maybe she'll commit suicide by taking a Kill Pill.

Or maybe she'll go after a has-been radio talk show host and Kill Tyll.

:D :D :D LoL!
I don't Know,the ten years are just going to over so The Bride has to come back....what she will does,only Tarantino knowes.
Maybe this time will be "Kill Beatrix",you know 'cause the little girl in volume 1....but sound weird! Isn't?

Anyway I still waiting for Bloody Work!

....Speaking about overrated,I have to say Penelope Cruz.I mean,she's awesome but in the last three years peoples loves all the shit she does.Like Vicky Cristina Barcelona or Nine! :shock:
Two nominees for what? Just beacuse her name is Penelope "The Hot Spanish Woman" Cruz.

p.s.
Again:sorry for my english!
Don't Kid a Kidder!
Houseroom Productions :

I'm Italian and I'm writing from Rome so....sorry for my fucking bad english!
Napset
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

I think the reason, why it often seems that some actors always play the same character, is because...well...they are the same person! You can change the way you move, talk or look like only so much, but in the end the audience is still looking at the same guy from that other movie. Why do you think the Oscar jury often rewards "acting" that only consists of a make up job? (Mostly pretty actresses gone ugly, like Charlize Tharon in "Monster" or Nicole Kidman in whatever movie she had that giant nose, even though I wouldn't Nicole Kidman necessarily "pretty".)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Albert Finney is the shizznit, and Murder on the Orient Express is an awesome film. Sean Connery is great in that!

He also did a great Winston Churchill in The Gathering Storm. Finney is a wonderful actor.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Like Derlang said, I don't know of ANY actor that is completely a brand new person in all of their roles, it's a physical impossibility. They're only ONE person at the end of the day, trying to play MORE than one person. I mean, the great chameleon of them all, Robert de Niro, even in his early heydays of going from one guy to the opposite of him, (Monster boxer in Jake La Motta or Al Capone to all round sensitive guy in Awakenings or Mad Dog and Glory) even then you can still - after a while - spot the same person playing them, albeit he is different as can be in each character.

One actor I find it more difficult to trace down or spot enough of his same mannerisms enough that one could do an impression of him, is Gary Oldman, but a lot of that is because of his physical gets and guises, a Tranny accent and equally tranny hair in Dracula, to Leon, to a goaty beard in Air Force One, a messed up voice and face as Lee Harvey Oswald, and of course Mason Vergil or whatever his name in Hannibal - and who can say that they expected Gary Oldman from his previous roles to end up looking or playing Commissoner Gordon as well as he did. The point again though with this guy, is that a lot of that was down to physical changes to his appearance. Manerisms? No sure yet, a lot of them as I said, were covered.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

I also would like to add that there are many "always the same" actors outthere, who I would consider as great, because they are convincing with what they do. I mean, creating characters is only part of the acting job, but to be honest, it is more important to be believable. Let's take Denzel Washington. A very good actor, but definitely not with a huge range. But what makes him so good is that he is convincing. I believe him when he is angry, sad, happy and so on. He never takes roles in which he has to completely change is appereance. He never played a crazy pirate or a comic book villain. Only people who (could) exist in our world. And he delivered every single time I saw him.
I seriously think the whole discussion, if Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka are the same, just because they are wacky fantasy movie characters who happen to be played by the same actor is complete bullshit, because a.)they are not and b.) you can't tell me that Depp gave a bad performance as even one of them, which is in the end the most important part of acting.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Hehe. Lovefilm had a page that said 'the different faces of Denzel Washington'. They all looked the same. In one he had glasses, another he had a little beard, etc. He looked well the same in all of them. But as you say, he's a smooth dude and one brilliant old actor. He's near the very top when it comes to movie presence and charisma, I'm not just talking about appearance either, it's how he USES his looks and acts with them that gives him these qualities.

Simple stuff like the POV shot of Andrew Beckett in Philidelphia when he's in hospital watching as Denzel puts the oxygen mask back on him. That silent LOOK that Denzel gives him (to the camera) as he does it. So full of so many things on how he feels about Andy, his situation, and the journey they had come on together. It's VERY provoking. That's a great acting skill if you can express so much with your face just using your eyes whatever. It's not like his face was allowed to move in that little clip. So there's some real gift he's got there. Haha! Mr oh so many characters Depp - he don't have that presence or skill to be that evoking like that. It's like he can't score big doing little things, so he compensates by doing big in other ways, big diversity of characters, big personalities, big eccentricities.

Between the 2, there's great examples of an actor who can win his audience's hearts just by standing there doing LITTLE (or laying in bed the whole movie in the case of The Bone Collector), and an actor that I don't think expresses much on screen so has to make up for it by doing a LOT - oooh look at me I'm Jack Sparrow!!

And no, Depp in Scissorhands don't count. Again, that movie snored me, and he's part responsible!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

You should really watch some more movies with Johnny Depp. Not just the big ones from the last 10 years, that made lots of money and gave him mainstream attention.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Wrong Sean there,Pev...

lol, oh shit, i read it as "Bean", damn shouldn't post so late at night :oops:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Ever since he appeared in Platoon (which he was good in too) I've followed the Depp for a lot of films onwards, obviously not all of them. He's a great actor, I'll watch him in more or less anything. He just don't score big on the big acting presence scale for me much in anything I've seen him in.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:49 pm

another good example is jack nicholson. no matter what role or movie, nicholson is always playing a version of jack nicholson. and usually, it works.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 pm

TheBaxter wrote:another good example is jack nicholson. no matter what role or movie, nicholson is always playing a version of jack nicholson. and usually, it works.

Don't forget Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery! Charisma has a lot to do with it. If you don't have it, you are Michael Cera.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:25 pm

I've been very impressed with Anthony Hopkins. If you watch his performance in Nixon and contrast to his performance in The Mask of Zorro, you'll be amazed. It's all in the physicality of the characters: Nixon was an incredibly awkward man, not a touch of physical grace in him, yet Zorro was the consummate swordsman, a nimble and graceful athlete par excellence. Hopkins completely convinced me in both roles. (I know his Nixon didn't look or sound like the real Nixon, but I think his performance captured the essence of the man.) Actors put on voices and accents easily, but how often do you see them modify their physical characters to the extent that Hopkins is able to?
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Check out Hopkins in The World's Fastest Indian too. His characterisations or facial/physical gestures in that film don't at least FEEL related to many other performances. Worlds apart from Hannibal anyway. Shows that what, a 3rd of acting is physical body language, hmmm, there's a lesson to dwell on.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 am

hopkins is very versatile. you can watch him go over the top as hannibal or van helsing, and then all the way to the other extreme in the remains of the day, probably one of the most subtle and restrained film performances ever.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:55 am

I don't think Hopkins has ever matched his performance in The Elephant Man.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:10 am

this is funny shit, the thread is supposed to be about over-rated actors but has become just the opposite, people thinking of actors that aren't

what a positive vibe, gotta dig it

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:19 am

Peven wrote:this is funny shit, the thread is supposed to be about over-rated actors but has become just the opposite, people thinking of actors that aren't

Fucking hippie. :twisted:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Peven wrote:this is funny shit, the thread is supposed to be about over-rated actors but has become just the opposite, people thinking of actors that aren't

Fucking hippie. :twisted:

far out, man :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 am

Hopkins has been pure fucking ham for over 20 years.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am

TonyWilson wrote:Hopkins has been pure fucking ham for over 20 years.

at least as far back as "Lion in Winter"

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Go and watch Shadowlands you sonofabitch.

Or try out these delicious Anthony Hopkins REALLY hamming it up on these TV ADVERTS never seen before...

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/1fe6 ... rel=player
http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/eb48 ... part-three
http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/2183 ... rel=player
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Peven wrote:

at least as far back as "Lion in Winter"

"Lion in Winter" is one of my favorite movies! And Hopkins wasn't the ham - Peter O'Toole was! And he was the most delicious ham ever on screen.
Girl: "So what happens now?"
O'Toole as Henry II: "I have no idea. But I know I'm winning. And I know I'll win. Oh, God, but I do love being king!"

Beautiful stuff!
minstrel

Postby Napset on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Don't forget Clint Eastwood

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????????????????????????????????????????????????? Clint Eastwood overrated? Why sir?
Don't Kid a Kidder!
Houseroom Productions :

I'm Italian and I'm writing from Rome so....sorry for my fucking bad english!
Napset
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Napset wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Don't forget Clint Eastwood

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????????????????????????????????????????????????? Clint Eastwood overrated? Why sir?

I'm with Napset on this one. Clint was always regarded very highly as an actor though one that seems to play himself. He just does it very well and underhanded. I don't think people give him the reputation of one of the great excelling actors though. A great star maybe.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:39 am

I'm not replying to this, because you quoted me completely out of context, therefore you are talking bullshit and I don't reply to bullshit. :x
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:51 am

Lol, I noticed that. You were saying he was a charismatic mofo, not an overrated one. As a director I'd say he's definitely way overrated though. Apart from his stuff before and including Unforgiven, his movies appear OK enough: they have good casts, alright scripts and direction...but they just don't come alive for me. And I hate to say it, but it's obvious that this craggy, badass son of a gun tries way too hard to cowtow to the lily-livered mothers boys at the Academy.

DerLanghaarige wrote: Denzel Washington.

I take it you've never seen He Got Game or Malcolm X? He was great in those movies.

:wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 am

he wasn't half bad in "Philadelphia" either....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:43 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I'm not replying to this, because you quoted me completely out of context, therefore you are talking bullshit and I don't reply to bullshit. :x

Thanks for making me waste a post, Napset! Haha. My apologies to Derlang, yeah I just went back up the page and saw what you meant.

I well agree with Seppu about Clint as a director though. It seems he just picks the scripts that scream 'IMPORTANT ISSUE!!!' on them too much. I mean, is Clint REALLY that passionate about all these themes in films like Invictus, The Changeling and countless other films that have SERIOUS SUBJECT MATTER on them? It's all a bit generic his interest in what he chooses to make movies about, I wonder how deeply personal he feels or even knows about the the stories he chooses to do (I dunno, maybe he 's a fast reader and reads a lot of newspapers). You can imagine Spike Lee getting all 'white motherfucker' about him 'cos HE wanted to make Invictus but Clint's clout beat him to it. Get what I mean?

So yeah, seems like any ol' script that has 'ACADEMY WILL LIKE THIS' Clint will do yeah whatever no worries now let me get back to my game of golf.

And sometimes his straightforward safe take no chances or be experimental style will work, sometimes it will render the film flat and make you wish that someone else who had more personal connection or experience to that story would have done it instead.

I DO like the guy and his movies though. Generically!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Seppuku wrote:Lol, I noticed that. You were saying he was a charismatic mofo, not an overrated one. As a director I'd say he's definitely way overrated though. Apart from his stuff before and including Unforgiven, his movies appear OK enough: they have good casts, alright scripts and direction...but they just don't come alive for me. And I hate to say it, but it's obvious that this craggy, badass son of a gun tries way too hard to cowtow to the lily-livered mothers boys at the Academy.

DerLanghaarige wrote: Denzel Washington.

I take it you've never seen He Got Game or Malcolm X? He was great in those movies.

:wink:

or Glory.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby cerafan86 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Julia Roberts. I think she is a great actress, just a bit overrated. I mean, she got 6 mil for like 2 mins of screen time in the valentines movie.
Thou art noble. Thou art divine. Thou art dead.
cerafan86
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 am

cerafan86 wrote:Julia Roberts. I think she is a great actress, just a bit overrated. I mean, she got 6 mil for like 2 mins of screen time in the valentines movie.

Just out of interest which actresses would you really rate?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:35 am

Michael Cera, I'm betting. :wink:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby chimptypewriter on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:50 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
cerafan86 wrote:Julia Roberts. I think she is a great actress, just a bit overrated. I mean, she got 6 mil for like 2 mins of screen time in the valentines movie.

Just out of interest which actresses would you really rate?

What do you mean? Which actresses would i really rate high, as in great actresses, or which actresses would I really rate low as in highly overrated. I think some great actresses are (off the top of my head, there are def more worth mentioning) helen mirren, cate blanchet, Maggie smith, Meryl Streep, naomi watts, Tilda Swinton, Sigourney weaver, rachel weisz, julianne moore, laura linney, emily blunt?, rachel mcadams? Anne hathaway? Zooey deschanel? some overrated actresses are (some are known for not being that great but I am listing them because they are huge stars and make lots of money for acting. may bot be over rated, just over exposed. also, a lot of these I do think are decent actresses, they play a certain role really well) Angelina Jolie, Jenifer lopez (i do love selena though haha), scarlett johansson, Halle Berry, nicole kidman, jennifer aniston, cameron diaz, Julia roberts, kate hudson, sarah jessica parker, Paltrow, meg ryan,
chimptypewriter
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby SilentScream on Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm

SHHHHHHEAN CONNERY.
Fuck, is this guy a ONE TRICK PONY. Takes himself far tooooo seriously and, better still, think's he's a good actor. Yes, The Hill, The Offence were decent performances but that's your lot, kiddos. James Bond is a surface character and nothing more and in most other things I've seen him in he's just....well.....plain ordinary with his accent becoming a progressive caricature of himself.
Thank fuck wiggy has finally retired.

I know Harrison Ford is not regarded as a great actor but I've always found him kind of stilted as an actor, not bad, but slightly wooden and flat.

Have to say I don't share the full love for Denzel either. A good, solid actor, yes. Occassionally shines (Malcolm X, Glory) but there's something devious about his acting technique that chills me, leaves me cold. A certain propensity to be a more commanding screen presence than what he actually he. I prefer Forest Whittacker myself. He has more vunerability and is more truthful to me.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 pm

SilentScream wrote:SHHHHHHEAN CONNERY.
Fuck, is this guy a ONE TRICK PONY. Takes himself far tooooo seriously and, better still, think's he's a good actor. Yes, The Hill, The Offence were decent performances but that's your lot, kiddos. James Bond is a surface character and nothing more and in most other things I've seen him in he's just....well.....plain ordinary with his accent becoming a progressive caricature of himself.

Thats SIR Connery to you pal.

And although there may be some truth to the one trick pony remark, I think saying he's overrated is going a bit too far.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentScream on Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm

so sorry wrote:
SilentScream wrote:

Thats SIR Connery to you pal.

And although there may be some truth to the one trick pony remark, I think saying he's overrated is going a bit too far.

NO, that's SHIT Connery to me, pal.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Slagging Connery is punishable by death over here & seeing as i started this thread, i'd say it falls under Scottish jurisdiction.
You will now be escorted to prison while you await trial.
My suggestion?
Do time nice... take it up the arse
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby SilentScream on Wed May 18, 2011 12:40 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Slagging Connery is punishable by death over here & seeing as i started this thread, i'd say it falls under Scottish jurisdiction.
My suggestion?

As I'm g@y that's seems perfectly ok to me. Just make it a Jock in a kilt with a large sporran ok???

And you aint got your Independence just yet :wink:
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 18, 2011 12:51 pm

SilentScream wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:Slagging Connery is punishable by death over here & seeing as i started this thread, i'd say it falls under Scottish jurisdiction.
My suggestion?

As I'm g@y that's seems perfectly ok to me. Just make it a Jock in a kilt with a large sporran ok???

And you aint got your Independence just yet :wink:

KON, if Sean Connery is such a devoted Scottish patriot, why does he live in Spain all the time? Aaahh got ya there!

I worked with Sean Connery too and can give testimonial proof that he is Dumbledore too.

Silentscream, can you be more specific about Denzel? Some mates of mine are on the same wavelength as you, it would be nice to hear more. I know Denzel points a lot.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
KON, if Sean Connery is such a devoted Scottish patriot, why does he live in Spain all the time?
Tax reasons.
Cpt Kirk's 2pay wrote:I worked with Sean Connery too and can give testimonial proof that he is Dumbledore too.

Not Dumbledore, but he will be playing Jean-Luc Picard in the TNG reboot...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby SilentScream on Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Silentscream, can you be more specific about Denzel? Some mates of mine are on the same wavelength as you, it would be nice to hear more. I know Denzel points a lot.

How can I put it......? There's a determined calculation to his performances, you can see it on the screen, like he's thinking it out as he acts it. The emotions don't seem real to me, it doesn't correspond, it's technical, analytical acting - from the head instead of the heart. Yes, he hits the mark at times, but often as not he comes across to me as a performer who is good (at times very good) but a performer who still thinks he is better than he is. He tries genuinely to reach a deepness in his acting but he cannot because instead of truthfulness there's a tightness, a frigidness, a detachment which informs his technique. I never really wholly believe in his characterisations - bar a few. I see an actor working his technique out on screen. For that he falls short for me. Good but not great.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bloo on Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

I can see your point about Denzel. I think he's put in some amazing performances over the years, but recently, he's lost a lot of the passion that he put into something like MALCOM X
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Yeah, the Zel is very Screeny Actory isn't he-y? Maybe it's just that he has perfect on camera charisma, but I too do feel that he is consciously mugging it up for the camera a lot, like he's taken too many Acting For the Screen lessons for his own good, I get that '4 sides of the screen' feeling when I watch him. You know, which is fine, watch his work talking to the Jury via acting right to the camera's POV in Philedelphia, it's brilliant stuff. Or his eyes when he puts Andrew Beckett's oxygen mask back on for him when he does this to the camera's POV at the end. It's very jolting, moving.

And all this from a guy who inheritently is a theatre actor to begin with. He did Shakespeare before he was n TV I think, an I saw him in New York doing the Julius Caesar play. I just give him his dues for that diverse talent.

But still, like you above and I said, with all that know how in how to perform for the camera, comes that mechanical, over deliberate, and consequently a bit of lack of natural movement as a result. Which sometimes shows more than we'd like.

Mostly for me though, and as Colonel_Lugz said, he does play himself too much. I saw Lovefilm put up a page on 'The many faces of Denzel Washington' and I thought "You having a laugh?" as the pics they showed of Zel from some of his films, well he basically looked like the same guy, as he does play a lot, not just in physical appearance too. Shaving your head can't save you, Zel!

So that's what, if anything, makes him overrated.

I think Kevin, I'm always the same, Spacey was overrated from day one.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Wed May 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I think Kevin, I'm always the same, Spacey was overrated from day one.

So... fist thing I saw him in was Henry and June, and I was way too caught up in the sex scenes involving Uma Thurman and Maria de Medeiros to pay much attention. From then - his weasley office manager in Glengarry Glen Ross? Or Verbal Klint/Keyser Soze in the Usual Suspects? Or his next role of note, the dead-eyed slow-moving psychopath in Seven? He must have been overrated in one of these, because the next things that comes to mind is LA Confidential or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil... and then we're up to American Beauty. I think you might have grounds to claim Spacey is overrated once he started turning up and hamming it up in stuff like KPax or or Pay it Fucking Forward, but that opening run of film roles for him was pretty fucking golden, so it's just wrong to say that he was 'overrated from day one', and you know it Kirks, so admit it, go on say it, say that you were wrong and that you're sorry. Kevin Spacey's not overrated, you're overrated.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bloo on Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 pm

tapehead wrote: you're overrated.

can one be overrated if they've never been rated ;)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm

I might be going out on a limb a bit here and say that I think that Jack Nicholson is overrated, either at times, or to a small degree, maybe completely.

But I just feel that Jack plays Jack, too much, too often, and sometimes too obnoxiously. The typical old Devil that has loads of hot chicks around him load of bollox etc. How many times has he done this, sometimes feeling like he's walking through the film? Something's Gotta Give, The Bucket List, etc. It's like the role was REWRITTEN at Nicholson's request, him saying "Yeah but can I shag these young girls like I do in real life too, please? In fact, let's NOT make my character Dumbledore at all."

Don't get me started on The Departed, not so much for the above reasons, but where all of that role was like it was Scorsese playing (or forced to play) Nicholson up to his persona times 5 to 10. All that laughing, intimidating, womanising, eccentric act that just seemed so lazy and caricatured, whereas good 'ol Leo showed him just how focused a performance should be, that alone making him more than hold the show with a guy who looked like he was breezing through this film.

Yeah yeah, I know these are recent films and we're banging on about an old goat who still has learned new tricks with The Pledge (quiet, introvertive, lost dog kinda guy) and About Schimdt (restrained, sensitive, weak) but still, those movies I mentioned above are sooo many repeats on the same guy that we've seen Nicholson play before. Terms of Endearment anyone?

You know, Sean Penn was asked who the best actor in the world was, or something similar, and he said Jack Nicholson. Yeah? Maybe If he spread himself a bit wider and was less repetitive and 'Jack', the guy can do soooo many things, and do them strongly. But we're basing the objective of this thread on what we've SEEN an actor do, and for me, it's not enough, I want more freshness.

I will also admit, that Jack Nicholson is a great example of performances that a lot of the times, I get blown away by for the first 3rd or so of a film, then after that, I think, why am I getting bored or frustrated with this guy? That's another question that I should deal with. Maybe I take his onscreen presence for granted, I dunno. But often I think that there should be more. More interest generated by his acting. I dunno, is he too one-note, or does he change or step it up enough as his character arcs? But I still think that that feeling I have is there for a good reason. Anyway, more About Schmidt and less The Departed, please.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

tapehead wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I think Kevin, I'm always the same, Spacey was overrated from day one.

So... fist thing I saw him in was Henry and June, and I was way too caught up in the sex scenes involving Uma Thurman and Maria de Medeiros to pay much attention. From then - his weasley office manager in Glengarry Glen Ross? Or Verbal Klint/Keyser Soze in the Usual Suspects? Or his next role of note, the dead-eyed slow-moving psychopath in Seven? He must have been overrated in one of these, because the next things that comes to mind is LA Confidential or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil... and then we're up to American Beauty. I think you might have grounds to claim Spacey is overrated once he started turning up and hamming it up in stuff like KPax or or Pay it Fucking Forward, but that opening run of film roles for him was pretty fucking golden, so it's just wrong to say that he was 'overrated from day one', and you know it Kirks, so admit it, go on say it, say that you were wrong and that you're sorry. Kevin Spacey's not overrated, you're overrated.

Hahahahaa!! You know all this time was writing about Jack Nicholson and thinking "what would tapehead think of what I'm saying? Would he agree or call me out on this?" Hahaha!! Brilliant. And I was also choosing my words carefully as I could feel you looking over my shoulder as I wrote this.

Imagine my surprise, my total SHOCK, when all that time, you was writing alongside me here, to derail me, to DESTROY ME, as I destroyed your haircut with my Ellen Page comparisons to you.

Sigh, OK, well I've been drinking as I gotta get up early for, guess what? An acting class tomorrow, so I won't say much here, but maybe later. But for now, yeah, from the first time I saw Kevin Spacey in Glengary onwards (which I never thought was much more than one of the major standout performances in that film), I never found his performances to be that diverse or mind blowing. Yeah he's great, he's got a great delivery that can be intimidating and scary, but I just would rate him as high as an actor like Pacino in terms of his overall effect, as I just FEEL that people's praise of Spacey's is putting him on the same pedestal as, even if they're not rating him as highly. From a personal pov, I just don't feel that Spacey's up there so high as I feel that people rate him to be.

He's a bit plain, he plays the same mannerisms, character, voice, delivery, fucking haircut, far too often, that's all. Yeah, he might be more tighter and more focused in his days of American Beauty or Se7en compared to K-Pax or pay it Forward. For me, it's not enough. Same guy.

Don't get me started on the biggest culprit of overratedness that is mostly responsible for why I'm here and running for President with my accusation in the first place - A fucking Oscar for The Usual Suspects?!?!? What piece of great, exceptional acting did he do in that film that was much more emotionally demanding than any other supporting performance that year? He sat in a chair and talked. Not like he had to kill himself in stretching his emotions or doing any piece of acting that we'd think would be physically damaging or exhausting. He just played a guy who might not be all he appeared to be. Man, all that was in the script! I don't think that what he did in that performance was enough to justify an Oscar, let alone a darn nomination. I was surprised when he was nominated.

As my mate said, who is more into films than me, "All Spacey did was limp, and change his wrist at the end". Good acting? Yes? Hardly demanding or gruelling ala Shakespeare or Raging Bull though. Somewhere in a great Burger King in the sky, Marlon Brando is laughing.

At YOU, tapehead. At YO!u Damn you caps lock for not co-operating properly.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion